Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

For the cider lovers, kopperberg's non alcoholic pear and mixed fruit ciders are gorgeous! Exactly like the alcoholic versions and can be found in dunnes and tescos.

Things I've been avoiding and really miss; runny eggs, medium rare steak, wine, so many cheeses and I know I'll get flogged for this, my weekend recreational smoke. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've avoided alcohol except for 2 glasses of wine since september. I stopped eating sushi and smoke salmon, both of which I love and cured meats like Parma ham.

I won't eat tiramasu or anything with uncooked eggs and is be careful with soft eggs.

Apart from that I eat pretty much everything.

The krombacher alcohol free beer is fab! I had a strong craving for beer at one stage and this did the job as I just wanted the taste of beer without the alcohol.

Can't wait for my vodka and tonic and sushi though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

I've also avoided alcohol except for one glass that I couldn't finish before Christmas. I felt it was going to my head,even though it was a spritzer and it freaked me out! Cannot wait for a nice big glass of Pinot Grigio. Along with a rare steak,goats cheese and smoked salmon....ahhhh yum!!

Since Christmas I've stayed away from white bread, especially sliced pan. I had terrible constipation (tmi!) so now I only eat brown soda bread and have a mix of fruit and fibre, all bran and muesli for breakfast.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've avoided alcohol except for 2 glasses of wine since september. I stopped eating sushi and smoke salmon, both of which I love and cured meats like Parma ham.

I won't eat tiramasu or anything with uncooked eggs and is be careful with soft eggs.

Apart from that I eat pretty much everything.

The krombacher alcohol free beer is fab! I had a strong craving for beer at one stage and this did the job as I just wanted the taste of beer without the alcohol.

Can't wait for my vodka and tonic and sushi though :P

I had that too, and got Holsten alcohol free beers in. I think it relates to your body wanting Vitamin B's.

I really missed soft cooked eggs and tiramsu. I craved icecream, but made my own homemade milkshakes with hard vanilla icecream, milk and my blender. I'd add whatever fruit I wanted to that and it helped. I think that craving frozen ices is an indication of Iron deficiency which in my case was true, I was on iron tablets on and off during pregnancy.

I had a low lying placenta and it moves upwards with the uterus as it stretches upwards into your abdomen during pregnancy progression. Though sometimes its covering the cervix and stays covering it at the end. They'll check it with scans though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    For the cider lovers, kopperberg's non alcoholic pear and mixed fruit ciders are gorgeous! Exactly like the alcoholic versions and can be found in dunnes and tescos.

Things I've been avoiding and really miss; runny eggs, medium rare steak, wine, so many cheeses and I know I'll get flogged for this, my weekend recreational smoke. *sigh*

Are you feeling a bit better now? Starting to eat? I was just talking to my husband about the awful sick months and how I didn't think I'd get through them. It's crazy looking back on it!

I don't miss alcohol at all - I'd always pick a bar of chocolate over a glass of wine so I've had nothing since getting pregnant. I do kind of like the idea of non-alcoholic Kopperberg though. I may check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

Are you feeling a bit better now? Starting to eat? I was just talking to my husband about the awful sick months and how I didn't think I'd get through them. It's crazy looking back on it!

I don't miss alcohol at all - I'd always pick a bar of chocolate over a glass of wine so I've had nothing since getting pregnant. I do kind of like the idea of non-alcoholic Kopperberg though. I may check it out :)

Yeah I am, thanks MW, but Im still on the zofran though. I ran out last week on the bank holiday and within minutes of getting out of bed, I was on my knees throwing up. The nausea and vomiting lasted all day too so back to the docs next day for me. Its a battle each time to get the script off my gp though, he holds more value in the opinion of his little medical book than that of the maternity experts in cumh. Idiot.

Anyhoo, how are you feeling these days? More good than bad I hope!? The sickness is nothing short of insanity - oh when I think of the meltdowns! I still shudder at the hint of nausea.

The kopperberg is LOVELY!!! Quite sweet though so be prepared. The pear is my favourite, so delish :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Yeah I am, thanks MW, but Im still on the zofran though. I ran out last week on the bank holiday and within minutes of getting out of bed, I was on my knees throwing up. The nausea and vomiting lasted all day too so back to the docs next day for me. Its a battle each time to get the script off my gp though, he holds more value in the opinion of his little medical book than that of the maternity experts in cumh. Idiot.

Anyhoo, how are you feeling these days? More good than bad I hope!? The sickness is nothing short of insanity - oh when I think of the meltdowns! I still shudder at the hint of nausea.

