Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cant26 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies! That website looks good Digs, might just get them on that and head to pennys for the granny knickers! :o

deffo on the granny knickers - I'd worry about the paper ones that they'd rip and the maternity towel would drop out. During visiting hours. Make sure that you have ones that go up really high. I got some that were high waisted but were microfiber, but I still had a 5month size bump, so the waistband kept rolling down. Right onto my section scar.:eek:

So I sent himself in to buy granny knickers and he came back with... a few pairs of his Boxer shorts, as he thought they'd be looser and more comfy. Well they would have been if there was anywhere to put the maternity towel, which being a bloke, didnt occur to him. :pac: Still, its not as bad as the thongs I heard another dad brought in to his partner when she ran out of knickers after her vaginal delivery. (different forum)

Though a great tip I heard some months after and I'll do it if I have another section is to use a maternity towel across the incision inside your granny knickers to cushion it against accidental bumps, or in my case, when the knickers rolled down!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If you're buying from in health enter EASTER for 10% discount. Valid until 2nd April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Does anyone else go thru spells where it's difficult to pee...? Not looking for medical advise as if it goes on ill check with the doc in case on urinary tract infection. Just want to know if its something that happens regularly towards the end? I'm 35 weeks now and it's only the last couple days. I need to pee but when I go not much happens and then I need to go again before I'm even back downstairs?!? V annoying!! I had the feeling of needing to pee every 5 mins last pregnancy but usually when I went I did actually pee a bit, this time it's just sitting there with then nada! Sorry way too much info but just wanted to see if this is normal for other ppl!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

dublinlady wrote: »
    Does anyone else go thru spells where it's difficult to pee...? Not looking for medical advise as if it goes on ill check with the doc in case on urinary tract infection. Just want to know if its something that happens regularly towards the end? I'm 35 weeks now and it's only the last couple days. I need to pee but when I go not much happens and then I need to go again before I'm even back downstairs?!? V annoying!! I had the feeling of needing to pee every 5 mins last pregnancy but usually when I went I did actually pee a bit, this time it's just sitting there with then nada! Sorry way too much info but just wanted to see if this is normal for other ppl!!!!

I was completely like that!!! I could go to the loo 7 or 8 times in a night but in reality I wouldn't have peed half a cup full. Used to think if was just me and my geriatric bladder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Same thing happened to me around 26/27 wks, and at 36 wks now, i feel at bit like that again. Think it's just the way baby is lying but god it's annoying! I though i had a bladder infection but urine tests were always clear.

• Advertisement

Great! Well not great that ye suffered / are suffering but great that its not just me!! Thanks! Hopefully the baby will move - but stay head down!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

So happy the little one finally shifted from breech for you DL. I am only 23 weeks and I find myself dying for a pee, I go, and literally less than 10 minutes later, I need to pee again but sometimes it can't come out.
    My area below gets all blood filled, swollen and sore anytime I squat or sit for too long or anything like that
    <way too much TMI!!!! I'm sorry! :( Dignity is long gone these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I keep thinking I'm getting cystitis - get that feeling down there and then run to the toilet only for a little bit of pee to come out so I know how you feel! Fairly sure it's the baby kicking/being on my bladder. It's uncomfortable though. Little divil! I keep drinking loads of water/cranberry juice just in case but it seems to go away and come back randomly.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I keep thinking I'm getting cystitis - get that feeling down there and then run to the toilet only for a little bit of pee to come out so I know how you feel! Fairly sure it's the baby kicking/being on my bladder. It's uncomfortable though. Little divil! I keep drinking loads of water/cranberry juice just in case but it seems to go away and come back randomly.

I used to be plagued with that, but then my doc told me to double void - that is, pee, wait a moment, then squeeze that last little drop out. Basically, it fully empties the bladder, so bacteria gets fully flushed out quicker. It really cleared mine up.

Neyite wrote: »
    I used to be plagued with that, but then my doc told me to double void - that is, pee, wait a moment, then squeeze that last little drop out. Basically, it fully empties the bladder, so bacteria gets fully flushed out quicker. It really cleared mine up.

Yeah, I've been trying that - also been told to lean forward when I'm peeing to make sure as much as possible comes out!

Pregnancy is mad - it seems like there's nothing it doesn't affect :)

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been trying that - also been told to lean forward when I'm peeing to make sure as much as possible comes out!

Pregnancy is mad - it seems like there's nothing it doesn't affect :)

The leaning forward has helped! Baby feels higher today which has also helped!

It is mad - cant believe I forgot how hard it is so quickly!!! Nature is devious!!!

The leaning forward has helped! Baby feels higher today which has also helped!

It is mad - cant believe I forgot how hard it is so quickly!!! Nature is devious!!!

