Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I am 20+1 and in the last 3 days the kicks have gone crazy that even my partner can feel them now! It's lovely. It only happens a couple of times a day but it's so reassuring, the doc says I'm very lucky because some ladies feel no definite movement until weeks 21 - 23. I've been so anxious during this pregnancy so I'm very, very grateful that I can feel him/her kicking now. Long may it last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I felt movement from 13+6 and the moment will stay with me for ever!:) I was sitting comfy as you like watching TV and I felt this wonderful little tip-tap/fluttery feeling that only lasted a couple of seconds but it was wonderful, he hasn't really stopped since! I appreciate how early it was and lots of people feel the first movement at different times. I adore feeling him move and wiggle, in fact I'll probably miss it when he arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Ah the first little kicks are lovely, I've heard it described as like popcorn popping in your stomach which was exactly how it felt at the start! For the first bit my fiance couldn't feel the kicks when I could but that all changed and now he can lay his head on my tummy and the little man kicks him in the head:D

My friend who is due in August has described her first kicks exactly like popcorn popping too. I thought she was a little nuts until today.
    Very uncooperative child though, I've asked him/her very nicely to do it again and they are stubbornly refusing! Dreadful behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

With my first. The first few movements were like bubbles in ny tummh. But ill never forget the first proper kick. Was heading to work and going down an icy hill when i tried to brake and skidded and she gave me a good kick at the same time. I dont know which gave me more of a fright.

I got just the teeniest little bit carried away this morning with shopping. Its not my fault really, the internet makes shopping far too easy AND it makes it look like I'm busy working away while actually surfing for clothes. :eek::o

Anyhow I bought some stuff (more than I should have really and might yet end up sending some of it back) from www.boobdesign.com. I opted for a few tops and long sleeve t-shirts and a pair of "once on never off" leggings.
    I've never worn leggings in my life but they do look super comfy.
    I still need to get clothes for work too so the above purchases were kinda bold but I'm trying to convince myself that they'll do me for ages and ages and for breast feeding too.
    Stupid credit card. Now I have to go to the credit union this week and take money from my account there to pay for my impulse behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I got just the teeniest little bit carried away this morning with shopping. Its not my fault really, the internet makes shopping far too easy AND it makes it look like I'm busy working away while actually surfing for clothes. :eek::o

Anyhow I bought some stuff (more than I should have really and might yet end up sending some of it back) from www.boobdesign.com. I opted for a few tops and long sleeve t-shirts and a pair of "once on never off" leggings.
    I've never worn leggings in my life but they do look super comfy.
    I still need to get clothes for work too so the above purchases were kinda bold but I'm trying to convince myself that they'll do me for ages and ages and for breast feeding too.
    Stupid credit card. Now I have to go to the credit union this week and take money from my account there to pay for my impulse behaviour.

Snap! Penny these tops are awesome for breastfeeding! I bought some in Umama but they didnt have a lot of stock so went to that website and bought another 3 t.shirts. Got the delivery on Friday gone and they are lovely! I bought some nice bright colours for summer (pinks and reds)... They are so handy! I did they whole of Dublin and couldn't find anything similar. It's great when ur feeding to not have to lift your entire top up but just lift the little flap across the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

OMG OMG OMG I JUST found out I'm pregnant!! 1-2 weeks! I cannot believe it! Himself home in 15 minutes and can't wait to tell him. After a year trying and I've Just turned 40 :(
    and I'd said to myself if it didn't happen this month then I was giving up.

I Just CANNOT believe this!

I'm so sorry for not even reading the last posts (very rude) I just had to jump in with excitement as there is only one other person I can tell for the next 3 months!

budweiser6 wrote: »
    OMG OMG OMG I JUST found out I'm pregnant!! 1-2 weeks! I cannot believe it! Himself home in 15 minutes and can't wait to tell him. After a year trying and I've Just turned 40 :(

I'm so sorry for not even reading the last posts (very rude) I just had to jump in with excitement as there is only one other person I can tell for the next 3 months!

Huge congratulations. Its such an exciting time and it doesn't lessen at all. The excitment changes and alters with each new thing that each stage of the wonderful process brings to you and your partner. It really is wonderful, even when its crappy its wonderful and you wouldn't swap it for anything.

Use this site as much as you can. It was brilliant for me, especially while I was still keeping the pregnancy quiet, I could chat with other first timers and availe of the experience of those who have done it all before and are doing it again.

:):):):):):):):)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Snap! Penny these tops are awesome for breastfeeding! I bought some in Umama but they didnt have a lot of stock so went to that website and bought another 3 t.shirts. Got the delivery on Friday gone and they are lovely! I bought some nice bright colours for summer (pinks and reds)... They are so handy! I did they whole of Dublin and couldn't find anything similar. It's great when ur feeding to not have to lift your entire top up but just lift the little flap across the chest.

I then visited the Isabella Oliver site and almost spent more money. Thankfully I got distracted by work (stupid work) and created a wish list only.
    Will try to control my spending for a while yet.
    My parcel was Boob Design has been dispatched and should be with me by the end of the week though! Yazers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

This is a wonderful post :D huge congratulations to you both!!

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for the kind posts! It's great to share with you all here when I can't share with anybody else other than my partner. Considering my age I have to keep the lip zipped! Plus my almost 18 (yes 18) year old daughter is doing her leaving cert next month... what an age gap!!!!!

Thank you so much for the kind posts! It's great to share with you all here when I can't share with anybody else other than my partner. Considering my age I have to keep the lip zipped! Plus my almost 18 (yes 18) year old daughter is doing her leaving cert next month... what an age gap!!!!!

