Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Well, can't quite believe it but I'm back here.
    I've just discovered I'm due in Oct13. By then it will be no. 3 for us and we will have 2under 2. Hasn't sank in yet.
    Have to cancel a big holiday to America that we ha planned for 9 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

collegeme wrote: »
    I've just discovered I'm due in Oct13. By then it will be no. 3 for us and we will have 2under 2. Hasn't sank in yet.
    Are u feeling happy hun or is it still a numb feeling? Im due in Aug with our first and I was diatraught to be honest at first. We had our wedding booked and deposits paid for June 14 I was upset We would have to cancel it...would I have lost the weight etc. But once the panic was over I was delighted! Now we will have our little one be part of our day. They will be ten mths approx at the time. I think everything happens for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Welcome back collegeme, I hope the initial shock has worn off. 2 under two will no doubt be a bit tiring, but being close might be a nice thing for them too.
    cute6guru wrote: »
    We had our wedding booked and deposits paid for June 14 I was upset We would have to cancel it...would I have lost the weight etc. But once the panic was over I was delighted! Now we will have our little one be part of our day. They will be ten mths approx at the time. I think everything happens for a reason

What most people don't realise is most weight you put on is baby and baby related, as long as you eat normally and remember, it is not eating for two, it is eating for you (2000g a day) and an extra 400-500, but usually for the second half of trimester two and three. So something simple like walking the baby after it is born in it's buggy will help get rid of the last extra few pounds while also tightening your slightly loosened stomach skin and muscle in near no time. Normal women start to look like they did before between 6-9 months after a baby is born, celebs are obviously different. Think of it this way, I was a size 12 before I had my son, within 18 months of having him, a healthy-ish lifestyle got me down to a size 8. But that was because I was walking everywhere. :D So you will be looking fab for the big day, and your little one will be adorable in her little dress or his little suit. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Thanks ladies. Only found out less than 48hrs ago so still in shock to be honest. It feels horrible to be upset over a "holiday" but we are going to re-arrange for 2014 and the airline will accommodate the change foc ( way to go united airlines)

I can imagine being upset after booking a wedding but wolfpawnat is right about the weight issue. Luckily just over a month after my son was born I went to my Xmas work party skinnier than I was before getting pregnant.

I have mixed emotions to be honest. iM worried my eldest (9) will be upset as it has been a big adjustment having a little brother. Also I lost my mother who was only 54 about 5 months ago and that was just devastating. I am almost in tears that she won't see this , her third grandchild.

But it is really early days and I do expect to be over the moon pretty soon :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Good on you Collegeme. Less than 2 years between children is interesting- we've only 14 months between our two. Even if your 9 year old is a little put out- you can bet they will be proud of their two siblings, and the two younger ones will inevitably be best of friends.

Best of good luck to you.

S.

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies. Only found out less than 48hrs ago so still in shock to be honest. It feels horrible to be upset over a "holiday" but we are going to re-arrange for 2014 and the airline will accommodate the change foc ( way to go united airlines)

I can imagine being upset after booking a wedding but wolfpawnat is right about the weight issue. Luckily just over a month after my son was born I went to my Xmas work party skinnier than I was before getting pregnant.

I have mixed emotions to be honest. iM worried my eldest (9) will be upset as it has been a big adjustment having a little brother. Also I lost my mother who was only 54 about 5 months ago and that was just devastating. I am almost in tears that she won't see this , her third grandchild.

But it is really early days and I do expect to be over the moon pretty soon :)

7 or so years by yourself then two siblings is a bit of an adjustment, but children adjust. I know how you feel about the holiday, I got Bon Jovi tickets and I am trying to think of a way to go to the concert while 36/37 weeks pregnant. I was supposed to get a Dublin Bus both ways, thinking of staying the night in Slane now instead of getting a rowdy bus back to Dublin.

48 hours? I didn't know what way was up for a week after I found out about baby no2. It is not an ideal time for us so I just was like a zombie for a few days wandering around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Hi Ladies - just looking at the stuff we need to get over the next few months to prepare for baby. We live in a two bedroom apartment, our bedroom is next to the sitting room and the baby's room is across the corridor from the sitting room, not far away. Am I right in thinking we don't need a baby monitor thingy? Baby will be in with us for the first few months before going in his own room.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Hi Ladies - just looking at the stuff we need to get over the next few months to prepare for baby. We live in a two bedroom apartment, our bedroom is next to the sitting room and the baby's room is across the corridor from the sitting room, not far away. Am I right in thinking we don't need a baby monitor thingy? Baby will be in with us for the first few months before going in his own room.

