Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Thumby wrote: »
    Delighted ye are all doing so well rach and don't be feeling cheated out of anything the first few weeks go in a bit of a blur I've always found anyhow.
    Had a hospital app today good news is NO kidney infection for once woohoo.
    Better news waited to see head consultant on my team and she is happy out to induce Mr at 38 weeks. I'm back up three weeks from today to see her again for an internal etc assumin she doesn't see me coming in in labour before then (her exact words) :D oh she's also told me I can start the tea and anything else I want to try start my labour sooner. If I go into labour she won't be stopping it. So is looking more and more like a Jan babs for me :D

Awh Thumby im delighted for you. Thats great news. I might see you in 3 weeks if you last that long :) im back with her then aswel 1st of feb? I'll be looking out for you hahaha. I bet you even feel better in yourself already after seeing her. Did you come out with a smile on your face? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

elly123 wrote: »

Awh Thumby im delighted for you. Thats great news. I might see you in 3 weeks if you last that long :) im back with her then aswel 1st of feb? I'll be looking out for you hahaha. I bet you even feel better in yourself already after seeing her. Did you come out with a smile on your face? :D

Yup I'm in at half ten that morning which means I'll still be there at lunch time lol. But I don't mind cause its worth the wait. I would have danced coming out of there if I could Elly I was just so happy to have an almost def not going past date. She's gonna give me a final date and time for induction then if I'm not already upstairs. I'm just so happy today haven't stopped grinning since leaving the hospital. I know it sounds silly. Lol. I'm sitting here Googling ways to induce labour just in case there's some I don't know about.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

Yay, so exciting - and no kidney infection either. Bonus :D

Def a massive bonus murdy. First time in months nothing has shown up in my sample. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with one again though but if I can keep it at bay till at least the 24/25 of this month it won't be so bad as they may possibly induce labour then I hope
    But I'm not counting on it though. I'll just keep the dates I was given today in my head and any earlier than that is a bonus. Doc isn't worried about me going anytime from now because babs is a great weight she said and I've had the steroid shots so his lungs are that bit more mature than most for just shy of 34 weeks. Oh we got the cutest pix as well. Not so little man was having a great suck on his thumb lol

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Thumby I'm soooo happy for you really am. I'm in for 10:30 aswel but as you said its defo worth the wait to see Crowley. I'll be just short 34 weeks when I see her. It'll be so interesting to see if any of the methods to start labour work for you. I'm going to try the tea and some other methods when I get go ahead from doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Quick question ladies for those who've had a baby. I'm looking at a budget for after the baby is born, just to get an idea. I'll be finishing a contract just before my due date and may or may not get maternity benefit, depending on a few things, so was interested to see how we'd be placed as I won't be employed anymore.

Anyway, what expenses increased when you had a baby? All baby stuff will be bought from baby savings so it's just increases in monthly expenses I'm interested in. So far I'm thinking your grocery and power (gas/elec becase I'll be at home all day) will be more. Any other expenses you were surprised at that I should think about?

Groceries aren't too much more, you find yourself wanting to eat healthier food when you are feeding/expressing. I planned on BF but he didnt latch, I expressed for 6 weeks and switched to formula, costly enough stuff, around a tenner a go, but look around, someone always seems to have it on offer. Same with nappies, shop around for disposables. I would imagine the reusable ones make washing machine loads more costly, but electricity wise, you are so tired the first few weeks, there is little difference in the electricity. You tend to sleep when they do. Heating is not too different either.

just a question do all pregnant women get heartburn? Iv never had one in my life and Im almost 25 and everyone said wait till your pregnant but still havent (not that Im complainin) and Im 27 weeks. Just nearly all of them I know thats pregnant are suffering with it now

I was 21 and suffered terribly with it, but no, not everyone gets it and just be grateful you don't, you're not missing anything exciting, I promise :)

• Advertisement

elly123 wrote: »
    Thumby I'm soooo happy for you really am. I'm in for 10:30 aswel but as you said its defo worth the wait to see Crowley. I'll be just short 34 weeks when I see her. It'll be so interesting to see if any of the methods to start labour work for you. I'm going to try the tea and some other methods when I get go ahead from doc.

