Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

So much for doing a birth plan if they just tell you this is how it will be!

I'm going to be writing out my birth preferences anyway and bringing it in the next time. I have five weeks, I'm going to do my research and go in armed with the facts. I'm not asking for much, just to be allowed to move about during labour as much as I want and for a natural third stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Can't blame you there. I find all decisions were taken from me with my sons birth. They didn't say what they were injecting me with and after I found out and I was really annoyed at that. This time I'll know better. I guess the first birth is a learning curve. Then again every birth is said to be different. I wasn't in thinkin stage when in labour because it happened so fast and I was told it would be long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Can't blame you there. I find all decisions were taken from me with my sons birth. They didn't say what they were injecting me with and after I found out and I was really annoyed at that. This time I'll know better. I guess the first birth is a learning curve. Then again every birth is said to be different. I wasn't in thinkin stage when in labour because it happened so fast and I was told it would be long.

I think I agreed too readily to being given oxytocin; I'm in no doubt that it contributed to or caused the crapfest that followed!

I was just given it no questions or that. Left nasty bruise too.

nikpmup wrote: »
    I think I agreed too readily to being given oxytocin; I'm in no doubt that it contributed to or caused the crapfest that followed!

I believe it played a huge part in my first birth also. I don't think I'd agree to it again, I'd rather head for c section early than have any of that distress for the baby and worry for us lark.

• Advertisement

I was just given it no questions or that. Left nasty bruise too.

Did you just have the oxytocin to manage the third stage of labour?

I only had an hour 40 mins of labour and didn't want anything they didn't say why they were given it I just got jabbed. Then when Jack arrived he wouldn't cry for them.

I only had an hour 40 mins of labour and didn't want anything they didn't say why they were given it I just got jabbed. Then when Jack arrived he wouldn't cry for them.

The shot of oxytocin at the end of labour (apparently given when the shoulder emerges) is for helping the placenta come out quicker.

I was given oxytocin to help along labour and I stalled at 3cms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

January wrote: »
    I'm going to be writing out my birth preferences anyway and bringing it in the next time. I have five weeks, I'm going to do my research and go in armed with the facts. I'm not asking for much, just to be allowed to move about during labour as much as I want and for a natural third stage.

There's a great closed VBAC group on Facebook, loads of support & information, might be worth taking a look & reading some of the women's stories of how they handled their caregivers demands.
    Good luck, I'll be in your shoes with my next so be interested to see how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

It's Holles St's policy to give oxytocin if your waters have broken and 2 hours later you haven't started to dilate. My waters broke at home at 11am, I didn't go into the hospital until after lunchtime, about 2.30pm (OH's mum is disabled and he had to make sure she was set up for the coming few days as he wasn't going to be around) To be fair to my midwife, she did give me a bit of time to walk around, but although my cervix was very thin and in the right position, and I was having regular contractions that were getting stronger, I hadn't started to dilate so I was put on an oxytocin drip. Within 30mins my contractions were on top of each other with no break and his heart rate was dropping with each one (and not coming up again as there was no gap in contractions) so it was off to theatre with me and a c section under GA.
    I'm firmly of the opinion that I could have progressed to dilating myself - everything else was going smoothly, my contractions were getting stronger and my cervix was thinning and moving into position. The oxytocin caused my contractions to ramp up so much that the poor lad couldn't cope with them. I'll be better informed and more firm with my wishes next time.

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    There's a great closed VBAC group on Facebook, loads of support & information, might be worth taking a look & reading some of the women's stories of how they handled their caregivers demands.
    Good luck, I'll be in your shoes with my next so be interested to see how you get on :)

I'm a member of that group already :)

I think I need to grow some balls like the ladies there and just tell them that that's the way I want it. Obviously I'm not going to put myself or the baby in danger and if at any point when listening in with a doppler there is distress I'll be whipped up to that trace as fast as I can but I just don't see the point when I could be moving around and progressing quickly without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Oxytocin... Feck that! I hope everybody knows they can refuse it! SS I find it really bad practice the staff did not inform you of what medication you were receiving along with the risks and side effects. Now I know it was all very rushed for you as you have said but it is your right to he fully informed as well as your right to refuse. I would find it hard to believe they gave you oxytocin if your labour was so quick tho... Perhaps you just received it for the delivery of the Placenta as January stated.