I too am in a two bed apartment, you can get a monitor, but if you are as close to each other as you say you'll be, you'd probably be wasting your time getting one. Still some people prefer to have them. To each their own.

Things you should get before the baby is born,

- buy a pack of wipes every time you go to the shop, you will use them, seriously, my son is 4 next week and I am always bringing them out with us, they are so handy if only to clean their hands.

- nappies, have a few size one and two packets ready.

- Avail of any and all two for one/BOGOF offers on the likes of baby bath. It may take a while to get through them, but you will.

- I had a changing mat, but I always put a cheap towel underneath. They can occasionally go when you are changing them and as the mats are plastic, it flows everywhere and can ruin their clothes/leak onto what ever you have it on, cheap towels, about 5 are god sends.

- sterilizer, even if you plan to breastfeed, it may not go as you wish (happened me) and the last thing you want the day you come out of hospital is to go sterilizer shopping TRUST ME!!!! You'll use it when they are older anyway.

- Onsies, lots of them, for some reason no matter how hard you try, or how experienced you are, you will find the pee and poop get out of the nappy and onto them. Some stains don't come out or need a long soaking, so a few more than a few would be my recommendation.

- Car seat, not allowed leave the hospital without one, invest in a sturdy known brand, but keep an eye out, you will be due around the time of the June sales if I recall??? Excellent time to buy. Also a lot of car seats attach to particular buggy brands, even if they are not the same company, best example; I have a MyChoice3 travel system from mothercare, the MaxiCosi carseat actually attaches to it, so they went hand and hand for me.

- A good buggy/travel system, no need to go mad, but a sturdy one is best, also your child is due in the summer, but remember it will need something with a footmuff for the winter.

- Crib/basket. Some people just buy a cot from day one, many have a newborn setting, and some get the moses basket so they can bring the baby to snooze in the dining room/sitting room while they watch over them during the day. I am not sure what I will do with no2 yet. Aidan hated the baskets so we bought a rocking crib, loved it but not apartment friendly if you have a cot too. Can get crowded.

- Binky's/Dodi's what ever you want to call them, if you plan in giving them one, have them ready, and a few at that, they need to be discarded every other week.

- Some people recommend stocking up on formula if you plan to use it, I had to try my guy on all three brands before I found the one he liked. But if you know what you want, avail of offers.

- Join the Tesco baby club if you shop with them, they give you extra points on different items every few months.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head right now. I'll let you know if I think of anymore.

Thanks Nat - that's a great post :) I really appreciate the advice!! I was wondering about a sterliser too actually so great that you said it. I'm thinking even if I breastfeed to 6 months you'll need bottles and sterilisers after that so I'll add that to my list. Plus, I have a feeling it may not work out as I have planned so good to have around.

I've started stocking up on baby wipes already when they are half-price and will keep an eye out for nappies on special. We're going to use resuable nappies but want to have some disposables around too. What kind of baby bath stuff do you recommend? It is just bubble bath stuff or baby wash? I've never even looked in that section of the supermarket :o

more onsies are needed too - will add them to the list. I have some but probably not enough :)

Oh also, thanks for advice on crib etc! We are going to get a smaller rocking cradle for our room (lucky we have the space as it's a good sized apartment) and then a cot for his room. A girl at work advised that you put the cot up from the beginning, even if they will be in with you because it can be handy to pop them in there if you need to wash your hands after changing etc and also creates a "this is the baby's space" vibe. I think I'll do that :)

Also, didn't think of getting foot muff etc because we're having a summer baby. All these things you need to consider! You forget they'll grow and seasons will change too!

• Advertisement

Thanks Nat - that's a great post :) I really appreciate the advice!! I was wondering about a sterliser too actually so great that you said it. I'm thinking even if I breastfeed to 6 months you'll need bottles and sterilisers after that so I'll add that to my list. Plus, I have a feeling it may not work out as I have planned so good to have around.

I've started stocking up on baby wipes already when they are half-price and will keep an eye out for nappies on special. We're going to use resuable nappies but want to have some disposables around too. What kind of baby bath stuff do you recommend? It is just bubble bath stuff or baby wash? I've never even looked in that section of the supermarket :o

more onsies are needed too - will add them to the list. I have some but probably not enough :)

I pretty much got anything Johnson's that was on offer, Babywash, Head to toe, etc. Seriously they are all so great and they smell good, for when a child is older you can get shampoo, but obviously not at first. Other people may have used supermarket own brands, but I am fussy about brands when it comes to kids, not for myself though.

