Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I told my friend this the other day, and she is still in absolute hysterics over it, so I thought I'd share it here. :)

At the height of labour, with no break between contractions, I asked could I go out to the loo. I remember the midwives looking at each other in exasperation, and saying no of course I couldn't, baby needed to be very closely monitored, I should do my business and they'd clear it up.

I didn't even need to go to the loo. What was in my head was that, if they'd just let me out of the room for a minute, I could - I don't know - actually jump out of the bathroom window, or something. :o Anything to end the pain!!!

On my first when I asked to go to the toilet, just before I was to get the epidural, and they wheeled in a commode for me to use. Privacy wasn't paramount at that stage... I sat on the commode and proclaimed (while sucking on the gas and air) that I was Professor X from the Xmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

January wrote: »
    I sat on the commode and proclaimed (while sucking on the gas and air) that I was Professor X from the Xmen.

I want me some of that gas and air! :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

On my first when I asked to go to the toilet, just before I was to get the epidural, and they wheeled in a commode for me to use. Privacy wasn't paramount at that stage... I sat on the commode and proclaimed (while sucking on the gas and air) that I was Professor X from the Xmen.

I'm laughing out loud at this - I can totally see you doing that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Just double check with your doc... the pharmacist wouldn't give me strepsils and told me to go to the doc.

I went to the pharmacy at lunch time and spoke to the pharmacist. Strepsils (all kinds- they all have an anti bacterial action in them now apparently) are out, especially in the early stages.
    As advised by you lovely ladies here Halls Soothers, paracetamol and hot water bottles are on the cards.

I told my friend this the other day, and she is still in absolute hysterics over it, so I thought I'd share it here. :)

At the height of labour, with no break between contractions, I asked could I go out to the loo. I remember the midwives looking at each other in exasperation, and saying no of course I couldn't, baby needed to be very closely monitored, I should do my business and they'd clear it up.

I didn't even need to go to the loo. What was in my head was that, if they'd just let me out of the room for a minute, I could - I don't know - actually jump out of the bathroom window, or something. :o Anything to end the pain!!!

Like the room was the room of pain and outside of its walls you'd be fine.

I'm scared. Yikes:eek::o:)

• Advertisement

Oh and the Coombe thing, you should get an appointment in the post early next week.

Oh and the Coombe thing, you should get an appointment in the post early next week.

Thank you.

I've loved Boards for a long time. It has been a source of much laughter and amusement (thank you Professor Xavier;)), advice, help and general knowledge for many years. I even found my wedding photographer on the site but until know I have never been so grateful for the amount of shared wisdom, experience and reassurance.
    I've been peeing so much I think I've done away with my knowledge and cop on. In fact then I burst into tears - as though there wasn't enough liquid around the place:o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Oh that was pretty much it. It felt like, if I could just escape from that room, the labour would go on pause for an hour or so. :o I genuinely believed it at the time!

It passes, though. No matter how bad it is ... at least you know it's only going to go on for a certain amount of time, and then it'll all be over. And looking at my tiny baby boy, would I do it again, for him? Absolutely, in a heartbeat! He's worth everything. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I love it :D Aren't Commodes just the most undignified pieces of apparatus in a hospital? I had to use one for three days when I broke my leg last Sept. Mind you after I'd proposed to the A&E Dr. who put in my morphine drip and threatened to murder the poor paramedics who took away my gas during the bone realignment I didn't really have much pride left to lose.

The lovely female Doctor politely declined my offer of a big wedding unfortunately :pac:

Don't be. Our bodies are made to do this, we just don't consciously know it yet :)
    TI've been peeing so much I think I've done away with my knowledge and cop on. In fact then I burst into tears - as though there wasn't enough liquid around the place:o:D
    Welcome to the most emotional time of your life. You only burst into tears once?!! Sure you're only getting started :D Wait until tv ads start setting you off...

If anyone wants a cathartic cry, watch this :)

Oh god Jerrica, why would you do that to me?!

*weeps"

:o

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I should watch that...

I was right :eek:

Jerrica wrote: »
    I love it :D Aren't Commodes just the most undignified pieces of apparatus in a hospital? I had to use one for three days when I broke my leg last Sept. Mind you after I'd proposed to the A&E Dr. who put in my morphine drip and threatened to murder the poor paramedics who took away my gas during the bone realignment I didn't really have much pride left to lose.

The lovely female Doctor politely declined my offer of a big wedding unfortunately :pac:

Don't be. Our bodies are made to do this, we just don't consciously know it yet :)

Welcome to the most emotional time of your life. You only burst into tears once?!! Sure you're only getting started :D Wait until tv ads start setting you off...

