Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Those pesky babies!! The suspense!!

I didn't have that problem... after my waters broke... I had no pains... and was induced the following day... had contractions, but they were brought on with oxytocin drip!!

I hear oxytocin can make everything v painful! It's so annoying, I want my baby to be here so much, but I am convinced that baby is being delayed by my stress of not wanting to move in with my OHs mother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I hear that too... I got the epidural though, so didn't feel all that much... I was trying to cope on the gas and air and tbh all it does is give you something else to concentrate on...

Ok everyone we actually have movement, rushed myself to hospital at 2.30 last night! Lads of fluid and plenty of pain! Went in was checked out and baby is after bursting the membrane however the head is nowhere near far enough down to actually get baby to continue its evacuation sequence!
    So I am to be to the Rotunda at 8am tomorrow for an induction and if we cannot get it head down, we are going to have to get a section. Only thing is I have painful enough contraction pains for myself!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Ok everyone we actually have movement, rushed myself to hospital at 2.30 last night! Lads of fluid and plenty of pain! Went in was checked out and baby is after bursting the membrane however the head is nowhere near far enough down to actually get baby to continue its evacuation sequence!
    So I am to be to the Rotunda at 8am tomorrow for an induction and if we cannot get it head down, we are going to have to get a section. Only thing is I have painful enough contraction pains for myself!:(

Walk, walk, walk - nothing is better for getting the head down than gravity. Don't wear yourself out, though, you'll need your energy.

As for oxytocin making the contractions stronger, contractions will only get to a certain strength regardless of intervention, the problem is that they feel stronger because there's no easy ones in the beginning and gradual increase in intensity - it's hard core from the get go. But you dont need to worry about that, you've already started having pains so you are easing yourself in to it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Oh good luck wolf!!! I have my fingers crossed for you and I am looking forward to hearing how you get on.

I am so sick! I haven't been so sick in years. The doctor diagnosed Bronchitis yesterday and then yesterday evening I got struck down with an awful cold/flu on top of it. Didn't sleep a wink last night over not being able to breath. I know it doesn't have any effect on the baby but still doesn't stop me worrying.

• Advertisement

I have been doing bits and pieces all day trying to keep myself moving and trying to keep me distracted. V sore for some of the day! But plenty of movement too from baby. hopefully it will have dropped or at least is ready for an invasion in to get it:) I am so nervous! I am terrified at what tomorrow will bring!

gowayouttadat I know how you feel I had a chest infection, sore throat and a head cold all at once just after xmas and it was the worst I have ever felt in my life! My throat was so sore, my nose was blocked and my chest was sticky. I took nothing for it because I was terrified of doing something to the baby but really the doctor killed me because I did us more harm than good, because I wouldnt eat baby and I werent gaining weight, never a good thing! So as long as that doc knows your pregnant you'll be fine:) Sit up but lean back with the feet up when you can and drink loads of fluids and you een if you cant sleep you'll get some well needed rest, which is almost as good

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

wolfpawnat - Good Luck tomorrow Hon:)
    This time tomorrow you will probably be mammy wolf;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wohoo good luck wolfpawnat!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ooh Good luck Wolfpawnat!:)

Hey everyone, just back online, very busy over the last few days!

I had a 7lb9 little boy whom my OH and I have named after my oH's deceased father Aidan.

Induction took literally all day! Induced at 8am labour started midnight. Was in labour until 5.00am when fetal distress caused me to have to have a c-section. I was put under general anaestetic. I didnt get to see the little man til 4.30 in the afternoon because he was in neo natal unit being monitored. So I was discharged on Saturday and I am trying to get used to life now:)

• Advertisement

Does any one have any tips for heartburn? I've started getting it every day for the last few days. I've never really suffered from it before. I thought it was something that didn't start affecting you until the third trimester but obviously not!! It's driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Gavascon! (though always read the label/ask a pharmacist) I had heartburn from the begining, they worked a treat. Good luck!