It's Holles St policy to give Oxytocin 2 hours from when you go in to labour if you haven't progressed beyond 4cm. again you can refuse this.

My waters broke at home and I went straight in as my contractions at this time were about 3 min apart. After 2 hours the midwife examined me and told me I was 4cm. In she came with the drip of oxytocin. Well I nearly ran her out of the room. Lol. I told her not to come near me with that stuff as I was 4cm dilated and progressing just fine! 2 hours later I was 10cm and baby was pushed out in 8 minutes.

Now obviously I was very lucky and sometimes I would fully agree that Oxytocin is very much needed for some labours and also to ensure a safe birth and a healthy baby. But I really do think it is given very willy nilly here in Ireland. I would take it if I needed it... Definitely. But I think every patient should be informed by their health professional and given consent to give the medication before it is given!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

It's sounds like we need to be as informed as possible.

I've a scan next Monday (34 weeks) and hopefully they'll confirm placenta has moved (was low before) - once that's done I'll be doing up my own birth plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey all, 21 weeks and for the past 2 weeks my hip and leg have been killing me at night. Only really flares up when I'm sleeping but I'm up at least once an hour with it and I feel like I'm going insane. I'm going to see a physio but the midwife said it can take up to 4 weeks for them to contact you so I can't really do much until then.

Just wanted to know if anyone had suffered and had any tips for sleeping? I keep a pillow between my legs now but it doesn't seem to make any difference, my leg feels cramped and sore regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

It's sounds like we need to be as informed as possible.

I've a scan next Monday (34 weeks) and hopefully they'll confirm placenta has moved (was low before) - once that's done I'll be doing up my own birth plan!

Don't worry my placenta was low also and had my 34 week check up and it was normal and I'm due now Thursday hopefully (fingers crossed) best of luck to ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Thats weird about the drip. When i was having my LO in mullingar my waters broke at home but no real contractions. I was 3cm when i went in to hospital on the sat morning. They waited 24hrs before starting me on the drip. I walked the stairs and corridors but no joy so started the drip the sun morning. LO was born sun evening no major problems. Heart rate was dropping towards the end but the min i heard forceps she was out.

Suucee wrote: »
    Thats weird about the drip. When i was having my LO in mullingar my waters broke at home but no real contractions. I was 3cm when i went in to hospital on the sat morning. They waited 24hrs before starting me on the drip. I walked the stairs and corridors but no joy so started the drip the sun morning. LO was born sun evening no major problems. Heart rate was dropping towards the end but the min i heard forceps she was out.

I think it depends what hospital you go to Suucee. Holles St is very much into "active management of labour". Not sure if its something I'm a massive fan of tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Hey All,

About the oxytocin - I was given oxytocin on the birth of my first child in Holles st as my labour wasn't progressing (stuck at 2cm for over 2 hours although I was walking up and down the corridors and bouncing on the ball). My baby didn't react very well to the oxytocin, his heart rate dropped with every contraction, I think at that point I was given more oxytocin to speed up labour even more as they had to get baby out very quickly.

All was well in the end, vaginal birth and no issues with the baby. But it was terrifying hearing the heart beat of the baby dropping constantly.

I am due my second baby in April in Holles st, can I refuse oxytocin? I know it's Holles st's protocol as part of their active management of labour. I don't mind being given oxytocin to help with the placenta as baby will be out at this stage.

Hey All,

About the oxytocin - I was given oxytocin on the birth of my first child in Holles st as my labour wasn't progressing (stuck at 2cm for over 2 hours although I was walking up and down the corridors and bouncing on the ball). My baby didn't react very well to the oxytocin, his heart rate dropped with every contraction, I think at that point I was given more oxytocin to speed up labour even more as they had to get baby out very quickly.

All was well in the end, vaginal birth and no issues with the baby. But it was terrifying hearing the heart beat of the baby dropping constantly.

I am due my second baby in April in Holles st, can I refuse oxytocin? I know it's Holles st's protocol as part of their active management of labour. I don't mind being given oxytocin to help with the placenta as baby will be out at this stage.

Hi, yes you can most definitely refuse oxytocin during labour! You have the right to refuse any medication you so chose. I was in holles st last year and refused it. A side effect of oxytocin is that it can cause foetal distress.

