Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Digs wrote: »
    Ah ok, thanks for the info that's great to know!! Up till last week I was all hippy dippy and no if she wants to move she will do, baby knows what's best but sod that, she can kindly get her butt in gear :P I am starting to fear a c section :/ so am having stern words with bump, to no avail, kicks are still really low...

Did they mention the option of vaginal breech delivery at all? A friend of mine had one last year in holles street but I know there was exceptional circumstances where her baby was concerned. We're going out for dinner week after next so will grill her for info then!

I'm back with consultant in 4 weeks so will know more then! Hope baby DL co-operates! Little pups :D

He told me that there was a significant risk of brain damage to the baby if I tried a vaginal birth - and that he wasn't comfortable with it - but I don't know if that was because of the specific position of my babs? He is very pro vbac etc so I can't imagine he would put me off if possible. He did say there'd be no chance of that this time due to previous section - puts too much pressure on the scar and esp as mine was so recent!

Don't worry too much about the section - while I moan about it - it does have its pros! And some ppl bounce right back!! Most infact I think!!
    The section itself I found an amazi g experience! And thought holles st was great!!
    I suppose I just want to experience the excitment of being due - and moaning about being overdue... And labour itself! But that's really not what's important - I never "gave birth " in my head - but my daughter was born - healthy and safely and for that I will be eternally grateful! I'd have a million sections for her to be safe!

On a side note the food in holles st is great! I just loved being given a menu everyday!! Haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

dublinlady wrote: »

On a side note the food in holles st is great! I just loved being given a menu everyday!! Haha!!

When I was in having my daughter I was in the Merrion Wing. Eerytime I woke up from a nap there seemed to be fresh tea and a scone or some other goody! Hope I get a room there again this time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

DL thanks so much for the info. I'm not stressing needlessly over a section as I know it's early for that but am gathering all the info! Am going swimming tomo, hubby is going to assist me in a handstand haha or try anyway.

Ladies so glad to hear the food in holles street is good! I saw that pic floating around from the Combe which looked rank so was afraid HS was the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The food in the Coombe isn't great really but I was so ravenous after my son was born that I ate everything that was put in front of me and would eaten the same again if it was offered. I don't think I've ever been so hungry before or since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I thought of another one for you MurdyWurdy.

A towel for the baby for the hospital, you are shown how to bath the while you're there, and have a few swaddle blankets and a towel or two ready for them at home too, you can get lovely ones with little hoods on them for cheap so the little one's head will be nice and warm as you are drying them.

CCL, she will be delighted when you tell her, she will understand what is going on. Aidan hugs and kisses my belly goodnight every night.

Thanks Nat - towels have been added to the list. Love those towels with hoods on them! They have them in Penney's but I didn't like them, they felt really cheap and scratchy so I'll try elsewhere.

Had fun buying baby things over the weekend. So many of the baby things I see I wish came in adult sizes for myself :o

I'm also glad to hear the Holles St food is good! Any time I've been in there it's smelled horrible but then I've been in mostly for being a pukemonster so everything smelled horrible to me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Thanks Nat - towels have been added to the list. Love those towels with hoods on them! They have them in Penney's but I didn't like them, they felt really cheap and scratchy so I'll try elsewhere.

Had fun buying baby things over the weekend. So many of the baby things I see I wish came in adult sizes for myself :o
    Marks have those towels for €7.75..I thought that was so cheap and they washed lovely and soft.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Marks have those towels for €7.75..I thought that was so cheap and they washed lovely and soft.

ooh, thanks. I'll have a look this week then. That's a great price for good, soft ones! Penneys ones were €5

ooh, thanks. I'll have a look this week then. That's a great price for good, soft ones! Penneys ones were €5

I found that when you compared quality, pennys and dunnes werent really any cheaper than M&S. I'm sure I'll buy loads with them in the future but jsut for the newborn stuff I've used M&S and next.

I found that when you compared quality, pennys and dunnes werent really any cheaper than M&S. I'm sure I'll buy loads with them in the future but jsut for the newborn stuff I've used M&S and next.

Yeah, I've bought quite a few things in Next and I'm really impressed with their early baby stuff. I must take a look in m and s. I was in the one in Dundrum on Saturday but the baby section there is quite small so I think I'll have a look in Grafton Street at some stage.

Yeah, I've bought quite a few things in Next and I'm really impressed with their early baby stuff. I must take a look in m and s. I was in the one in Dundrum on Saturday but the baby section there is quite small so I think I'll have a look in Grafton Street at some stage.

I'm not sure that grafton street do kidswear so maybe check that first...

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that grafton street do kidswear so maybe check that first...

Hmm, might send the hubby up to do a recce one lunchtime then. I was disappointed with the selection in Dundrum. Maybe it's just the way it was laid out, squished in next to the food hall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

M&S in Grafton St do have a kids section, think it is on the first floor.

Also you can order online and collect them in store if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I bought a load of baby growers and vests in Tesco at the weekend and they are really good. My mother swears by them as when washed they dont loose there shape. I'm glad I've started buying I want to get mosses basket next have Cot and car seat and clothes and nappies and wipes and blankets, need breast pump still and bottles are ordered and on there way.
    Then just get the few bits I'll need for hospital bag no big rush there if I went in super early hubby would get them for me or have a parent do it and drop them in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

M&S Jervis street have a big kids section on the first floor. I was under the impression there wasn't one in Grafton's street, handy to know.

Next is good. Their clothes are a good big size too, so you get a while out of them.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Next is good. Their clothes are a good big size too, so you get a while out of them.