There are 15 years between the oldest and youngest in my family and the two women in question get on brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Penny are you my sister ha. Theres 15 between me and my sis and we are very close.

Suucee wrote: »
    Penny are you my sister ha. Theres 15 between me and my sis and we are very close.

Maybe I am!
    The oldest in my family is 7 years older than me and 15 years older than the youngest. There are 6 of us in all and I'm in the middle batch, 8 years older than the youngest. The three of us that are the closest of all interestingly are the oldest, then me and finally the youngest. Funny how it works out sometimes isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Massive congratulations budwisser, dont worry about age gaps , im the youngest of 4 with age gaps of 18 yrs, 16yrs and 11yrs and then me haha xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Congratulations!I'll have a similar age gap,one month off 19 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Big congrats Budweiser! I was 40 when i got pregnant too but know plenty of 40 somethings who had babies yet, you do worry a bit at the time. Glad to hear of other 40 somethings here!
    :)

BTW, what's the story with sleeping position. While browsing i came across something about needing to sleep on the left. I always sleep on my right and used to on my belly but obviously that's no-go. Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

blood flows better on your left but in my opinion if you are comfortable and can sleep then what ever way is best for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

blood flows better on your left but in my opinion if you are comfortable and can sleep then what ever way is best for you

This - sleep whatever way you feel comfortable. On my first three I was able to sleep on my stomach comfortably and doc said it was fine as long as I was comfortable. On this one though I couldn't and as a result I didn't sleep great at all as it's my usual position! I'm still not able to sleep on my stomach because I had a c section and the scar is very tender :(

Thanks to all the lovely messages of support and ESPECIALLY to know I'm not the only 40 year old pregnant woman out there! I am quite concerned about my age but I'm refusing to give into it and keep searching for those 'other women' who are a similar age so again thank you all! x

This forum will be my bible and I'm enjoying reading over all the chats about sleeping positions, clothes, scans etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

congrats budweiser!

Just back from my ante natal appointment with my local nurse in the GP clinic. She checked urine and blood pressure and weight- all of which are perfect thankfully. She also had a little listen to my baby's heartbeat which was super lovely. It was the first time I heard it and it was so strong and steady and such a relief to hear it.
    Between the little movements that are still taps or pops that come occasionally through the day and hearing that I have fallen head over heels for the little one all over again. It's kinda odd how very quickly you start to fall in love and feel so protective of this little baby you have yet to meet properly and have only had little glimpses of in your scans.
    20 weeks today and have my big scan in 10 days. Feel like a kid at Christmas and think May 23rd will never get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Congratulations Budweiser6.. welcome to the club :D I'm also 40 and this is my 5th baby .. my eldest is doing her junior cert next month and as i'm 13+5 now we told her at the weekend.. She's thrilled and is coming up with names already!! This will be my 1st with my new partner and also his 5th.. so we'll have 9 altogether.. I'm contemplating buying a bus..!!:eek:

cbyrd wrote: »
    Congratulations Budweiser6.. welcome to the club :D I'm also 40 and this is my 5th baby .. my eldest is doing her junior cert next month and as i'm 13+5 now we told her at the weekend.. She's thrilled and is coming up with names already!! This will be my 1st with my new partner and also his 5th.. so we'll have 9 altogether.. I'm contemplating buying a bus..!!:eek:

Wowsers! :eek: Miriam o'callaghan eat your heart out!! :pac: Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Hubbys parents have 4 kids - 29, 22, 15 and 7 years. she was 21 having my husband and 42 having the last. She told me 8 years ago they were either gonna put an extension on the house or have another baby! :)

She had no problems with any of them and all natural births!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

My big scan is tomorrow. Soooo nervous as baby's been pretty quiet today, fingers crossed tomorrow will be perfect!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fred77

Sorry folks if this is the wrong thread but newbie to boards. I've just been assigned to dr. H Rajab Antenatal in Our Lady Of Lourdes ? First pregnancy so have no experience, has anyone got any experience with this doc ? Thanks

Isolt wrote: »
    My big scan is tomorrow. Soooo nervous as baby's been pretty quiet today, fingers crossed tomorrow will be perfect!!! :)

The best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

Are there any overweight mothers to be on here? I was in the process of losing weight when I got pregnant, but am still a few stone overweight and I'm worried it'll cause problems. I haven't actually put any on so far but am envisioning being told off by the doctor at my first scan (not to mention being weighed in front of hubby - the shame!) My appetite is all over the place at the moment so a pregnancy diet would be difficult :(

• Advertisement

Are there any overweight mothers to be on here? I was in the process of losing weight when I got pregnant, but am still a few stone overweight and I'm worried it'll cause problems. I haven't actually put any on so far but am envisioning being told off by the doctor at my first scan (not to mention being weighed in front of hubby - the shame!) My appetite is all over the place at the moment so a pregnancy diet would be difficult :(

When I had my first appointment (the booking appointment that is) at the hospital my husband was asked to wait outside. My blood pressure was taken and I was weighed and measured for my height too. Then they asked me all of my family history and personal health history questions too. They asked a number of times in a number of different ways if I wanted a social worker to make contact with me and if I was in a difficult relationship or home place. I think thats why they ask the fathers (or other family members) to wait outside so as to allow the pregnant woman the chance to answer more honestly if she needs to.
    When I was at my GP for the first appointment (that is the confirmation that I was pregnant) I went on my own and again he took my weight and blood pressure.

They will advise you on a healthy diet not a diet to drop the pounds. If a woman has a bad diet then she will most likely drop some pounds by switching to healthier options anyway. No extra calories are needed in the first trimester and only 300-600max in the second and third.

Advertisement