Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    About 4 of the girls on the show have had something horrific like that happen the fathers. Only in the smallest number of cases did the daddy's stay. So heartbreaking for them, they lose school, friends, everything, hence why I think it is important young girls see it and make good decisions about birth control.

Every episode starts and I find myself waiting to see the boyfriends, as soon as I see a few of them I foresee the ending and find myself going "Oh God" Pregnancy is hard when you are in a solid relationship and older, for those poor girls :(

I know - I'm always on edge to see what the baby daddy is like. The girls always end up giving up everything. Every time I watch it I'm so grateful that I was never in that situation at that age and for my husband. I couldn't have even been pregnant on my own, given how sick I was, let alone raise a baby.

Even though some of MTVs programmes are a bit dubious I think it's a great idea to show teenagers just how hard it is. There's a new series of teen mom coming out soon following 4 of the girls from season 4 - which I was watching today. Will be interesting to see how some of their lives pan out. Some of the ones from teen mom 2 turned into right trainwrecks.

I feel a bit sad now for my television watching choices but I just find them so fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I know - I'm always on edge to see what the baby daddy is like. The girls always end up giving up everything. Every time I watch it I'm so grateful that I was never in that situation at that age and for my husband. I couldn't have even been pregnant on my own, given how sick I was, let alone raise a baby.

Even though some of MTVs programmes are a bit dubious I think it's a great idea to show teenagers just how hard it is. There's a new series of teen mom coming out soon following 4 of the girls from season 4 - which I was watching today. Will be interesting to see how some of their lives pan out. Some of the ones from teen mom 2 turned into right trainwrecks.

I feel a bit sad now for my television watching choices but I just find them so fascinating!

I don't usually watch MTV, too many of the shows are trashy, but I cannot help watching these ones. I find myself fascinated by the disaster television. They are too young and in most cases, without a highschool education, and the men leave, meaning they don't have sweet toss all in prospects. The two cases of twins were most shocking, twins as a teenager, I am terrified at having two 4 years apart!!!! And the older will be in school in September!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

I reckon you'll be grand by then, you might still be tired and occasionally pukey but by week 21 I would have been well able to have a wedding/cruise if I managed my energy carefully (being tired makes me pukey). Congrats on your forthcoming wedding anyway! :D

Loads of people were surprised we found out but we had our reasons and we're so glad we did. It was a really special day!

Thanks MW, its nice to get some reassurance that there's hope of me being human for wk21, I've been worried about it tbh. Everything else has had to be put on hold up to now as I've been so sick, so its nice to know I can look forward to this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Where do people buy their belly bands for their trousers? Think it may be that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Where do people buy their belly bands for their trousers? Think it may be that time!

Belly bands are cheap on amazon iv used amazon along time and never had any hassle. As for maternity trousers I got nine in H&M and there reasonably priced too they have tops and all that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Thanks MW, its nice to get some reassurance that there's hope of me being human for wk21, I've been worried about it tbh. Everything else has had to be put on hold up to now as I've been so sick, so its nice to know I can look forward to this.

Definitely, after being so ill you must be really excited. That's one other horrible thing about the hyperemesis for 3/4 month you go nowhere and see nobody - I missed out on so many birthday nights out etc but now I'm able for things like that as long as I rest in advance of it. It made it all very lonely though.

At 21 weeks I went to Ikea on a Saturday to look at baby furniture and ate a big feed of meatballs (which I know now were tainted with horse meat! :eek:) If I can do Ikea on a Saturday afternoon without being ill I bet you'll fly through the wedding. Sure the cruise will be really relaxing anyway and if you need to lie down, you can. So exciting to have a wedding soon :)
    Das Kitty wrote: »

