Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

Oh my god. I am exhausted. only 7 weeks. Had a few days of rotten sickness and vomiting etc but now its just a feeling of being unwell and zero appetite. When the heck will this pass. I have visions of feeling like this the next 8 months!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Digs wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your in pain KK. I have sciatica in my left side and what the physio on Friday confirmed as SPD ( I didn't realise this was what the pain I had been feeling in my groin and pelvis was!) I found sleeping really difficult, especially turning from one side to another.... So painful! Have you tried sort of sitting up when sleeping? My husband kind of builds a "fort" of pillows around me to keep me upright once I'm in a comfortable position and this really seems to help me. Worth a try maybe?

Thanks Digs.. I haven't tried the sitting up, as I was thinking I had to sleep on my side. I will give the pillow thing a go, I reckon I'll need a bigger bed though!
    Tigeress wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're suffering so badly :( I had bad SPD myself with lower lumbar pain.. I found crutches helped alot! Also hit water bottles for me were amazing! Swimming and baths will help aswell.. Sometimes it can clear up to a more manageable pain after a few days/weeks hopefully that'll be the case with you! It does clear straight after baby is born though! Best of luck!

Thanks Tigeress! They're great tips, I'm already doing loads of the heat packs. Never really thought of baths. The pain is manageable and ok during the day at the moment (at least that's something!) except for the start of the day after I get out of bed. it's just the nights that are killing me. At least it's a pain with an end to it.. in 20 weeks time lol

Thumby, I hope things are progressing well, best of luck!

cute6guru wrote: »
    Oh my god. I am exhausted. only 7 weeks. Had a few days of rotten sickness and vomiting etc but now its just a feeling of being unwell and zero appetite. When the heck will this pass. I have visions of feeling like this the next 8 months!!!!!!!!!!

Keep hanging in there cute, it was pretty bad for me too at 7 weeks but luckily for most people it starts getting better at 12 weeks or so (sometimes a bit before). It's like having the hangover from hell except without the lovely drinks. I found my sickness got worse when I overdid things and got tired, so make sure to not push yourself too hard and get loads of rest. Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I felt rotten from about 7 weeks until 11 weeks and then it got easier and my sickness was completely gone by 18 weeks. I was sick maybe once a week from wk 11 to 18. I had little or no appetite until i was about 22 wks. Your prob sick of hearing this but eating little and often helped me with the sickness, when i didn't eat was when i felt worse. The ginger biscuits helped a bit, i found the one thing i could stomach was crisps. I couldn't stomach a big feed or even cooking made me nauseous. I snacked on fruit, nuts, some cereal and crisps. I tried as much as possible to eat greeens when i felt i could. Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Advertisement

Ladies, i have some questions that i would like your opinion on. (Clearly a first timer) :)

My friend has kindly offered me her breast pump from when she had her little girl a year and a half ago. she used it for first 3 months. It has obv been sterilised and cleaned but im very unsure, is this hygienic? I am planning to b'feed but am extremely nervous about it and if that doesn't work i'd at least like to try and express. The cost of buying my own pump is not an issue at all. Im just wondering if its hygienic to use to my friends would i be wasting money buying my own?

Also in terms of babygrows and vests, i've got some from baby elegance, mothercare, next, dunnes and penneys. has anyone had any problems with using babygrows and that from Dunnes or Penneys? I find that there is such a difference in the price and was wondering are the more expensive brands better for babys skin?

When washing all the clothes, is any particular detergent brand better for new born babys skin and do you wash everything that's new including cellular blankets, mattress sheets etc?

Ok final question is sleeping on your back and right side bad or is it a myth? I read in the maternity magazine that i got in my eumom pack from the coombe that it is only a myth. Pre preg i always slept on my side but since pregnancy i am finding i am sleeping on my back or at least waking up there and am getting a much better sleep like that but i feel awful guilty about it when i wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

elly123 wrote: »
    Ladies, i have some questions that i would like your opinion on. (Clearly a first timer) :)

My friend has kindly offered me her breast pump from when she had her little girl a year and a half ago. she used it for first 3 months. It has obv been sterilised and cleaned but im very unsure, is this hygienic? I am planning to b'feed but am extremely nervous about it and if that doesn't work i'd at least like to try and express. The cost of buying my own pump is not an issue at all. Im just wondering if its hygienic to use to my friends would i be wasting money buying my own?

Also in terms of babygrows and vests, i've got some from baby elegance, mothercare, next, dunnes and penneys. has anyone had any problems with using babygrows and that from Dunnes or Penneys? I find that there is such a difference in the price and was wondering are the more expensive brands better for babys skin?

When washing all the clothes, is any particular detergent brand better for new born babys skin and do you wash everything that's new including cellular blankets, mattress sheets etc?

