Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I hope you are feeling a little bit better today January. I think it must be all too easy to get a little overwhelmed at times given everything that is going on for you - I hope you're feeling a little more positive today. I've every confidence that this pregnancy and baby will be fine for you m'dear - you were just feeling like that yesterday because you were feeling a little low, hugs to you.

As for your little girl, my Dad is a doctor and Mum is a nurse and they always say how resilient and tough little children are. It is so hard seeing them go through any kind of invasive procedure but they are all as tough as old boots when it comes down to it, regardless of how little and fragile they seem. Your little one will be absolutely fine xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Feeling much better today :) Think it was just the whole hospital appointment that got me down... 2 hours waiting to be seen for 4 minutes!

Onwards and upwards, little man is currently kicking the insides off me!

Thank you all so much x

Awww I'm glad. I think when we're feeling a bit low or vulnerable the pregnancy hormones exacerbate everything and just make everything seem more pants don't they?

Funny too how bubba is kicking you. I find if I'm a bit emotional, bubba kicks me too almost as if to say "I'm here Mummy, not to worry!" :) Awwww, babies are great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Hi. I'm 10 weeks along. First-timer! Those of you who are 2nd tri and beyond may have some views please.

At first GP visit, Doc said to come back BETWEEN 11 and 14 weeks for 2nd visit and this would include the fetal heartbeat etc. I had an early scan at 8wks, all fine so far, thankfully and fingers and toes crossed of course.

In my head, I was waiting for "the 12 wks "to get over the first line, so as to speak and break the news which I can't wait to, of course, but am v cautious pre-12 weeks of course. As I will be on hols soon with my OH, we'd thought about going to GP just before, which would have been 11+4, and then been able to tell a few peeps we will meet during the hol, when of course it's going to be hard to hide it. I rang the other GP in the practice today (couldn't get my usual one) to double check before booking the appt and he put me off til 14 weeks, said it was prob better as the heartbeat machine may not work well til then and rather than than the risk of a false negative and stressing me out, better to wait. I trust the GP, no reason not to but this has thrown me as now it's a 14 week wait. God, seems an age away! But I'd be more reassured to have this test behind me first. I asked him about another scan at 12 weeks and he said no need for 2nd scan. Anyone else get this advice? I know the most important thing has to get through this safe and well but I can't help being impatient, as excited.

When is your first appointment with the hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

At 20 weeks. I had an early scan at 8 weeks.

Ah right. GP is right about the doppler not picking up heartbeat so early, it can be worrisome. I had a scan at 12 weeks but that was my first hospital appointment.

This is my 4th baby and on my second child I didn't have a scan until pretty late. I did pay for a private one at 12 weeks for peace of mind on my first but I hadn't had one at 8 weeks either and my first appt wasn't until 19 weeks.

Could you pay for a private one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I second January's suggestion, there's lots of options for private scan if you can afford them (usually €80-100). Waiting until the 14 week mark is a sensible approach by the GP but does nothing to alleviate your worry!! I think they operate on the assumption that everything will be fine (as the vast majority of pregnancies are) but when you're the one carrying the baby you can't help but worry about every outcome, no matter how statistically unlikely :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Yep the private scan is great we went for one before our first scan and it was great to see the little chap initially!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Well, it's started happening - I'm starting to choose comfort over fashion. Any sense of style I once had is slowly going out the window :pac: I have a life of leggings and shoes clearly aimed at the retirement generation in my immediate future. I even sighed with happiness when I put on a pair of said shoes in M&S at how supportive they were on my feet last night.

No-one warns you how sexy life as a pregnant woman is going to be :D

• Advertisement

And we mustn't forget the big knickers!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

For you ladies who've been pregnant before and are seasoned baby carriers.. I had two scans already. One at 8w,4d and one at what I thought was 10w,2d (in relation to first scan) However, second scan measured me at 10w,5days. It's only a 3 days gap so means nothing I know but is the earlier scan usually the more accurate one?
    The reason I ask is that I am dying to tell people and I will when I reach 12 weeks and those 3 days might make my wait a tad longer :P

Going by the first scan I am 11 weeks today and my morning sickness started to ease up at 9 weeks but is back with a bang since yesterday. *puke*

Going by what you say, you are actually three days further along tan you thought Isolt which would mean telling people a little sooner! I'd go by this scan as it charts bubbas gestational age at time of sac and is most accurate. I'm so happy that things are going well for you Isolt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I don't pay too much attention to the scan dates... Unless I had irregular periods or other reasons. I have always just taken the 12 week mark from the first day of my last period.... I count the days from that date and then start telling people :). Not sure if this is the correct way or not...

Thanks a million ladies. Sligo, I did not have a period between the miscarriage and this pregnancy so we cannot use LMP to determine due date. I have read that early scans can vary by a couple of days and I know it's not a problem but I'm just excited! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Isolt wrote: »
    Thanks a million ladies. Sligo, I did not have a period between the miscarriage and this pregnancy so we cannot use LMP to determine due date. I have read that early scans can vary by a couple of days and I know it's not a problem but I'm just excited! :D

Ah congratulations Isolt! Really happy for you. Bet you can't wait to start telling people :).

