Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

dublinlady wrote: »

It's amazing what happens when they start to sleep a little..... Your so smitten and then the hormones takeover.... They say not to make any big decisions within 9 months of having a baby.... I'm so sticking to that this time!!!! Haha! :eek:

Lol! You could do a me & have 2 babies within a year :p
    It'll be a very very very long time before I'm pregnant again if I go again!
    Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancies ladies :) it's the most amazing experience and once baby arrives you'll feel like it was forever ago since you were pregnant! It goes so quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My husband is already talking about baby number 2 and I have 13 weeks to go on this one. He came home yesterday and I was in the kitchen cooking his dinner with my big bump in the way. He was making lots of jokes about this being my rightful place and saying how he wants to keep me knocked up :D

I'm thinking when this one is 2 we'll try again, the hyperemesis took so much out of me that I think that alone will take a long time to forget and make me want to go again! Fair play to you ladies doing it so close together, my hat goes off to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Two close together would be my worst nightmare. I am wrecked with pregnancy and a very independent child (though does that not equate to more stress keeping an eye on the mischievous devil!). 4 years apart for my two and already I can see my hands will be full. :D

Is it normal to worry about how you can fit the love you have for one again for another. I am so scared I don't have room because I love my little boy so much. I know it is stupid because everyone says it is not divided, it is multiplied, but I still worry, though I already love bump, pregnancy woes and all.

I have my 22 week scan on Friday in the Rotunda, I can't remember, do I ask for my file in reception before going up or just head straight for the scan area? Anyone able to give me a hand with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Wolfpawnat, they usually send your file on up ahead. I would go straight to the ultrasound section upstairs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Two close together would be my worst nightmare. .

Cheers for that!! Haha!! Sometimes I think it's what ur used to tho - I come from a large family where there was only 1-2 yrs between us all, we all so close now I just can't imagine my kids missing out on that! But there's advantages to both ways and so long as a happy mama and dada with lots of love to give that's all A baby needs!! I can't wait to see them together tho - I think it'll be just so lovely watching them grow up together :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Cheers for that!! Haha!! Sometimes I think it's what ur used to tho - I come from a large family where there was only 1-2 yrs between us all, we all so close now I just can't imagine my kids missing out on that! But there's advantages to both ways and so long as a happy mama and dada with lots of love to give that's all A baby needs!! I can't wait to see them together tho - I think it'll be just so lovely watching them grow up together :)

I'm on your wavelength haha! There's 4 of us lumped together close in age, great craic growing up and I'd be lost without them now, prob not as much fun for our poor parents. 10 yr gap then and the youngest came along, my mum got some shock! I'm 27 and would ideally love to have our babies by the time I'm 30/31 although the thoughts of being pregnant again so soon terrifies me, feel like I've been pregnant forever and it is no picnic haha! That's in an ideal world where everything goes to plan though :) mini digs needs to show her face first before I can even consider it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on when is the best time to start drinking the rasberry leaf tea.. I'm 32 weeks +4 and bought a packet there in the health food shop. Don't want to start too early!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

cant26 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on when is the best time to start drinking the rasberry leaf tea.. I'm 32 weeks +4 and bought a packet there in the health food shop. Don't want to start too early!

AFAIK, it's not meant to bring on labour, only to strengthen it when it does. I drink it all the time, pregnant or not, it's yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

cant26 wrote: »

I started drinking it at 35 weeks, had double checked with my gp and she said to go ahead. Seems to be differing opinions though and different people start at different times, like Das kitty said! Am 37 weeks now and drink two cups a day now, I really like the taste of it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Das Kitty wrote: »

AFAIK, it's not meant to bring on labour, only to strengthen it when it does. I drink it all the time, pregnant or not, it's yummy.

Great ill make a cup now so! Be good to steer away from the caffeinated tea for a change. :)

• Advertisement

I'm 34 weeks & taking 2 tablets & drinking 2 cups of the tea a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

Im 18wks now. nearly half way!! i feel im drinking too much tea. i havent touched coffee though as the smell makes my stomach turn since I found out I was preg. Im having about 3 cups a day is this too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

cute6guru wrote: »
    Im 18wks now. nearly half way!! i feel im drinking too much tea. i havent touched coffee though as the smell makes my stomach turn since I found out I was preg. Im having about 3 cups a day is this too much?

