Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Really, why would that interfere with a c section? First pregnancy so every day I have my head turning around with some new info!!

Its not for a pregnancy reason - no one is allowed into theatre with nail polish (of any kind) on their finger or toe nails. One is for hygiene control purposes and the second is that when under anaesthesia is checking your natural nail colour is used to check on your circulation.
    Nail polish (especially if thick as Shellac is) can interfere with the pulse monitor that is clipped to your finger ontop of your nail to keep an eye on your pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Its not for a pregnancy reason - no one is allowed into theatre with nail polish (of any kind) on their finger or toe nails. One is for hygiene control purposes and the second is that when under anaesthesia is checking your natural nail colour is used to check on your circulation.
    Nail polish (especially if thick as Shellac is) can interfere with the pulse monitor that is clipped to your finger ontop of your nail to keep an eye on your pulse.

Thanks so much, I never would have even thought about that so that's great to know, really appreciate the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Really, why would that interfere with a c section? First pregnancy so every day I have my head turning around with some new info!!

When you have nail varnish on if you need surgery it is difficult for the healthcare team to check your capillary refill in your nail beds. Pulse oximetry will still work but its more te capillary refill which will be hard to see.

Normal nail varnish is fine going in unless you are having planned surgery. It doesn't take long for it to be taken off with nail varnish. But definitely say away from gels, acrylics or shellac.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, I had toenail polish on when I was in labour - I'd several coats of colour, a few coats of glitter on top of that and a top coat.
    One of the midwives made a start at removing the polish when they were prepping me for EMCS but because of the glitter it was taking ages, so they had to abandon the idea after one try.

They were all so calm and blase about my pretty polish being too nice to take off, so they were leaving it on me. I was all chuffed that they noticed my efforts little knowing that they were lying and that it was because they couldn't wait any longer to get the baby out.

Only twigged weeks later looking back.

Neyite wrote: »
    Yep, I had toenail polish on when I was in labour - I'd several coats of colour, a few coats of glitter on top of that and a top coat.
    One of the midwives made a start at removing the polish when they were prepping me for EMCS but because of the glitter it was taking ages, so they had to abandon the idea after one try.

They were all so calm and blase about my pretty polish being too nice to take off, so they were leaving it on me. I was all chuffed that they noticed my efforts little knowing that they were lying and that it was because they couldn't wait any longer to get the baby out.

Ah yes, good old 20 20 eyesight in reverse! :D

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »

Glitter is the worst for getting off! Looks great tho! :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Glitter is the worst for getting off! Looks great tho! :)

I did have the nicest toes on my ward. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had gel nails and toes during both c sections. I hate not having my nails done and my consultant said there was no problem. In fact she confided that she refused to remove her polish during prep for a section! I had French style polish so you could see my nails fine.

lazygal wrote: »
    I had gel nails and toes during both c sections. I hate not having my nails done and my consultant said there was no problem. In fact she confided that she refused to remove her polish during prep for a section! I had French style polish so you could see my nails fine.

The French polish still colours your nails. An anaesthetist can insist they its all removed before they'll go near you. They're really the ones that are keeping you alive during a procedure. No disprespect to the skill or talent of any surgeon out there but without a good anaesthetist they're up the creek.

I'm a first timer at this pregnany business so please remember that when I ask - when you're getting ready to have your baby do your nails really matter to you that much? You can always get them done afterwards:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The French polish still colours your nails. An anaesthetist can insist they its all removed before they'll go near you. They're really the ones that are keeping you alive during a procedure. No disprespect to the skill or talent of any surgeon out there but without a good anaesthetist they're up the creek.

