Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Started using bio oil again today, and taking a pregnancy multivitamin. I feel so slimey. I can't remember, is cocoa butter as good as bio-oil, because it costs a pretty penny and I am still greasy an hour after my shower. Cocoa Butter is far cheaper, or was it baby oil was recommended. Ladies, what are you using? I was left terribly marked last time, they are faded but still very noticeable, I dont want to add to them.

I only put my bio oil on going to bed and then pull a loose top over it. 32 weeks now and Im quite big but no stretch marks yet. Although, I have read that stretch marks can make their appearance as late as 40 weeks...fingers crossed. Got a big blinkin varicose vein...I think that's enough of a cross to bear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm using both bio oil and cocoa butter (the Palmers one) - but not at the same time. I have very dry skin so sometimes the bio oil just doesn't give me the relief from itching etc on my belly. I've noticed my skin is much drier recently but whether that's the pregnancy or the weather, I don't know. I'm waiting to start looking glowing but it's definitely not happened yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I used the Huggies pure baby wipes from the 1st nappy on #2 and 3 , dealing with the cotton wool and the 1st few nappies is a pain !
    The bio oil is prob best if you had stretch marks before, it is often half price in hickeys pharmacy .

Yea she is planning on using the wipes once she gets home but the hospital frowns on them so she is just going to bring the cotton wool so they can't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm using both bio oil and cocoa butter (the Palmers one) - but not at the same time. I have very dry skin so sometimes the bio oil just doesn't give me the relief from itching etc on my belly. I've noticed my skin is much drier recently but whether that's the pregnancy or the weather, I don't know. I'm waiting to start looking glowing but it's definitely not happened yet!

I have very itchy breasts this time, On the sides I think it is time for the sports bra's again, the others are far too restricting. Even after 4 years my c scar is very red and raised and very itchy, hopefully now that I am using bio oil daily again it may settle, but I fear that may be wishful thinking

I have very itchy breasts this time, On the sides I think it is time for the sports bra's again, the others are far too restricting. Even after 4 years my c scar is very red and raised and very itchy, hopefully now that I am using bio oil daily again it may settle, but I fear that may be wishful thinking

Yep, I have the itchy boobs too which I find really weird. I use the cocoa butter for that and it really helps.

Hope the C section scar is ok - are you going to try for a vaginal birth this time (if that's not a rude question!)? I always thought you couldn't but I've seen some people here who have done it.

• Advertisement

Yep, I have the itchy boobs too which I find really weird. I use the cocoa butter for that and it really helps.

Hope the C section scar is ok - are you going to try for a vaginal birth this time (if that's not a rude question!)? I always thought you couldn't but I've seen some people here who have done it.

It's not rude :) With the stress I went through last time, I would ask for a c-section if possible, but only because it has left me slightly anxious of the same happening this time, My lazy fella didn't do much for 21 hours of labour, then at 6cm was demanding his exit causing his oxygen saturation levels to plummet (He is still as impatient today), leading to a rush to get the anaesthetist on call and a free operating room.

I know a woman who had 2 naturals after a section, I am sure the hospital will push for natural (not meant as a pun!). I will discuss it with whoever I see in two weeks for my first appointment. They have my file from last time so they will be able to see what happened then. I will go with what is best for the baby, but after everything, a c-section would actually have me a little more calm, though it takes a hell of a lot longer to recover from and with two kids I can well imagine it will take longer this time. With twins running in my family (on both my parents sides) and the size I am for 13 weeks, I would not be surprised if there are two heartbeats when I got for my appointment, that'd answer the c-section question VERY definitely! :eek:

It's not rude :) With the stress I went through last time, I would ask for a c-section if possible, but only because it has left me slightly anxious of the same happening this time, My lazy fella didn't do much for 21 hours of labour, then at 6cm was demanding his exit causing his oxygen saturation levels to plummet (He is still as impatient today), leading to a rush to get the anaesthetist on call and a free operating room.

I know a woman who had 2 naturals after a section, I am sure the hospital will push for natural (not meant as a pun!). I will discuss it with whoever I see in two weeks for my first appointment. They have my file from last time so they will be able to see what happened then. I will go with what is best for the baby, but after everything, a c-section would actually have me a little more calm, though it takes a hell of a lot longer to recover from and with two kids I can well imagine it will take longer this time. With twins running in my family (on both my parents sides) and the size I am for 13 weeks, I would not be surprised if there are two heartbeats when I got for my appointment, that'd answer the c-section question VERY definitely! :eek:

Ooh, twins! Are you sicker than last time? They say morning sickness is a lot worse if there's two in there. Everyone was convinced I was having twins because I've been so ill but there's definitely only one in there!