Ok final question is sleeping on your back and right side bad or is it a myth? I read in the maternity magazine that i got in my eumom pack from the coombe that it is only a myth. Pre preg i always slept on my side but since pregnancy i am finding i am sleeping on my back or at least waking up there and am getting a much better sleep like that but i feel awful guilty about it when i wake up.

I was wondering about the breast pump thing too - a friend of a friend rented her pump and I was wondering how hygienic it was. Anyway, apparently you can just buy the suction part that actually goes on your nipple new so you're not in contact with anything someone else has used on their bodily fluids! The pump itself then is the one who have borrowed.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If its been cleaned and sterlilised its fine. I've borrowed a boardsies one in an emergency when I was hundreds of miles away from pump and baby. It was my first time meeting her too. :D. Down the line you can invest in your own if you get a lot of use out of them.
    wrote:
    No brand is "better" for baby's skin. The more expensive ones sometimes hold up after repeated washes, where the cheaper ones will show signs of use, and obviously quality of the fabric and manufacture is a consideration. You'll find that when shopping for baby, you can spend an absolute fortune for things that are not necessarily better because of the price. There are high chairs for €265, yet the one I have for €20 is the one everyone admires for being easy clean and compact. So, don't think that expensive=better. Do your research on the materials /quality used and make your own mind up - that applies to all baby related stuff. The best hat I ever got for my baby was €3 in Pennys.
    wrote:

I washed everything in in Fairy non-bio. I actually switched the detergent in the house over to that so that babys clothes could go in with the household wash, but for the first little while, and certainly when they were new I washed them separately (though I dont think there is a real need for that)
    wrote:

Sleep which every way you feel comfortable. I'm a tummy sleeper and found it hard to sleep on my side but as you get bigger, you sleep in whatever position you find comfortable. You may find that as the weight of the baby in the later months back-sleeping might cause leg cramps. If that happens, point the toes up towards you with your leg straight, and it should help them.

Neyite wrote: »
    If its been cleaned and sterlilised its fine. I've borrowed a boardsies one in an emergency when I was hundreds of miles away from pump and baby. It was my first time meeting her too. :D. Down the line you can invest in your own if you get a lot of use out of them.

No brand is "better" for baby's skin. The more expensive ones sometimes hold up after repeated washes, where the cheaper ones will show signs of use, and obviously quality of the fabric and manufacture is a consideration. You'll find that when shopping for baby, you can spend an absolute fortune for things that are not necessarily better because of the price. There are high chairs for €265, yet the one I have for €20 is the one everyone admires for being easy clean and compact. So, don't think that expensive=better. Do your research on the materials /quality used and make your own mind up - that applies to all baby related stuff. The best hat I ever got for my baby was €3 in Pennys.

I washed everything in in Fairy non-bio. I actually switched the detergent in the house over to that so that babys clothes could go in with the household wash, but for the first little while, and certainly when they were new I washed them separately (though I dont think there is a real need for that)

Sleep which every way you feel comfortable. I'm a tummy sleeper and found it hard to sleep on my side but as you get bigger, you sleep in whatever position you find comfortable. You may find that as the weight of the baby in the later months back-sleeping might cause leg cramps. If that happens, point the toes up towards you with your leg straight, and it should help them.

Thanks so much for your reply Neyite, that's a massive help, its nice to hear from the more experienced :)

I bought fairy non-bio yesterday specifically for the baby's clothes but when i got home i was looking in the EUMOM bag i got from supervalue and the samples were persil. I use Dunnes own brand detergent for house hold clothes as we have hard water in our area and i have found it leaves clothes feeling and smelling much better than other brands i've tried.

I will do a bit of research re the materials on the brands when i get home and see what i find. I will learn what does and does not suit when he's here but the last thing i'd want is to upset his little skin from the outset, but i suppose every baby is different and what might suit some wont suit others. trial and error i suppose.

Thanks again for your reply x

MurdyWurdy - thanks also for your advice, i think i will take the pump and replace the suction part and if i find its useful i might invest in my own as i do plan on having another baby when this little one is about 3 :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks so much for your reply Neyite, that's a massive help, its nice to hear from the more experienced :)

I bought fairy non-bio yesterday specifically for the baby's clothes but when i got home i was looking in the EUMOM bag i got from supervalue and the samples were persil. I use Dunnes own brand detergent for house hold clothes as we have hard water in our area and i have found it leaves clothes feeling and smelling much better than other brands i've tried.

I will do a bit of research re the materials on the brands when i get home and see what i find. I will learn what does and does not suit when he's here but the last thing i'd want is to upset his little skin from the outset, but i suppose every baby is different and what might suit some wont suit others. trial and error i suppose.

