Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hey guys, just found out that i'm 5 weeks pregnant. dunno how I feel really, kinda shocked and scared I think, my other half is over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

i am just into the 7th week and are not feeling great at the moment. I went to see nurse last week, she said that I need to decide if i want to go public or private next time I see her.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference between them apart from the cost.

thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congrats to you both lolli and potter on. Both around the Christmas mark then I take it??

Potter on, I think the difference between public and private is just that, the cost. Private you may get to see the same consultant all the way through (always a chance your consultant could go on holidays during your pregnancy.) The midwife delivers the baby unless there are complications and you're not even guaranteed a private room, it's only if there is one available. I got excellent care when I went public. Had to stay in hospital for five days because of c section and it didn't cost me a penny... if you went private it would be very expensive.

Thank you adrieanne__x. The internet tells me 9th January!!! That seems so far away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

lolli wrote: »
    Thank you adrieanne__x. The internet tells me 9th January!!! That seems so far away!!

Trust me it won't be long going!!

I still can't believe we found out at Christmas and it's May already. Time is just flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

God its dragging for me!! I found out in late January and I'm due in Oct. The last 2 kids I had Christmas in the middle which seemed to break it up a bit.

Trust me it won't be long going!!

I still can't believe we found out at Christmas and it's May already. Time is just flying.

Yeah probably wont be long going around. I'm really scared about having it. I like the thought of the baby but not the birth. If i probably had to plan to have one I wouldnt for that reason cos i'm so scared about it.

Hi adrieanne_x

thanks for the information there. nurse told me that I need to ring around to find a consultant if I want to go private, that means I may not get one if everyone is booked up. I think I will go public, since most people I know went public and they all went ok.

at the moment, just need look after myself. It is still a long way to go.:pac:
    Congrats to you both lolli and potter on. Both around the Christmas mark then I take it??

Potter on, I think the difference between public and private is just that, the cost. Private you may get to see the same consultant all the way through (always a chance your consultant could go on holidays during your pregnancy.) The midwife delivers the baby unless there are complications and you're not even guaranteed a private room, it's only if there is one available. I got excellent care when I went public. Had to stay in hospital for five days because of c section and it didn't cost me a penny... if you went private it would be very expensive.

lolli wrote: »
    Yeah probably wont be long going around. I'm really scared about having it. I like the thought of the baby but not the birth. If i probably had to plan to have one I wouldnt for that reason cos i'm so scared about it.

Ditto. Completely terrified of actually having the baby. I'd quite like to fast forward past that part. Why can't the men have to go through it? :D

Ditto. Completely terrified of actually having the baby. I'd quite like to fast forward past that part. Why can't the men have to go through it? :D

Ha my boyfriend was talking to me about it last night and I told him how scared I was about it and said he'd have it if he could, but i bet if it could happen he wouldnt :P

Pain relief all the way hun!!

• Advertisement

I just got my first antenatal check up letter from HSE today, it is on 1st July. It seems a long way way. it will be the end of my 15th week. Is this normal? does anyone know what happens in the first check up?

potter on wrote: »
    I just got my first antenatal check up letter from HSE today, it is on 1st July. It seems a long way way. it will be the end of my 15th week. Is this normal? does anyone know what happens in the first check up?

I think it really depends on what hospital you're going to?

I had my first antenatal check up at CUMH at 13 weeks. It really is combined care with GP visits in between hospital visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Didn't get my first visit til I was 19 weeks. Depends on the hospital because the Coombe would have seen me at 12 weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Semi private is the best of both worlds:)
    i am just into the 7th week and are not feeling great at the moment. I went to see nurse last week, she said that I need to decide if i want to go public or private next time I see her.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference between them apart from the cost.

thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I was almost 16 weeks when I got my first appointment too, it seems to be fairly normal. Usually you get a scan, blood tests and they check your urine (bring a sample of your first wee of the day) and go through your medical history.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi.. Yes unfortunatley they make you wait that long for your first appointment!
    Depend's on what hospital you are going to but i had a "mini scan" at my first appointment at 14 weeks to check for baby's heartbeat and to make sure there was only one baby in there :o I attended holles st hospital. I had my "big scan" at 20 weeks. I never had to bring a urine sample and i was never asked to bring one with me. Again it might depend on the hospital.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

thanks,

First of congratulations. It is hard at the start but it does get easier. And then hard again. ;)

If you go fully private, you will see the same consultant every time. You will be given an appointment and will most likely see the consultant at the given time. Afterwards you will get a private room where available. Sometimes you have to go to semi private for a day and then they will slot you in to your private room as soon as it is available. It will cost you around €3000.

Semi Private, you attend the semi private clinic. You will see different consultants, will get to wait for a while for each visit, but not too long.
    Afterwards, you get a bed in the semi private ward which has 3 beds per room and is generally a lot quieter than the public ward, which can have 8 beds. If you have insurance this will cost you €750. This is the option I have used on both my pregnancies. Both times I spent some time on the public wards. The first time I spent one night in the public ward, which was fine, but very busy and very noisey but it was grand. The second time I was on the public ward for a few hours and then moved to Semi Private. I only spent one night in hospital and then went home as it was my second time and both me and Baby were fine and I wanted some peace.

Public, I'm not sure if you have to pay anything, but by all means the care is the exact same as the other two options and the only difference is that you will be on the public ward. In Dublin, sometimes, this can be tough. My sister was beside a junkie who kept on shouting at her baby to shut up, her boyfriend was sprawled accross the bed out of it when I visited and their 3 three year old was wandering the corridors. And their poor new baby screamed most of the night, probably withdrawing from heroin. A horrible sight, and there isn't anything the nurses can do about it. But maybe she was just unlucky that day.

