Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

VeryBerry wrote: »
    I think that's because at 12 weeks there's a much lower chance of detecting any anomalies, and its more difficult because the baby is still developing?

We went for a private scan at 12weeks (hopsital only offers the one scan at 18-22 weeks) and they told us that really all they could say from the scan at 12 weeks was there was a baby there, and that it had a heartbeat, and give you an idea of dates.

I can understand completely why you're worried. I was exactly the same before our big scan. But the hospital staff are trained and know what they're doing. Just make sure and ask any questions on the day to put your mind at ease.

Thanks a mill for all the advise. Defo feel better now. At the 12 week scan I just felt a bit like she was trying to get us in and out as quick as possible. As you say though, that's probably because they can tell hardly anything from it!!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Hi guys, has everyone received a 12 week scan or is that through private care? I have been given a date for a scan at 21 weeks and my first appointment with the hospital is not until 24 weeks. I'm sure everything is ok but feel like I'm being left to one side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had to pay for a private scan at 12 weeks cos the hospital only gave me my appointment when I was 19 weeks.

Costs €100 in the RCSI unit of the Rotunda and it was brill!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

foxy06 wrote: »
    Hi guys, has everyone received a 12 week scan or is that through private care? I have been given a date for a scan at 21 weeks and my first appointment with the hospital is not until 24 weeks. I'm sure everything is ok but feel like I'm being left to one side!

I had my first scan at my first visit which was at 21 weeks. I did ring the hospital late, but this is my third pregnancy so I think they are a lot more relaxed.

The 12 week scan is very basic, but can show up Downs Syndrome. this doesn't show up at 20 week anomally scan. If they thought you were high risk I'm sure they would have brought you in at 12 weeks.
    HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I only had an emergency scan at 8 weeks and then my only other scan was at 31 weeks on my fella and he was my first. I really was worried that I couldn't get any other dates. I also didn't get to have any anomaly tests. I suppose that's the problem with deciding to go to a large Dublin Maternity hospital with several other hundred pregnant women every week!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

It's been 5 years since my last baby and things have changed so much. This is my third so they must be more relaxed with me. Just really want to see it on screen! Can't wait to find out if it's a boy or girl. Have 2 boys already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Do people think the 3d scans are worth the money? I really want to do it but the girlfriend thinks the money would be better spent on other things. My mate got it done yesterday and seen his daughter yawning on the screen(he didnt know it was a girl until yesterday)

Ok so just back from the 20 week scan. So disappointed. Met with a doctor, not the consultant but one of the team, and she performed the scan. I reckon she had it over and done with in less than a minute. She basically said, there's the head, there's the spine, there's probably a leg and there's the heart beating, fluid looks fine. And that was it. No print out or anything. I could barely see the screen so didn't really see anything at all. My bf saw more but I'm so disappointed with it.

gowayouttadat I am heartbroken for you, When I was in Cork I was given the same type of treatment too. Seeing the baby on screen is supposed to be amazing and that person ruined it for you. Did they even ask you did you want to know what sex the baby is?

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    gowayouttadat I am heartbroken for you, When I was in Cork I was given the same type of treatment too. Seeing the baby on screen is supposed to be amazing and that person ruined it for you. Did they even ask you did you want to know what sex the baby is?

NO!

And we had talked so much about it and decided that we would find out. I know I could/should have asked but I think I was actually in shock at how quick it was. I couldn't believe it was over. I kinda walked out of the office thinking that must just have been a quick scan that the doctor does before the proper one!!
    The 12 week scan was actually a zillion and one times better and that's saying something. We didn't even get the see the shape of the baby. It didn't look like a baby.

How are you wolf??? How's the little man?

• Advertisement

That is terrible, because a lot of people take ages to decide whether or not to find out the sex, my OH and I were discussing it for nearly 20 weeks!

I kno there are several places in Cork do private 3D and 4D scans but I would assume they would cost you a few bob to get it done.

For my scan Aidan was too big to show him all in one shot, but to not even give you a picture of the little one is sickening!

Aidan is good, got him measured and weighed today, he is massive now, still only 9lb 12 but very proud of him, he's a bottomless pit though! I have to give him my milk and formula - I assume thats where the weight gain comes from.:)

That is terrible, because a lot of people take ages to decide whether or not to find out the sex, my OH and I were discussing it for nearly 20 weeks!

I kno there are several places in Cork do private 3D and 4D scans but I would assume they would cost you a few bob to get it done.

For my scan Aidan was too big to show him all in one shot, but to not even give you a picture of the little one is sickening!

