Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats Tigeress!!!!Welcome baby Evan!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmacash

Great news...congratulations tigeress x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Quick question girls. I'm 31.5 weeks now and up until now i have had a very active baby. I'm aware that as the baby grows there is less space for movement but today, I've had very little movement. There has been some but it's sporadic and involves me movement t a time rather than 5mins if constant movement. At what point would you become concerned? I'm worrying myself now thinking about the cord being wrapped around it or something :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Yellow Hen if you are concerned you should get it checked out for peace of mind.

My friends was told that you should feel 10 kicks a day. They can either be all at the same time or spread out.

kitten_k wrote: »
    Yellow Hen if you are concerned you should get it checked out for peace of mind.

My friends was told that you should feel 10 kicks a day. They can either be all at the same time or spread out.

Thanks kitten, I probably am getting 10 per day. I'll sit tight for tonight and see how I feel in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yellow hen wrote: »

Thanks kitten, I probably am getting 10 per day. I'll sit tight for tonight and see how I feel in the morning.
    Drink a bottle of cold lucozade if you are concerned , you should get kicks pretty fast :) that is what I was told when I was pregnant with my 1st :)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Drink a bottle of cold lucozade if you are concerned , you should get kicks pretty fast :) that is what I was told when I was pregnant with my 1st :)

Husband flew around to the shop and got a bottle of lucozade and within 3 mins there was a kick. Had a few kicks in a row now and am totally relieved. The level of movement definitely changed though from what it used to be. Anyways, I can sleep tight now :)
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Husband flew around to the shop and got a bottle of lucozade and within 3 mins there was a kick. Had a few kicks in a row now and am totally relieved. The level of movement definitely changed though from what it used to be. Anyways, I can sleep tight now :)
    Thanks!

May e the baby has changed position and you can't feel the movement as much? That used to happen to me and if totally panic . But if they are kicking the placenta etc u wont feel so much!
    But yeah if the regular tricks like the lucozade or ice cream (any excuse ;) ) don't work no harm in going getting it checked even if just for peace of mind!

Oh good god, the lucozade is killing with me cramps now. Probably just gas but hard to lie down on all the same ...maybe not such a good nights sleep ahead after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Hope you and babs are feeling better this morning YH!

Lucozade works every time for me. I absolutely love it though (a minority I know) so I have to limit it to one bottle a week as the effect it had on baby freaks me!!

• Advertisement

Digs wrote: »
    Hope you and babs are feeling better this morning YH!

Lucozade works every time for me. I absolutely love it though (a minority I know) so I have to limit it to one bottle a week as the effect it had on baby freaks me!!

Thanks Digs, had some movement already this morning so will try be vigilent in work today to see how much it moves. I tend to only notice in the evening. I had such bad gas last night after the lucozade...:o Anyways, it did the job!

Yellow hen it's not unusual not to feel movement during the day as they are kind of rocked up sleep by all your movement. They tend to wake up when you sit or lie down so you'd notice it more in the evening or when you go to bed.

I think it's nature's way of getting mums to be used to never having a minute to themselves or have an undisrupted nights sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Thanks Digs, had some movement already this morning so will try be vigilent in work today to see how much it moves. I tend to only notice in the evening. I had such bad gas last night after the lucozade...:o Anyways, it did the job!

YH try get into the habit of counting 10 movements a day. I know some people will say that will cause more worry because if ya don't get the 10 ya'll be so worked up but you will actually be surprised how quick you will feel 10. I have an app on my phone and i use that, once ya hit 10 it stops counting. when i was in hosp before Xmas due to lack of movement the consultant said regardless of how the baby is lying or where the placenta is you should feel 10. (my placenta was to the front cushioning baby's movements but she said even then i should still feel 10) if your in doubt at all, its best to be checked out if nothing else it is peace of mind.

Hope your feeling better today x

Girls I know they have been recommended before but due to alot of burying my head in the sand and avoiding one born every minute I got the gentle birth postive hospital birth CD and book. Have been listening to the cd in the car on the way to work and home and finding it really good and calming! The proof will be in the pudding come D day though!

Website have some offers on at the moment too so you might pick them up cheap if anyone is interested :)

www.gentlebirth.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Digs wrote: »
    Girls I know they have been recommended before but due to alot of burying my head in the sand and avoiding one born every minute I got the gentle birth postive hospital birth CD and book. Have been listening to the cd in the car on the way to work and home and finding it really good and calming! The proof will be in the pudding come D day though!

Website have some offers on at the moment too so you might pick them up cheap if anyone is interested :)

www.gentlebirth.ie

Be careful listening to that in the car as might be a little too calming ?!