Because I'm super-paranoid about everything, I switched to decaf tea as soon as I found out - I did buy decaf coffee but I've gone off coffee as well! Perhaps switch to decaf to set your mind at ease?

I have anything from 2-5 cups of tea a day, but my docs okayed this as I was addicted to caffeinated energy drinks and when I found out I was pregnant I tried to go cold turkey and was very unwell. Decaf is best really, but 3 teas is not dangerous.

I don't drink tea/coffee but I am a big diet coke fiend. I've switched to caffeine free but there's a lot of advice out there that the sweeteners in them aren't great for babies. I still get nauseous a lot though and it's the only thing that helps! I think a few cups of tea a day won't do you any harm, as long as you're not drinking it by the gallon!

I've found the labelling on cheese to be the most frustrating thing with regards to food and pregnancy. Hardly any of the labels say if the milk is pasteurised or not. My friend's Dad is a cheese maker and he said a lot of the supermarket own brand stuff (like the brie/camembert) would be made with pasteurised milk but as it doesn't explicitly say I don't want to risk it. I did find Greek feta in Lidl the other day that was made with pasteurised milk and I'm in heaven eating it. I love cheese! :D

This might be of help Murdy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_cheeses

The websites for the cheeses can be good too.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I've found the labelling on cheese to be the most frustrating thing with regards to food and pregnancy. Hardly any of the labels say if the milk is pasteurised or not. My friend's Dad is a cheese maker and he said a lot of the supermarket own brand stuff (like the brie/camembert) would be made with pasteurised milk but as it doesn't explicitly say I don't want to risk it. I did find Greek feta in Lidl the other day that was made with pasteurised milk and I'm in heaven eating it. I love cheese! :D

I am a huge fan of cream cheese, it was one of the first things I googled when I was pregnant. Can I have Philly and crackers. It is one of their most frequently asked questions apparently.

I am a huge chicken liver fan too. I crave nothing more because I know I can't have it! :( Often it's what you canNOT have is what you want most!

Love cream cheese too - I'm glad it's ok. I've been using it a lot in cooking recently with pasta dishes because it really helps with the heartburn!

Thanks for the list - I can see myself getting fatter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

First time posting in here since my last pregnancy :)

Just reading all the posts about what can and can't be eaten. I haven't stopped eating any food at all (except coffee and meat as I can't smell it without being ill). Is this really wrong? I am being careful about the sources of the food (i.e. no ham from the local deli which never looks clean). I obviously don't drink alcohol.

I read on another forum that even sushi was o.k. if eaten in a decent restaurant. I didn't save the link however. I haven't been sick so far - but maybe this is just luck.

I had 2 mc's previously where I was really picky and it made no difference. This time I have just done what ever I've wanted and eaten anything and I'm the furthest along in a pregnancy then ever before (18 weeks).
    :D:D

I think some of the advice around is overzealous to be honest but I'm being relatively good. Not eating soft cheese anymore, making sure my meat is cooked all the way through and avoiding things with raw eggs (really miss runny boiled/poached eggs with Hollandaise!) are the main things I've been doing. You're not supposed to eat sliced ham etc unless it's been cooked in a toasted sandwich but I've been ignoring that :) I've also been extra careful about hygiene when cooking but tbh - I haven't felt I'm missing out on much being pregnant and I don't miss alcohol at all!

Also, whipped soft serve ice cream is meant to be a no no due to Listeria so I got a malteasers ice cream today instead of the 99 I so badly wanted!

Congrats on your pregnancy btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I think some of the advice around is overzealous to be honest but I'm being relatively good. Not eating soft cheese anymore, making sure my meat is cooked all the way through and avoiding things with raw eggs (really miss runny boiled/poached eggs with Hollandaise!) are the main things I've been doing. You're not supposed to eat sliced ham etc unless it's been cooked in a toasted sandwich but I've been ignoring that :) I've also been extra careful about hygiene when cooking but tbh - I haven't felt I'm missing out on much being pregnant and I don't miss alcohol at all!

Also, whipped soft serve ice cream is meant to be a no no due to Listeria so I got a malteasers ice cream today instead of the 99 I so badly wanted!

