Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I was like that can't wait for baby to get here and a month on from giving birth I miss my bump I loved having him all to myself all the quality time of his moods and what I ate or drank set him off. It's weird how your so set for it to be all done and then you wanna do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

Seems like you'd get more quality time with the baby on the outside though, no? It does seem strange though, the thought of not having it with me all the time, I'm so used to having it in there now and feeling every little movement or hiccup, I can see people having some sort of separation anxiety once it's out and sort of missing it in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I missed the kicks after my son was born, literally within hours I missed them.

But it is great to do something like pick up a tea towel that fell to the floor and not have to take a minimum of 15 seconds to get down and up :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

For nearly a year after the birth I could still feel phantom kicks. Freaky!

I have to say I did not miss being pregnant one tiny bit. The only thing is that they a lot harder to look after when they're not hooked up to your blood supply! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

+1 Das Kitty!

• Advertisement

So would you prefer it if the baby were still inside? :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So would you prefer it if the baby were still inside? :pac:

Jaysus no. I am not a fan of pregnancy at all.

Yeah for a week after I had phantom kicks thought I was loosing it. It's defo easier when there inside as for been closer on the outside no everyone wants to take him for a night which I'm no way ready for and make me feel bad when I say no and act like I'm possessive but he's only 4 weeks tomorrow! Too soon too fast time does fly by though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Jaysus no. I am not a fan of pregnancy at all.

I also am not a big fan of pregnancy. Looking forward to the baby being here but I can see how you would feel safer with the baby inside you!

I always said I'd be a surrogate for a friend if she really needed it. We had a girls weekend away last weekend and I said that to the girls and they all started laughing, we all agreed there's women out there who are better at pregnancy than me and might be a better choice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Yeah for a week after I had phantom kicks thought I was loosing it. It's defo easier when there inside as for been closer on the outside no everyone wants to take him for a night which I'm no way ready for and make me feel bad when I say no and act like I'm possessive but he's only 4 weeks tomorrow! Too soon too fast time does fly by though

Oh I found it so hard to let anyone other than my hubbie or mother hold her for the first few weeks!!!! Don't let ppl push you! That's why I loved breast feeding actually - I got to snatch her back and she was still reliant on me.... I have issues I know...lol!! After a few more weeks you feel more ready and willin to let others do more - I think that's natures way of protecting ur little ones - we have that instinct to protect them and want them! Nothing wrong with it!! Yu do though have to watch out a little tho as if it is too overwhelming a feeling it can be an indicator of postnatal - as in if it goes on for weeks and you can't let go of any control, I think it's reasonable to want it for a while tho! They are so vulnerable and the most precious little things that you just spent 40+ weeks growing!!!

Ill miss this bump even tho she has already essentially outstayed her welcome ;)
    I know now that if she hasn't arrived by tue e doc is evicting her so I'm gonna spend some quality time lying on my side enjoying the last of the kick fests!!

In a way it's weird tho cos you go from being 41 weeks (in my case!!) when they feel so big and strong to giving birth - my first daughter was only 6lbs 5 - and your right back to square one when they a tiny again!!

Doctor said this lady is looking like 7&1/2 lbs now which is smaller than I would have thought cos she's cooked for 2 weeks longer than her older sister! She feels about 9lbs!! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Das Kitty wrote: »
    This morning I remembered that just after my little boy was born I thought having him was the biggest mistake of my life. Obviously I got over that and feel the exact opposite now, but it lasted a good 6 weeks.

Why am I doing this a second time, again?!

//minor freak out.

You are allowed a bad day or two. :) Anytime you need to chat, you know where I am.
    wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I'll never forget, I repeated it over and over, it was the hormones. But still, at the time rational is not great. Several women didn't know that though.

Even when I knew it was the hormones I still freaked out, thinking it was more than that. And I suspect that it was a little because it lasted weeks, not days. I felt totally disconnected to the baby. I mean, I was fiercely protective of him and woke up with every snuffle, and proud as punch, but I didnt feel overwhelmed with love or something - its hard to explain. It felt like it was someone elses child I was minding.