I'm a first timer at this pregnany business so please remember that when I ask - when you're getting ready to have your baby do your nails really matter to you that much? You can always get them done afterwards:confused:

Well I've been there and done that twice. I hated pregnancy and for me being groomed made me feel a bit more normal, a bit more like the normal me without the flab and the bump. And as I said my consultant, who delivered both my children, totally saw where I was coming from and it wasn't even slightly an issue, I was asked about the gel toes and hands, a box was ticked, and I had my sections with no issue whatsoever. Having had two children arrive safe and well I'm secure in the choices I made even if others think its trivial to want to have your nails done.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    Well I've been there and done that twice. I hated pregnancy and for me being groomed made me feel a bit more normal, a bit more like the normal me without the flab and the bump. And as I said my consultant, who delivered both my children, totally saw where I was coming from and it wasn't even slightly an issue, I was asked about the gel toes and hands, a box was ticked, and I had my sections with no issue whatsoever. Having had two children arrive safe and well I'm secure in the choices I made even if others think its trivial to want to have your nails done.

I was only asking.......no judgement, never said it was trivial either.

I think its down to personal preference - some women do feel prepared having done their nails or lady garden. Some bring straighteners and hair dryers and heaps of cosmetics. Some bring all of the above, and it all changes once you get down to business on the day. Some look back and laugh their heads off going "what was I thinking bringing X,Y and Z with me, lol"

I personally never wear makeup unless I'm going out. So it didn't occur to me to wear any in hospital afterwards - I was still half drugged and euphoric but when my sister put pics on facebook and I saw them, I wished I'd scrubbed up more than usual. I wore more makeup on maternity leave than I ever wore at work. It was a psychological thing I think - I had to look like a mother who had her sh!t together, even if a lot of days, I didn't feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Can I ask ladies, have any of you had your full lady garden waxed during pregnancy? I always have a Hollywood, so the whole lot off, but since being preggers I've just had a bikini wax because I've become a total wimp. I'm ready to brave going bare again though so can anyone vouch that the pain is around the same or is it infinitely worse?

Merkin wrote: »
    Can I ask ladies, have any of you had your full lady garden waxed during pregnancy? I always have a Hollywood, so the whole lot off, but since being preggers I've just had a bikini wax because I've become a total wimp. I'm ready to brave going bare again though so can anyone vouch that the pain is around the same or is it infinitely worse?

The full one. I took a couple of panadol but she was very gentle and took her time. I told myself the pain was a warm-up for the main event. :D but it actually wasnt any sorer than before. Maybe even less because she was more careful.

Its so worth it. I bled for nearly 7 weeks afterwards and it does make you feel cleaner in between snatched showers you get when baby sleeps for more than a nanosecond.

I know Neyite, I always have had it done regularly and much prefer going bare so I can't wait to go back to having it done! Seems like my fear was maybe ill-founded so I'll book an appointment for next week, cheers.

Did you bleed AFTER the birth for seven weeks? :eek:

Did you bleed AFTER the birth for seven weeks? :eek:

Mostly spotting after the first month. But about 7 weeks before I could go without panty liners. But everyone is different, some its only a few weeks.

It was weird because I exclusively breastfed so that's meant to help speed up that side of things but it didn't for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I had a full wax when I was a few weeks pregnant. Oh Lordy the pain :o I'm a complete wuss at the best of times though, it would be quite normal for me to go in for a waxing after dosing myself up on Neurofen Plus!! I would really like to be brave enough to have it down nearer the end though - not for aesthetics, just to "feel" cleaner when there's all manner of fluids and excretions down there!

Me too, I just much prefer it and it's now been 20 weeks since my last full wax! My orgasms are always more intense when I have it done and I just feel cleaner as well so I'm really keen to get it done. I also think that during labour, the midwife would have a clearer "view" of proceedings without having to navigate her way through the Forest of Dean :o I'm just going to bite the bullet. I phoned Urban Wax about it last week (my normal therapist has gone on maternity leave) and the girl said they'll go gently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Me too, I just much prefer it and it's now been 20 weeks since my last full wax! My orgasms are always more intense when I have it done and I just feel cleaner as well so I'm really keen to get it done. I also think that during labour, the midwife would have a clearer "view" of proceedings without having to navigate her way through the Forest of Dean :o I'm just going to bite the bullet. I phoned Urban Wax about it last week (my normal therapist has gone on maternity leave) and the girl said they'll go gently!

