Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Quick question! I'm going for an eyebrow wax and pedicure at 4.30pm, do you reckon I could get a French pedi on my toenails? Isn't the idea of not wearing polish so that they can keep an eye on the colour of your nails in the event of a section? If so would clear polish be ok do you think? I suppose no point in having a polish if they have to remove it but I quite fancy having the polish done too, thanks!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Merkin wrote: »
    Quick question! I'm going for an eyebrow wax and pedicure at 4.30pm, do you reckon I could get a French pedi on my toenails? Isn't the idea of not wearing polish so that they can keep an eye on the colour of your nails in the event of a section? If so would clear polish be ok do you think? I suppose no point in having a polish if they have to remove it but I quite fancy having the polish done too, thanks!

I think clear might be fine. They had no time to take my toenail polish off. It was purple, but my fingers were unpolished. :)

Brilliant thanks! Lol at the purple! :) I'll chance it with some clear, I suspect it will be fine. Cheers xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I think a clear polish would be ok merkin x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

We were told in antenatal classes that nail varnish is fine as long as it's not Shellac.

• Advertisement

Went for the clear polish in the end, thank you ladies. The pedi was just perfect, so soothing and relaxing on my cankles and sausage toes!! Would really recommend for any of you who are preggers and are suffering with swollen feet at the moment.

Merkin wrote: »
    Went for the clear polish in the end, thank you ladies. The pedi was just perfect, so soothing and relaxing on my cankles and sausage toes!! Would really recommend for any of you who are preggers and are suffering with swollen feet at the moment.

Oh I'd recommend one too! I had two in late pregnancy, and they were amazing!

On a side note, I've always been a size 6 shoe. In the last two weeks of pregnancy, my feet started swelling, but I put up with it - I wasn't going buying new shoes for just another week or two! The thing is, six months later, they're not swollen anymore, but they're definitely not a size 6 anymore ... they're a six and a half. :( Size 7 is way too big on me, size 6 is uncomfortably small. I have two big boxes full of shoes that no longer fit me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Nooooooo!! Don't say that :o I knew it was possible for women to go up a foot size during pregnancy but it hadn't really registered with me. I can't not fit into my favourite shoes!! :p

Jerrica wrote: »
    Nooooooo!! Don't say that :o I knew it was possible for women to go up a foot size during pregnancy but it hadn't really registered with me. I can't not fit into my favourite shoes!! :p

Sure isn't it an excuse for you to go shoe-shopping in a few months! :P

Ah no, most women's feet go back to normal nearly straight away, as far as I know. I'm the exception. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm the exception too. My trainers, work shoes and anything wide fitting still fit me but anything narrow or high heeled - forget it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

My feet are already between an EE and EEEE fit, they better not widen. Hello to all, I'm 12+4 and still getting used to the pregnancy. Having a rough evening tonight. Close family member is very ill (anorexia/depression) and absconded from the hospital for two hours tonight. She's been found thank god but I'm too het up to sleep at this stage.

Your feet will eventually go back to normal girls sometimes it just takes a little while x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

40+1, just managed to hand express some colostrum. I am BEYOND excited, my boobies work :D:D yayyy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Jerrica wrote: »
    40+1, just managed to hand express some colostrum. I am BEYOND excited, my boobies work :D:D yayyy!!!

I had this happen me last week, I leaked.. Trouble is I'm only 23+4 :O ah well.. It is my 5th.. I also went out yesterday and bought my very first ever maternity clothes... 3 tops and some giant belly leggings.. Comfy!! There is a disadvantage to being thinner and pregnant, my bump is bigger than the last 4 and feels like it weighs more. I am so awkward too.. Getting in and out of bed is hilarious.. At least my partner thinks so.. Good job I have a sense of humour! :D
    Wonder how Merkin's getting on.. Any news yet?

Merkin is doing ok gettinp some mild contractions but nothinp major

Aww thanks for thinking of me cybrd! I'm good :) Ranked very low on the Bishop Score yesterday evening so they went with the propess which is a prostaglandin pessary that's kept in for 24 hours to ripen cervix and then reviewed. Monitor showed it started little contractions but nothing I could really feel bar some back ache. They will review this evening whether to insert another one, have a break because it releases for 24 hours after removal anyway or whether to introduce gel. Depends if I've a stroppy cervix I suppose ! In any event I'm comfy, well and happy and one step closer to meeting the man of the moment!!:-) Thanks xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

30 weeks today! Still feeling (mostly) great although the dreaded SPD has reared it's ugly head again.
    I've hit somewhat of a funk over the last two days or so, did any of the rest of you hit the same?
    I've enjoyed my pregnancy a lot, I'm very excited about the baby and while I'm a little in the horrors about labour and birth I know (like millennia of women before me) I'll deal with it and all will be grand I am totally 100% fed up with other peoples opinions on my pregnancy, labour and birth. These opinions are unsolicited entirely, some of the questions are rather inappropriate and inconsiderate and I don't like feeling like public property to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

''Hello, total stranger, nice to meet you. Why, yes, I am heavily pregnant. Er, no, I'd rather not tell you if it was planned or not. Well, because we're in starbucks and it's none of your business, nor is it the Barista's, who I've noticed is earwigging. Yes, it's decaf coffee. No, I'm not constipated or have piles, but thanks for asking loudly. Why, how lovely that you would tell me all about your horrific 26 hour labour - I didn't even have to ask you. Your perineum ripped all the way up to your a**?! That is a charming tale. No, you have my muffin, I'm suddenly not very hungry. Gosh, it's really amazing how much conversation you can fit into the length of time it takes to queue for a coffee and a sandwich, isn't it? Bye bye now. You freak.''