Oh and stock up on non-bio washing powder/tablets/whatever suits you. I recommend Fairy, but again, others may suggest others. They too are on offer from time to time. Nice, not too over powering smell of it also.

Every first Tuesday and Wednesday of a month is a great time to go to Dunnes, they have great offers/deals on child stuff (children's allowance you see) even some products have double points. Again, make sure you avail of the points!

I tried to breastfeed, but he was in neo nates for so long they fed him bottles so he was lazy when he finally got to me, sadly I am picky and wanted to get it myself, so got out of hospital, went home, fed him, and had to walk C-section and all Rathmines to Stephen's Green and back, in February, for one when he was 5 days old. Lesson of my life.

Oh also, thanks for advice on crib etc! We are going to get a smaller rocking cradle for our room (lucky we have the space as it's a good sized apartment) and then a cot for his room. A girl at work advised that you put the cot up from the beginning, even if they will be in with you because it can be handy to pop them in there if you need to wash your hands after changing etc and also creates a "this is the baby's space" vibe. I think I'll do that :)

Also, didn't think of getting foot muff etc because we're having a summer baby. All these things you need to consider! You forget they'll grow and seasons will change too!

You see i thought of it all with Aidan because he was a Feb baby, this time I don't need to think of tiny winter clothes, but lighter (not too light, this is still Ireland) for newborns and larger winter clothes, slightly annoying if it is a boy because some of the nicer things are season dependant and they are completely different times of the year to one another. But sure, such is life. Yes, I am not sure what I'll do bed wise yet, but the cot is staying up. Aidan will be píssed, he loves that bed and he's about to be tossed out of it (for his birthday he is moving into the big bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

Just wondering what your experiences were when you told work ye were preggers? Havent told them yet myself but a girl who works with me is expecting and didnt get a great response from our boss....not tbe friendliest or maternal woman ha!!! I wasnt too worried before this about tellling her but now Im a little on edge. She will probably flip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Just wondering what your experiences were when you told work ye were preggers? Havent told them yet myself but a girl who works with me is expecting and didnt get a great response from our boss....not tbe friendliest or maternal woman ha!!! I wasnt too worried before this about tellling her but now Im a little on edge. She will probably flip!

I'm dreading telling work! Not because I especially care what they think but because I know one of my senior managers has been trying for a baby for a long time and I know there have been some issues with her ttc journey.

I'm also interviewing for a promotion next week so I want to keep it my little secret until after the interview!

Good luck with telling your work :)

I'm dreading telling work! Not because I especially care what they think but because I know one of my senior managers has been trying for a baby for a long time and I know there have been some issues with her ttc journey.

I'm also interviewing for a promotion next week so I want to keep it my little secret until after the interview!

Good luck with telling your work :)

Crazy cat Lady, I never knew you were back on this as well!!!!! Congrats :D:D:D Is Megan all excited?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Congrats CCL :)

They said congratulations all smiles but I could tell they weren't super thrilled at the same time but nothing was ever said to me. They haven't been too flexible about me being sick etc but as everyone keeps saying, me and baby come first. Nothing your work can do about it though, tough titties I say! Congrats on your pregnancy and stuff them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Thanks Nat and DL!

I'm sure Megan will be excited when we tell her, still keeping it to ourselves for the minute. 12 weeks tomorrow so will probably start telling people next week, really not in a rush to though!

I think baby brain is kicking in for me. I'm on call all this week and went to bed with my phone on silent last night! Oops! No calls though thank god!

I thought of another one for you MurdyWurdy.

A towel for the baby for the hospital, you are shown how to bath the while you're there, and have a few swaddle blankets and a towel or two ready for them at home too, you can get lovely ones with little hoods on them for cheap so the little one's head will be nice and warm as you are drying them.

CCL, she will be delighted when you tell her, she will understand what is going on. Aidan hugs and kisses my belly goodnight every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi girls, can anyone advise me? Since I came in this eve I've had v bad backache like period pain and my stomach has been uncomfortable. I just went to the bathroom and the tissue was pink tinged (but not mucousy) when I wiped. I'm not 36 weeks and uterus is very high up. Should I be concerned?