If anyone wants a cathartic cry, watch this :)

I had only cried once (well ok twice) so far today and then I watched that:eek: It should come with a warning.
    Thankfully I have an office of my own and the door is firmly closed so I can hide my tears for a while and then I'll blame everything on my "cold".

Can't have them gossiping about me "is she or isn't she pregnant" just yet. Really hope I can hold out on that for as long as possible.

I was right :eek:

Having finally cleared mine (i.e. my tears) I was coming back to warn against or at least advise you to have tissues to hand!
    Too late though:)

Isn't it just gorgeous? I know it's a tv ad and marketing blah blah, but they have nailed the sentiments behind pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

2 of us crying here... Me cause well you know, and my 19 month old cause mummy crying and she's giving me little kisses which is making me worse!!

Jerrica wrote: »
    Isn't it just gorgeous? I know it's a tv ad and marketing blah blah, but they have nailed the sentiments behind pregnancy :)

It is really lovely. I want to ring my mother and just say thanks for absolutely everything. Long before I ever found out I was pregnant I always thought I was so lucky to get my parents. They are great, sure they have had their ups and downs and not everything they did was the right or perfect thing but they did bring us up to be good people and we all know that no matter what it is (and there have been enough things trust me!) it is never ever too bad to get their help and advice and support on. So many people don't have that and it makes me feel really lucky.
    I remember when my sister had her first baby she said it was only then that she had any concept of how much she was loved by our parents.
    I thought that was really sweet.................. now I'm holding back the tears AGAIN!

I need to go and watch something bland and boring on you tube to put a halt to this carry on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well damn it... thought I wouldn't cry
    Gotta avoid DH now

You'd need a heart of absolute stone not to cry at that. :o

Makes me cuddle my gorgeous little baba that little bit closer.

You'd need a heart of absolute stone not to cry at that. :o

To avoid the tears I watched a really old episode of Newlyweds on YouTube. The sight of a fully grown woman not knowing how to do her own laundry and sulking because she isn't allowed to hire a housekeeper to clean up after her (would take a team given the mess she makes) dries the tears RIGHT up.

As you were ladies:)

• Advertisement

It is really lovely. I want to ring my mother and just say thanks for absolutely everything. Long before I ever found out I was pregnant I always thought I was so lucky to get my parents. They are great, sure they have had their ups and downs and not everything they did was the right or perfect thing but they did bring us up to be good people and we all know that no matter what it is (and there have been enough things trust me!) it is never ever too bad to get their help and advice and support on. So many people don't have that and it makes me feel really lucky.
    I remember when my sister had her first baby she said it was only then that she had any concept of how much she was loved by our parents.
    I thought that was really sweet.................. now I'm holding back the tears AGAIN!

That's such a lovely thing to say about your parents Penny, they're as lucky to have you as your are them :)

My Mum and I have always been close (I was born on her birthday :D!!) but in the last year things were very strained between us, probably because we're so alike and when things are good they're great, but when they're bad.... oh boy.

But since finding out about the pregnancy it's brought our relationship to a whole new place and it's wonderful. I need her now more than ever and I think she's really quite enjoying that. It may change again once the baby arrives and I have to start putting his or her needs before everything else, but for now we're enjoying a lovely closeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Will have to take a look later. Cant watch it on phone for some reason. Prob better off since im just about to head out.

The real question is did it make any want to buy a boba wrap or carrier ;)

cyning wrote: »
    The real question is did it make any want to buy a boba wrap or carrier ;)

No. Actually it took me a while to realise that it was an advert.
    :o

I love my slings I lust over some of them and still didn't cop it ;)

Nah I'm a Mei Tai girl all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

OK the vid made me cry!

I just got my first sling in the post - a Kari me. Tried it on hubby as my bumps too big. Very excited to use it for real! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Awh its lovely. Want to go up and give me toddler a cuddle but shes spark out in bed.
    I didn't even realise it was an add tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I bought a little home foetal Doppler on Amazon and we had great fun with it today! Baby Merkin's little heartbeat was good and strong and the little thing was wriggling about in there too, such a lovely sound and so reassuring. Lovely too that hubby and I could listen to it together!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That is a beautiful ad.

Mum and I have always been close but I totally get her love now I'm a mother myself. And I feel ashamed for the times that I have snapped at her or rolled my eyes at something she said. I think I would shrivel up when my child does that to me in later years. :(

So I made something very special for her for Christmas, worked on it from June till November, and its only a drop in the ocean of what she deserves for all that she has done for me over the decades. We are closer than ever these days and I love it.

Advertisement