Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I know when I changed over to the Coombe they wouldn't let me see the midwife clinic because of my previous c section. I had to be with the consultants but the Rotunda might be different. I only ever had one blood test during my care in the Rotunda!

I'm so excited for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

January wrote: »
    I know when I changed over to the Coombe they wouldn't let me see the midwife clinic because of my previous c section. I had to be with the consultants but the Rotunda might be different. I only ever had one blood test during my care in the Rotunda!

I'm so excited for you :D

1??? They were nearly like vampires with me, every 2nd/3rd visit, and I was going every second week with no GP.

Darn, I wouldn't mind if it meant I had to get another section, but if I have to go through all that for a natural, I'd be a bit peeved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm 32 weeks too and apart from my GTT test, I've only ever given blood once too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My friend has only had one blood test too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

yellow hen wrote: »
    I'm 32 weeks too and apart from my GTT test, I've only ever given blood once too.

Interesting, hopefully I won't have to give too often. The last two times I went in to hospital to go on the drips they took blood while they had the needles inserted for the fluids. Just doesn't help with dizziness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Interesting, hopefully I won't have to give too often. The last two times I went in to hospital to go on the drips they took blood while they had the needles inserted for the fluids. Just doesn't help with dizziness!

Sorry murdy, I dont get to read all the threads so apologies for missing this but why are you on drips? Sounds like you're being monitored for a specific reason so maybe the bloods will be different for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

Ladies. im 6 wks and last day or so ive had like a discharge clear in colour, Im also cramping like my period is about to start. Any ideas?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Sorry murdy, I dont get to read all the threads so apologies for missing this but why are you on drips? Sounds like you're being monitored for a specific reason so maybe the bloods will be different for you.

Oh, I needed fluids due to severe morning sickness.

cute6guru wrote: »
    Ladies. im 6 wks and last day or so ive had like a discharge clear in colour, Im also cramping like my period is about to start. Any ideas?

Hey cute6guru. The clear discharge and cramps are fairly normal. I've had them on my two pregnancies. I am now about to go into week 13 on this one and I still have the discharge (sorry for the TMI ladies) and cramps are far less common now but still one every so often. If they are accompanied with backache the recommendation is to go to your doctor, though backache is also a sign of pregnancy. I have a little but a 23kg child wanting to be lifted, which doesn't help.

Welcome and hope you are not feeling too nauseous, it starts about week six. xxx

Oh, I needed fluids due to severe morning sickness.

Oh dear, you poor thing, that is one way to make life a lot more uncomfortable, the regular sickness is bad enough, it is worth it though. xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I have a question about changing baby's nappies in the hospital. I know the hospital recommends just using cotton wool and water and nothing else. But someone mentioned using Vaseline to prevent the first few poohs sticking. Is this true?

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Oh dear, you poor thing, that is one way to make life a lot more uncomfortable, the regular sickness is bad enough, it is worth it though. xxx

Thanks for the sympathy - it's definitely sucked but I'm sure it will be worth it :)

I'm 17 weeks now so hoping it lifts soon. The last few days haven't been too bad compared to the earlier weeks.

Thanks for the sympathy - it's definitely sucked but I'm sure it will be worth it :)

I'm 17 weeks now so hoping it lifts soon. The last few days haven't been too bad compared to the earlier weeks.

Oh, you are not having an easy time at all, *hugs* I had sickness until week 15 with no 1 and this time I have been lucky enough to know what works for me to get rid of it (god bless toast and milky & sugary tea). A friend of mine had it for most of her pregnancy, she was in and out of hospital the whole time with it. It's one of a few things people never warn women about, everyone thinks its always just for a few weeks in the morning, sadly not everyone is so lucky, I went 4 weeks eating all my days meals before 2pm because I was ill for the rest of the day. I hope daddy is treating you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

kitten_k wrote: »
    I have a question about changing baby's nappies in the hospital. I know the hospital recommends just using cotton wool and water and nothing else. But someone mentioned using Vaseline to prevent the first few poohs sticking. Is this true?

I heard that thing about the first poos all right, apparently it's a nightmare to clean off them with just the cotton wool and water, but if you put the vaseline on before the first nappy it creates a barrier that makes it easier to clean up. I think it's only the first one but I could be wrong there!

kitten_k wrote: »
    I heard that thing about the first poos all right, apparently it's a nightmare to clean off them with just the cotton wool and water, but if you put the vaseline on before the first nappy it creates a barrier that makes it easier to clean up. I think it's only the first one but I could be wrong there!

To be honest it isn't that bad, I think it's that cotton wool tends to stick to the poo and being a new mother makes it seem harder. But then again my lil man's first 12 hours were in neo-nates where I wasn't able to be with him.