Well I got the tea on the way home, they 3-4 cups a day. I may pick up a ball and some "fresh" pineapple lol. I've already got a curry cooking for tomorrow's dinner on and treating myself to take out tonight (chilly cheese dog with taco chips). I'll be crippled with heartburn for the next few weeks but I'm eating as much spicy food as I can. Good thing I like hot food lol. Anyone got any other suggestions?
    Sure if I'm still hanging in there then we should grab a coffee. I'm easy spot. I'm the leprechaun on crutches lmao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well I got the tea on the way home, they 3-4 cups a day. I may pick up a ball and some "fresh" pineapple lol. I've already got a curry cooking for tomorrow's dinner on and treating myself to take out tonight (chilly cheese dog with taco chips). I'll be crippled with heartburn for the next few weeks but I'm eating as much spicy food as I can. Good thing I like hot food lol. Anyone got any other suggestions?
    Sure if I'm still hanging in there then we should grab a coffee. I'm easy spot. I'm the leprechaun on crutches lmao.

Pineapple won't work. It's said that you need to eat at least 7(!) pineapples for the enzyme that causes labour to work... you'd have gone into labour from diarrhoea well before that.

And spicy, you'd have to eat a Phall curry which would probably also give you diarrhoea.

January wrote: »

Pineapple won't work. It's said that you need to eat at least 7(!) pineapples for the enzyme that causes labour to work... you'd have gone into labour from diarrhoea well before that.

And spicy, you'd have to eat a Phall curry which would probably also give you diarrhoea.

Damn. No way I could that much pineapple I'd make myself sick as a dog lol.

Morning girlies. Quick question. Has anyone had a slow leak of any kind? Sorry for tmi but I'm kinda confused. I've been up since stupid o'clock was waay to warm so I stripped down and just threw on my dressing gown and came down stairs to watch a bit of TV. Anyway I eventually drifted off back to sleep and when I woke up there was a wet, not damp but actual wet patch on my dressinggown. So I got up went to the bathroom and completely emptied my bladder and put on a pad. I've done nothing else since I'm just sitting on the couch for the last while watching corrie omnibus lol. Here's the thing though every so often I can feel a kinda pop in my cervix as if something is pushing out kinda like when I'm having my period for the first couple of days (really sorry about beingso detailed ) and now the pad is feeling damp. I know I should be able to tell with this being my fourth and the fact that my waters broke on both my boys, the first in a mad gush and the second slowly like what's going on now but that was at 38 weeks so I knew what it was. It can't be my waters going can it? Not so soon after the doc telling me she's expecting me back in soon enough in labour? It is just a lot of discharge right?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

Would you ring the hospital??

• Advertisement

Can you smell the pad and see if it's kind of sweet smelling? Amniotic fluid has a sweet smell off it, very different to urine and discharge.

The popping you describe is exactly what I experienced on my third, but mine was a loud pop and I just KNEW it was my waters breaking...

If I were you I'd be heading into hospital because if you leave it too long and it is your waters you are prone to infection. They can swab you and test if it is your waters or just discharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thumby it sounds like your waters?! You should def go into the hospital and they'll check with the swab test like January said! Keep us updated!

With the nappies I used the Tesco newborn on both my boys! They're only €3 for a pack and I find them amazing! Never liked Pampers or Huggies! I switched then to Lidl when my 1st moved to size 2 and I've stuck with them since, they're brilliant and so cheap! They also do baby events every 2 months or so and do 2 packs of nappies for €10 so we always stock up!
    With the wipes I used Johnsons on my 1st but someone bought us the Tesco own brand (fragrance free) and I thought they were better! It's all we use now & they're suitable for newborns if you don't want to use the cottonwool and water (which I didn't) they're super cheap too! Def look around with formula aswell! I'm BF but we use SMA on N and will in E aswell and Supervalu are always cheapest!
    If you sign up with EUMom then they send you Supervalu offers every few weeks aswell which helps :)

I stick with Tesco nappies until they're in pull ups and then switch to Lidl because the pull ups are better quality and cheap too.

Hospital don't seem to worried nurse/ midwife seems to think it just an increase and change in my discharge but told me to keep an eye on it and let them know if it gets faster.
    @ January I'm on preventive antibiotics due to repeated kidney infections so they aren't worried about that atm
    I've done the sniff test and there is absolutely no smell at all. There's no colour on the pad either.

