Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It was 17 weeks last time for me. I keep thinking I'm feeling things now at 14 weeks but it always turns out to be gas.

He's in there though, got my Angelsounds doppler up and running yesterday and heard his heart going rapid. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well I guess you could argue the fact my husband felt the kick at 15 weeks it was strong enough to make him jump. And I defo felt flutter at 12 weeks and at 13 weeks at my scan they said iv super active baby they got it hard to take measurements they said it's possible I felt a flutter. Also they said it's not normal but not impossible I'm not over weight and I had lost weight just before my wedding which was 6 weeks before I conceived

As I said before I was told 23 weeks was about normal. It was that for my friend who is due a week after me

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I though I felt something once or twice early on. Usually just passed it off as gas. But once or twice I felt it really sharp and painful in the same place - like I was hypersensitive there. I'm almost 22 weeks now and can feel plenty but still get the odd painful one in my side.

On another note, is any one else's bump kind if crooked? Like, off to one side? Mine seems to be leaning off to the side I mostly sleep on. And I'm pretty sure it was the same on my first pregnancy. :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

nicowa wrote: »
    I though I felt something once or twice early on. Usually just passed it off as gas. But once or twice I felt it really sharp and painful in the same place - like I was hypersensitive there. I'm almost 22 weeks now and can feel plenty but still get the odd painful one in my side.

On another note, is any one else's bump kind if crooked? Like, off to one side? Mine seems to be leaning off to the side I mostly sleep on. And I'm pretty sure it was the same on my first pregnancy. :-0

Contrary to what people think, bumps are seldom round. People are fascinated that mine actually appears to be quite round, but with my other guy it was a weird shape with a little ridge (his back). maybe (and I am not a professional on the matter) it is because the baby is leaning to where you sleep. I suppose gravity would have an effect on where it is lying.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Contrary to what people think, bumps are seldom round. People are fascinated that mine actually appears to be quite round, but with my other guy it was a weird shape with a little ridge (his back). maybe (and I am not a professional on the matter) it is because the baby is leaning to where you sleep. I suppose gravity would have an effect on where it is lying.

That's true I suppose. One of my friends in college a couple of years ago showed her pregnancy belly photos and - no joke- it was pointed like a bullet.

As for dinners - I'd just gotten back into cooking a few weeks ago - after the early months of morning sickness and tiredness coupled with a young toddler at home when she came down with chicken pox. So all that went out the window. Now, though she's over the pox (apart from the scabbyness) she's gotten back to being all clingy and not letting me do anything.

So if I am cooking it really has to wait until himself comes home so he can keep her occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Anyone else really full of electricity?! As in static?
    Last 2 days I've given my poor 14 month old 4 electric shocks!! They haven't been mild either! Poor thing became hysterical & terrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

dublinlady wrote: »
    Last 2 days I've given my poor 14 month old 4 electric shocks!! They haven't been mild either! Poor thing became hysterical & terrified!

Both myself and himself were the other day! Weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I was giving my cat static shocks the other day, he was not impressed!!

Haha! Not just me then!! It's awful! She doesn't know whether to be afraid of me or turn to me for comfort from the fright she got :( wonder if its off the car or something?!?

Sorry another qn!
    My last birth was a section so 5 nights stay but I did early discharge after 4. If its a natural birth how many nights is it? I'm private. But don't think that effects the length of stay. I'd like to have the option of 3 I think... Would live to have the breast feeding properly established before arriving home to my 14 month old. Bet ill end up missing her too much & want to come home straight away but just want to know my options!

• Advertisement

Midwife told me to allow a 3 night stay for a natural birth and 5 nights for a section, that's in Holles St

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sorry another qn!
    My last birth was a section so 5 nights stay but I did early discharge after 4. If its a natural birth how many nights is it? I'm private. But don't think that effects the length of stay. I'd like to have the option of 3 I think... Would live to have the breast feeding properly established before arriving home to my 14 month old. Bet ill end up missing her too much & want to come home straight away but just want to know my options!

3 nights in the coombe anyway. I had planned on only staying 1 or 2 bug like you, I stayed until breastfeeding was established and went home more confident. I'm sure it's hard when you have a little one at home but I guess m it's important you hace enough time to bond with the new baby too. Not long for you now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Here in the midlands it varies my cousin had her first child few weeks ago and she was out after two days. It says it could be 5 though. Don't think I know anyone to stay that long unless its a section

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Do you get the choice to stay a bit longer if you feel you are not ready to go home? I am in galway and someone told me depending on what time of the day you give birth and if all is good you could be discharged 8 hours later. I don't like the sound of that. I think I will still be in shock by that stage!! Would love two nights so any questions that arise can be answered and I won't be a bag of nerves going home!

I think u can do early discharge in some hospitals purely if u want to but they'd never force u out after 8 hrs I don't think? I just have heard that its 2-3 so I'm glad to hear 3 in holles st as that's where I'm headed!
    I know it comes down to health insurance sometimes - they only pay for so many nights - I.e 5 after a section - I just couldn't hack the lack of sleep after the section with the noise in the room so left after 4!
    I like the thoughts of having extra time to bond with little one but also freaking about leaving elder one at all :( she's gonna be so confused! However at the rate I keep electric shocking her she'll be glad to see the back of me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Wow I'm the opposite this time around. I want to get home as quick as possible. I was so exhausted leaving the hospital after 2 nights on my son that I think it made me even more shell shocked. I didn't sleep at all for the whole time. At night it was the babies crying; mine would just finish and another would start and the wards are so busy during the day that I found it hard to rest.