I loved them last time!

Dublinlady is right. It's not recommended to be used when driving as its a form of hypnotherapy.

Haha sorry thanks ladies but I should have explained. Hubby has been dropping me in and picking me up since chrimbo as he is on a project near my work for the month! Have been popping the head phones in while I'm still half asleep....

No zombie driving goin on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Had my 27 week appointment today and there worried bout my blood sugar levels. He insisted I drank lucozade and all I had was water. So now iv to be tested again Thursday and if that's the same there checking for gestational diabetes. Anyone else got this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Ah deck shadow that is a right pain. Hugs. I've never had it so unfortunately I'm no help to ya. But hugs anyway.

Lots of movement in work today. This little monkey seems to get quiet in the e info when I'm resting and waiting to feel the movement...total opposite of what's meant to happen! Work is mad at the minute and I'm working long ours and I am totally shattered when I get home in the eve :(

Synyster, I had to have the GTT test but thankfully I didn't have it. Fingers crossed you won't either. Had you eaten anything particularly sweet just before your last consultants visit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

thanks thumby... yellow hen nope I hadnt so dont know why its high been years since it showed up in pee test.
    I've got PCOS and its common for high blood sugars so am hoping that its just that playing up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

thanks thumby... yellow hen nope I hadnt so dont know why its high been years since it showed up in pee test.
    I've got PCOS and its common for high blood sugars so am hoping that its just that playing up again

Fingers crossed it's just a blip and nothing more serious! :)

Quick question ladies, for anyone that had their pregnancy going public in Holles St - I have an antenatal appointment with the consultant next month (at 21 weeks). Appointment is at 8am. Am I right in thinking I could be there for hours and hours and not be seen until much later in the day? I need to give my boss a heads up that where I'll be that day and I want to manage his expectations that I may not get in to the office until the afternoon. I'm covering another girls maternity leave and she went private so I think she didn't have much waiting, want to make sure my boss knows I'm not in a similar situation.

Also, I have my anomaly scan before that and have been given a time for that. Does that one usually run on time? i.e. you won't be waiting hours and hours?

Murdy the appointment with the consultant is an open appointment i.e everyone is told between 8-10. My friend is currently going public in Holles Street, we usually make sure we are there at about 7.45 to get in the queue, so far the latest we have been there is 10.30 but that was due to a mix up. We are usually out about 9 - 9.30.

As for the scan, we were only waiting 20 mins to be seen and then about 15/20 mins in the scan.

Murdy the appointment with the consultant is an open appointment i.e everyone is told between 8-10. My friend is currently going public in Holles Street, we usually make sure we are there at about 7.45 to get in the queue, so far the latest we have been there is 10.30 but that was due to a mix up. We are usually out about 9 - 9.30.

As for the scan, we were only waiting 20 mins to be seen and then about 15/20 mins in the scan.

Thanks! That doesn't sound as bad as I thought - I was thinking it would like 1pm before I was seen. :D I presume you only spend like 5 minutes with the consultant as well?

Not super thrilled about having to get up at the crack of dawn though, I am not a morning person!

I am not either - we have to get up at 6am to be ready and in the hospital for 7.45!!

Yea you are only a few mins with the consultant.

As this is your first appointment you will have to give a blood and urine sample.

I am not either - we have to get up at 6am to be ready and in the hospital for 7.45!!

Yea you are only a few mins with the consultant.

As this is your first appointment you will have to give a blood and urine sample.

I gave blood and urine at my 12 week booking in appointment with the midwives. Will I still need to give it again do you think?

I've been in there a twice in the last month due to severe morning sickness and I'm already fed up of weeing into cups for them!

You will need to give urine (they do this at every appointment) I don't think you will need to give blood.

You will need to give urine (they do this at every appointment) I don't think you will need to give blood.

Great, was hoping I wouldn't have to give blood again. I don't mind it but it's not pleasant. I will come prepared to give them my wees. :)

Thanks for your help!

No problem. My friend has her appointment tomorrow (she is 35+4) and I go with her so am not looking forward to the early start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I gave blood and urine at my 12 week booking in appointment with the midwives. Will I still need to give it again do you think?

I've been in there a twice in the last month due to severe morning sickness and I'm already fed up of weeing into cups for them!

Sadly sweetie, obligatory pee in a cup every time to check for infections and protein levels (a sign of pre-eclampsia), but blood is only every other appointment.

I used bring books with me last time, this time I am not so sure. Actually can anyone tell me if there is nothing special about this pregnancy, will I be allowed use the midwife clinic again after an emergency section on my last pregnancy? The thought of waiting around for a obstetrician is making me nauseous in itself.

Advertisement