Never heard of the vaseline trick, but you should do what you feel right with, just know other mothers/some nurses can be very opinionated and it doesn't mean they're right.

Oh, you are not having an easy time at all, *hugs* I had sickness until week 15 with no 1 and this time I have been lucky enough to know what works for me to get rid of it (god bless toast and milky & sugary tea). A friend of mine had it for most of her pregnancy, she was in and out of hospital the whole time with it. It's one of a few things people never warn women about, everyone thinks its always just for a few weeks in the morning, sadly not everyone is so lucky, I went 4 weeks eating all my days meals before 2pm because I was ill for the rest of the day. I hope daddy is treating you well.

My husband has been an absolute saint - he's done everything for the last 3 months. He's been making me a huge packed lunch every day this week so that I have loads of food to tempt me at work and can eat small, eat often. I don't know what I'd do without him, honestly :) My mum has been a star too, 30 years after having babies and she remembers how awful the sickness was. :)

The hospital were kind of preparing me the other day for the fact that some women have it all the time, hopefully it goes soon. Your poor friend! 15 weeks is long enough for you to have it anyway, glad to hear you say it's worth it! I've had to accept that every woman is different and some of us are unlucky with MS and some unlucky with other things.

That's really interesting about the first poo and the vaseline - is the first one that bad?!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

Hey cute6guru. The clear discharge and cramps are fairly normal. I've had them on my two pregnancies. I am now about to go into week 13 on this one and I still have the discharge (sorry for the TMI ladies) and cramps are far less common now but still one every so often. If they are accompanied with backache the recommendation is to go to your doctor, though backache is also a sign of pregnancy. I have a little but a 23kg child wanting to be lifted, which doesn't help.

Welcome and hope you are not feeling too nauseous, it starts about week six. xxx
    Thanks for advice. I have back pain too but will wait couple of days and see how I go. Have had a horrible couple of weeks. Had an awful chest infection was.never as sick and then the vomiting and nausea started. Went to work today had a few....a lot queasy moments but I made it. Wrecked tonight. Still trying to get my head around this as it wasnt pkanned.

cute6guru wrote: »
    Thanks for advice. I have back pain too but will wait couple of days and see how I go. Have had a horrible couple of weeks. Had an awful chest infection was.never as sick and then the vomiting and nausea started. Went to work today had a few....a lot queasy moments but I made it. Wrecked tonight. Still trying to get my head around this as it wasnt pkanned.

The God's honest truth, most pregnancies aren't. Neither of mine were. I went two years of trying for no2 then decide that the stress was too much and get on with our lives,we made all these great plans, then 6 months later, three positive pregnancy tests. It's just how it goes, I am only praying I will still be able to go to Bon Jovi in June (I'll be 35/36 weeks then)

Chest infections are horrendous at the best of times, but adding morning sickness is no great laugh. try a few things to see what works for you, ginger products, plain toast/crackers and other things. Everyone usually is able to find something that eases it a little.

Backache is totally normal too, you're about to put it under a hell of a lot of stress, it is amazing what our bodies are doing to facilitate the next few months. Just with both the backache and cramps, there is nothing to fear unless you have red spotting.

One thing I love about this forum, there is no worry too big or small and no such thing as a stupid question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is little man really 23kg wolfpawnat?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was told about the horrendous first poos too and was expecting something awful but they weren't that bad at all.

This baby is a kicker! 25 weeks tomorrow and my belly is shaking with the force of the kicks. It also seems to he a bit of a gymnast as its doing somersaults in there; one minute it's head down and the next it's lying crossways.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Is little man really 23kg wolfpawnat?!

We need to meet soon, 108cm tall and 23kg. I swear, by his 10th bday, he will be taller than me. Not 4 until next month, most of his clothes are 4-5 and 5-6. And he is always wanting me to lift him to reach things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Yeah - the first poo or two contains meconium (spelling?) which is very black sticky stuff!!! It's them clearing out their little bowels for the first time!
    Vaseline works a treat - but I would recommend it every nappy not just the first ones as otherwise they can get sore bums from the nitrates in their wee! We moved onto sudocreme after about 6-8 weeks as it worked better but at the start Vaseline is perfect and nice a gentle!
    The midwives show u everything anyway - thank god - I was clueless first time around!! It's amazing how quickly it becomes second nature!! 8-9 nappy changes a day for the first few months - still on about 6 a day now at almost 11 months! Wowser with 2 in nappies til be a conveyer belt! Well done to anyone with twins etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I was in the Coombe yesterday and i seen 5 new baby's going home and they were all BOYS my friends sis had a boy on Tuesday night and another friend had a boy last night. I'm having a little boy due in March. Its crazy baby boom of boys :) from what i can see anyway :D

elly123 wrote: »
    I was in the Coombe yesterday and i seen 5 new baby's going home and they were all BOYS my friends sis had a boy on Tuesday night and another friend had a boy last night. I'm having a little boy due in March. Its crazy baby boom of boys :) from what i can see anyway :D