I'd go by the most recent scan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Can I ask have any of experienced a really really strong quite painful pressure on your pubic bone during your early pregnancy?
    I'm 9+6 today and have experienced this twice. The first time was when I was 7+6 and I was driving home from work and got a really intense pressure (almost like my pubic bone was being pulled into two separate pieces) on the pubic bone and into the very top of my thighs. It last about 15 minutes and then abated. There was no bleeding whatsoever and no pain in my abdomen at all.
    Then yesterday I was having a nap (had been at a wedding the night before and was very tired) and the pain came back and woke me it.
    This time it really took my breath away and was very strong. It was back in the top of my thighs and was making my legs a bit weak - I had to wait for it to pass a little before I was wiling to chance making it down stairs to get some pain killers for myself.
    It lasted about 20 minutes again before it abated slowly but the pubic bone area was sensitive to even putting your hand there for a little while.
    Again there was no bleeding whatsoever nor was there abdominal pain at all.
    I've put on no weight since getting pregnant so it can't really or logically be weight gain. I'm not looking for medical advice and I will mention it to my doctor when I see them but it would be interesting to know if anyone has had this happen to them too.
    I know there is a condition called SPD but I'd have thought I'd be too early in the pregnancy to have it as a symptom yet? Also I'm not overweight (5' 8" and weigh 148lbs) which I know can be a contributing factor.

For peace of mind, asking the midwife or your doc is the best way to go but sounds like SPD to me (which I have and it's a bugger). I think this can start early as your pelvis and muscles start to relax although I didn't get mine as early as 9 weeks.

Honestly if you can book a quick appointment or talk to your midwife over the phone I'm sure you'll get peace of mind very quickly:)

Anyone can get SPD, I think it's 1 in 8 women do suffer and I can see from a quick look other people did have it as early as you http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/a1535186-Anyone-had-SPD-as-early-as-9-weeks

Honestly though, the one thing I've learned from pregnancy is not to google anything and rely on the midwives for advice so that's what I'd recommend you do:)

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    For peace of mind, asking the midwife or your doc is the best way to go but sounds like SPD to me (which I have and it's a bugger). I think this can start early as your pelvis and muscles start to relax although I didn't get mine as early as 9 weeks.

Honestly if you can book a quick appointment or talk to your midwife over the phone I'm sure you'll get peace of mind very quickly:)

Anyone can get SPD, I think it's 1 in 8 women do suffer and I can see from a quick look other people did have it as early as you http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/a1535186-Anyone-had-SPD-as-early-as-9-weeks

Honestly though, the one thing I've learned from pregnancy is not to google anything and rely on the midwives for advice so that's what I'd recommend you do:)

Thank you. :) Google can be a very dangerous place all right:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

SPD can hit anyone ;) I had all the pains since week 13 but didnt get myself sorted until week 32 !! Dont do that !!! ;)

I am almost 12 weeks & today I feel like my belly is gona burst. I've got mild stretchy sensations too, like I've been doing sit ups. Could this be my uterus rising up or is it just bloating?

I am almost 12 weeks & today I feel like my belly is gona burst. I've got mild stretchy sensations too, like I've been doing sit ups. Could this be my uterus rising up or is it just bloating?

I had that and was round ligament pain which is common!:)

Delighted you've got to twelve weeks, it's a big milestone

LH2013 wrote: »
    SPD can hit anyone ;) I had all the pains since week 13 but didnt get myself sorted until week 32 !! Dont do that !!! ;)

Did you go to your GP or straight for physio?

Hope you're all enjoying the beautiful weather this week, I am but I'm overheating so much that town was a bit of a struggle today, I'm ok outside with a breeze but am finding some of the shops too much already, can only imagine how I'll feel by June when I'm ready to pop!:D

Did you go to your GP or straight for physio?

I mentioned it to midwife and she referred me to physio ...... I had heard that you would be waiting ages for an appointment but I had one within 3 days ....... Obv they cant fix it but she did help me make it more manageable !

LH2013 wrote: »
    I mentioned it to midwife and she referred me to physio ...... I had heard that you would be waiting ages for an appointment but I had one within 3 days ....... Obv they cant fix it but she did help me make it more manageable !

Were you waiting to see a physio in the hospital? If you had opted to go to one yourself then you wouldn't have been waiting I presume? I have a good physio locally that I can just call up and go to if it gets bad for me.

Were you waiting to see a physio in the hospital? If you had opted to go to one yourself then you wouldn't have been waiting I presume? I have a good physio locally that I can just call up and go to if it gets bad for me.

I am sure you could ... The one in the maternity is free ... They gave me belt and a spikey ball thing for my back and went thru loads of exercises ..... They do follow ups etc if needed and its noted on your file and stuff ! I was lucky only waited a few days to see them .... If I had mentioned it sooner I would have saved myself alot of pain !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I had spd from very early too. Although i mentioned it numerous tines to gp he just get saying it was part and parcel of pregnancy.
    This is my 2nd baby so i knew there was more to it.
    Then i had to go home from work 1 day as i could not sit or stand or barely walk.
    Rang gps and my usual gp was not available so went to someone else. She reffered me to physio and signed me off work to rest.
    Had my physio app (through hospital) within a week.
    Had to buy my serola belt myself though.
    After a few weeks of physio i am completly fine. I know im one of the very lucky few that didnt have it all the way to the end but the months i had were bad.
    I could not turn in the bed. Needed a crutch sometimes also. On more than 1 occasion had to wake my OH a night to help me to the loo.

Deffinetly try get a physio refferal and the sooner the better.

Advertisement