Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Quick question ladies. At what stage should you attend antenatal classes and is it best to do one all-day session or spread it out over a few sessions? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I did an all day antenatal class at around 31/32 weeks. Found it to be a long day but at the same time I got what I needed out of it. I've heard very mixed reports about the hospital ones in CUMH. I recently did a care of the child first aid class(2 1/2hours) and think I'd advise anyone to do it(or something similar) as well as an antenatal class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Can I ask you all about spa treats during your pregnancy. I know there are some things that you can't do for sure (hot tubs, saunas and the like) but whats the story with regard to facials, pedicures and massages and other lovely things?
    I'm feeling pretty bleughh today ( close to diarrohea instead of constipation, serveral crappy nights sleep in a row, sore lower back, nauseated, exhausted) and decided to take Friday off and have a facial, treatment for my back (I got a LOAD of spots on it just before falling pregnant and while most of them have gone now that part of me is in serious need of some TLC) and a little pedicure. I'll tell them at the salon that I am pregnant so they'll know (I'm sure?) what can and can't be done.
    Have any of you treated yourselves in a spa since getting pregnant and if so what were you can dos / can't dos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Penny, some spas won't do anything other than a manicure/pedicure before 12 weeks. I was booked in for a package of water suite, facial and back, neck and shoulder massage when I was about 6 weeks. I guessed I wouldn't be able to get the massage but once I informed them I was pregnant they wouldn't do the facial either. Apparently something to do with the oils before 12 weeks. I'd check first if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Yup, some oils can't be used safely at any time during the pregnancy, but from the second trimester onwards there are loads of spas with tailored treatments for mum's to be.

It's a shame as the first trimester is often when you need the relaxation the most!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yep most spas won't touch you before 12 weeks or after 32/36 weeks.

It also depends what products they use. I've manis and pedis at my local nail bar throughout my pregnancy and their products are apparently fine.

Another spa wouldn't do a full pedi on me...
    I think with the pedis you just have to be sure they don't massage certain points around your ankles and heels as these points can stimulate contractions.

I've had a couple facials aswell which were fine as their products were suitable during pregnancy. Also had a pregnancy massage which was divine!

I would ring them beforehand and let them know how many weeks pregnant you are as if they refuse you might be wasting your time going in. Also ask are their products safe during pregnancy.

All going well I hope you have a glorious time. How nice... I'm really really jealous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Penny you'll think I'm following you around advising you today but I just happen to know this too from my very pregnant best friend because we had a spa day booked when she found out she was pregnant. They won't do any massage treatments until after 12 weeks and then it's the maternity ones obviously. She could have a facial and a manicure, that was pretty much it. A treatment for your back, would that require you lying on your front? Another friend was refused an upright seated neck massage at 6 weeks pregnant, they won't do anything like that until after 12 weeks.

Pregnant women are also not allowed use hot tubs, saunas or steam rooms because they raise your core temperature. Just ring wherever you're thinking of booking and they'll be able to advise best. A facial and manicure should be fine as that is exactly what my friend was advised to change to when she found out she was pregnant.

She also had a massage at 8 months pregnant in the same place, a maternity back massage, just for perspective on treatments in later pregnancy.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yep most spas won't touch you before 12 weeks or after 32/36 weeks.

It also depends what products they use. I've manis and pedis at my local nail bar throughout my pregnancy and their products are apparently fine.

Another spa wouldn't do a full pedi on me...
    I think with the pedis you just have to be sure they don't massage certain points around your ankles and heels as these points can stimulate contractions.

I've had a couple facials aswell which were fine as their products were suitable during pregnancy. Also had a pregnancy massage which was divine!

I would ring them beforehand and let them know how many weeks pregnant you are as if they refuse you might be wasting your time going in. Also ask are their products safe during pregnancy.

All going well I hope you have a glorious time. How nice... I'm really really jealous :)

Thank you. I called and left a message so am waiting for them to call back and hopefully confirm that they can do all the lovely things
    or at least some of them!
    The pedicure isn't really a full on pedi - its more of a callus peel. I get horrible hard skin on my feet and just want it gone. There isn't too much massaging of the ankles or anything with it (I've had them before) so it should be ok I hope.
    Penny you'll think I'm following you around advising you today but I just happen to know this too from my very pregnant best friend because we had a spa day booked when she found out she was pregnant. They won't do any massage treatments until after 12 weeks and then it's the maternity ones obviously. She could have a facial and a manicure, that was pretty much it. A treatment for your back, would that require you lying on your front? Another friend was refused an upright seated neck massage at 6 weeks pregnant, they won't do anything like that until after 12 weeks.