So arrival is not looking like it will the next few days. Thankfully as I still have to sort my main bag out properly I just haven't been able to face finishing it with the amount of times I've needed my emergency bag lol.

Glad you're okay Thumby, and it is good to have the bag ready. I had mine ready at 34 weeks, it is reassuring to think you have that much ready.

After weeks of no energy, and oversleeping, the OH and I got my ass in gear, I have scrubbed the whole kitchen, seriously, hands and knees scrubbing floors and everything. I am so happy with myself. I have everywhere but my son's room sorted. Doing it tomorrow because I have to pack away clothes/bag some for charity, same with toys, get rid of the broken etc, and sadly I am pooped after my day today, but delighted that a good multi-vitamin and diet are paying off.

My jaw hit the floor as I was cleaning, I found a pic of me at 20 weeks with Aidan, I am the same size now at 13! But I am a lot thinner now than I was back then, so that may have a lot to do with it too.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Glad you're okay Thumby, and it is good to have the bag ready. I had mine ready at 34 weeks, it is reassuring to think you have that much ready.

After weeks of no energy, and oversleeping, the OH and I got my ass in gear, I have scrubbed the whole kitchen, seriously, hands and knees scrubbing floors and everything. I am so happy with myself. I have everywhere but my son's room sorted. Doing it tomorrow because I have to pack away clothes/bag some for charity, same with toys, get rid of the broken etc, and sadly I am pooped after my day today, but delighted that a good multi-vitamin and diet are paying off.

My jaw hit the floor as I was cleaning, I found a pic of me at 20 weeks with Aidan, I am the same size now at 13! But I am a lot thinner now than I was back then, so that may have a lot to do with it too.

Thanks wolfpawnpat. I've just got to get the small bits for my main bag, breast pads travel sized toiletrees that sort of stuff but other than that I have pretty much everything else. I'm still " leaking" a fair bit more than normal, have to: use maternity pads instead of panty liners but no contractions so I'm not worried anymore.
    If ya find you have another bout of energy feel free to come up to mine and get stuck in. I can't even pick toys up off the floor with the spd without getting stuck on the floor for ages lmao. Have fun sorting out the little lads room tomorrow. You'll be surprised what you come across. As for being the same size at 13 weeks this time as you were when you were 20 weeks last time round that's perfectly normal. They say everything pops out sooner the more pregnancies you have. I was in maternity clothes two sizes up from my pre pregnancy size at nine weeks this time round. Lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

wolfpawnat wrote: »

I was huge early with D,my gp suspected twins with the other 2 I was in maternity clothes before 12 weeks due to bloating,again I never got huge but was big early.
    twins was my dream on #1 and 2 but if I do ever have another I think I could pass on the twins..:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I was huge early with D,my gp suspected twins with the other 2 I was in maternity clothes before 12 weeks due to bloating,again I never got huge but was big early.
    twins was my dream on #1 and 2 but if I do ever have another I think I could pass on the twins..:)

Well non-identical twins run on both sides of mine, I will be relieved when I get my first appointment and they check if everything is alright. I would probably just laugh if there is two, only out of terror of how I would manage three so far away from family, but you can only play the hand you are dealt really. As long as everything is okay inside, that's all that matters. I think it is mostly bloat. I have had to pack away the size 8 jeans, won't be seeing them for a long time again, same with my tight t-shirts!!!!!

OK I'm pretty sure now that my waters have been leaking very slowly all day. I put on another pad before going to sleep at around twelve woke up half an hour ago and the pad was soaked through. Went into the bathroom to change it and the min I took the pad away it started dripping out of my, kinda like a tap that hasn't been fully turned off
    Sorry for the tmi. I'm still not contracting or feeling any pains so I'm not going anywhere for the min but I will ring the hospital first thing in the morning.

OK I'm pretty sure now that my waters have been leaking very slowly all day. I put on another pad before going to sleep at around twelve woke up half an hour ago and the pad was soaked through. Went into the bathroom to change it and the min I took the pad away it started dripping out of my, kinda like a tap that hasn't been fully turned off
    Sorry for the tmi. I'm still not contracting or feeling any pains so I'm not going anywhere for the min but I will ring the hospital first thing in the morning.