They have them in mothercare but I think you can get them cheaper elsewhere. I bought 2 pairs of maternity jeans and one pair of black trousers so I think I'll just live in them and not get belly bands. Mothercare also had maternity knickers next to the belly bands that went over the bump. They scared the crap out of me. They were absolutely ginormous - seriously massive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Hi Everyone, Just wondering was anyone told they have a low lying placenta at around 24 weeks and did this cause any problems for you? Mine is close to cervix but not blocking at the moment. Thanks xxxx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thanks for the belly belt advice. They're on their way from amazon now.:)

DoubleB wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, Just wondering was anyone told they have a low lying placenta at around 24 weeks and did this cause any problems for you? Mine is close to cervix but not blocking at the moment. Thanks xxxx

They only mention where the placenta was when I was 31 weeks but it's up high where she likes it to be. However iv heard on deliver me on home and health one of the midwives was pregnant herself and had to have bed rest from 23 weeks to 30 to minimize the risk of early labour! Has any doctor told you what they would like? Hopefully it stays away from the cervix it could move back upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

DoubleB wrote: »
    I had this. Consultant advised us not to have sex and go direct to hospital if there was any slight bleed. It had moved at a 34 week rescan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmacash

lazygal wrote: »
    I had this. Consultant advised us not to have sex and go direct to hospital if there was any slight bleed. It had moved at a 34 week rescan.

No way...the sonographer also told me the placenta was quite low. She booked me in for another scan to check it up again 6 weeks later....so thanks for that bit of advice! Tis duly noted!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    I really do dread thinking how bad you'd be, if you go for a second you could find out! Im already saying never again.

I think we will find out if its a boy or girl, the pregnancy was a surprise anyway! But if we do, we're keeping it to ourselves. Same with the name. My late father's name if a boy and we're 99% agreed on a floral name for a
    girl.

Im really counting on being better by wk 21 coz Im getting married, with a cruise honeymoon. The last thing I need is to be sick on a boat! If there is a god, I'll be fine by then. *shakes fist at sky*

I was 21 weeks on my honeymoon too and we had the best most lovely time. My hyperemesis was so bad in early pregnancy I thought I'd never survive it, but even though I still wasn't 100% back to normal (and I think most are at this stage) it didn't spoil anything. We were all inclusive too so it meant there was no drama over ordering food and only eating a little of it. There was always a snack to be had somewhere and the staff really looked after me. And they make great virgin cocktails so you really feel like you're celebrating (and I had the odd glass of bubbly too). Having your room so close all the time is great for naps, and there are seats everywhere on those cruise ships. I thought I'd hate being pregnant on honeymoon but I wouldn't change a thing. You've never seen two happier people. Congrats, you'll have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

I was 21 weeks on my honeymoon too and we had the best most lovely time. My hyperemesis was so bad in early pregnancy I thought I'd never survive it, but even though I still wasn't 100% back to normal (and I think most are at this stage) it didn't spoil anything. We were all inclusive too so it meant there was no drama over ordering food and only eating a little of it. There was always a snack to be had somewhere and the staff really looked after me. And they make great virgin cocktails so you really feel like you're celebrating (and I had the odd glass of bubbly too). Having your room so close all the time is great for naps, and there are seats everywhere on those cruise ships. I thought I'd hate being pregnant on honeymoon but I wouldn't change a thing. You've never seen two happier people. Congrats, you'll have a blast!

Oh thank you for telling me this! I feel SOOO much better knowing you were in the same boat (quite literally, lol!) Our cruise is all inclusive as well so I was a bit gutted initially because I was thinking of missing out on all that lovely free booze! But virgin cocktails sound lush :-) And of course there will be the occasional spritzer, after all it is our honeymoon! And my birthday, so lots of celebrations :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Well the baby is definitely head down this morning. I just ate an orange and now it's got hiccups :)

Well the baby is definitely head down this morning. I just ate an orange and now it's got hiccups :)

Baba has been down since 28 weeks I'm nearly 35 weeks now and the hiccups never stop you can see my belly move with each one it's really funny and they can last ages too

My son was definitely like that from early on although this one has been mostly transverse up to recently.