Aidan is good, got him measured and weighed today, he is massive now, still only 9lb 12 but very proud of him, he's a bottomless pit though! I have to give him my milk and formula - I assume thats where the weight gain comes from.:)

I've booked a 3D scan for the start of May already... Thank God! That should be really cool and I'm so looking forward to it after today! I just can't believe how bad this one was!

I'm delighted all's going well with Aidan!! Is he a good baby? Or keeping you up all night? Are you breastfeeding? You'll have to pass on all the tips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

wow im stunned that the doc did the scan so quick, was it just booked as a scan or an anomoly(sp?) scan, I know these take about 20 mins and they look at measurements and all the organs to make sure theres no problems? Least you have another scan booked! That will be of some reassurance.

I have the anomoly scan booked for 22 weeks and need the reassurance or at least be prepared our lil one has kidney problems so hopefully they will be able to watch out for it, and a history of hyroceaphalis(sp) on his side.

Amazed at how doctors are treating paitents!

wow im stunned that the doc did the scan so quick, was it just booked as a scan or an anomoly(sp?) scan, I know these take about 20 mins and they look at measurements and all the organs to make sure theres no problems? Least you have another scan booked! That will be of some reassurance.

I have the anomoly scan booked for 22 weeks and need the reassurance or at least be prepared our lil one has kidney problems so hopefully they will be able to watch out for it, and a history of hyroceaphalis(sp) on his side.

Amazed at how doctors are treating paitents!

On the letter it didn't see anything specific about the scan. It just said appointment for ante-natal clinic. But on the file I've got from the hospital it has a list of scans with the 2nd one being an anomoly. I must have a look when I go home to see if she ticked the anomoly scan box afterwards. I never looked when we got out.

I'm in foul form all afternoon in work over it! I was in great form up to now, no hormones acting up and now since coming out of the hospital I feel like I'm gonna burst into tears after it. Feck sake!! I am fully convinced they take less notice of you when you're young.

i know exactly what u mean gowayouttadat, On our first scan with the first one she said theat she was very lively! so i gave a lil giggle! The girl doing the scanner gave out to me for laughing that what she was doing was very serious ! spent the rest of the day in foul form!

Had first a 24 and really was treated like i was stupid by one or two midwives till i saw that the same ones were just pig ignorant to everyone so it does happen that they want u in and out as quick as possible too.

Hormones are crazy sometimes u feel like u are possessed cos u would never be like that normally and if u were ud probably keep it to yerself lol I know im like a loon these days!!

I'm delighted all's going well with Aidan!! Is he a good baby? Or keeping you up all night? Are you breastfeeding? You'll have to pass on all the tips :)

He was terrible there for a while, I feed him myself but also have to give him some formula, we had him on one brand but it wasn't agreeing with him and the poor fella had terrible wind and was in agony! Now that is sorted and he is happy again, he only wakes 2/3 times a night to eat and then he goes straught back to sleep.
    I'm in foul form all afternoon in work over it! I was in great form up to now, no hormones acting up and now since coming out of the hospital I feel like I'm gonna burst into tears after it. Feck sake!! I am fully convinced they take less notice of you when you're young.

I found that all nasty issues I came across in Cork was when it came to my age! But what I found was wierd was they treated the girls there with other women better than me because I had my OH with me.

I wouldn't even blame hormones for how you felt today, you were treated like sh!t and the day that you were hoping to see your baby and find out the gender, it was not only taken away from you but they ruined it completely and that is not fair. Cork made me feel like that too, the ultrasound people really need to be taken down a peg. I really am so p!ssed off on your behalf, because of it happening me, then I went to Dublin and they treated me very well:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

Hi gowayouttaddat,
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience, almost had the same thing ourselves. I can't remember exactly what week it was, but I think it was about 14, and we went in for a scan. When we went in, the nurse told us to back out and have my OH drink more water, she was very short with us, it seemed like we were a burden to her. Anyways, we went back to the waiting room and she had more water, after a while a different nurse called us to a different room and she was lovely. She asked how we were, how we were feeling, told us the baby was doing fine, how big it was, gave us pics and all and then talked to us about what would be happening down the line. She was older than the first girl but way way nicer. I guess it's down to luck as to who sees you. :) Hopefully things will go better for you from here on out.