Sounds like you know what you want anyway with the C section etc - I wonder if consultants so push natural births after c sections or if they just think it's easier to have one again? Let us know how you get on anyway!

I know C sections do take a long time to recover from but a little part of me thinks it would be relieving to have to have one for whatever reason, bit scared of labour so the sunroof option seems attractive sometimes!

Ooh, twins! Are you sicker than last time? They say morning sickness is a lot worse if there's two in there. Everyone was convinced I was having twins because I've been so ill but there's definitely only one in there!

Sounds like you know what you want anyway with the C section etc - I wonder if consultants so push natural births after c sections or if they just think it's easier to have one again? Let us know how you get on anyway!

I know C sections do take a long time to recover from but a little part of me thinks it would be relieving to have to have one for whatever reason, bit scared of labour so the sunroof option seems attractive sometimes!

Okay, I spent the last 5 minutes in stitches at the "sunroof" reference, that is brilliant.

I will go with what feels safer and right, hospitals are coming under a lot of pressure for the amount of sections performed here, I assume that is to do with the cost more than anything. But we are consistently in the top 5-10 in the world rankings for obstetric care so it is clear these sections are no done "willy-nilly" as the saying goes. That they are actually aiding safe birth rates.

I am more nauseous, but not more sick. I have a very strong stomach and I went out of my way to learn quickly what helped alleviate the nausea. It is not gone, but it is at a level where he food I cook for my son and partner does not make me violently ill. I find myself eating less of my favourite foods at the moment, I love strong tasting curries and the like, but they don't appeal to me at the moment. Spuds and gravy are all I can think about, not too bad really.

They are longer to recover from, but at least you can put a healing pad on it to aid sitting and getting up. Sneezing and laughing are a pain, you have to hold your stitches for that. But at least you can sit without the aid of a inflatable ring. Well that is my fear anyway. My one phobia in the whole childbirth thing is the tearing, I know, not something any of us want to think about, but it really scares me, did last time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

. My one phobia in the whole childbirth thing is the tearing, I know, not something any of us want to think about, but it really scares me, did last time too.

This is one of my biggest fear in childbirth aswel. I know when stitches are healing they tend to feel tight and itchy which is generally a good sign but the taughts of that feeling down there scares me!

I started using the palmers cocoa butter stretch mark cream from about 7 weeks. I got a mama mio gift set for my Bday and i use the oil from that on my tummy, i use the bio oil on by boobs,bum around my lower back and i use the cocoa butter cream on my upper legs. I don't have any marks as yet but i don't want to speak too soon. I've 10 weeks to go! I find the bio oil sooo greasy and its not cheap either!
    The palmers stretch mack cream is only 5euro in pennys, i went through 3 bottles in about 20 weeks i was applying it every other day, it drys way quicker than the oil aswel.

Even the word tearing makes me shudder! Best not to think about it I suppose, whatever happens will happen :) I'm such a planner so I find it difficult to think that at the end of the day I don't know what kind of birth I will have, who knows what will happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

The palmers cocoa butter is half price in boots right now for 3.99! I bought some and started using it on my stretch marks, it's great stuff..even after 4 days they are noticeably lighter! I got lots of dark red/purple ones on my stomach unfortunately!

Also I had a second degree tear...definitely not fun, but not as bad as I imagined either! Take all the pain killers they give you, they're great! Haha also the boots brand maternity pads were brilliant- the first week I was doubling up on them for cushion/coverage and they worked a treat :)

Quick question ladies for those who've had a baby. I'm looking at a budget for after the baby is born, just to get an idea. I'll be finishing a contract just before my due date and may or may not get maternity benefit, depending on a few things, so was interested to see how we'd be placed as I won't be employed anymore.

Anyway, what expenses increased when you had a baby? All baby stuff will be bought from baby savings so it's just increases in monthly expenses I'm interested in. So far I'm thinking your grocery and power (gas/elec becase I'll be at home all day) will be more. Any other expenses you were surprised at that I should think about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

just a question do all pregnant women get heartburn? Iv never had one in my life and Im almost 25 and everyone said wait till your pregnant but still havent (not that Im complainin) and Im 27 weeks. Just nearly all of them I know thats pregnant are suffering with it now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I don't think everyone does. My friend is 35+6 and hasn't had any.