• Advertisement

YH - try not to stress! I'd phone the hospital to see what they say, but it could be a urinary tract infection or anything! But def do phone as they might want to see you just to make sure all is well - remember your baby is big now and really strong so it might be a sign of something happening over next couple weeks :)
    Also your lady bits (excuse the terminology....) have a huge amount of blood circulation now and even a dose of thrush could cause some spotting. But if it were me I'd be calling to see what they recommend :)
    Hugs!

Got a bit excited there as I felt some kicks up the top half of my belly and thought maybe the baby has turned!! They back down the bottom now... Maybe she was just throwing some harder punches.... But I live in hope!! Have to wait 2 more weeks to find out anyway by which point she could have done 20 sumersaults!

dublinlady wrote: »
    YH - try not to stress! I'd phone the hospital to see what they say, but it could be a urinary tract infection or anything! But def do phone as they might want to see you just to make sure all is well - remember your baby is big now and really strong so it might be a sign of something happening over next couple weeks :)
    Also your lady bits (excuse the terminology....) have a huge amount of blood circulation now and even a dose of thrush could cause some spotting. But if it were me I'd be calling to see what they recommend :)
    Hugs!

Thanks so much DL x

I've tried to stop panicking and am lying down. Will check for more blood shortly and ring hospital if there's more. This sounds really silly but I feel like I have very severe wind. Baby is still moving around which is reassuring.

Talk about a dry run for myself and OH.... We both just realised how ill prepared we are. I panicked and he froze!

Haha! I'd be exactly the same!!! I've never experienced labour or a scare of it due to section so I really can only sympathise!!!!!
    I'd still phone them - just cos if there's an infection there ya will want it treated!
    It's exciting..... Not long now regardless for u!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Good luck YH, hope alls ok and baba is just being a monkey!

Ok am a bit mortified, I think I may just have been constipated with severe wind and was confusing where the blood may have been coming from. I feel so much better now. I honestly got a terrible fright though. Thanks DL and digs..... This thread really makes you feel more rational. X

It's hard enough to see our own toes with these big bellies now let alone know where blood would be coming from so don't feel silly! Put the feet up tonight and take it easy :) glad all is ok :)

dublinlady wrote: »
    Got a bit excited there as I felt some kicks up the top half of my belly and thought maybe the baby has turned!! They back down the bottom now... Maybe she was just throwing some harder punches.... But I live in hope!! Have to wait 2 more weeks to find out anyway by which point she could have done 20 sumersaults!

DL my madam is breech still at 31 weeks, she's been in the same position at every ultrasound. Am I right in thinking you're holles street too? When do they start discussing csection? I know there is plenty of time for her to turn but have this sneaky suspicion she won't....

Digs wrote: »
    DL my madam is breech still at 31 weeks, she's been in the same position at every ultrasound. Am I right in thinking you're holles street too? When do they start discussing csection? I know there is plenty of time for her to turn but have this sneaky suspicion she won't....

Yeah! 36 weeks I think! Last time she didn't turn til 37 weeks on me! Scut! This one is obviously trying to out do her sister! I really don't think she's moving!!
    They will tell you at 34 weeks that if not turned by 36 they'll schedule a section for 39,weeks. They can offer you the option of trying to have the baby turned which they do between 36-37 weeks! It depends on if its suitable tho - like depends on the amt of fluid and size of baby etc!
    Hope our little ladies cooperate!!!
    I was looking at the spinning babies website there do refresh my memory and I swear only a gymnast could do those positions!!!!
    Staring swimming on wed... Maybe that'll help... Or not!

I'm gonna go for the turning option if they offering this time... Chose not to last time.... Cos of the risks of emergency section on the day - but this time I want to try everything I can to avoid a section so that I can be fitter for my 1 yr old! But it's not looking likely so ill just have to get my head around it!

• Advertisement

Ah ok, thanks for the info that's great to know!! Up till last week I was all hippy dippy and no if she wants to move she will do, baby knows what's best but sod that, she can kindly get her butt in gear :P I am starting to fear a c section :/ so am having stern words with bump, to no avail, kicks are still really low...

Did they mention the option of vaginal breech delivery at all? A friend of mine had one last year in holles street but I know there was exceptional circumstances where her baby was concerned. We're going out for dinner week after next so will grill her for info then!

I'm back with consultant in 4 weeks so will know more then! Hope baby DL co-operates! Little pups :D

Advertisement