And as for getting looks from people, we're both in our early twenties and we've gotten some odd looks of people when we were in the hospital. Yeah we're young but not inept. It's a shame the outlook some people have with young parents. Nothing to do but press on, and enjoy the experience :)

Thanks everyone. I was calmed down and back to normal but my mam just rang me there and I was filling her in on the details. I told her a bit yesterday but had to go because I was going to start blubbing on the phone!
    She's livid... but not about the scan... back in her day they never had so many scans etc etc :D
    What I actually forgot to mention here yesterday was that I have a back condition that I had surgery on when I was younger. When she saw it on the file she was asking me about it and basically said "Well I don't know how it'll effect you in labour or if we'd need to do a section because I've never seen this before but we'll see how it goes"

My mam is after going ballistic over it.
    She wants me to change from public to private. Has anyone changed half way through before?

I think the only complication of changing from public to private half way through is a lot of the consultants would be booked up for you due date. Start getting on the phone now if you do plan on changing.

I'd maybe mention your back condition to the midwife/doc at your next ante natal visit and see what they say, if you're still not satisfied then move?

God I love my GP! I went to him this morning and told him everything that happened on Thursday and he's totally reassured me. First off he said he couldn't believe the doctor said she hadn't seen my back condition before. He's put a massive note on my file that I'm to see nobody except the consultant at the next visit, has told me not to leave until I see the consultant and that if I'm not happy with what's said at the next visit he'll phone the consultant and speak to him about the situation.

Plus he re-stated everything he'd told me before hand that speaking from experience he knew it wouldn't cause an issue.

Then I told him about the scan and he told me that the doctor obviously had very bad communication skills and should have talked us through it but he went through the file and walked me through the results that she had recorded in it. He said that she didn't do a great job of communicating things she had checked what she needed to and told me about the heart beat, measurements etc.

• Advertisement

God I love my GP! I went to him this morning and told him everything that happened on Thursday and he's totally reassured me. First off he said he couldn't believe the doctor said she hadn't seen my back condition before. He's put a massive note on my file that I'm to see nobody except the consultant at the next visit, has told me not to leave until I see the consultant and that if I'm not happy with what's said at the next visit he'll phone the consultant and speak to him about the situation.

Plus he re-stated everything he'd told me before hand that speaking from experience he knew it wouldn't cause an issue.

Then I told him about the scan and he told me that the doctor obviously had very bad communication skills and should have talked us through it but he went through the file and walked me through the results that she had recorded in it. He said that she didn't do a great job of communicating things she had checked what she needed to and told me about the heart beat, measurements etc.

Fair play to him, done a lot better than my doctor anyway!

Thats great! least your doc is straight talking! Hope everything goes well at your next appointment !!

Fair play to him, done a lot better than my doctor anyway!

Ya he's great in fairness. He's been my doc since I was a smallie so I know he'll look after me. Jeez makes such a difference!

Oh I think I start feeling movement over the last few days. It's a bit mad. I still think I might be totally imagining it but it definitely feels like it this morning.

If you think you feel it, you are more than likely right. At first it feels so odd and sometimes uncomfortable. I remember Aidan's first kick, I actually saw it because I was looking at my stomach at the time. So freaky looking!

If you think you feel it, you are more than likely right. At first it feels so odd and sometimes uncomfortable. I remember Aidan's first kick, I actually saw it because I was looking at my stomach at the time. So freaky looking!

Haha I can imagine!

I'm still not sure. It felt like the baby was going a flip or something in my stomach this morning. We'll see what happens over the next few days. It was kinda cool though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Well we're having a girl. Cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Melion wrote: »
    Well we're having a girl. Cant wait

Congratulatuons. but she'l be to far away for our boy to marry. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I had my first proper scan today, I had one at 6 weeks but there wasn't much to see apart from a heartbeat. It was amazing. The baby was asleep at first but the radiologist poked around and we could see the little fella give a little yawn and woke up. I'm just gone 15 weeks so I'm not feling any movement yet so it was reassuring to see baby kicking, punching and wriggling away. The radiologist was brilliant, she showed us everything from baby's brain right down to his little feet that he had crossed at the ankles. She done everything she could to get a picture of the face front on, it's not very clear but we got another two really good pics,I can't stop looking at them all day:o

• Advertisement

I had my first proper scan today, I had one at 6 weeks but there wasn't much to see apart from a heartbeat. It was amazing. The baby was asleep at first but the radiologist poked around and we could see the little fella give a little yawn and woke up. I'm just gone 15 weeks so I'm not feling any movement yet so it was reassuring to see baby kicking, punching and wriggling away. The radiologist was brilliant, she showed us everything from baby's brain right down to his little feet that he had crossed at the ankles. She done everything she could to get a picture of the face front on, it's not very clear but we got another two really good pics,I can't stop looking at them all day:o

That's brilliant Pigletlover! It's amazing how real it feels when you get to see the little person moving around.

Melion - congrats on the girl :) We're having our 3D scan Saturday week. I can't wait!!

Advertisement