I was lucky that breastfeeding came easily to both of us, I think it helped me bond with him and get me back on track quicker than I might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

just posted this in november thread. just wondering if anyone here had spotting after 12 weeks.

hi all. had some bright red spotting and then brown spotting today so i rang early pregnancy unit and had a scan.they were great. they said all was fine and baby is growing. its brill news but im just so nervous now. im 13 weeks tomorrow and thought the spotting might be behind me. i dont care if i get spotting as long as i know all is fine. still have morning sickness too. just half afraid to go to the loo now again! it was great to see baby again even if it was very quiet and only hiccuping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

just posted this in november thread. just wondering if anyone here had spotting after 12 weeks.

hi all. had some bright red spotting and then brown spotting today so i rang early pregnancy unit and had a scan.they were great. they said all was fine and baby is growing. its brill news but im just so nervous now. im 13 weeks tomorrow and thought the spotting might be behind me. i dont care if i get spotting as long as i know all is fine. still have morning sickness too. just half afraid to go to the loo now again! it was great to see baby again even if it was very quiet and only hiccuping!

Try not to worry, some women have spotting throughout their pregnancy, it's not at all uncommon.
    If ever you're worried check in with your GP or mat hosp to put your mind at rest :)

A friend of mine had bleeding each month she was pregnant.. But if your alarmed ring out of hours or the hospital

I had spotting early on in the pregnancy, up til about 25 weeks. I found that if I put my feet up and rested for a while, it went away. If it's brown, don't worry too much about it. If it's red, relax for a while and if it doesn't go away within a few hours, call your gp.

I had spotting early on in the pregnancy, up til about 25 weeks. I found that if I put my feet up and rested for a while, it went away. If it's brown, don't worry too much about it. If it's red, relax for a while and if it doesn't go away within a few hours, call your gp.

thanks very much for that. thats exactly what i was wanting to hear, from someone with experience. i was thinking the same myself but ya never know. obviously if its alot and was constantly coming id be gone immediately.thanks!!!

Had scan today and they said all was good and no problem going on the flight to new york on friday. im delighted all is ok but still nervous in case it returns. cant wait to be in new york as i might relax a bit more then. i will have a doc lined up just in case. and ill be taking it easy while ensuring to get in some shopping!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi. Just wondering what people are taking for heartburn. So far I just drink milk as it hasn't been too bad but for some reason today the pain has been unbearable. Anyone taking gaviscon or rennies? Think I'm gonna get some but I know for some reason chemists don't like giving anything to pregnant women so maybe I should send OH for me! Any tips greatly appreciated. Really thought the heartburn subsided when baby dropped but obviously not in my case!!

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering what people are taking for heartburn. So far I just drink milk as it hasn't been too bad but for some reason today the pain has been unbearable. Anyone taking gaviscon or rennies? Think I'm gonna get some but I know for some reason chemists don't like giving anything to pregnant women so maybe I should send OH for me! Any tips greatly appreciated. Really thought the heartburn subsided when baby dropped but obviously not in my case!!

I take Rennie which helps, can't stomach gaviscon. I also eat lots of rice pudding (homemade and ambrosia) and that helps loads too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cant26 wrote: »

Gaviscon is free on the NHS in the UK for pregnancy- and they've launched a few new flavours- so you're stuck with the awful mint ones anymore. The strawberry ones are particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I took orange rennies on my recent pregnancy and found them fantastic. They kept the heartburn and reflux at bay and were far more palatable than gaviscon which I hate. I used to gag on the stuff.

• Advertisement

hi all just wondering on ur second ( or first or third!) pregnancies did ye have a pain under the waist line and above the pubic area (sorry tmi!) going across from one side to the other. its the first bit where the rounding starts. ive had it pretty much all the time, ive had scan which said all was ok. im thinking baby is comfy in that area and wont move up. i should add im only 14 weeks.;) just curious really. i have ibs so could be related to that but im thinking muscle as when i do deep breathing it kinda eases for that time. its actually not bad now. i also think i hold in my stomach not meaning to!!!

hi all just wondering on ur second ( or first or third!) pregnancies did ye have a pain under the waist line and above the pubic area (sorry tmi!) going across from one side to the other. its the first bit where the rounding starts. ive had it pretty much all the time, ive had scan which said all was ok. im thinking baby is comfy in that area and wont move up. i should add im only 14 weeks.;) just curious really. i have ibs so could be related to that but im thinking muscle as when i do deep breathing it kinda eases for that time. its actually not bad now. i also think i hold in my stomach not meaning to!!!

I had that kind if pain for a week when I was about 19 weeks pregnant. A pain all across the public line below my little bump. I went to GP and he said bed rest for a week. It went away then. He checked in case it was appendicitis or something like that so it might be worth getting GP to check if you 're worried

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cute6guru

Dont know what to do. Im going private and Im 27wks has dawned on me last few days if I needed to go into hospital or see my gyny out of hours what do you do? Thankfully I havent needed to but just as to know. Do I call the maternity unit and does she meet me there etc or what? Anyone have any clue? x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

What happens after you send your maternity benefit form in? How long til you hear back from them, or do you hear back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Heya,

I'm having a bath tomorrow as a treat. My back is in bits as I'm using crutches because of hip pains.....

