Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I had my baby a week ago, and I'm absolutely wrecked from bleeding. :( It's exhausting! I even rang the hospital earlier because it was so bad, and the midwife said it doesn't sound like I'm bleeding excessively and it's normal for it to get a lot fresher and heavier because I've pretty much switched from bottle feeding to breast feeding. It's like the worst period ever.

How long does the bleeding last for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Can last from anything to 2-6 weeks... my longest was after my c section, bled for the full 6 weeks. It's worth looking into taking an iron supplement.

Really, for some reason I thought you wouldn't get it after a section!

I'm already taking a multivitamin with iron, will ask the nurse if I should take an iron supplement.

Six weeks of this ... :eek:

Really, for some reason I thought you wouldn't get it after a section!

I'm already taking a multivitamin with iron, will ask the nurse if I should take an iron supplement.

Six weeks of this ... :eek:

Yeah, naive me thought they'd suction it all out during the section... :rolleyes: Some luck!

As long as you don't over do it it should start to taper off in a week or so and become a lot lighter. I always found that if I tried to over exert myself it got heavier again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Congratulations Chatastrophe! Did you have a little boy or a little girl? Definitely talk to your midwife or nurse who will be able to advise you on the best course of action! Hope it sorts itself out soon xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I had my baby a week ago, and I'm absolutely wrecked from bleeding. :( It's exhausting! I even rang the hospital earlier because it was so bad, and the midwife said it doesn't sound like I'm bleeding excessively and it's normal for it to get a lot fresher and heavier because I've pretty much switched from bottle feeding to breast feeding. It's like the worst period ever.

How long does the bleeding last for?

Yep, six weeks for me but it did get progressively lighter.

The post partum blood loss was something I was totally unprepared for, I knew it would happen but I had no idea of the sheer volume.

If you're worried have a talk with midwife or GP and congratulations on your new baby!

Merkin I had a little boy, his name is William, he's just perfect. :)

Sittingpretty good to know I'm not the only one ... I mean, of course I knew there'd be bleeding afterwards, I just wasn't expecting so much or for so long!

Between maternity pads and boob pads, looks like I'll be keeping Boots in business for a while. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I think I got lucky after giving birth. I bottle fed as I'd to be knocked out after giving birth and was all over the place when I woke. Because of this I never needed breast pads they never leaked and only hurt for one night. As for bleeding I only had a week. 5 days of it was really really heavy like had to go bathroom every half hour to be sure. And when my period returned 6 weeks after birth it was heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I was totally unprepared for it too: and especially how much heavier it got while I was feeding: I bled for 6 weeks but it did get lighter. Really not looking forward to it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Hi guys!

Anyone here attending Wexford as a public patient? If so, I have two questions!

What is the story with Ante-natal classes? At what stage of pregnancy do they take place, how do we find out about them etc.

Also I have my appointments for thr clinic at 20 weeks - how do we find out about further appointments? At each clinic are we given the date for the next or do we have to wait to get another letter in the post.....

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Are you guys going public or private? I have insurance but GP said I'd still have E2000 shortfall approx. She was v positive about the public system saying the main advantage of private is consistent consultant and chance of private room, which may not be available at the time. And the shared care (GP& hospital) happens whether you go public or private. Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I'm going private but it's only because of my age, it's my first and I'm carrying a pretty bad leg injury so comfort all the way for me. I've only ever been told that the care you receive is equivocal no matter what choice you make so it really comes down to personal choice.

Great infographic on the devastating effect non-vaccination has had around the world. For such a seemingly intelligent species we can be beyond dumb sometimes.

Although I have insurance, I went public, and absolutely could not fault the care I received in Holles St before and during the birth. Honestly they're fantastic.

After the birth was another story. On the night my son was born, I was the eighth person placed on a six bed ward. Even the nurses apologised and said you wouldn't see it in a third world country. It meant that, the next morning, when some women were being checked down below for going home, my bed and other beds were in the way so curtains couldn't be pulled across - no privacy.

The overcrowding was especially an issue if, like me, you were kept in a few days after the birth. You would be amazed at new mothers chatting on the phone or watching TV all night. No consideration at all for the other mothers or babies there.

I'd probably consider private care if I was going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

At the start of 20 weeks and for the last week sleeping has been a complete pain in the bum. No matter which side I lie on or for how long my legs get really cramped and sore, not in a pin and needles way but like you've been sitting cramped in a car for 5 hours way but much more painful. Got a long pillow in Ikea yesterday which helped a bit but I'm still sleeping really badly. Pelvis also sore and just noticing people mention SPD so I think I'll say it to the midwife next week when I'm in to see what they'd recommend to ease things!