I have to stop lying down on the sofa in the evenings and sit up straight to encourage it into head down all the time. All I want to do is lie on the sofa though :(

My son was definitely like that from early on although this one has been mostly transverse up to recently.

I have to stop lying down on the sofa in the evenings and sit up straight to encourage it into head down all the time. All I want to do is lie on the sofa though :(

The couch is my safe haven baby kicks hard and the only way I can ease how hard I feel it is to lie on my side on the couch. Hopefully baby will turn for you but who knows it may have already. I can tell what way baba is lien as the foot sticks out a lot on one side looks so weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

This is me exactly :) doing my best over next 2 weeks and have been lying on ironing board up against couch every night fir last week! Ridiculous! I have never wanted to slouch so badly! My daughter Is loving me playing alot on all fours tho - she loves crawling under me although bump is kinda in the way!
    Have scan on wed so ill see if any of it has worked! If not I'm trying moxibustion and if that doesn't work I'm going back to slouching!!!

Fingers crossed for you dublinlady. It's an added level of stress you don't need at this stage.

Fingers crossed for you dublinlady. It's an added level of stress you don't need at this stage.

Ah yeah but as its gotten closer I've kinda come more to terms with it - I just want her out safe now whatever route she fancies taking :) can't imagine 5 days in hosp away from my daughter but in a plus side it'll give me and the babs a good chance to get the breast feeding well established and get the bonding well underway :)

Didn't realise ur little one was transverse HS? Has it def changed? Is transverse more dangerous that frank breech? It's something I know nothing about!

With the hiccups - I feel them all over my bump - sometimes down low sometimes at my belly button! I got them a lot more on my first pregnancy!

• Advertisement

I read a little on transverse and it seems it's quite unusual that they don't turn at some stage. It's been head down now since fri but I'm staying upright as much as possible.

Btw I bought the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and it's very interesting. There's lots of info on feeding/latching on after c sections etc but in general there's lots of info on what to do after birth and what of you can't get baby to latch on straightaway. I'd recommend it if you're giving serious thought to breastfeeding. Perhaps you could borrow it from a local la Leche league library or a public library if you don't want to buy it. It's definitely worth a flick through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My baby was transverse and never moved. I wish I'd stopped listening to all the old wives' tales and tips on getting baby to move. I should have prepared mentally for an elective section and what to expect.
    I found breastfeeding harder than the section recovery. It was nothing like the books said and I only got frustrated reading 'The Womanly Art', its so dogmatic and as I ended up combination feeding it was disheartening to read all the negative stuff about it. Kellymom was an OK resource but next time I'm going on what's working rather than the 'experts'.

I read a little on transverse and it seems it's quite unusual that they don't turn at some stage. It's been head down now since fri but I'm staying upright as much as possible.

Btw I bought the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and it's very interesting. There's lots of info on feeding/latching on after c sections etc but in general there's lots of info on what to do after birth and what of you can't get baby to latch on straightaway. I'd recommend it if you're giving serious thought to breastfeeding. Perhaps you could borrow it from a local la Leche league library or a public library if you don't want to buy it. It's definitely worth a flick through.

Thanks - ill def buy it if its good - I breast fed my daughter for 14 weeks and loved it but we had severe difficulties with latching on issues and as a result she literally couldn't feed at all - the midwives had me pumping and giving that way for first couple days and when I pushed against this we finally gotta latch but only using nipple shields. Now they were great in that it meant I could feed her directly but it is ultimately what stopped me feeding her longer and all the messing with sterile nipple shields when trying to get her latched on when out and about made it more difficult than I was willing to accept. They said it was because if my nipple shape which I know is rubbish :( I'm so determined to go without them this time I plan and simple wont give up!! Ill def read the book as feel if I knew more about latch myself I may get on better.

For other ppl ending in section - I didn't find it affected breast feeding at all -- in fact feeding was a great excuse to sit and relax and recover!!! Loved it - appealed to my lazy nature ;) I just used pillows to prop her up and it didn't hurt my scar at all! They are so small and light then it's grand! I think after a section it would be much harder to bottle feed - having to get up and walk around to sterilise and prepare the feeds would be much more uncomfortable!