Have any of ye had baths for backpains or do you use heat packs?

I have a hot water bottle on it at the minute but looking forward to my bath. Obviously it won't be too hot but just wondering what are your thoughts. Should I just stick to hot water bottle? I'm 21+4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Does anyone know what the story is with getting fillings done when pregnant? I need one in one of my back teeth, and it's giving me quite a bit of pain the last couple of weeks. I'm just over ten weeks now, so I'll try to hold out til twelve weeks at least, as I heard the anaesthetic can be a problem?

I'm also worried because brushing my teeth makes me retch almost every time ... Not sure how I'll handle a dentist poking around. I'll probably puke all over the poor guy. :o

Heya,

I'm having a bath tomorrow as a treat. My back is in bits as I'm using crutches because of hip pains.....

Have any of ye had baths for backpains or do you use heat packs?

I have a hot water bottle on it at the minute but looking forward to my bath. Obviously it won't be too hot but just wondering what are your thoughts. Should I just stick to hot water bottle? I'm 21+4

I have a bath almost every night. Up until the beginning of my third trimester I had them not too hot but now I have them fairly hot. I just needthe relief. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have one - all the books recommend baths to ease discomfort. Sure, a hot water bottle is putting more heat on your back then a bath would but imo, isn't as nice!

Also, with regards to dental work Ihad three fillings done when I was about 22/23 weeks pregnant. I had hyperemesis and all the puking and not eating caused me lots of problems with my teeth. The baby was leeching all the minerals from there so it's really worth taking care if your teeth while pregnant.

I had the local anaesthetic twice and dentist said there was no problem with getting it. The first time I got the injection I had a bit of a funny reaction - my heart started beating really fast but it only lasted 20 seconds or so. Dentist said it wasn't related to pregnancy, some people just have a reaction sometimes to that particular anaesthetic. I wouldn't have been able to get any work done before about 22 weeks though because I was vomiting until about 21/22 weeks so you might want to wait a couple of weeks until your nausea has lifted.

Also, interestingly the dentist told me if pregnancy causes you problems with your teeth it 's more likely it's a boy (old wives tale I think!) but I am having a boy so it might work :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I have a bath almost every night. Up until the beginning of my third trimester I had them not too hot but now I have them fairly hot. I just needthe relief. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have one - all the books recommend baths to ease discomfort. Sure, a hot water bottle is putting more heat on your back then a bath would but imo, isn't as nice!

Also, with regards to dental work Ihad three fillings done when I was about 22/23 weeks pregnant. I had hyperemesis and all the puking and not eating caused me lots of problems with my teeth. The baby was leeching all the minerals from there so it's really worth taking care if your teeth while pregnant.

I had the local anaesthetic twice and dentist said there was no problem with getting it. The first time I got the injection I had a bit of a funny reaction - my heart started beating really fast but it only lasted 20 seconds or so. Dentist said it wasn't related to pregnancy, some people just have a reaction sometimes to that particular anaesthetic. I wouldn't have been able to get any work done before about 22 weeks though because I was vomiting until about 21/22 weeks so you might want to wait a couple of weeks until your nausea has lifted.

Also, interestingly the dentist told me if pregnancy causes you problems with your teeth it 's more likely it's a boy (old wives tale I think!) but I am having a boy so it might work :)

Thanks Murdy. I always would have had a hot bath so im scared il judge it wrong. I have a bath thermometer ( it was free in a pack) so im going to try that!!

Thanks Murdy. I always would have had a hot bath so im scared il judge it wrong. I have a bath thermometer ( it was free in a pack) so im going to try that!!

Good idea! I found it hard at first because I'd also be used to very hot baths but what I did was not put the water on for too long so I couldn't get the bath super hot!

Enjoy your bath anyway :)

Also, have you tried a gym ball for the back pain? The physio at our antenatal classes recommended it and it really helped me.

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Good idea! I found it hard at first because I'd also be used to very hot baths but what I did was not put the water on for too long so I couldn't get the bath super hot!

Enjoy your bath anyway :)

Also, have you tried a gym ball for the back pain? The physio at our antenatal classes recommended it and it really helped me.

Yeah! Have one downstairs, and im doing swimming. I have physio thursday too so hopefully the pain wont be as bad! I cant walk straight at the minute ;(
    Thanks again xx hope the last few weeks arent dragging for you !!

Advertisement