The kopperberg is LOVELY!!! Quite sweet though so be prepared. The pear is my favourite, so delish :-)

I'm ok - only puke every few days now when I let myself get hungry. So now I just make sure I eat small amounts regularly. My GP also didn't like giving drugs to stop the nausea, even though the hospital gave me a script originally (although they were also very reluctant). They didn't work for me anyway so I suppose it didn't matter. All that worked was time :)

Glad you're feeling better, even if it is on drugs. Sounds like you came through the worst of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

I'm just making a playlist for labour and birth!! It probably won't even be used but I like the idea of having one as music really helps to bring me back to senarios. Any suggestions? My husband suggested salt n peppa's 'Push it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I had a playlist as well but it never came out of the bag. This was my favourite song on the list....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xczlkw_nick-cave-the-bad-seeds-into-my-arm_music#.UU9L68sgGSM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Love that song YH, it's on mine too!

Double B just a few from mine

Ed Sheeran - Kiss Me
    Damien Rice - Delicate
    Damien Dempsey - Your pretty smile
    Mumford & Sons - The Cave

My fav is Florence & The Machine Shake it out, I like the energy and baby does a little shake when she hears it so hoping it encourages movement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Thats a great idea... think I might do my own play list :) I might steal some of your suggestions. My taste in music is well known to be a little dodgy. But better then the noise that my OH listens to.

How was everyones weekend? My OH and my mother (who lives near) were away so I lay on the couch and watched terrible tv. I didn't even cook. I've survived on yoghurts, salads and sandwiches. I brought the dog out for walks, but that was as energetic as I got. It was fabulous.. although I'm looking forward to OH coming back now.

Pat McGee and definately going to try koppenburgs for a treat. The sweeter the better. Am developing quite a sweet tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

For those who are on baby number 2 or more and had natural birth already did ye notice the Braxton hicks gettin stronger and more consistent before you went into labour??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

For those who are on baby number 2 or more and had natural birth already did ye notice the Braxton hicks gettin stronger and more consistent before you went into labour??

I found them going from light niggling to period-esque cramps.

That's how a lot of mine can be described when did you decide it's time to go to hospital?

That's how a lot of mine can be described when did you decide it's time to go to hospital?

I had them for a week or two but with no rhythm or rhyme, but then I started leaking fluid (TMI sorry) so I went in. They told me they were only BH but with the leaking they induced me 24 hours later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Depending how far you have to travel, 5 mins apart and getting closer.

If they're not coming at regular intervals they'll probably send you home. Don't be afraid to give your labour ward a shout.

I know mine wouldn't see me until the pains stopped me in my tracks. Then again I live very nearby.

I was leaking a bit couple of weeks back but it stopped after 2 days now I have these fairly strong and some leaking along with back pain and pain kinda the top of my bum can't walk with the Braxton hicks

I live about 25 mins away although it can be done quicker if needed. Some are only mins apart some are 7 mins there all over but last night today and tonight iv had loads

I was leaking a bit couple of weeks back but it stopped after 2 days now I have these fairly strong and some leaking along with back pain and pain kinda the top of my bum can't walk with the Braxton hicks

Ring your hospital. BH are annoying and a bit sore, but if they are stopping you in your tracks, they may be actual labour.

• Advertisement

Yeah may just do so get checked if nothin else. Oh wouldn I smile if it was time

Yeah may just do so get checked if nothin else. Oh wouldn I smile if it was time

As long as you and baby are well, that's all that matters. I hope that you get sorted be it the real deal or just a less than comfortable practice Syn. xxx

Think I'm finished practice but if baby ain't ready I'll be patient. (well try)
    Gonna give it till tomorrow unless I get worse and at that Tuesday I'm in clinic so she might check me if not gone :-)

I have decided that it's time to bite the bullet and start packing my hospital bag! The list I have seems grand and am familiar with most of the items. Most except "heavy duty maternity pads":eek: These sound scary!! Can anyone tell me where I can pick up these wonderful items and if there are different/better/more comfortable brands. Also would I find disposable underwear in the same place?:confused:

Oh the maternity pads you best head for chemist for those not sure bout disposable undies though

Most pharmacies stock them but they may be behind the counter. They're thick green pads which aren't adhesive. They're kind of essential for the first few days at least.

I never bothered with disposable knickers. I just bough cheap granny ones from penny's or dunnes.

Boots and mothercare sell the disposable knickers.

HS I did the same I went to penny's and yeah big green pads hubby giggled at that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I got the big green ones on http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/BV-Maternity-Pads---10-Pack__41530.aspx if you're looking for discreet haha. I've seen similar in boots though too :)

They also have disposable undies online but like HS said I just got jumbo granny panties in pennys!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies! That website looks good Digs, might just get them on that and head to pennys for the granny knickers! :o

Advertisement