nikpmup wrote: »
    ''Hello, total stranger, nice to meet you. Why, yes, I am heavily pregnant. Er, no, I'd rather not tell you if it was planned or not. Well, because we're in starbucks and it's none of your business, nor is it the Barista's, who I've noticed is earwigging. Yes, it's decaf coffee. No, I'm not constipated or have piles, but thanks for asking loudly. Why, how lovely that you would tell me all about your horrific 26 hour labour - I didn't even have to ask you. Your perineum ripped all the way up to your a**?! That is a charming tale. No, you have my muffin, I'm suddenly not very hungry. Gosh, it's really amazing how much conversation you can fit into the length of time it takes to queue for a coffee and a sandwich, isn't it? Bye bye now. You freak.''

Its like our bumps suddenly turn into a magnetic pull for weirdos and freaks. :(

Got such good news this evening, I'm super excited with it. Friend just told me that she is pregnant and with twins no less!
    So so happy for her. Our babies will be close in age too- only 11/12 weeks in the difference. Love it.

• Advertisement

Thats wonderful news penny

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

hahaha the girl in Spar asked me yesterday 'Do you know what you're having?' with my response being 'oh yes, a baby' felt bad after as it sounded sarcastic but I think with the heat it was starting to get to me!!

pastry2010 wrote: »
    hahaha the girl in Spar asked me yesterday 'Do you know what you're having?' with my response being 'oh yes, a baby' felt bad after as it sounded sarcastic but I think with the heat it was starting to get to me!!

The heat is something else isn't it:( Its not even lunchtime and I want to tear my clothes off and lie down on a tiled floor to ease the heat.
    Would make for an interesting afternoon in work if I did that:eek::D.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

The heat is something else isn't it:( Its not even lunchtime and I want to tear my clothes off and lie down on a tiled floor to ease the heat.
    Would make for an interesting afternoon in work if I did that:eek::D.

I had a cold-ish shower this morning and I def recommend it, I'm usually passing out by the time I get into work but have styed relatively cool all day (so far) I have been getting calf muscle pains today....a new pain...GREAT!!!

pastry2010 wrote: »
    I had a cold-ish shower this morning and I def recommend it, I'm usually passing out by the time I get into work but have styed relatively cool all day (so far) I have been getting calf muscle pains today....a new pain...GREAT!!!

Shower sounds great. I'm gonna do just that as soon as I get home!
    Calf muscle pain
    me too. Had the odd cramp or two there in the mornings the last few weeks and as the days went on the discomfort never quite left fully. Last night, 4:30am MASSIVE cramps, took ages to go and then when they finally stopped I was wide awake of course. :rolleyes:

Growing little tiny humans is hard work!!

Dehydration can cause leg cramps especially at night when the body fluids settle through the body when you're lying down. (the reason you look thinner in the morning..)
    The heat would exacerbate it cos you're dehydrating without doing anything, you need to drink more water when your pregnant anyway, only problem is when I drink bubbly water at night i end up waking to go to the loo!! Vicious circle :rolleyes: Also if you have a stairs you can stretch out the calf muscle a few times a day when you walk up the stairs (step halfway onto the step and drop back your heel) Or a foam roller is great if you have one. My gym trainer advised this a few weeks back..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

cbyrd wrote: »
    Dehydration can cause leg cramps especially at night when the body fluids settle through the body when you're lying down. (the reason you look thinner in the morning..)
    The heat would exacerbate it cos you're dehydrating without doing anything, you need to drink more water when your pregnant anyway, only problem is when I drink bubbly water at night i end up waking to go to the loo!! Vicious circle :rolleyes: Also if you have a stairs you can stretch out the calf muscle a few times a day when you walk up the stairs (step halfway onto the step and drop back your heel) Or a foam roller is great if you have one. My gym trainer advised this a few weeks back..

As well as the above, a glass of tonic water a day is great for combatting cramps. It's not just the dehydration, it's the lack of magnesium, which tonic water can help with. All the ladies in my yoga class swear by it.

I thought that tonic water was not being recommended anymore during pregnancy because of the quinine..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I drank soda water with my two.. Granny swore by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

cbyrd wrote: »
    I thought that tonic water was not being recommended anymore during pregnancy because of the quinine..?

I usually go by the NHS website, which says:

"There is no official advice on the safety of quinine in tonic water in pregnancy, although the FSA recommends sticking to moderate consumption.

Quinine is available in 200g and 300g tablets for use medicinally as an antimalarial. Side effects, including uterine contractions, have been reported in women taking very high doses of quinine tablets, though the effect appears to be mild and quinine is considered to be safe for use in pregnancy as an anti-malaria drug.

Quinine in tonic water is at a much weaker level of approximately 80 mg quinine hydrochloride/L. The safety of quinine as a flavouring in soft drinks has been evaluated by independent expert committees including the WHO and they have concluded that it is safe to use at current levels up to a maximum of 100mg/L. The lowest level of intake at which an adverse effect was observed was an effect on eyesight at 120 mg/day which is equivalent to approximately 1.5 L tonic water. "

Hope I haven't confused or misled anyone.

Advertisement