My husband of course wants me to stay in for a night or two (I suspect so he can go and wet the baby's head!) but I just want to get home and nest in my own bed. My recent two night stay reaffirmed this for me in case I was in any doubt!

I want to get home as quick as possible too. I've asked for early discharge if the birth goes well and I'm eligible. I'm with the midwives clinic and if you get early discharge the midwives will come to your house to visit you for 5 days and you only stay one night in hospital.. You need to be in the catchment area though.This is my first though so no other little one at home (except the cat, who is also my baby!)

Fingers crossed I'll be eligible for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My friend was in for four days before the birth and was out the door like a greyhound from a trap one day after the baby was born. As long as there is no complications, they will be glad to let you go. So long as there is someone to help you. I dunno how I feel. I may have to have another section and with a little 4 year old terror (and I call him that affectionately) I am not sure would I be physically able. But with a section it is a min of 3/4 nights anyway so my options may be made for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Funny, that kept happening to me the other day too. Wonder if it's to do with pregnancy?

NextSteps wrote: »
    Funny, that kept happening to me the other day too. Wonder if it's to do with pregnancy?

I dunno but I feel like some outta control super hero:p
    Except my powers just involve scaring my own child...and dog...and self... Hmm not great really!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I dunno but I feel like some outta control super hero:p
    Except my powers just involve scaring my own child...and dog...and self... Hmm not great really!!!

DL I have given my hubby shocks when going in for a kiss haha!! That wasn't fun! Dog and cat have been on the receiving end too.

I go through phases of being static, think it depends on the weather and is worse if I wear uggs. My office was the worst, I used to have to open the doors with rulers as I kept getting shocks off the handles :D won't touch lift buttons or steel banisters, I look like a freak in public hitting buttons with my elbows!

Digs wrote: »
    DL I have given my hubby shocks when going in for a kiss haha!! That wasn't fun! Dog and cat have been on the receiving end too.

I go through phases of being static, think it depends on the weather and is worse if I wear uggs. My office was the worst, I used to have to open the doors with rulers as I kept getting shocks off the handles :D won't touch lift buttons or steel banisters, I look like a freak in public hitting buttons with my elbows!

I'm like that when I hit the shopping centre with the pram. Something about all that rubber and I just turn to static. I try and have something handy to press the lift buttons with cos it's really starting to upset me. You know, it's kinda like Chinese Torture, small things building up to make something so much worse combined....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

hav any of u been given a list of what to bring to the hospital on the day?? Im 21wks. Should I have been given this yet or am I too eager??!! Im attending a gyny privately.

cute6guru wrote: »
    hav any of u been given a list of what to bring to the hospital on the day?? Im 21wks. Should I have been given this yet or am I too eager??!! Im attending a gyny privately.

Hi,
    They don't give u a list from holles st anyway ( I've been semi p and private)
    But the following is a link to a thread that was on here all about it, you can also google it and pages like eu mom have lists

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056737534/1#post80445891

They say to have it ready around 30-34 weeks. No harm in starting to collect bits & pieces tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I hope to be joining this thread under my usual Boards username soon, but best stay unreg'd for now!

I tested positive last week, however the same day I started getting a very small amount of brown discharge (no red blood, though.) It's continued on and off since, still very light. I got a scan done in Holles St on Friday - nothing there (although the urine test they did was positive.) They did my bloods Friday, and are doing them again today, so hopefully I'll have some answers tomorrow.

This is my first pregnancy. I'm very much hoping that it was just too early too see anything on the scan. I'm still getting plenty of symptoms anyways, so fingers crossed!

How often are hosp appts in holles st after ur due date? Shouldn't make any difference but I'm a private patient. I have appt on thurs when I'm 40 weeks - will it be a week after that? Then what? Lol I know I can ask on thurs but just wondering. Doc said would let me go 10-12 days over depending on how doing. I'm hoping for a VBAC.

How often are hosp appts in holles st after ur due date? Shouldn't make any difference but I'm a private patient. I have appt on thurs when I'm 40 weeks - will it be a week after that? Then what? Lol I know I can ask on thurs but just wondering. Doc said would let me go 10-12 days over depending on how doing. I'm hoping for a VBAC.

I have an appointment today if you want me to ask for you? I'm in the midwives clinic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

DL I was public in holles street. Had my 40+1 apt and then back a week later at 40+8 much to my delight. Next step was scan at overdue day 12 which thankfully I didn't need as I went myself. Might be a bit different for you given you have a day 12 cut off point, of alls fine normally you're let go to 14 days over!

Hang in there, my god it's torture but you and baba will get there and would be great for her to come on her own steam!

• Advertisement

Digs wrote: »
    DL I was public in holles street. Had my 40+1 apt and then back a week later at 40+8 much to my delight. Next step was scan at overdue day 12 which thankfully I didn't need as I went myself. Might be a bit different for you given you have a day 12 cut off point, of alls fine normally you're let go to 14 days over!

Hang in there, my god it's torture but you and baba will get there and would be great for her to come on her own steam!

Thanks murdy - hope all went well today?

Thanks digs - I thought that would be the case / I reckon it'll be 41 weeks and then 10 days for me.. I hope like you I don't need the last one! Actually If I could go without this Thursdays that would be ideal!!!!
    I felt for u so much when u went over and now here I am at almost 40 weeks and I was convinced I'd go early!!! I'm dillusional!! Once she comes before I have to have a section around day 12 ill be happy - I just wish I knew now if that was gaurenteed!!! Wishful thinking!!!

Advertisement