As soon as I had my baby I forgot everything. I found out I was pregnant again and I was like "Oh it was grand last time" my best friend was talking to me on the phone asking me was it as bad again, she reminded me just unwell I had been. I totally forgot nearly immediately. DL, you must be exhausted with the little one and the baby!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    As soon as I had my baby I forgot everything. I found out I was pregnant again and I was like "Oh it was grand last time" my best friend was talking to me on the phone asking me was it as bad again, she reminded me just unwell I had been. I totally forgot nearly immediately. DL, you must be exhausted with the little one and the baby!

It's mad the pregnancy amnesia!! My husband has to keep reminding me about how bad it was! Funny tho! I'm like - I'm sure I wasn't this uncomfortable last time - he just says... Well ya went on like ya were!!!
    Meant to say thanks also as yup v delighted this little one went head down! I'm nervous as to whether she'll stay there as my daughter only went breech at 37 weeks! 2 more weeks to go before ill feel more confident about it!
    It was all fine til the last few weeks with the tiredness - I think the bending and playing is getting the better of me now and I just have to remind myself to try & be patient with her! Just takes a bit more to try to keep motivated to keep going!! She's quite happy to jump on me tho while I lie flat out in the floor so it can be win win sometimes ;)
    S

It's mad the pregnancy amnesia!! My husband has to keep reminding me about how bad it was! Funny tho! I'm like - I'm sure I wasn't this uncomfortable last time - he just says... Well ya went on like ya were!!!
    Meant to say thanks also as yup v delighted this little one went head down! I'm nervous as to whether she'll stay there as my daughter only went breech at 37 weeks! 2 more weeks to go before ill feel more confident about it!
    It was all fine til the last few weeks with the tiredness - I think the bending and playing is getting the better of me now and I just have to remind myself to try & be patient with her! Just takes a bit more to try to keep motivated to keep going!! She's quite happy to jump on me tho while I lie flat out in the floor so it can be win win sometimes ;)
    S

My 4 year old has gone all clingy. He wants me to carry him or curl up on my lap and is like a second shadow. I mean it, he has started interrupting my showers and all now. Tiring stuff some days.

I thought I would be going natural this time, low placenta, seems to be attached near or on my c-scar from no1(happens 29% of the time apparently after a section), more than likely another section, 2 kids and a healing wound is not something I like the sound of. I like the idea of knowing the exact date. It's weird, when your choices are made for you, you get slightly peeved.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

I feel the last week or two im not eating great as by time i get home im either too tired or not feeling great to go cooking or to face eating. Also Im nibbling a lot of sweets here and there something I wouldnt normally do. Have ye any meal ideas quick n healthy to help me out? I only eat chicken and sometimes steak. But love my veg.

cute6guru wrote: »
    I feel the last week or two im not eating great as by time i get home im either too tired or not feeling great to go cooking or to face eating. Also Im nibbling a lot of sweets here and there something I wouldnt normally do. Have ye any meal ideas quick n healthy to help me out? I only eat chi ken and sonetimes steak. But love my veg.

A lot of the time I don't feel like eating. Due to my OH's college and study hours I do the most of the cooking and he is a health and fitness so everything here is 99% healthy. What do you like with your chicken, rice, pasta, spuds? Most of our dinners are really tasty and easy to make, I'd have a few recipes. Also do you like things with a little kick to them or plain?

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    A lot of the time I don't feel like eating. Due to my OH's college and study hours I do the most of the cooking and he is a health and fitness so everything here is 99% healthy. What do you like with your chicken, rice, pasta, spuds? Most of our dinners are really tasty and easy to make, I'd have a few recipes. Also do you like things with a little kick to them or plain?
    My typical day would be museli for brekkie then tea and toast at 11 if Im hungry or sometimes a banana. Then lunch is salad or cheese sandwich or bagel with fruit and yogurt. But my trouble comes in the evening Im ending up having beans and masg or just a poached egg on toast I know I should be eating more but I cant. I always had a sweet tooth but was very strict on myself but the last coupme weeks Im gone terruble Id have sone jellies or some choc not everyday but still. I love things like chilli chicken with noodles or rice. I like my spuds but tend to just have a few of the baby ones. Im 19wks. My hubby doesnt get home until after me in the eves too.

You need to batch cook 2 or 3 things at the weekend. That's what we do (did before I finished up) as we both work full time and have a toddler.

We'd usually do 2 meals which will give 2 dinners each so it covers Monday to Thursday. If we were particularly organised we'd cook a little extra of something like chilli or bolognaise or stew and freeze it for another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

You need to batch cook 2 or 3 things at the weekend. That's what we do (did before I finished up) as we both work full time and have a toddler.

We'd usually do 2 meals which will give 2 dinners each so it covers Monday to Thursday. If we were particularly organised we'd cook a little extra of something like chilli or bolognaise or stew and freeze it for another week.