20 weeks ... And your bump is 19 weeks old.... There's a joke in there but I'm too baby brained to construct it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Hi,
    I am almost 10 weeks :) so a newbie compared to many here. I had an early scan last week and all's well, thankfully.

My query is lack of symptoms currently. They seem to have all but abated for about 2 weeks now. Should be grateful I guess but it can be a bit disconcerting!

I still have 2 very mild symptoms that have continued all thro but the rest have gone. Has anyone else, who's a bit further along, had a similar experience? I can't wait to get to 12 weeks, time is dragging now...

Thanks and congrats and best wishes to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I got a hollywood when I was pregnant, as I figured post birth it'd be neater and cleaner. Hurt like billy-O. I was trying to hold off getting it re-done so that it'd be done as near to my due date as poss, but I went into labour four weeks early :-/ So was a hairy mary in the delivery room :D Ended up having a section so it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Kind of annoyed I put myself through the torture and didn't get the benefit though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Seriously thinking of buying a pre-packed maternity bag... probably being ripped off though... what do you ladies think? I have PJ's and nightdress for me already... it's 75 euro...

For Mum:
    -Reusable weekend bag.
    -Cotton Hand towel & facecloth
    -10 Maternity Pads
    -5 Disposable briefs (sizes 10-12, 14-16, 18-20 Available)
    -10 Breast pads
    -Hair bobbins
    -Packet tissues
    -Lip balm
    -Toiletries (can include Shampoo, Shower gel, Moisturiser, deodorant)
    -Glucose sweets- to keep the energy up for labour!!!

For Baby:
    -Blanket (choice of fleece or cotton)
    -3 Cotton Sleepsuits
    -3 Cotton Bodysuits
    -2 Bibs & 1 Muslin cloth
    -Hats & Mittens
    -1 Pre-sterilised Soother
    -15 Pampers/ Huggies Nappies
    -Choice of Large Packet Cotton Wool / or Baby Wipes
    -Nappy bags
    -Baby toiletries (Can include Baby wash/ Shampoo/ Nappy Cream/ Baby Oil)

January wrote: »
    Seriously thinking of buying a pre-packed maternity bag... probably being ripped off though... what do you ladies think? I have PJ's and nightdress for me already... it's 75 euro...

For Mum:
    -Reusable weekend bag.
    -Cotton Hand towel & facecloth
    -10 Maternity Pads
    -5 Disposable briefs (sizes 10-12, 14-16, 18-20 Available)
    -10 Breast pads
    -Hair bobbins
    -Packet tissues
    -Lip balm
    -Toiletries (can include Shampoo, Shower gel, Moisturiser, deodorant)
    -Glucose sweets- to keep the energy up for labour!!!

For Baby:
    -Blanket (choice of fleece or cotton)
    -3 Cotton Sleepsuits
    -3 Cotton Bodysuits
    -2 Bibs & 1 Muslin cloth
    -Hats & Mittens
    -1 Pre-sterilised Soother
    -15 Pampers/ Huggies Nappies
    -Choice of Large Packet Cotton Wool / or Baby Wipes
    -Nappy bags
    -Baby toiletries (Can include Baby wash/ Shampoo/ Nappy Cream/ Baby Oil)

Sounds lovely and so hassle free! I spose it really depends on how specific you are about what products you like to use tho. Like if you want specific nappies, wipes, babygros or shampoo etc. baby doesn't really need toiletries in the hospital tho right? The only thing we used on our fella was water and cotton wool. no lotions or oils or anything. But I spose you know what you like it being your fourth! Major respect! :).

I wouldn't use the baby products in the hospital no, but they could be handy for a few weeks after at home. I'm not sure what brands they use though. I'm not fussy on what I use on myself but wouldn't put Johnsons or anything like that near the baby!

I'm dreading this time around more than the others, total fear of the unknown this time, especially since the last birth was so quick.