Although I have insurance, I went public, and absolutely could not fault the care I received in Holles St before and during the birth. Honestly they're fantastic.

After the birth was another story. On the night my son was born, I was the eighth person placed on a six bed ward. Even the nurses apologised and said you wouldn't see it in a third world country. It meant that, the next morning, when some women were being checked down below for going home, my bed and other beds were in the way so curtains couldn't be pulled across - no privacy.

The overcrowding was especially an issue if, like me, you were kept in a few days after the birth. You would be amazed at new mothers chatting on the phone or watching TV all night. No consideration at all for the other mothers or babies there.

I'd probably consider private care if I was going again.
    eek.pngeek.pngeek.png Oh my God! I really, really hope this is an exception!! I've decided to go public as there is no guarentee of a private bed anyway (fingers and toes crossed)

73trix wrote: »
    eek.pngeek.pngeek.png Oh my God! I really, really hope this is an exception!! I've decided to go public as there is no guarentee of a private bed anyway (fingers and toes crossed)

I've heard since that Holles St was just exceptionally busy the weekend I was there, two weeks ago. :) So I was probably just unlucky!

I've heard since that Holles St was just exceptionally busy the weekend I was there, two weeks ago. :) So I was probably just unlucky!

Thanks for that! That was a nightmare scenario by all accounts. And I'm not in Dublin so hopefully not as busy....

I'm hoping it will be a bit of support at least. 5 bed wards. First pregnancy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I think we were in around the same time Chatt, I was on an improvised 8 bed ward too and it was hell. I know one of the added women was actually semi private but there was no room for her up there so she was sent to public. It seemed to be mayhem for around that time, I know I was 11 days over but the midwife told me they had a lot of earlys in giving birth.

I know the pre labor unit was insane, 16 beds of 16 women in early labor, I lost all focus just listening to the other women. I heard afterwards that one actually turned out to be a late miscarriage and it nearly broke my heart to think of that poor woman stuck there listening to everyone else going off to the delivery ward.

I was so glad to be on the domino scheme so that I didn't have to stick around. If I ever have another child I will be giving serious consideration to a home birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahv

I went semi private 3 times. I thought it was great. I was in a public ward for a few hours after baby no 2 but then moved to semi private room. It was so quiet in the semi private room in comparison to the public. The other 2 times I got a semi private room straight away. I had 3 sections though so semi private was good for me, I knew I would be in for a few days and needed help at the start.
    I was in the Rotunda. A friend of mine went semi private in Holles Street. after visiting me she decided to go semi private in Rotunda for baby no. 2. She found the semi privare part of the Rotunda far better than Holles street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

sarahv wrote: »
    I went semi private 3 times. I thought it was great. I was in a public ward for a few hours after baby no 2 but then moved to semi private room. It was so quiet in the semi private room in comparison to the public. The other 2 times I got a semi private room straight away. I had 3 sections though so semi private was good for me, I knew I would be in for a few days and needed help at the start

My 2 were public c-sections. With no1 I was in a 9 bed ward, with no2 I was in a 6 bed. And both times, the staff were great. You have no doubt some benefits to private/semiprivate care, but they have great overall care. Often I think you are better in a big ward as the nurses are in their more because there are more moms and babies to care for.

What were the waiting times like to see doctors/midwives in the antenatal clinics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Same thing happened to me in Holles st. On my first night, about 4am, I begged the midwife to take me up to NICU to see him (I'd had a section under GA and only got to hold him for five mins before he was taken away to NICU, I was out of it on morphine and only felt well enough at 4am to get out of bed!) On the way out the door of the ward (I was in a wheelchair) there were two women on trolleys waiting outside the room. An hour or so later when I came back, my cubicle seemed smaller. I was still really out if it, it was only the next morning I realised they had squashed in two extra beds (the women who'd been waiting outside the room!)
    It was really tight for space for a day or two. On the other hand though, on my last night, everyone was discharged except me and one other girl - we had a six bed ward to ourselves! Was great, we got chatting, and we were each able to watch the others baby while we went to the bathroom or whatever, and weren't awake all night with crying babies.