Rachineire wrote: »
    The palmers cocoa butter is half price in boots right now for 3.99! I bought some and started using it on my stretch marks, it's great stuff..even after 4 days they are noticeably lighter! I got lots of dark red/purple ones on my stomach unfortunately!

Also I had a second degree tear...definitely not fun, but not as bad as I imagined either! Take all the pain killers they give you, they're great! Haha also the boots brand maternity pads were brilliant- the first week I was doubling up on them for cushion/coverage and they worked a treat :)

Thanks Rachineire, i will be taking a trip to boots the weekend so will keep an eye out, wanted to start on hosp bag. Hope you and your little man are good :)

Synyster - I don't get heartburn but i have had a small bit of indigestion. Its like everything we are all different so will be affected in diff ways. Some ppl get Morning sickness some don't, its just another symptom that pregnant women may suffer from.

maybe am getting a break because of the morning sickness I had it only eased at week 16-17

just a question do all pregnant women get heartburn? Iv never had one in my life and Im almost 25 and everyone said wait till your pregnant but still havent (not that Im complainin) and Im 27 weeks. Just nearly all of them I know thats pregnant are suffering with it now
    I have acid reflux and didn't have any heartburn while pregnant! It was great, I could drink orange juice again for the first time in years haha! The only time I had heartburn was from the stupid iron tablets I had to take! Blech!

I think the budget will depend on a few things murdy, like will you breastfeed, do you buy your lunch at work, do you pay a lot to commute?

I am saving petrol money which probably evens out higher electricity/heating costs-I always brought my lunch to work so our groceries will be similar...so far as I'm formula feeding we have to buy one large carton of cow and gate a week and that's it. We got tons of diapers as presents and I havnt had to buy any yet! I would start buying things like pure wipes now as you see them on sale...those can be pricey and with a little boy we go through plenty with him weeing everywhere haha!

Elly thanks, things are well-my family is finally gone home so it's my first day just me and him! Still trying to find my feet as a new mom but all the tough bits are made up for with cuddles and cute baby times:) how far along are you now?

I think the budget will depend on a few things murdy, like will you breastfeed, do you buy your lunch at work, do you pay a lot to commute?

I am saving petrol money which probably evens out higher electricity/heating costs-I always brought my lunch to work so our groceries will be similar...so far as I'm formula feeding we have to buy one large carton of cow and gate a week and that's it. We got tons of diapers as presents and I havnt had to buy any yet! I would start buying things like pure wipes now as you see them on sale...those can be pricey and with a little boy we go through plenty with him weeing everywhere haha!

Elly thanks, things are well-my family is finally gone home so it's my first day just me and him! Still trying to find my feet as a new mom but all the tough bits are made up for with cuddles and cute baby times:) how far along are you now?

I never taught about the money i would be saving on lunch i spend at least €30 a week, i will save a fortune on travel as a round trip to work is nearly 60kms plus two tolls 5 days a week. so that will be a huge saving.

Awh that's great Rach at least now you can try get yourself into a little routine with all the visitors gone.
    Im just hitting the 30wk mark now. I feel my pregnancy has flown by, so hoping the next 8 wks in work will be as quick :) Im having a little boy too :) what nappies do you find the best for him?

Hmm, I plan to breastfeed but wouldn't be surprised if I find it too difficult and have to switch to formula. Although I will try pumping first before I do that. I don't buy lunches at work but would spend a bit on petrol getting here. I commute 3 hours per day (mainly stuck in traffic!). So I suppose higher power bills would replace petrol? I am due in June though so it'll be summer and the heating won't really need to be on.

Also, we intend on using reusable cloth nappies but again, it might not work out and we will be buying some disposable ones anyway regardless. Just wondering if my supermarket bills will end up being way higher? It's just all unknown to me :) Good idea to start getting stuff when you see it on sale - my hubby is not a fan of buying things too early but June is getting closer now!

Glad you're getting on well Rach :)

• Advertisement

elly123 wrote: »

I never taught about the money i would be saving on lunch i spend at least €30 a week, i will save a fortune on travel as a round trip to work is nearly 60kms plus two tolls 5 days a week. so that will be a huge saving.

Awh that's great Rach at least now you can try get yourself into a little routine with all the visitors gone.
    Im just hitting the 30wk mark now. I feel my pregnancy has flown by, so hoping the next 8 wks in work will be as quick :) Im having a little boy too :) what nappies do you find the best for him?