I would recommend you talk to your doctor and midwife about this. And make sure you are fully informed about the right to refuse but also about the benefits and also side effects of oxytocin. Remember, there are situations in which oxytocin will benefit you and baby during labour. Do your research and talk to your health professional before making may decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I had a similar experience to others above.

Arrived at Holles St with my waters broken (and with some meconium), contractions 4-5 minutes apart.

They gave me Oxytocin, and at the time I assumed it was because of ECG results. In fact looking at my notes only recently, the ECG I was initally given on arrival at the hospital was fine - the reason given for the Oxytocin was because my blood pressure was slightly high. The thing is my blood pressure is always up and down - it's been an issue long before I was pregnant - and only that morning at my consultant appointment, my blood pressure had been fine. I'd probably have been reluctant to accept the Oxytocin if I'd known blood pressure was the main reason for it. Because it had been so closely monitored, and while it was up and down, it wasn't really considered a problem.

Anyways the result was a really horrible rushed labour, with the baby in distress towards the end. Thankfully we avoided a section.

The main thing, obviously, is that he was born healthy. But my gut feeling is very much that my labour was progressing nicely. Despite the meconium in the waters, the test results (pre Oxytocin) were showing he was absolutely fine. I don't think I should have been given it.

But having said that, if the exact same thing happened again, would I refuse it? I'm just not sure. God, how could you ever live with yourself if you went against medical advice, and something awful happened? I mean at the end of the day, those staff do have the knowledge and experience - more than we could ever really have. No harm came to my baby. I certainly didn't have a pleasant labour experience - but I survived, no long-term damage done. And I was so very closely monitored throughout - at least I know that, if there was any real danger, I would have been whisked off for a section immediately. Not the ideal scenario, but at least I was confident throughout that the baby would come out OK in the end, one way or another!

Maybe in future pregnancies I'd have more confidence to put forward my wishes. I guess the meconium freaked me out a bit, and I was more willing to go with what they suggested. Even though, if I had trusted how I was feeling myself, I knew I was progressing fine. It all felt very healthy and natural and he was kicking away the whole time, so I wasn't worried. Would love to know how it might have turned out if I'd been allowed to progress at my own pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Hi all.
    My son is 11 weeks!

Just readin about the oxytocin. I can't believe that it seems to be standard to give it. I had my two kids in Wexford hospital and it wasn't even mentioned. They didn't try to intervene at all. They put the trace on and once it was fine took it off. My waters broke on my first in the morning and I walked around the hospital all day and had her that night with no intervention. I did get an injection afterwards to help with the placenta.

Sounds like they are giving oxytocin to hurry ppl along even if tiny don't need it!? I know it is needed in some cases though.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Thanks Sligo and Chattastrophe, I totally understand what you are saying. I'll talk to the midwife next week when I see her. I am so much more nervous about the birth this time around!

Sounds like they are giving oxytocin to hurry ppl along even if tiny don't need it!? I know it is needed in some cases though.

Yes your correct Red Fraggle. Some maternity hospitals would not be as quick to give Oxytocin as others. Holles Street is known for their "Active Management of Labour" policy. It really feels like a bit of a cattle mart tbh... Get them in and get them out mentality. I'm only familiar with the Dublin Hospitals really... And as far as I know, the Combe and Rotunda would not be as quick to use it... However, statistically speaking Holles St does have the lowest Caesarian Rate.

I've spoken with a few midwives from Holles Street and they would not necessarily agree with the AMIL policy for various reasons. Some do some dont I'm sure. It is all very medicalised tbh.

However, this is not a reason to refuse it. People need to do their research as in some cases oxytocin can be very important and useful.

For me personally, I knew my labour was progressing fine. I had some mec but this was no reason to take the drip as it was only very minimal. I wanted as natural a birth as possible (with pain relief....lol)... I just don't see the need for all the rush. Now this is my opinion. And I really have to emphasis in my case I knew my baby was fine and comfortable. He was not in distress and his heart rate was perfect. IMO if in any doubt let the professionals do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi All,

I'm a new one to this thread. I found out I was pregnant this day last week and am thoroughly delighted.
    Myself and my husband have decided not to tell anyone (other than those who must know - doctor, guy who runs my TRX class, etc) just yet which is fine. However, I would love to be able to check some things out with my big sister (she has 3 children) for advice and assurance on what is normal and to be expected. The baby is due on October 8th.