Although the postnatal situation might not be great, I wouldn't go anywhere else for antenatal care and birth management. My son got into difficulty, and I was knocked out and he was delivered in under ten minutes from when the midwife called for help. Then later, when he suffered a collapse, he was seen to by a team of doctors in seconds. Very shocking and traumatic for me & OH but undoubtedly saved his life twice in one evening. If that quality of care means I have to rough it for a few days on the ward then so be it. I am disappointed that there wasn't much one to one care available postnatally, I'm sure if there was I would have had a better shot at breastfeeding, but I'll know better next time.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure a load of our stuff got robbed while on the ward in Holles St. I had heard of this happening, but didn't really think it was a problem - I mean, really, who would DO that?

The day after we got home from hospital, I freaked out a bit at the boyfriend because I couldn't find any newborn size babygros and we had loads of them in the hospital. However I was guessing there was a bag full of laundry missing somewhere around the house.

I've just done a huge clear-out of all the laundry for the first time since getting home, and I am definitely missing several babygros, vests, hats, bibs etc that I'd had in the hospital. Also some of my own button-down pyjama tops. I'm guessing it was a bag of laundry that I'd put aside to give the boyfriend to bring home that "disappeared".

It's so not about the stuff being missing. It's wondering when it happened - the thoughts of some dirty thief sneaking in beside my little son when we were both asleep just horrifies me. More likely it happened when I had him out in the nursery changing his nappy, but you just don't know.

I actually feel sick at the thought that someone - especially another mother - would do that. I'd love to think that I somehow just mislaid the stuff myself, but I know that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

That's awful - I've heard of stuff like phones going walkies, but who'd nick a bag of baby clothes?!!! Gits.

Try not to let it ruin your first few weeks though. My OH always puts a positive spin on things; when we got burgled I was really upset about the buggy being taken, he said that some poor girl who's probably getting knocked about by her scumbag thieving boyfriend might now have a nice buggy for her child. Most likely not the case but I'm holding onto the thought that some poor soul is getting the use of it :) Maybe your baby clothes have gone a similar way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

cbyrd wrote: »
    So.. i was over in Drogheda today for a scan to make sure everything was okay, as in I didn't need a D&C.. everything looks clean and healthy but i was told to wait 2 months before trying again :pac: hahaha chance, I was actually told i was so lucky to have had 4 healthy pregnancies with no mis-carriages and get to the grand old age of 39.. doesnt make it feel much better but being back in the maternity hospital got me all excited again..(even with the vivid reminders of every labour pain i've ever had) :D in my mad house you'd think i'd be done, but i guess i'm not :D

Hi cbyrd,

Sorry to hear about the loss, hope you get everything you wish for. I think you and me have a little 2 year old O as far as I can remember if yours is half the monkey mine is, you'll sure be busy.

nice to see you around here again, but I have said my goodbyes to the maternity dept forever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Went for a routine visit to the midwife this morning and she surprised me by asking me if I wanted to hear bubba's heartbeat!! :D What an absolute treat! The little dote's heart was thumping away merrily and it's the most beautiful sound ever, I recorded it for hubby and played it to him in the car - he shed a tear! What a lovely thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Never would of thought of recording it for hubby x I geard my babies for thd 1st time yesterday and I shed a tear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Hi cbyrd,

Sorry to hear about the loss, hope you get everything you wish for. I think you and me have a little 2 year old O as far as I can remember if yours is half the monkey mine is, you'll sure be busy.

nice to see you around here again, but I have said my goodbyes to the maternity dept forever!!!

O is every mothers dream boy child and demon all wrapped up in the cutest face ever... am hoping for good results this month :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Gosh, I had heard stories about holles street before, but those are bed. Being robbed, and shoving 8 people into a ward for 6?

My friend gave birth there a few years ago and the woman in the bed next to her was handcuffed to the hospital bed. Released from prison to give birth, and headed straight back in afterwards.

I was hoping for a private room this time even though I am public. I thought march seemed fairly quiet in CUMH, but you never know. I got semi-private the last time (2 bed), which was ok... except I was in for ages with the stitches needing to be redone.... 6 days, so I saw three women come and go before I was let out.

I hate hate hate just being another pregnant woman in the cattle market that is public in the Rotunda.

Rule is, that when you've had a VBAC you need to have continuous CTG monitoring (trace) once you are in established labour. It severely restricts your movements and we all know movement is key in shuffling labour along nicely!

Spoke to the consultant today about it, didn't have it on my last because my labour went too fast once I was admitted to the delivery suite and I know that being able to move around contributed it to that. But no, I have to have continuous monitoring, no even explanation why, it's just the rule. End of. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

So much for doing a birth plan if they just tell you this is how it will be!

Advertisement