Oh wow Thumby! Are you ok? They might take you in till he arrives hun, that's what happened with a friend of mine when hers broke 5 weeks early.. Sounds like he'll be here soon! Let us know how you get on with the hospital! Big hugs xxx

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »

Oh wow Thumby! Are you ok? They might take you in till he arrives hun, that's what happened with a friend of mine when hers broke 5 weeks early.. Sounds like he'll be here soon! Let us know how you get on with the hospital! Big hugs xxx

I don.t think he'll wait around in there for to long tig. I'm getting fierce pressure the last while and some sharp pains up my cervix as well. The midwife in l and d said I may not feel any proper contractions with having my waters break so early
    I'm just waiting on my dad to come down to the kids and chris to pick me up then off I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Hi everyone, hope you and all the bumps are good this morning...

I've recently had to go to the physio in the hospital as I hadn't slept right since before Christmas with pains in my lower back/hips at nighttime. It's a bit sore but manageable in the daytime but the nights are horrendous. The physio said it was pelvic girdle pain and basically recommended keeping driving/walking/standing to a minimum as she believed activity in the day was why the pain was bad at night. I also have one of the support belt things. I also have tried all combinations of pillow types between the legs, including rolled up towel but nothing seems to help. I've been doing what I've been told activity wise since last Wednesday but the pain at night is still awful. It's on both sides and it's like it goes all down the front of my leg as well when it's bad. I'm only 20 weeks and don't think I can hack another 20 weeks of no sleep and pain :(

Sorry to be a moan the sleep deprivation and pains has me a bit emotional.

If anyone has similar, I'd love to hear if you have any tips that helped..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

goodluck Thumby hope all goes ok I think they should have asked you in yesterday to test for it been your waters. Really nurses are only qualified so much and not really set up for every eventuality. Hopefully you will see a Doctor (not putting nurses down they do so much just I know from doing pre nursing course that were only really thought the bases)

Yup my waters have def broke and the trace was measuring the odd contraction but so far i'm not in labour as far as they can tell. Doc didn't do an internal but used a speclum to chech my waters. He said my cervix "is fairly" closed and i don't look like my cervix has softened enough yet. Fingers crossed that changes soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

well your still a step in the giving birth direction. hope it all goes well. wish I was close to been due

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Best of luck Thumby, hope all goes well for you and your little man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I've recently had to go to the physio in the hospital as I hadn't slept right since before Christmas with pains in my lower back/hips at nighttime. It's a bit sore but manageable in the daytime but the nights are horrendous. The physio said it was pelvic girdle pain and basically recommended keeping driving/walking/standing to a minimum as she believed activity in the day was why the pain was bad at night. I also have one of the support belt things. I also have tried all combinations of pillow types between the legs, including rolled up towel but nothing seems to help. I've been doing what I've been told activity wise since last Wednesday but the pain at night is still awful. It's on both sides and it's like it goes all down the front of my leg as well when it's bad. I'm only 20 weeks and don't think I can hack another 20 weeks of no sleep and pain :(

Sorry to hear your in pain KK. I have sciatica in my left side and what the physio on Friday confirmed as SPD ( I didn't realise this was what the pain I had been feeling in my groin and pelvis was!) I found sleeping really difficult, especially turning from one side to another.... So painful! Have you tried sort of sitting up when sleeping? My husband kind of builds a "fort" of pillows around me to keep me upright once I'm in a comfortable position and this really seems to help me. Worth a try maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Thumby, best of luck.... Keep us updated.

OMG Thumby! How are you yourself? Are they keeping you in? I hope he doesn't keep ya waiting too long! Great that you got the steroid shot when ya did so he's ready for coming out! Thinking if you xxx

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you're suffering so badly :( I had bad SPD myself with lower lumbar pain.. I found crutches helped alot! Also hit water bottles for me were amazing! Swimming and baths will help aswell.. Sometimes it can clear up to a more manageable pain after a few days/weeks hopefully that'll be the case with you! It does clear straight after baby is born though! Best of luck!

Advertisement