I could shoot myself for saying this but enjoy those last few weeks!! I know it's near impossible when your so uncomfortable but a part of me misses pregnancy and having him in the bump...weird I know!
    Anyways, well pampers are great, but mostly for that yellow line that turns blue when nappy is wet...they don't leak either, but are wayyy to expensive for my taste. I've only gotten them when I've traded in nappies that I didn't use or got as gifts! Honestly I found aldi as good as if not better than pampers, and you can't beat the price!!
    Boots leaked horribly on him....once there was more poo in his baby grow than in the diaper! Huggies were ok but we got leaks every so often as well!
    I hear good things about Tesco nappies, might give them a try as well....he's already moved onto size two! Heart breaking haha!

I could shoot myself for saying this but enjoy those last few weeks!! I know it's near impossible when your so uncomfortable but a part of me misses pregnancy and having him in the bump...weird I know!
    Anyways, well pampers are great, but mostly for that yellow line that turns blue when nappy is wet...they don't leak either, but are wayyy to expensive for my taste. I've only gotten them when I've traded in nappies that I didn't use or got as gifts! Honestly I found aldi as good as if not better than pampers, and you can't beat the price!!
    Boots leaked horribly on him....once there was more poo in his baby grow than in the diaper! Huggies were ok but we got leaks every so often as well!
    I hear good things about Tesco nappies, might give them a try as well....he's already moved onto size two! Heart breaking haha!

In my local book shop there was a group of women there saying to buy them from Aldi or Lidl that they are less likely to leak and there good quality

Hmm, I plan to breastfeed but wouldn't be surprised if I find it too difficult and have to switch to formula. Although I will try pumping first before I do that. I don't buy lunches at work but would spend a bit on petrol getting here. I commute 3 hours per day (mainly stuck in traffic!). So I suppose higher power bills would replace petrol? I am due in June though so it'll be summer and the heating won't really need to be on.

Also, we intend on using reusable cloth nappies but again, it might not work out and we will be buying some disposable ones anyway regardless. Just wondering if my supermarket bills will end up being way higher? It's just all unknown to me :) Good idea to start getting stuff when you see it on sale - my hubby is not a fan of buying things too early but June is getting closer now!

Glad you're getting on well Rach :)

Thanks!!
    I would totally start buying early! I waited until about 13 weeks when the "dangerous days" had lessened and so glad I had the big stuff done by 26-27 weeks...I had bad back issues and wouldnt have been physically able for it! Also it gave me more time to set up my nursery and spread out the expense as well!

Is your sickness any better murdy?

Im not too bad now, but im feeling it more since i hit the third tri just getting the odd pains here and there that i didnt have before. I started swimming last week and it really relaxes me and i think it helps me sleep better aswel. Im trying to get everything organised now so that once i go on maternity leave i can just relax and not have to worry about getting anything sorted.

My sis works in a Crèche and she was saying the Aldi nappies are great. What weight was he again Rach? I've been looking at nappy sizes and the weight in Lbs ive been told baby is big so i doubt i will get long from size 1s if he is big, but again will only be able to tell when he is here. Think if im buying bulk I'll buy 2s and buy the 1s as i need them.

I know its a cliché but they really do grow so quick don't they?!

Thanks!!
    I would totally start buying early! I waited until about 13 weeks when the "dangerous days" had lessened and so glad I had the big stuff done by 26-27 weeks...I had bad back issues and wouldnt have been physically able for it! Also it gave me more time to set up my nursery and spread out the expense as well!

Is your sickness any better murdy?

Yeah, I want it all done by 32 weeks because my friend's sister had her baby early then and had loads of things not done! We have friends coming to stay at the beginning of March and once they are gone the spare room is getting turned into the nursery. I'll be about 25/26 weeks then so that gives us a good few weeks to get the furniture up etc. I think buying stuff as I go along before then is a good ides :)

Sickness is better this week so hopefully am turning a corner. I have said that before though and it's come back. So ridiculous to still be sick at almost 18 weeks :)

Have all your guests gone? My aunt-in-law has decided is coming to stay after the baby is born (luckily she's giving us a few weeks) and it made me think of you and wondering how you were getting on with your guests!

elly123 wrote: »
    Im not too bad now, but im feeling it more since i hit the third tri just getting the odd pains here and there that i didnt have before. I started swimming last week and it really relaxes me and i think it helps me sleep better aswel. Im trying to get everything organised now so that once i go on maternity leave i can just relax and not have to worry about getting anything sorted.

