Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Does anyone else get baby brain? I'm brutal at the moment, much to the hilarity of Mr. Merkin! Took the house phone out shopping with me on Saturday, left the deep freeze open overnight recently and am more forgetful than ever! :o

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lu_91 wrote: »
    and if its negative again.. why am i so late.. can u just skip a period?

Yes, there are a few reasons why you might skip, best chat to your GP. They can do a blood test to rule out some reasons. No harm to get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can anyone recommend a maternity hospital.....?
    My friends went to the Combe and didn't have the best experience x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Niamhvie wrote: »

I've been to the Coombe and the Rotunda, had a bad experience in Rotunda first time round and changed to Coombe on second had a great experience there. Third, I wasn't registered anywhere so went to Rotunda and had a good experience. Fourth I'm back at the Coombe, having a great experience but am changing to the Rotunda in January as it's just that tiny bit more convenient to where I'm living and I also don't like the fact that the Coombe ask the fathers to leave twice a day for 'rest times' while they can stay all day in the Rotunda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I think no matter which hospital you pick you'll hear of bad experiences - I went to Holles St, I had a great experience, everyone I met was courteous, professional, compassionate and knowledgeable, both my antenatal care and my sons birth (which was an emergency c section under GA) were second to none. I wouldn't go elsewhere. However, I have friends who say they had terrible experiences there and wouldn't darken their door.

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »
    I think no matter which hospital you pick you'll hear of bad experiences - I went to Holles St, I had a great experience, everyone I met was courteous, professional, compassionate and knowledgeable, both my antenatal care and my sons birth (which was an emergency c section under GA) were second to none. I wouldn't go elsewhere. However, I have friends who say they had terrible experiences there and wouldn't darken their door.

I've heard horror stories from nearly every hospital in Ireland at this stage, it totally depends on each individual person and their expectations (mostly, sometimes the hospitals do royally f*ck up).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Niamhvie wrote: »

I am attending holles street and so far so good! No complaints, but not due till January :) all the midwives I have met are soooo nice and real down to earth. I was a bit worried about the lack of dignity everyone keeps telling me about during labour and I have to say the midwives there have really put me at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Millem wrote: »
    I am attending holles street and so far so good! No complaints, but not due till January :) all the midwives I have met are soooo nice and real down to earth. I was a bit worried about the lack of dignity everyone keeps telling me about during labour and I have to say the midwives there have really put me at ease!

The midwives I met in labour were fantastic, and when I had to be rushed off for a section it was so quick and seamless - from the team being notified to baby out took just 8 minutes!!! You're in good hands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Do taxis take pregnant women, when they're in labour? Or how likely is it that they'd refuse? I'll have no lift to the hospital, so that's my only option really, when the time comes. I'm 37 weeks now, so could happen any time.

I'm a good bit away from the hospital, taxi could be up to €30. Plus potentially "soilage charges", I guess. :o Will have towels and bags ready, just in case!

The only other option really (depending on when it happens) is the train - my house is very close to the train station, and so is the hospital on the other side - am I totally kidding myself thinking I'd be able to get the train while in labour? :o It's about a half hour trip.

If all else fails, and I can't get a taxi to take me, would I be able to request an ambulance? Would definitely be a last resort, I'm thinking e.g. if it happened on Christmas Day or something. And how would you do that, would you just ring your hospital and they'd arrange it ...?

It would be kind of handy if I went into labour while at work, at least the office is right beside the hospital! :D

You should have plenty of time to organise a taxi to the hospital, I wouldn't worry, better than a train, a bit more private, Maybe have one or two of those disposable bed sheets (Pampers do them for night training) ready by the door too if you think your waters will break. Unless there's an emergency I wouldn't ring an ambulance, you ring 112 to organise one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do taxis take pregnant women, when they're in labour? Or how likely is it that they'd refuse? I'll have no lift to the hospital, so that's my only option really, when the time comes. I'm 37 weeks now, so could happen any time.

I'm a good bit away from the hospital, taxi could be up to €30. Plus potentially "soilage charges", I guess. :o Will have towels and bags ready, just in case!

The only other option really (depending on when it happens) is the train - my house is very close to the train station, and so is the hospital on the other side - am I totally kidding myself thinking I'd be able to get the train while in labour? :o It's about a half hour trip.

If all else fails, and I can't get a taxi to take me, would I be able to request an ambulance? Would definitely be a last resort, I'm thinking e.g. if it happened on Christmas Day or something. And how would you do that, would you just ring your hospital and they'd arrange it ...?

It would be kind of handy if I went into labour while at work, at least the office is right beside the hospital! :D

Phone the taxi company in advance and ask. My friend's husband broke his leg and couldn't drive the day she went into labour. She called 4 taxi companies, and none would take her. They said they weren't 'insured' to carry women in labour. Which sounds like a complete cop-out to me. She ended up having to call an ambulance.