Pregnant women are also not allowed use hot tubs, saunas or steam rooms because they raise your core temperature. Just ring wherever you're thinking of booking and they'll be able to advise best. A facial and manicure should be fine as that is exactly what my friend was advised to change to when she found out she was pregnant.

She also had a massage at 8 months pregnant in the same place, a maternity back massage, just for perspective on treatments in later pregnancy.

Hey, I'm very happy for anyone to be following me giving advice!:)

The back treatment would involve lying on my front - I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue at this stage in my pregnany:confused: Given that there is no bump or anything and I find I sleep on my front a lot anyway by default why is it bad? If the oils or whatever they'll be doing to treat my back (its the upper back too- neck and shoulder area) then I understand that.

To be honest I'd be happy out with a facial only if thats all I can get.
    I felt so crappy yesterday - awake early, back was killing me, very uncomfortable in the pelvic region, boobs were like torpedos, nauesated and then I had to work very late- that booking that spa alone and deciding to take Friday off made me feel better. :o

Had a fantastic nights sleep last night- also was spoiled when I got home. Dinner was handed to me, hot water bottle awaited me on the couch, got full control of the remote so indulged in Grand Designs.... feel brand new today!

No Penny, regardless of how early in your pregnancy, you shouldn't lie on your front and especially not for a treatment. I think some people say it's fine but the doctors and nurses I have asked have said no. That's why you should ask for a specific pregnancy massage whereby you lie on your sides for the treatment and where they will know what oils to use as so many essential oils are contra indicated during pregnancy. Not trying to scare monger here, I go for a LOT of pampering treatments and people underestimate how powerful they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Love being spoiled!

Hope you can get your treatment done, we went to Cork for Valentine's and my fiance booked me in for a mummy to be leg massage, head massage and pedicure so I knew everything was safe for pregnancy. It was bliss so I really hope you can get yours done!

How's everyone finding pregnancy so far? I still have a lot of fear, I started watching One Born Every Minute last night because I think the more labours I see (including regular complications) the more prepared and calm I'll be with things when it's my turn. On the downside I dreamed of labour all last night which wasn't great!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Love being spoiled!

Hope you can get your treatment done, we went to Cork for Valentine's and my fiance booked me in for a mummy to be leg massage, head massage and pedicure so I knew everything was safe for pregnancy. It was bliss so I really hope you can get yours done!

How's everyone finding pregnancy so far? I still have a lot of fear, I started watching One Born Every Minute last night because I think the more labours I see (including regular complications) the more prepared and calm I'll be with things when it's my turn. On the downside I dreamed of labour all last night which wasn't great!:D

Don't do it to yourself! :D

I used to watch this prior to having children and it scared the PANTS OFF ME! ;)

Most labour and delivery stories are much less dramatic and more calm than the ones they feature.

My advice to pre first birth self now would be: don't watch one born, don't focus on labour and delivery because it's over in a flash when the real hard work of being a parent begins: focus more on how you will care for your baby in those first few weeks and less on how you will labour and deliver :)

I know it's easy for me to say BUT I wish I'd concentrated more on how to be a new Mom than how intimidating labour and delivery was.

And my first labour was 28 hours long and it was, in reflection, the absolute easiest part of being a new mom.

The tiredness was way WAY worse ;)

In summary, sleep, SLEEP as much as you can now because your sleep will NEVER again come as easy or be as carefree OR last as long ;)

Merkin wrote: »
    No Penny, regardless of how early in your pregnancy, you shouldn't lie on your front and especially not for a treatment. I think some people say it's fine but the doctors and nurses I have asked have said no. That's why you should ask for a specific pregnancy massage whereby you lie on your sides for the treatment and where they will know what oils to use as so many essential oils are contra indicated during pregnancy. Not trying to scare monger here, I go for a LOT of pampering treatments and people underestimate how powerful they are!

The salon just called me back. The facial will be fine - now that they know I'm pregnant they'll give me a facial specifically for pregnant women so thats grand. I just want nice rubbing and pampering in a warm quiet room.
    With regard to the back treatment, they did say that its most likely to be out- the blood rushing to the front of your body is a problem apparently? If they can do it while I'm on my side then they will so we'll see about that.
    Love being spoiled!

Thank you - it would seem that I can get at least some of it done. Looking forward to Friday now big time!.

That's brilliant Penny, nothing like being pampered, I'm all for it.

Are you in Dublin?

I've always gone to these guys and while I haven't had a specific pregnancy treatment with them yet, I know they are great for all the other treatments they do.

http://www.urbandayspa.ie/spatreatments

That's brilliant Penny, nothing like being pampered, I'm all for it.