HS - I keep getting major jibes in my side and wonder is this one transverse now but then I feel the head move again and it seems to be spending most it's time under my right ribs! I find it so hard to tell tho! Hope ur little one behaves :) sitting upright and spending time on all fours seems to be the way to help - although there isn't a huge amount if evidence even that works!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

When are you back in the hospital DL? Will keep the fingers crossed for you!

I'm back tues week for 36 week apt so hoping she'll be in the right position for me. Although like you I can't for the life of me work her position out!

Oops sorry re read your post, see you're back wed, best of luck!'

My bump used to go rigid crossways during braxton hicks and I could feel it was softer/more hollow on top and bottom. I can kind of feel what I suppose is the bum under my ribs and the back but if it wasn't for the hiccups being very low down I wouldn't have a clue if it was head or bum down.

I suppose we're all on a wait and see from now on!

All this hiccup chat has me excited cos she just is in the middle of a big bout and they are really low!!!!

Digs - really hope ur babs moves!!! Only another week til u find out!

I need to bear in mind that even if this one has moved for wed there's a possibility it'll move back cos my first girl didn't go breech til 37 weeks!! If this one has turned tho ill be spending they rest of this pregnancy on all fours!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

Had to cover a girl in a very very stressful section at work today. It did me no good at all. I was a wreck totally emotional and got myself so worked up I got a pain across my stomach (which did scare me) Im down to cover this section again next thurs when the girl is off for the day. After today I cant put myself and baby through it again. Im near 16weeks. I havent told work yet (Im not showing at all yet) so have no excuse to get me out of covering...short of calling in sick which I dont want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

cute6guru wrote: »
    Had to cover a girl in a very very stressful section at work today. It did me no good at all. I was a wreck totally emotional and got myself so worked up I got a pain across my stomach (which did scare me) Im down to cover this section again next thurs when the girl is off for the day. After today I cant put myself and baby through it again. Im near 16weeks. I havent told work yet (Im not showing at all yet) so have no excuse to get me out of covering...short of calling in sick which I dont want to do.

I don't know where you work, or at what, but my advice would be - tell work that you're pregnant! They have a duty of care towards pregnant employees, and if your job is at all unsafe, they have to do a risk assessment and protect you from unsafe elements of your job. I work in residential care, and some if it involves dangerous elements - I told my boss as soon as I knew I was pregnant and I've been able to work in the quieter, safer sections and will do so for the duration of my pregnancy.

Is there a reason you've not told work yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

nikpmup wrote: »

I don't know where you work, or at what, but my advice would be - tell work that you're pregnant! They have a duty of care towards pregnant employees, and if your job is at all unsafe, they have to do a risk assessment and protect you from unsafe elements of your job. I work in residential care, and some if it involves dangerous elements - I told my boss as soon as I knew I was pregnant and I've been able to work in the quieter, safer sections and will do so for the duration of my pregnancy.

Is there a reason you've not told work yet?
    To be honest Ive been put off telling them as my boss is a total horrible wagon to put it mildly. Another girl waited until she was 20weeks last month to tell her and she wasnt very nice about it. I know I shouldnt give a crap what this woman thinks I have this argument with myself daily!! But when I decide to do it I chicken out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

cute6guru wrote: »
    To be honest Ive been put off telling them as my boss is a total horrible wagon to put it mildly. Another girl waited until she was 20weeks last month to tell her and she wasnt very nice about it. I know I shouldnt give a crap what this woman thinks I have this argument with myself daily!! But when I decide to do it I chicken out!

If you think work are going to be difficult, then arm yourself with all the facts you can about pregnant employees rights before you tell them - I'd say the wagon would back down pretty quickly if she realised you weren't taking any crap and had the facts to back yourself up! It's horrible that you should be putting yourself at risk because your boss is a cow.

Advertisement