Someone else said this to me the other day too, that they knew loads of people having boys. I know two women who had babies in the last few months, one had a girl and one had a boy so I can't comment! :)

I was convinced I'm having a girl for a while but now I'm not so sure - we're going to find out the sex in three weeks anyway but the guessing is driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Congrats wolfpawnpat. I remember you from the feeding thread the last time or maybe it was the newborn and toddler thread. It was one or the other lol. Delighted for you. Congrats to you too cute.
    As for the first nappies instead of using the cotton wool I found the little cotton pads the circular ones great. They didn't stick because they were compressed for lack of a better word in comparison to cotton balls.

Thumby wrote: »
    Congrats wolfpawnpat. I remember you from the feeding thread the last time or maybe it was the newborn and toddler thread. It was one or the other lol. Delighted for you. Congrats to you too cute.
    As for the first nappies instead of using the cotton wool I found the little cotton pads the circular ones great. They didn't stick because they were compressed for lack of a better word in comparison to cotton balls.

Yes I would have thought that about the cotton pads. Thanks Thumby, yes, it's been a while. He is quite the little fella now. Great 95% of the time so I am so lucky (though he was an angry baby).
    elly123 wrote: »

All my friends (all 4) that were pregnant last year had boys, well 2 were born this Jan, but you get the idea. But then again, I have had 2 cousins have 2 girls and the next door neighbour is having twin girls too. So that is 4 and 4 evens.

Part of me wants to know (though that wont be for another few weeks) but the other part wants the surprise. After a hard labour and scary section there was nothing better than listening to the nurse telling me what I had had. I'd like another boy as I have all these gorgeous clothes already, but at the same time I was buying clothes for the little girls boy in the family today and they were so cute. All that matters is that the baby is safe and healthy, but still I find myself randomly thinking about the pro's and con's of each gender.

Two boys may get on really well on certain things, but the younger would probably be annoying Aidan by stealing his clothes and trying to hang out with him as a teenager, but a girl and a boy may not have a lot in common, but not wanting to be just like her big brother may be what makes them close too, you never know, and it doesn't actually matter really as long as the baby is healthy, but still random thinking. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We need to meet soon, 108cm tall and 23kg. I swear, by his 10th bday, he will be taller than me. Not 4 until next month, most of his clothes are 4-5 and 5-6. And he is always wanting me to lift him to reach things.

He will be twice the size of our girls!
    I don't think D is even 15kg:) she is tall though.
    She wears 4/5 in most stuff but wears 5/6 in some.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    He will be twice the size of our girls!
    I don't think D is even 15kg:) she is tall though.
    She wears 4/5 in most stuff but wears 5/6 in some.

Went to town today with the intentions of using a voucher I got for xmas to get a few Maternity things, for 13 weeks I am really showing, (Nana just looked at me and asked when I was due, she was shocked it was July) but I have had to get rid of anything smaller than a 4yr for him. He is just gone through another growth spurt, honestly, I spent 200e on him!!! I am lucky though, one of my best friends had a baby two months ago and she is giving me all her maternity clothes so I won't be without, so I didn't feel too guilty giving him a wardrobe boost. Will have to pack away the nice things for in case this is a boy too.

Started using bio oil again today, and taking a pregnancy multivitamin. I feel so slimey. I can't remember, is cocoa butter as good as bio-oil, because it costs a pretty penny and I am still greasy an hour after my shower. Cocoa Butter is far cheaper, or was it baby oil was recommended. Ladies, what are you using? I was left terribly marked last time, they are faded but still very noticeable, I dont want to add to them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used the Huggies pure baby wipes from the 1st nappy on #2 and 3 , dealing with the cotton wool and the 1st few nappies is a pain !
    The bio oil is prob best if you had stretch marks before, it is often half price in hickeys pharmacy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I didn't get stretch marks the first time around which amazed me as I was absolutely huge at the end. I'm hoping I don't this time either but I'll just have to wait and see. I used a cream from boots own brand with cocoa butter in it. I liked it because it dried quickly. The butters are lovely but not really suitable for everyday. This time I'm using cream from aldi in a white bottle with light blue top. It's as good as any Vichy or la Roche posay that I've used, great on dry skin and dries immediately.

Advertisement