I wouldn't use the baby products in the hospital no, but they could be handy for a few weeks after at home. I'm not sure what brands they use though. I'm not fussy on what I use on myself but wouldn't put Johnsons or anything like that near the baby!

I'm dreading this time around more than the others, total fear of the unknown this time, especially since the last birth was so quick.

How come you're dreading this time around? I hope everything is ok.

I've no idea... I didn't have a lot of time to sit around and think of the birth last time... well I did but because I didn't get a chance to voice my fears to anyone out loud (joys of hiding a pregnancy) it kind of didn't seem real... I'm probably not making sense...

Baby is fine and I'm fine and healthy but I just can't shake the feeling that something is going to go wrong this time... it's a stressful year ... my eldest daughter is going in for open heart surgery this summer and my 4 year old is getting grommets (not a huge thing at all but she's a sensitive little thing and I know she'll be scared) and I'm just getting a little bit sick of hospitals!

I'm just hoping the labour and birth are uneventful is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

January it might be nice for you to take a full day for yourself and your fiance to go off and buy all those things? If you could get someone to mind the others for a day!

It's just nice to be able to pick those things for yourself ... the first few babygros for the early pictures, the brands of products that you actually prefer, etc. And sure you've been through it yourself a few times, you know what's actually needed when you're in the hospital! I'm sure you're so busy with the other kids, but it would be nice to take a day to just focus on yourself and your fiance and this baby. :)

I find it hard enough with one, I can't imagine how you manage three and being pregnant as well! You really deserve a bit of time to yourselves!

I've no idea... I didn't have a lot of time to sit around and think of the birth last time... well I did but because I didn't get a chance to voice my fears to anyone out loud (joys of hiding a pregnancy) it kind of didn't seem real... I'm probably not making sense...

Baby is fine and I'm fine and healthy but I just can't shake the feeling that something is going to go wrong this time... it's a stressful year ... my eldest daughter is going in for open heart surgery this summer and my 4 year old is getting grommets (not a huge thing at all but she's a sensitive little thing and I know she'll be scared) and I'm just getting a little bit sick of hospitals!

I'm just hoping the labour and birth are uneventful is all!

O god, I can't imagine the stress you're going through! You are dealing with so much already with your kids. Open heart surgery... Gosh I really hope you and your 4yo are ok. That must be so stressful on its own without being pregnant and all the other things you've going on. I hope all will be ok. I'm sure it will be.

Hopefully your labour will go nice and smoothly. You're a pro at this and prob well able to voice your fears and concerns now of you have any. Make sure your birth partner is aware of them aswell and can voice them for you.

So regarding the bag... If I had everything going on that you do is probably get it so it was one less thing to worry about :).

Youre probably so busy worrying and thinking about your children and your baby...Just make sure you mind yourself aswell and your partner minds you too. You need to be taken care of during these times :) x

Thanks girls :) Definitely have somebody to mind the girls, no problem there! My family are great for that. My partners dad had a major stroke a year and a half ago and because he's an only child he's a bit stretched with running between us and helping his mum look after his dad, but we're coping! Thankfully I don't have to do much around the house either because he's a lot more domesticated than I am... must have skipped a generation because my mam is practically OCD about housework!!

Sligo1 - you've really made me smile, thank you! I'd never consider myself a pro at this but you are right, I have become a lot more vocal since my first pregnancy.

The girls will be fine, I know they will :) Addison is a little trooper but I'll hate seeing her so vulnerable after the surgery. Thankfully her heart condition (she has sub aortic stenosis, which is a muscular shelf growing under her aortic valve restricting blood flow) was noticed, she's asymptomatic and a trip to the doc for a chest infection when she was just going three showed a heart murmur and was diagnosed from there. We wouldn't have known about it otherwise!

• Advertisement

Your an awesome mum and your kids are so lucky to have you. It's good they picked up on the SAS so she can get the best treatment. She will be fine aye little pet. Mind yourself.

Advertisement