I found the Gaviscon tablets cheaper and more effective than the bottle, not to mention travel convenient. The other thing that sorts it easily is a glass of milk, or other cold dairy products:) We have all been there, it is aggrevating and uncomfortable.

Gaviscon - aniseed tastes the best, and the chewable sweetie ones are actually nice. Mmmm... heartburny....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hmm...am getting that already, hopefully I will be joining you ladies again soon...btw, I like the lemon ones...

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Hmm...am getting that already, hopefully I will be joining you ladies again soon...btw, I like the lemon ones...

Ewww, lemon :)

Fingers, arms, toes, legs and eyes crossed for you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Can some of you ladies help. The girlfriend is getting some sharp stabbing pains in her abdomen for the last week or so, her book says its natural and its just her womb expanding but its worrying me and she wont go to the doctor about it, is it as simple as the womb expanding?

Oh and her legs and ass are getting sore through the night from sleeping on her side, any remedies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

You need to give her a nice rub down/massage to get the circulation going!!

Melion wrote: »
    Can some of you ladies help. The girlfriend is getting some sharp stabbing pains in her abdomen for the last week or so, her book says its natural and its just her womb expanding but its worrying me and she wont go to the doctor about it, is it as simple as the womb expanding?

Oh and her legs and ass are getting sore through the night from sleeping on her side, any remedies?

Don't worry about the pains. I'm getting them too, they're perfectly normal. As the book says, it's just the body stretching etc.

As for remedies, have to second Quality's answer :)

Melion wrote: »

The pains sound normal.. I used to get awful pains in my hips etc from sleeping on my side - this saved my sanity! Made a huge difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

taking a magnesium supplement is also good for these pains, it relaxes the muscles from the inside. But my midwife said not to keep taking them when the pains improve, because the abdominal muscles do need to strengthen themselves in preparation for birth.

I've no help for the sore legs and ass, i find it bad too at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ladies, Just found out the wife is preg again. she is 2 weeks over and only told me (Bitch -only jokin Love her really.) Am on a high but nervous. She lost the last one. Very badly. Is there a good way to loose one I hear you say.

What made her do the test - She felt bloated, nothing to do with being over???? Weird. Anyway still lookin at the stick it looks georgous. Thinking of naming the stick never mind the child.

Any way - Buying gaviscon etc she always gets heart burn. I love mat clothes on her ( and off her) cant wait. This will be our second. You all all prev, my family does not even know yet!

Cant wait.... Will be checking in a bit to see how you are all doin.

Bye....

CathyMoran wrote: »

I'm not a very religious person but I am genuinely praying that you have a positive result soon Cathy, you and your OH deserve the happiness that a baby brings:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

CONGRATS on the birth of your son....he's beautiful :)

Can anybody tell me how closely they look at the 20 week ultrasound for anomalys?
    I'm going public and have my 20 week scan on the 26th of March. I'm trying to find out if they pay close attention to this scan for anything that might be wrong. I'm worried that because I'm low risk... young, no family history of any anything etc that they won't be as thorough. If I thought that was the case I'd be tempted to book a private anomaly scan. I've already booked a private 3D scan so I don't want to be paying out money on a private anomaly scan if it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

If you're in a hosp that does anomaly scans they look for the same markers for everyone. If something seems amiss they probably look closer. I remember you were looking into nuchal scans a while back. I take it you didn't get it done then?

Grawns wrote: »
    If you're in a hosp that does anomaly scans they look for the same markers for everyone. If something seems amiss they probably look closer. I remember you were looking into nuchal scans a while back. I take it you didn't get it done then?

No, I didn't. The hospital didn't do them.
    I have considered an amnio but I keep changing my mind. I know it would probably put my mind at ease but I'm worrying about the risks.