Ooh really? They have really lovely colourful stuff in there at the moment. I'm not a big fan of all the pastel baby blue stuff so bought some funky babygros in bright colours (also if we have another one and it's a girl she could still wear them even though they are designed for boys). I bought them in the up to one month size but I like them so much I was thinking of changing them for up to three months so he'd have longer in them. Not sure now! :)

Ooh really? They have really lovely colourful stuff in there at the moment. I'm not a big fan of all the pastel baby blue stuff so bought some funky babygros in bright colours (also if we have another one and it's a girl she could still wear them even though they are designed for boys). I bought them in the up to one month size but I like them so much I was thinking of changing them for up to three months so he'd have longer in them. Not sure now! :)

My son was 7 and a half pounds and 65cm long (so tall) his 1 month lasted 3. They are good quality, lovely designs and good sizes. I love the "Me to You" Tatty teddy range they had before, I hope they have it still

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭missymad

ok so just realised im going to have a baby had being putting the whole labour side of things to the back of my mind thinking i would go the 9 days over like i did on my first, now im not so sure have 4 days to my due date and getting serious pains the last hour.. seriously freaking me out.. i was induced with my first so everything was done in the hosp it felt undercontrol... i no this could just be a false alarm but its giving me a serious wake up call...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Julzzz

Soon is my due date , expacting first one ... So nervous at this stage , hopefully gona go on a date , really big mes in my head , what should I pack , how I will know it started ... So stressed ... And my head doesn't stop thinking about what should I get ?? Is anyone feels the same ??

Julzzz wrote: »
    Soon is my due date , expacting first one ... So nervous at this stage , hopefully gona go on a date , really big mes in my head , what should I pack , how I will know it started ... So stressed ... And my head doesn't stop thinking about what should I get ?? Is anyone feels the same ??

Breathe sweetie, we all felt the same. You'll do great :) xx Though sadly, rarely do any of us go on our due date, but we all live and hope :D

PJ's, towel, socks, loose underwear, onsies, vesties, nappies, if you are bottle feeding, then bibs, scratch mittens, hats, toiletries for your shower. I may have forgotten something there, ladies can anyone else remember anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bring a roll of bin bags and send laundry home with dad/your parents, keep on top of the laundry! I also brought two nighties for every day, that button down the front for BF, I liked a fresh one for the morning and before bed. Bring flip flops for the shower and walking around, slippers are too hot.
    I kept babies things today, what saved time was having a nappy, babygro, vest and hat in a sandwich bag, I packed ten that way and it was brilliant for changing her, didn't need to root around as everything was there ready to go.
    I used cotton pads instead of cotton wool for wiping her bum, no fluff everywhere. Bring your own maternity pads, the hospital ones are awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Julzzz

what about after birth bandages is someone was using them??and did u put them straight away after birth? and then lady in the hospital was saying in the hospital i should organize for myself something, dont remember what..:( maybe breastfeeding courses or what don't remember ;(((

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

So I have vhi company plan b....on my cover it says im covered for 3500 euro. My question is how much do I have to pay myself? Has anyone any idea how it works? Sorry prob a silly question. Just want to make sure we know what we will have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

cute6guru wrote: »
    So I have vhi company plan b....on my cover it says im covered for 3500 euro. My question is how much do I have to pay myself? Has anyone any idea how it works? Sorry prob a silly question. Just want to make sure we know what we will have to pay.

If you go private you'll have to pay the consultant yourself while your health insurance will cover the hospital side of things. You can claim back some of the consultant fees.

Ok thanks. Do you know a rough figure of how much you pay for that? Sorry this is all so new to me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Ok thanks. Do you know a rough figure of how much you pay for that? Sorry this is all so new to me!!!!

Depends where in the country you are, anything from 3k to 4.5k is average cons fee.

Wow thats a lotttttttttt.......wasnt expecting that much. oh this is v stressful tryin to figure out what to do :-(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Wow thats a lotttttttttt.......wasnt expecting that much. oh this is v stressful tryin to figure out what to do :-(

Which hospital is it?

TBH, I'd never go private. Even if I could afford it. From anyone I've spoken to the care is the exact same, the only difference seems to be waiting times for appointments and the chance of getting a private room.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Which hospital is it?

TBH, I'd never go private. Even if I could afford it. From anyone I've spoken to the care is the exact same, the only difference seems to be waiting times for appointments and the chance of getting a private room.

Exactly, and you're not even guaranteed a private room. One girl across from me last time was private and two of her three day stay was in a ward with nine other women. She still had to pay private fees for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I wouldn't go private either and I have really good health insurance.

I'd also recommend attending a midwives clinic over seeing a consultant as the waiting times are much much shorter. I personally prefer midwives as I find them more personable and they give you the e tea 5 minutes to listen to actually talk to you rather than do the standard checks as quick as possible.

This time around I'm hoping to get sent home within 8 hours. I couldn't sleep in the hospital so I was totally exhausted when I got home after 2 nights. A friend stayed in a private room in holles st and she said she couldn't sleep either because of the noise on the wards and in the corridor.

I was brought back in for a night 3 weeks after the birth and given a private room and it was no quieter.

• Advertisement

I can understand why some women chose to go private, each to their own and all that but personally I wouldn't do it unless I was having a pregnancy with complications etc. I had some advice when we were deciding what to do (one was a woman who had gone private and on semi-private) and was advised against it. That is wasn't worth the moolah. I also opted for the midwife led clinic as I think it's a bit more personable (again I was advised to do this by a few people).

I had an appointment in the hospital this week and was only there for 45 minutes, so I think you can be lucky with waiting times as well.

Advertisement