But I'd say with giving them some notice, you might get a more reasonable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Do you have a friend or neighbour or workmate who you could ask to be on standby hon?

Holles street told us to get a taxi at ante natal classes! Didn't think it would be a problem! They said parking is too stressful and getting change is such an issue supposedly no shops in area will give you change for parking! They said only drive if after 7pm and before 7am or on a Saturday night! Parking free from 7pm-7am and free all Sunday! You can sign up to some parking and text thingy! They didn't mention anything about soiling as they want us to stay at home until 3cm if possible! So maybe the soiling would only be a problem if you go in taxi early? I don't really have a clue to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I've an anti natal appt in Hollis street tomorrow, I'm with the domino scheme and normally am out in a satellite center...does anyone know where in hollis street they hold their appts. Completely forgot to ask when booking.

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    I've an anti natal appt in Hollis street tomorrow, I'm with the domino scheme and normally am out in a satellite center...does anyone know where in hollis street they hold their appts. Completely forgot to ask when booking.

Go in the entrance, go left down to the end of the corridor, and then turn right (down the ramp.)

Does anyone know what the Holles St policy is as regards sweeps, or does it depend on the consultant?

And would ye recommend getting one, or wait and see if things start off naturally?

I'll be 40 weeks at my appointment this week, so want to be prepared just in case he suggests it!

Not sure of Holles St policy but whether you get one or not is entirely up to you, nobody can recommend whether to wait it out or not. What I suggest doing is asking if you are favourable (this lends itself to an internal exam to check) and if you are decide then if you want it. A lot of people don't want sweeps because they don't want to have an internal before they go into labour.

On my second I was offered a sweep at 39 weeks and when he checked I wasn't favourable so he said there was no point in trying it as it most likely wouldn't work, I gave birth at 40+1 so it didn't take too long to become favourable!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Does anyone know what the Holles St policy is as regards sweeps, or does it depend on the consultant?

And would ye recommend getting one, or wait and see if things start off naturally?

I'll be 40 weeks at my appointment this week, so want to be prepared just in case he suggests it!

I had an appointment today in holles st, im 40 weeks on Thursday, doc didnt mention anything bout a sweep, just told me to come back next Tuesday and they will see how I am and take it from there. No harm asking if thats what you want tho.

Stupid question - I assume your cervix won't be favourable until the head is engaged? So if the head isn't engaged yet, there'd be no point in getting the internal or sweep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I don't know there policy either but I was just coming up to the 40 week mark at my appt there on Friday and he said nowt about anything. I didn't ask either though as I knew I didn't want a sweep or even an internal at that point.

As far as I know you can go 10/12 days over before it becomes an issue. As January if said you can ask for an internal and see where you're at.

I'm suppose to have another appt at the end of this week but haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

• Advertisement

Stupid question - I assume your cervix won't be favourable until the head is engaged? So if the head isn't engaged yet, there'd be no point in getting the internal or sweep?

I'm not quite sure if your baby has to be engaged to be favourable, I'm supposing the pressure baby puts on cervix helps thin it out and make it more favourable for labour, although like I said I've no professional experience of this.

I don't know anything about sweeps but we were told holles street let you go 14 days over which is the longest of any of the hospitals but they scan you up in fetal assessment a few days after the 40 week mark to make sure placenta is still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

The head doesnt have to be engaged. When i was having my daughter i had a sweep at 40+4 and the head didnt engage until after my waters had gone. (Ps not holles street)

On the one hand, I don't want to rush things - I feel like, if he's not ready, I should let him stay there until it happens naturally ... on the other hand, I'm constantly worried if he's OK, just can't wait to be able to see him! :o Sure I'll wait and see what the doctor thinks on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hmmmm.... number 5 ??? will post on sunday ...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :pac:

:eek: HURRY UP SUNDAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Wouldn't you think i'd have sense by now??? I'm 99% sure but just have to do the test.. have to wait til my partner get home from visiting his 4 kids... his 4 my 4.. 1 more.. :cool: (bigger car needed??) All 8 kids int he house for the weekend after Christmas.. lots to catch up on,.. will wait for sunday :D:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well that took me by surprise, as January said, roll on Sunday. I'm absolutely dying to know!!!! :D :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

cbyrd wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think i'd have sense by now??? I'm 99% sure but just have to do the test.. have to wait til my partner get home from visiting his 4 kids... his 4 my 4.. 1 more.. :cool: (bigger car needed??) All 8 kids int he house for the weekend after Christmas.. lots to catch up on,.. will wait for sunday :D:D:P

9 kids!!!
    You will need a bus:)
    I would say it was great fun having them all there together though.
    I can't wait to hear your news:)

• Advertisement

You'd think I had sense by now too but sure what can you do... babies are miracles :)

Ok... wake up and it's Sunday... hurry hurry hurry :D

Advertisement