Tbh I keep getting fobbed off by the midwife/doctor in the hospital because I'm young, they just say that everything will be fine as I'm low risk.
    How do you find out if your hosp does anomaly scans?

I don't know why I'm so paranoid about something being wrong. I've had problems with my spine and even though I've been told it's not hereditory I can't get the thought out of my head. I suppose that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

Can anybody tell me how closely they look at the 20 week ultrasound for anomalys?
    I'm going public and have my 20 week scan on the 26th of March. I'm trying to find out if they pay close attention to this scan for anything that might be wrong. I'm worried that because I'm low risk... young, no family history of any anything etc that they won't be as thorough.

Like yourself, I'm also a public patient, young, low risk etc etc. When I went for my 20 week scan I was told it was specifically a scan to check for anomalies. As far as I understand, at all hospitals the 18-22 week scan is specifically an anomally scan, as this is the best time to detect any problems. (this is actually the only scan that some public patients, like me, are offered).

Before the scan they gave us a leaflet explaining exactly what type of anomalies they would be checking for (e.g. with the brain, heart, kidney, bowel, etc etc), and the associated chance of detecting them. They also highlighted the limitations of the scan, things they can't detect or have a low chance of detecting.

When we went in for the scan the sonographer/radiographer (or whatever you call them!) doing the scan, explained again exactly what she would be doing and what she would be looking for. And while she was doing the scan, she talked us through exactly what she was looking for. I think the whole thing took almost half an hour.

I found the whole thing very through, and I had no concerns that I wasn't being assessed properly or I was being fobbed off because I was considered low risk. In fact, I would be slightly wary of relying solely on a 3D or 4D scan to detect anomalies, because the companies who do them aren't always connected to a hospital.

VeryBerry wrote: »
    Like yourself, I'm also a public patient, young, low risk etc etc. When I went for my 20 week scan I was told it was specifically a scan to check for anomalies. As far as I understand, at all hospitals the 18-22 week scan is specifically an anomally scan, as this is the best time to detect any problems. (this is actually the only scan that some public patients, like me, are offered).

Before the scan they gave us a leaflet explaining exactly what type of anomalies they would be checking for (e.g. with the brain, heart, kidney, bowel, etc etc), and the associated chance of detecting them. They also highlighted the limitations of the scan, things they can't detect or have a low chance of detecting.

When we went in for the scan the sonographer/radiographer (or whatever you call them!) doing the scan, explained again exactly what she would be doing and what she would be looking for. And while she was doing the scan, she talked us through exactly what she was looking for. I think the whole thing took almost half an hour.

I found the whole thing very through, and I had no concerns that I wasn't being assessed properly or I was being fobbed off because I was considered low risk. In fact, I would be slightly wary of relying solely on a 3D or 4D scan to detect anomalies, because the companies who do them aren't always connected to a hospital.

Perfect. Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I'll assume it will all be explained before the scan on the 26th so. I was just wary because at the 12 week scan the sonographer showed us a few things but she didn't really give a huge amount of detail etc so I thought the 20 week scan might be the same.
    If the process isn't like what you explained above I suppose I can look into a private anamoly scan a bit further. I defo wouldn't rely on the 3D scan for it as this isn't what the 3D scan is for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

Perfect. Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I'll assume it will all be explained before the scan on the 26th so. I was just wary because at the 12 week scan the sonographer showed us a few things but she didn't really give a huge amount of detail etc so I thought the 20 week scan might be the same.

I think that's because at 12 weeks there's a much lower chance of detecting any anomalies, and its more difficult because the baby is still developing?

We went for a private scan at 12weeks (hopsital only offers the one scan at 18-22 weeks) and they told us that really all they could say from the scan at 12 weeks was there was a baby there, and that it had a heartbeat, and give you an idea of dates.

I can understand completely why you're worried. I was exactly the same before our big scan. But the hospital staff are trained and know what they're doing. Just make sure and ask any questions on the day to put your mind at ease.

Advertisement