Congrats on your pregnancy btw :)

Oops, I had a 99 ice cream a few weeks ago. Haven't had one in years but got a sudden craving and it was delicious. Didn't realise I wasn't supposed to eat them.

I have really missed alcohol although I was never a huge drinker but like a glass of wine or cold beer. Got an alcohol free paulaner beer with my dinner tonight. It was lovely.

I think most foods are fine, in moderation.

Nothing undercooked seems to be the rule, not fun for a meat eater like me who would have my steak looking like it were straight off the cow if possible. Same MW with the soft boiled eggs, I miss them terribly. Some meats such as pork, poultry and fish are dangerous to under cook anyway so it would be fairly normal to give them a good flash in the pan.

Didn't know the ham one, but had no grá for it so haven't been eating it anyway.

Congrats Dinkie. :D Hope the sickness leaves you soon enough.

Just a quick question ladies.

Been told the placenta is very low and it obstructing the exit. I am 22 weeks currently and have another doc appointment in two weeks so will discuss it fully with them then.

I have another scan set for 34 weeks to see if it has moved. Out of the ladies here who have/had low placentas, did they move for ye or did they remain low?

I didn't know placentas could move.

As for the food thing, to be honest I haven't been worrying about it. I still have my runny eggs and rare steak. I've eaten a little pate and soft cheeses. I haven't had alcohol since I found out I was pregnant, but if the mood takes me I'll have a glass of ale or a g&t once in a while. I still have my cup of morning coffee.

AFAIK, the ham thing doesn't apply here, but in warmer countries where listeria can thrive more easily.

Last time I was pregnant I was probably more careful. I remember peanuts were verboten at the time and I avoided them in spite of cravings for dry roasted KP. :p

I didn't know placentas could move.

Neither did I. Once I saw it really low on the screen and the sonographer confirmed it and was telling me that I had to be careful with bleeding (well all bleeding is bad obviously) I kind of assumed it would mean it was there to stay for the rest of the pregnancy. The partner said it stays there in other animals so he's not sure what they are expecting mine to do, hence the question, we're slightly baffled.

I just don't want to Google, more BS than info there when health issues are concerned.

As for the food thing, to be honest I haven't been worrying about it. I still have my runny eggs and rare steak. I've eaten a little pate and soft cheeses.

I was bold and had some pate too. It says to be careful because of the Vit A content, but some women take regular multivitamins the whole way through.

I'd say if we were to look at everything we should not eat while pregnant, we'd probably only be on rain water and rice! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/FetalAlcoholSyndrome.html

This is a good and balanced article on what the real risks of alcohol in pregnancy are. There seems to be no need whatsoever to worry about the odd drink here and there.

Sadly I've been so ill I've had no interest, but I'm looking forward to a glass of wine in the future!

Wolfpawnat - I had that in my last - and it's not that it moves its that as your uterus stretches it can kinda drag it out of the way!! As in it stay hooked on to the same part of uterus but because the uterus is stretching the shape alters and so essentially the placenta is moved out of the way! Mine went from frontal previa to middle front and so wasn't in the way! That was from 20 weeks to 30 odd! Had a section anyway as it turned out but not because of that! I think they are fairly unpredictable so it's just time that'll tell which way you'll stretch!

I have a glass of wine every now or again, I avoid runny eggs and raw meat. I avoid pâté and soft & blue cheeses. I kind eat everything else! A lot of everything else for that matter....!!!

Wolfpawnat - I had that in my last - and it's not that it moves its that as your uterus stretches it can kinda drag it out of the way!! As in it stay hooked on to the same part of uterus but because the uterus is stretching the shape alters and so essentially the placenta is moved out of the way! Mine went from frontal previa to middle front and so wasn't in the way! That was from 20 weeks to 30 odd! Had a section anyway as it turned out but not because of that! I think they are fairly unpredictable so it's just time that'll tell which way you'll stretch!

Thanks DL. :) As I said, I don't want to Google it. It will probably tell me that everything is terrible and whatnot. A prospective c-section doesn't bother me too much. I had one with my first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Blueskye I know Dunnes have an alcohol free wine called Fre. Have never tried it but you should give it a go.

Advertisement