We did this before the baby arrived so we have a freezer full of curries, lasagnes and chilli. Problem now is that we keep forgetting to defrost them :(

My typical day would be museli for brekkie then tea and toast at 11 if Im hungry or sometimes a banana. Then lunch is salad or cheese sandwich or bagel with fruit and yogurt. But my trouble comes in the evening Im ending up having beans and masg or just a poached egg on toast I know I should be eating more but I cant. I always had a sweet tooth but was very strict on myself but the last coupme weeks Im gone terruble Id have sone jellies or some choc not everyday but still. I love things like chilli chicken with noodles or rice. I like my spuds but tend to just have a few of the baby ones. Im 19wks. My hubby doesnt get home until after me in the eves too.

A nice quick, healthy dinner is table spoon of honey, tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce and a tablespoon of Worchester sauce (I checked, it is safe in pregnancy), one diced clove of garlic (can be left out if not to your tastes or are planning to breastfeed) mix together. put diced chicken in it, heat a pan and place chicken covered in mix into pan, when fully cooked, add the last of the mixture and put with rice or noodles, fast, sweet tasting and has a tiny kick to it.

As for the few sweeties, they are lovely as a taste, but I tend to go overboard myself from time to time with them!

How strange is right too, when you get a chance, whatever way shifts and whatnot work, cook what you can and freeze. Nothing nicer than popping something into the microwave and knowing you cleaned the pots at the weekend so only a plate and container to clean tonight :D

But as YH said, you do have to remember to defrost them too!

• Advertisement

We tend to leave the food for the week in the fridge because we found too often we forgot to take it out of the freezer the night before!

Omelettes and quiches are also great fast foods. We tend to cheat and buy the shortcrust pastry in aldi.

The fresh egg pasta, pancetta, egg and parmesan cheese (carbonara) or pasata, mushroom, some herbs and parmesan also a great quick dinner. You can use dried pasta but the fresh is more filling and far nicer.

Day old rice or noodles, chicken (leftover or not), some veg, a little soy, oyster, fish sauces with honey, fried ginger and garlic and an egg makes a very quick tasty stir fry

Chicken legs or salmon fillets in the oven with baked potatoes. Roast a couple of sliced carrots or just some veg from freezer to go with it.

I remember seeing on here u can get non alcoholic kooperberg? since then im craving it and would like to get some for the weekend as a treat. They are ok to drink arent they?? Anyone seen it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I remember seeing on here u can get non alcoholic kooperberg? since then im craving it and would like to get some for the weekend as a treat. They are ok to drink arent they?? Anyone seen it anywhere?

I got some non-alcohol Kopparburg Pear Cider in Tesco, I'd imagine any supermarket with a large off-license would have it. It's very tasty, quite sweet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

nikpmup wrote: »
    I got some non-alcohol Kopparburg Pear Cider in Tesco, I'd imagine any supermarket with a large off-license would have it. It's very tasty, quite sweet though.

I second this! Very yummy though. Dunnes and Tescos both stock it, not sure about Supervalu or the smaller chains.

I must look at the weekend the dunnes near me didnt hav anything. im 20 weeks on fri and iv no bump not really showing and i dont think ive felt a kick etc. sometimes I think I have but dont know whether or not I have then. My mum said when I feel movement I will know there is no mistaking it. Whem did ye all start to show and feel baba?

I must look at the weekend the dunnes near me didnt hav anything. im 20 weeks on fri and iv no bump not really showing and i dont think ive felt a kick etc. sometimes I think I have but dont know whether or not I have then. My mum said when I feel movement I will know there is no mistaking it. Whem did ye all start to show and feel baba?

About 21 weeks, at first it may not feel like kicks at all, don't fret.

20 weeks is that weird stage. You no longer feel sick and many women don't look pregnant. It's like a weird limbo time in pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jackbrad

Broody one here :-) x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I felt it at 12 weeks (little flutters) and then proper kicks at 15 weeks. Doctor told me that usually 23 weeks you'd feel them so you may have couple weeks left when they get strong they really let you know there in there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I felt it at 12 weeks (little flutters) and then proper kicks at 15 weeks. Doctor told me that usually 23 weeks you'd feel them so you may have couple weeks left when they get strong they really let you know there in there!!

I think it's important to note that feeling movement at 13 weeks is virtually unheard of, even on a 2nd pregnancy when you know what to look out for. Your case is most definitely the exception rather than the rule. Might worry people thinking they should be feeling movement that early, when inmost cases 18 weeks is prob the absolute earliest to feel even tiny flutters.
    For me on1st it was about 22 weeks for little movements and proper kicks that could be seen and felt were much later, maybe 28 weeks + even, can't remember very well :)

• Advertisement

I felt the movement early - at 15/16 weeks, mainly because I lost loads of weight due to hyperemesis. Now, at 28 weeks the movements are so strong that they are sometimes painful and it looks like an alien is trying to escape from my belly! I asked the midwife about it the other day and she said most babies move the same amount when you scan them but it's the variables in the mother as to when/how strongly you feel it. She said it's mother's body type, where your placenta is, how strong your abdominal muscles are, things like that so it really varies very widely between women.

I think the norm is 20 - 22 weeks.

Advertisement