Thanks again for your reply x

MurdyWurdy - thanks also for your advice, i think i will take the pump and replace the suction part and if i find its useful i might invest in my own as i do plan on having another baby when this little one is about 3 :)

You'll find that any of those packs are promotional - I get a rash from persil myself so no way was I using it on baby! Fairy is the gentlest I think. I think that softness and comfort would be more what you need in clothing. I have had baby almost exclusively in babygros with a long sleeved vest and socks underneath it. Even when we are going out in the buggy he gets a little soft fleece over it, a hat with flaps for the ears, and a cosy merino blanket covering his bottom half in the foot muff and he is lovely and toasty.

I bought the cellular blankets but was gifted this merino wool one which is the softest thing ever, so ended up not using the cellular ones really. I rave about it because merino wool is temperature regulating, naturally fire retardent, breathable and softer than any cotton or wool blanket. They are expensive but worth it, baby is never clammy in it the way he is with a fleecy blanket. He has a night time grobag but during the day for naps I roll him up in it with his arms free, and tuck the ends over his legs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would happily accept:) obviously wash it and sterilise it first

I found once the clothes were 100% cotton it did not matter, I am a big fan of Tesco and Next baby clothes they wash really well and despite my 2 girls wearing exactly the same clothes they are still in perfect condition.
    I have one or 2 things that lasted from Pennys and the Quality of Dunnes kids cloths is so mixed that I only buy stuff their in the sales because it is just not worth it,mostly the stitching comes out.

I did not wash any of the new stuff for the 3 of them and we just used our usual washing powder which is usually the tesco 2 in 1 purple one or surf.
    Fairy non bio gave rashes as did most of the big brands so I just stuck to what did not.

I went to sleep on my right and kept waking up on my back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You can buy the bits and pieces from the pump delays try so you're just using the pump.

I also 2nd the quality of tescos. Surprisingly fantastic. Penny's are fine but the quality isn't great so they don't last. I find Dunnes stuff so so for quality. Next is also great quality as is M&S.

I non bio at the start and switched back to bio after a few months.

Sleep whichever way is comfortable. This little one hates if I sleep on my right side and kicks the living daylights out of me until I turn. Not a peep if I'm on my left side. He/she seems to prefer lying transverse at the moment (25 weeks) so perhaps lying on my right side interferes with its comfort!

I've heard lots of good things about Fairy so I think I'll be using that - great to get feedback from others mums.

I really want a merino blanket for the baby too, my husband is from NZ (where merino originally comes from) so I'm hoping we might get gifted one from friends/family there! My bro is also going travelling and said he'd get us a baby present while he was away so I might ask him - bet he won't be expecting such an expensive present! Ha! :)

I bought loads of long sleeved merino tops when we lived in NZ and they're so warm, great for the kind of weather we're having now under dresses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I've heard lots of good things about Fairy so I think I'll be using that - great to get feedback from others mums.

I have yet to here one bad review for Fairy, be it the tablets, liqi-tabs, powder or the fabric conditioner. I too switched the whole family's clothes to a Fairy wash, though you tend to wash more of their stuff than anything else, it is nice to know that one top you need, or feeding bra can be thrown in with them. And it smells nice, plus as we all know, our kin can get so sensitive, especially the belly and breasts, it doesn't irritate them in the slightest (well again, this is personal experience).

Elly123. The whole Penny's and Dunnes thing, the only difference between their baby grows and the ones in other places, I found, is they discolour after a while if they are spit up on, or if a nappy leaks (and we all can admit, a sloppily put on nappy at 4am has happened us all) but you go through them so quickly with the baby growing that I found it didn't matter. And if you need more, they are so cheap and often very colourful in both those stores, they are easily replaced. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My sister-in-law's daughter had very severe eczema when she was born, and still suffers from alot from allergies. Sister-in-law swore by Tesco babygrows, as they were the only ones that were soft enough not to cause any irritation.

I bought some stuff from Penny's and TKMaxx last weekend. TBH I can't justify the cost of some of the branded babygrows considering they grow out of them so quickly.

Thanks so much ladies for all the replies, so great to hear everyone's opinions and experiences.

I can definitely feel the difference between some of the baby grows and i picked some cheap ones up just to have as i've been told they can go through so many in the first week if they are anyway pukey and i didn't want to be buying to much especially expensive ones before he arrives as i do know how quick they grow. I will try all brands for the first week or so and see what seems to suit him. I just didn't really want to try anything people had had problems with!

Must have a look at the Tesco baby clothes :)

Thanks again ladies x

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Oh how I feel your pain. Im 7 weeks today and to mark the occasion, vomited about 20 times from 5.22am. Ended up spending the day in hospital for fluids and anti nausea meds. Im feeling good now but am dreading being back to square 1 tomorrow. :-(

Hang in there cute, we'll survive and it'll be worth it!