Are you in Dublin?

I've always gone to these guys and while I haven't had a specific pregnancy treatment with them yet, I know they are great for all the other treatments they do.

http://www.urbandayspa.ie/spatreatments

I am in Dublin. The Urban Day Spa looks great. Might check it out for the next time!

And if you are in Dublin Mink in Donnybrook have a the most awesome manicures and pedicures. I'm getting mine done tomorrow :)

I am in Dublin. The Urban Day Spa looks great. Might check it out for the next time!

They are so lovely in there, a really nice relaxed atmosphere with free atmosphere and they let you lie in a little chill out room with magazines and herbal teas after any treatment for as long as you like afterwards :)
    And if you are in Dublin Mink in Donnybrook have a the most awesome manicures and pedicures. I'm getting mine done tomorrow :)

Ha no way, I love Mink too! I actually have a €50 voucher for there so you've reminded me to use it, enjoy yourself! :)

O merkin aren't they so good! I love getting the parafin treatment on my hands. And the manicure lasts ages. and they are so nice. i try and go every 2 weeks... It's my guilty pleasure. Lol.

O merkin aren't they so good! I love getting the parafin treatment on my hands. And the manicure lasts ages. and they are so nice. i try and go every 2 weeks... It's my guilty pleasure. Lol.

Paraffin treatments on your hands or feet are just the best! As mentioned earlier I get horrible skin on my feet and the first time I had a paraffin pedicure I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I absolutely LOVE paraffin treatments, makes the hands and feet baby smooth and it's just so relaxing as well. I want one NOW! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That's nonsense, my consultant told me that as long as I am comfortable that sleeping on my front is absolutely fine. I've done it on my last three pregnancies, can't this time as it is actually uncomfortable this time, but there are no issues with lying on your front.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    That's nonsense, my consultant told me that as long as I am comfortable that sleeping on my front is absolutely fine. I've done it on my last three pregnancies, can't this time as it is actually uncomfortable this time, but there are no issues with lying on your front.

My consultant and GP said no so I suppose we'll have to agree to differ.

The salon called today to confirm that the facial and pedicure are all fine but the back treatment is out. Of interest I asked her what the reason was and she said that its a combination of not being on my front for that long (when you sleep on your front or in any position you rarely stay in the one spot all night I suppose), the oils used in the treatment and the rubbing might be too strong for this early in my pregnancy.
    Either way I'm grand with getting two out of my three nice pampering things so looking forward to Friday big time.

That's great Penny, at least you can still chill and enjoy the pampering, nothing quite like a bit of delicious self indulgence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I had a couple of pedicures while pregnant, they were loooovely!

I remember a few days after my due date I went for one, the therapist asked if I wanted the massage chair turned on, but warned that it could bring on labour ... I was like "GOD YEAH, turn it on, full blast!" :D

Good morning everyone! I'm 19 weeks today, yay :) Quick question. I see from Babycentre et al that at around this stage, dietary iron is really important for bubba and normally this can't be gleaned from diet alone.

I already take a pregnancy multivit that contains iron but I just wondered what the recommended dose is and when you all started it and how does it help? Thanks x

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Good morning everyone! I'm 19 weeks today, yay :) Quick question. I see from Babycentre et al that at around this stage, dietary iron is really important for bubba and normally this can't be gleaned from diet alone.

I already take a pregnancy multivit that contains iron but I just wondered what the recommended dose is and when you all started it and how does it help? Thanks x

When you have your antenatal checks they take blood, and if you are iron deficient they'll ring you to tell you to take OTC iron. If you are very low in Iron, they might prescribe you something else.

Iron can cause constipation so keep an eye on that and drink loads of water and eat loads of foods that keep things moving.

Great Neyite, thanks a million for this. I've an iron rich diet so it would be nice if I can avoid taking a supplement. I took an iron supplement once in my life years ago for about a week and I might as well have put a cork up my bottom.....nothing budged! :o

I definitely plan to get a Shellac manicure and pedicure as a treat once I start approaching my due date so I feel a little bit pampered, it's awkward enough getting to my toes now as it is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I definitely plan to get a Shellac manicure and pedicure as a treat once I start approaching my due date so I feel a little bit pampered, it's awkward enough getting to my toes now as it is:D

I rethink that if i were you! If you end up needing a c-section itll be a b***h to get off! They made a woman on my ward take it off her toes too not just her fingers.

• Advertisement

I rethink that if i were you! If you end up needing a c-section itll be a b***h to get off! They made a woman on my ward take it off her toes too not just her fingers.

Really, why would that interfere with a c section? First pregnancy so every day I have my head turning around with some new info!!

Advertisement