My sis works in a Crèche and she was saying the Aldi nappies are great. What weight was he again Rach? I've been looking at nappy sizes and the weight in Lbs ive been told baby is big so i doubt i will get long from size 1s if he is big, but again will only be able to tell when he is here. Think if im buying bulk I'll buy 2s and buy the 1s as i need them.

I know its a cliché but they really do grow so quick don't they?!
    He was fairly big- 8lbs 9oz but he still fit newborn size ones for about 3 weeks! I would buy at least one or two packs of those for the start and then move onto the size two...

And yes really too fast! He can't wear his Christmas outfit anymore! We have a large pile of two small now...I have to make my husband sort it out because it makes me all weepy to do it lol

Swimming, I should have really done that, it must feel great to get the pressure off your body for a little while!

Yeah, I want it all done by 32 weeks because my friend's sister had her baby early then and had loads of things not done! We have friends coming to stay at the beginning of March and once they are gone the spare room is getting turned into the nursery. I'll be about 25/26 weeks then so that gives us a good few weeks to get the furniture up etc. I think buying stuff as I go along before then is a good ides :)

Sickness is better this week so hopefully am turning a corner. I have said that before though and it's come back. So ridiculous to still be sick at almost 18 weeks :)

Have all your guests gone? My aunt-in-law has decided is coming to stay after the baby is born (luckily she's giving us a few weeks) and it made me think of you and wondering how you were getting on with your guests!

My last guests left yesterday, a day early thank god. Honestly I will never ever ever do that again. It was lovely to see my family but it was too much too fast. A week is not enough time for recovery after having a baby for people to land in the door and having people for over two weeks in the house was too much...I was cracking up at the end!! I feel like I havnt really gotten a good feel of motherhood three weeks in and I'm completely drained...so visitors are great but don't be afraid to say I need a few weeks, or a month or so before you come to stay. Also don't be afraid to tell them to go away either haha! I kinda feel cheated like I lost special time with my OH and little boy by having people stay with us too soon and for too long!

Just my personal experience though, house guests can be a great help as well!

My last guests left yesterday, a day early thank god. Honestly I will never ever ever do that again. It was lovely to see my family but it was too much too fast. A week is not enough time for recovery after having a baby for people to land in the door and having people for over two weeks in the house was too much...I was cracking up at the end!! I feel like I havnt really gotten a good feel of motherhood three weeks in and I'm completely drained...so visitors are great but don't be afraid to say I need a few weeks, or a month or so before you come to stay. Also don't be afraid to tell them to go away either haha! I kinda feel cheated like I lost special time with my OH and little boy by having people stay with us too soon and for too long!

Aww, sorry to hear that but at least you have the time together now and your family got to know the new arrival. It does sound very full on though. My husband told his aunt that we needed a few weeks so she's coming end of July/beginning of August and the baby is due mid-June. At first she was talking about my due date and wanting to know when she could come and I had visions of her in the hospital with us and all!

Also she's not staying with us because we only have two bedrooms and the spare will be turned into a nursery. She's going to stay in a b and b or something. It's lovely that she's coming, my husband's mother has sadly passed away and it's her sister that wants to come. Think she is doing the mother-in-law bit on her behalf which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Delighted ye are all doing so well rach and don't be feeling cheated out of anything the first few weeks go in a bit of a blur I've always found anyhow.
    Had a hospital app today good news is NO kidney infection for once woohoo.
    Better news waited to see head consultant on my team and she is happy out to induce Mr at 38 weeks. I'm back up three weeks from today to see her again for an internal etc assumin she doesn't see me coming in in labour before then (her exact words) :D oh she's also told me I can start the tea and anything else I want to try start my labour sooner. If I go into labour she won't be stopping it. So is looking more and more like a Jan babs for me :D

• Advertisement

Thumby wrote: »
    Delighted ye are all doing so well rach and don't be feeling cheated out of anything the first few weeks go in a bit of a blur I've always found anyhow.
    Had a hospital app today good news is NO kidney infection for once woohoo.
    Better news waited to see head consultant on my team and she is happy out to induce Mr at 38 weeks. I'm back up three weeks from today to see her again for an internal etc assumin she doesn't see me coming in in labour before then (her exact words) :D oh she's also told me I can start the tea and anything else I want to try start my labour sooner. If I go into labour she won't be stopping it. So is looking more and more like a Jan babs for me :D

Yay, so exciting - and no kidney infection either. Bonus :D

Advertisement