If you can afford it, maybe go for semi private, if not you will still get the best care they can offer going public. I think the private option is mad expensive, unless you are loaded.

hope this helps.

thanks all for the information re. public/private. I've decided to go for public. Hopefully it will all work out fine.

I rang HSE re. my first antenatal appointment yesterday. I wasn't hopeful when I rang as I was told that hospital might have a big backlog. I explained to the lady on the phone that I would be into my 16th week by the time of my first appointment and would like to bring it forward if it is possible. The lady checked and was able to bring my appoinment forward by two weeks. I am quite pleased with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

... feels weird posting in this thread.

Yesterday I was 8 dpo, it was the first cycle that we actually hit the right fertile time. I was feeling utterly wrecked in spite of having a lovely night's sleep and drinking plenty of fluids. It was as if I had been up three nights running.

So I went home and went to bed for a few hours and thought to myself, maybe I'll do a test, say nothing to himself (We're going away at the weekend so won't be able to test then). So I got up and did one, not expecting anything, so I set about cleaning up and getting dressed etc. Picked up the test after about 6 minutes and there it was a little line.

"I'm not supposed to read the test after 5 minutes" says I. So I do another. After 2 minutes the little faint line appeared.

"Husband! Come in here a sec."

Yep he could see it too, but wouldn't accept it, said it was a placeholder where the line would appear, in spite of me doing tests for the past 4 months and nothing of the like appearing. :) So I told him if the line is stronger in the morning will he accept it as positive. "Yep" says he.

Did two tests this morning, and there was the line, even clearer and nicer than the day before. So obviously I had to wake him up and do the "I told ya so" dance. ;)

I'm still not counting my chickens, it's really really early days.

It hasn't sunk in either!

Thank heavens for the webternet, allowing me to tell someone!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

... feels weird posting in this thread.

Yesterday I was 8 dpo, it was the first cycle that we actually hit the right fertile time. I was feeling utterly wrecked in spite of having a lovely night's sleep and drinking plenty of fluids. It was as if I had been up three nights running.

So I went home and went to bed for a few hours and thought to myself, maybe I'll do a test, say nothing to himself (We're going away at the weekend so won't be able to test then). So I got up and did one, not expecting anything, so I set about cleaning up and getting dressed etc. Picked up the test after about 6 minutes and there it was a little line.

"I'm not supposed to read the test after 5 minutes" says I. So I do another. After 2 minutes the little faint line appeared.

"Husband! Come in here a sec."

Yep he could see it too, but wouldn't accept it, said it was a placeholder where the line would appear, in spite of me doing tests for the past 4 months and nothing of the like appearing. :) So I told him if the line is stronger in the morning will he accept it as positive. "Yep" says he.

Did two tests this morning, and there was the line, even clearer and nicer than the day before. So obviously I had to wake him up and do the "I told ya so" dance. ;)

I'm still not counting my chickens, it's really really early days.

It hasn't sunk in either!

Thank heavens for the webternet, allowing me to tell someone!

:D

Congratulations, Its a start and it will go ok. Well done! I remember being there. Its one of the best feelings ever :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Thanks Joey!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

Getting a little nervous here, have been having pains, slowly getting worse, every three and a half minutes for most of the night. Though it´ll probably all stop again sometime for no reason. It doesn´t seem to be following the textbooks though, so i´m still considering all options on how to react.

hopefully it´ll all become clear soon enough. Wish me luck anyone who reads this, please.

Popel xx

Popel wrote: »
    Getting a little nervous here, have been having pains, slowly getting worse, every three and a half minutes for most of the night. Though it´ll probably all stop again sometime for no reason. It doesn´t seem to be following the textbooks though, so i´m still considering all options on how to react.

hopefully it´ll all become clear soon enough. Wish me luck anyone who reads this, please. Popel

Best of luck :) It will all be over before you know it and you'll have your babs in your arms!
    Try and hold out going to the hospital for as long as possible. There's much more comfort at home, although it's nerve wrecking having pains and not being sure if you should stay or go!
    I don't think any pregnancy or labour ever follow's the textbook so go with your instincts..
    Best of luck again and see you on the parenting forum very soon :D

Hope it all went well for you Popel!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What a horrible feeling this is. I came home from work this evening and the girlfriend was complaining of pains in her stomach and up into her back. She had a look online and took the advice she found and rang the hospital. They told her to come in straight away, ive just left her there not knowing what is going on. All either of us know is they are monitoring her heartbeat and the babies due to the pains she was suffering.

Could anyone shed any light on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

How far along is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 NiamhEile

It could be Braxton Hicks contractions??? Which are fairly normal during pregnancy. They are like practice contractions for the real thing. The belly kind of seizes up and then relaxes after a while. I got some really bad ones one time during my pregnancy and went to the hospital and it was all fine, so I hope this is all it is, or something equally unworrying. Let us know how she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm back...not allowed to tell family but have to squeel...scared, really scared as I hope the baby is OK and am scared of loosing yet another baby...have been crying half the morning so far I am so nervous...already attached to the little thing, I can't help it.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I'm back...not allowed to tell family but have to squeel...scared, really scared as I hope the baby is OK and am scared of loosing yet another baby...have been crying half the morning so far I am so nervous...already attached to the little thing, I can't help it.

Congrat's cathy :D
    Can i ask, what is a chemical pregnancy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

lalalulu wrote: »
    Congrat's cathy :D
    Can i ask, what is a chemical pregnancy?
    That is where you have a positive pregnancy test but the baby does not take and a few days later you have your period...am only 3 days late :( I did have a positive pregnancy test though. Thanks for the good wishes.

Advertisement