I've opted for semi private in the Coombe and sent off my booking form yesterday. How long does it take to hear back from them and get an appointment?
    Also the whole world seems to have a cold at the moment and I think I'm getting a little one too. Although this could be just a common symptom of pregnancy - feeling like your nose is stuffed all of the time? A slight sore throat? and the like.

It is quite astonishing to discover the amount of things I don't know. A week ago I knew a lot and now I seem to be bereft of all knowledge!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Also the whole world seems to have a cold at the moment and I think I'm getting a little one too. Although this could be just a common symptom of pregnancy - feeling like your nose is stuffed all of the time? A slight sore throat? and the like.

I got this when I was only about five weeks along and felt rotten Penny! It cleared though so don't worry. Just be really careful with self medicating as most things are totally forbidden at this stage. I used honey and glycerine for my sore throat and used olbas oil (on a tissue) and kept it on my bedroom dresser overnight (direct use of olbas oil is ill-advised). When this cleared up my midwife then gave me the flu jab as it's standard practice to do that there in the UK and thankfully I've had nothing since (bar nasal congestion which is common in pregnancy). The sniffles won't harm the baby in any way so don't be concerned, just keep wrapped up and toasty and as hydrated as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Merkin wrote: »
    I got this when I was only about five weeks along and felt rotten Penny! It cleared though so don't worry. Just be really careful with self medicating as most things are totally forbidden at this stage. I used honey and glycerine for my sore throat and used olbas oil (on a tissue) and kept it on my bedroom dresser overnight (direct use of olbas oil is ill-advised). When this cleared up my midwife then gave me the flu jab as it's standard practice to do that there in the UK and thankfully I've had nothing since (bar nasal congestion which is common in pregnancy). The sniffles won't harm the baby in any way so don't be concerned, just keep wrapped up and toasty and as hydrated as you can.

I'm 5 weeks and 2 days gone so I seem to be following you in this so. Strepsils seem to be ok. There are no warnings on the box to say that you can't use them and other sites I've checked on the web say they're ok too.
    My back is killing me too and I cannot believe how often I have to run to the loo! I thought (ha! in my naivete) that this kind of thing only happened at the end of your pregnancy when you had a big baby bump.

I'd love to be at home now but can't really be at that kind of thing already. Its the weekend though so its a few days of no work which is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'm 5 weeks and 2 days gone so I seem to be following you in this so. Strepsils seem to be ok. There are no warnings on the box to say that you can't use them and other sites I've checked on the web say they're ok too.
    My back is killing me too and I cannot believe how often I have to run to the loo! I thought (ha! in my naivete) that this kind of thing only happened at the end of your pregnancy when you had a big baby bump.

I'd love to be at home now but can't really be at that kind of thing already. Its the weekend though so its a few days of no work which is always good.

The running to the bathroom is unfortunately part and parcel of the first trimester. As for the strepsils, I was advised by a pharmacist that the orange pack(vit c I think) are fine. You can take paracetamol if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Penny I had the peeing like a racehorse in the first trimester too, and I still have the bunged up nose - it's a common thing in pregnancy. Congratulations on your pregnancy and that feeling when you realise that you have no idea what the flip is going on is quite normal :D There's quite a few of us on our first here and as I'm quickly realising, it's good to talk and there's no question or concern that's too small. Enjoy the forum and the journey ahead of you* :)

*there may be times when you're not enjoying it. That's 100% ok too :D

Just double check with your doc... the pharmacist wouldn't give me strepsils and told me to go to the doc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I told my friend this the other day, and she is still in absolute hysterics over it, so I thought I'd share it here. :)

At the height of labour, with no break between contractions, I asked could I go out to the loo. I remember the midwives looking at each other in exasperation, and saying no of course I couldn't, baby needed to be very closely monitored, I should do my business and they'd clear it up.

I didn't even need to go to the loo. What was in my head was that, if they'd just let me out of the room for a minute, I could - I don't know - actually jump out of the bathroom window, or something. :o Anything to end the pain!!!

Advertisement