Pat McGhee wrote: »

Oh how I feel your pain. Im 7 weeks today and to mark the occasion, vomited about 20 times from 5.22am. Ended up spending the day in hospital for fluids and anti nausea meds. Im feeling good now but am dreading being back to square 1 tomorrow. :-(

Sorry to hear you're so sick. The two times I ended up in hospital I felt so much better after the drip but the anti-nausea meds just didn't work. I know how miserable it is, there were times when I just couldn't take it anymore and wanted to be put out of my misery. I thought it would never end but it kind of has for me (still puke every so often and get nauseous but a lot of the time I feel ok now). It will end and it will be worth it. Hopefully it won't last as long as it did for me and 13 weeks will be a turning point for you!

Thinking of you both anyway, severe morning sickness really is so awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

We bought his vests and babygrows in tescos, great quality and three weeks down the line he has already out grown the first size...so don't spend lots of.money on the small stuff! Also I use the aldi brand non bio and its fantastic and half the price of fairy!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

Pat McGhee wrote: »

oh god u poor thing i dont think i could cope with that kind of sickness. u are so strong hun. iv no appetite cannot eat more than a couple of mouthfuls and im ill. hav ye missed much work? i missed a week when i had chest infection and was v sick. Havent told work yet so afraid every morn ill be too sivk to go in as my boss is a......not very approachable and nearly guilts you into feeling terrible if your sick. It really puts u off calling in sick. My partner gets mad at me for caring what she thinks as he keeps telling me to focus on myself. I know he is 100 percent right though.
    I just dont think I can handle feeling like this for much longer....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww, could you send the kids away for the night and have a relaxing night in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Or ask someone to babysit and dinner and cinema?

Uninterrupted sleep is always good tho!

Brought my 11 month old to a play group today and I swear some ppl let their children run riot.... It really put me off as they were letting their kids bash into A and pull at her and throw balls at her as they nattered away drinking coffee. I had to sit on the floor beside her and literally protect her which was crap. I know I'm protective as she's my first but I swear if I even saw A act like at I'd murder her. They were horrible and the parents were oblivious. I felt like I was the free childcare trying to reason with their kids! All the time clearly six months pregnant with a bad back barely able get up off the floor while its fine for them to sit on their chairs chatting and turning a blind eye.... Rage rage rage:mad:

keithob wrote: »
    my partner is 22 weeks gone on our third child yay!!!.... past week or so she is up and down emotionally....

any ideas on how to lift her spirits? baring in mind we have a 5 and 3 y/o.... we dont go out much at all.. just wud like to do something for her to give her a rest... the kids wear her out.... they are gas and are so excited too..

oh also she has hypermemsis and has had a tough aul time....

Put fresh sheets on the bed, stick on the water for a bath, candles all around the bathroom, either take the kids away or arrange a sleepover with aunties or granny? Buy her a book by her favourite author or get a film she wants to watch and forbid her from lifting a finger in the housework.

I used to come in from work and my partner would greet me at the door with a bath ran, the electric blanket on, and dinner sorted for after my nap. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Put fresh sheets on the bed, stick on the water for a bath, candles all around the bathroom, either take the kids away or arrange a sleepover with aunties or granny? Buy her a book by her favourite author or get a film she wants to watch and forbid her from lifting a finger in the housework.

I used to come in from work and my partner would greet me at the door with a bath ran, the electric blanket on, and dinner sorted for after my nap. Bliss.

I have to say I'm not a big gesture sort of person so this sounds like utter heaven to me. Add in an indian or thai and a glass of wine and I'm coming around too :p

That is such a lovely gesture, i hope my OH has a look at this post :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Just spotted a great deal on Groupon & bought it for my pregnant friend:
    Lindam Baby Heartbeat Monitor from €7.99 (Up to 76% Off)

Ms2011 I saw that yesterday. I don't need a heart monitor as this little one seems to like kicking me 24/7. I saw my bump wobble for the first time last week. It's fantastic as you know they're getting bigger and stronger when you see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ms2011 I saw that yesterday. I don't need a heart monitor as this little one seems to like kicking me 24/7. I saw my bump wobble for the first time last week. It's fantastic as you know they're getting bigger and stronger when you see that.

I was the same but my friend is pregnant after 6 years of trying & a round of IVF so I think she'd like the reassurance as I think she is in a constant state of 'waiting for the rug to be pulled from under her' :-)

Fingers crossed that everything goes well for her. It's always an anxious time until you're in the mid 20 weeks and feeling the kicks regularly. Anything that helps reassure you is good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Hi ladies,

Alert: ahead TMI

Went to toilet earlier and had like a clear jelly like blob when I wiped. About size of 20c maybe.

Then had a smaller one the same as before the next time I went to the toilet

Do you think this is a show? I know some same it's blood stained. But this was diff to the usual discharge. What u reckon??

Advertisement