Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Whispered wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I thought you had to eat in the same way as you do when pregnant, so no alcohol, caffeine, runny/raw eggs, soft cheeses etc.

Millem I've been so lucky so far, I had about a week of extreme sinus pain, to the point I was in tears because I couldn't take anything for it, but otherwise, nothing. I can't imagine how hard it must be to suffer migraine during pregnancy and not be able to take anything.

O god no! That stops once uve had baby! They say caffeine isn't good tho or spicey found can irritate baby. And obviously don't drink when breast feeding (one is fine tho)... But all the other stuff is fine :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Just checked... You can take nurofen when breastfeeding :)... Phew!

Sorry and just to clarify... I meant it ok with breastfeeding... Not during pregnancy obviously. Sorry if I'm being confusing.... But always check with doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Just checked... You can take nurofen when breastfeeding :)... Phew!

You sure can, I was given ibuprofen in hospital at the weekend to help ease the pain of my stitches. You can't take neurofen plus though (the codeine is a no go for bf)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

The nurse at my booking in appointment made me feel so wrong for choosing to bottle feed but it's water off a ducks back really
    Whispered I tried to breast feed on my first and could not get my head around it or manage it at all,none of my family have ever breastfed so I didn't have that encouragement, help or support. When he got very jaundiced the nurses began to encourage me to bottle feed so I had to give up. It takes a strong minded woman to do it, and I have the up most respect for any that do breast feed.
    This time around, I'm gonna be a single mam, so my situation is not perfect, the thoughts of breastfeeding too,not a chance,ill be glad to hand a baby and a bottle to every visitor that arrives ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sorry and just to clarify... I meant it ok with breastfeeding... Not during pregnancy obviously. Sorry if I'm being confusing.... But always check with doc.

The docs told my sis she couldnt. She had those insane headaches you get when there is a mistake with epidural :eek: so I just assumed you couldn't! They were obviously talking rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Mayo Clinic is usually a good site for medical stuff, they say ibuprofen is ok for bf:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/breastfeeding-and-medications/art-20043975?pg=2

I doubt ibuprofen would do much for that insane epidural headache, tbh. I think it is due to a pressure change if some of the spinal fluid leaks a bit, so might be a different kind of pain. I've heard that the main treatment is a blood patch (putting a small amount of your own blood into the epidural space, probably to bring up the fluid pressure).

Mayo Clinic is usually a good site for medical stuff, they say ibuprofen is ok for bf:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/breastfeeding-and-medications/art-20043975?pg=2

I doubt ibuprofen would do much for that insane epidural headache, tbh. I think it is due to a pressure change if some of the spinal fluid leaks a bit, so might be a different kind of pain. I've heard that the main treatment is a blood patch (putting a small amount of your own blood into the epidural space, probably to bring up the fluid pressure).

Yes she had to get that blood patch done but they didn't do it till a week later :( I find nurofen express max (or whatever it's name)amazing for pain etc I wanted to take it instead of my difene after the birth! The crazy headaches were unreal but would you believe she would get an epidural again!!!

Millem wrote: »
    Yes she had to get that blood patch done but they didn't do it till a week later :( I find nurofen express max (or whatever it's name)amazing for pain etc I wanted to take it instead of my difene after the birth! The crazy headaches were unreal but would you believe she would get an epidural again!!!

The poor girl that must have been a tough week!

The poor girl that must have been a tough week!

It was crazy! God love her. She literally couldn't get out of bed and just breastfed. I couldn't cope with that now tbh and I think I would be terrified to get an epi . Next time she wants a section and tells me the epi is done differently so the headache thing won't happen ??????

It was crazy! God love her. She literally couldn't get out of bed and just breastfed. I couldn't cope with that now tbh and I think I would be terrified to get an epi . Next time she wants a section and tells me the epi is done differently so the headache thing won't happen ??????

Em, I don't think so. An epidural is an epidural AFAIK. even if it is a spinal, where they inject one shot of painkiller as opposed to the constant drip for labour, it is still going into the same place in your back, which is the risk. But it doesn't happen to everyone so I don't know the chances of it happening to her again.

I've heard that it is rare but personally it is enough to put me off definitely getting the epi from the get go.

• Advertisement

Em, I don't think so. An epidural is an epidural AFAIK. even if it is a spinal, where they inject one shot of painkiller as opposed to the constant drip for labour, it is still going into the same place in your back, which is the risk. But it doesn't happen to everyone so I don't know the chances of it happening to her again.

I've heard that it is rare but personally it is enough to put me off definitely getting the epi from the get go.

I thought that too? But she tells me it's different? She was adamant it was different for a planned section?? I don't know anything about epidurals as I never had one. In ante natal classes they told us the statistics are like 3%/8% or something like that for there to be a problem like she had so very low.

I thought that too? But she tells me it's different? I don't know anything about epidurals as I never had one. I think the statistics are like 3%/8% or something like that for there to be a problem like she had.

Those are low % alright. I've never had one either, just going by what the anesthesia talk told us. As the chances of getting it are so low anyway, perhaps it is better to just agree with her, no point worrying her over something that may not even happen :)

Those are low % alright. I've never had one either, just going by what the anesthesia talk told us. As the chances of getting it are so low anyway, perhaps it is better to just agree with her, no point worrying her over something that may not even happen :)

Oh gosh yeah! She was getting a bit thick with me when I was like "how is it different !!".

Oh gosh yeah! She was getting a bit thick with me when I was like "how is it different !!".

I can imagine! I get myself into bother sometimes like that, I have to learn to nod-and-smile more :)

I can imagine! I get myself into bother sometimes like that, I have to learn to nod-and-smile more :)

You are so right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

When I was getting epi with no 1 I got such a bad head ache that came on so quick. I honestly thought my head was going to burst. They thought that was what had happened but once baby was born it was ok.
    TBH it did scare me a lot but still had epi with no 2, but had a bit of a panic attack as they were just about to do it.

I think with a planned section they do some spinal block which is just one shot as they know how long you will need to be numb where as with epi it stays in so they can increase / decrease the amount anaesthetic you are getting.

I could be totally wrong on this but from chatting to SIL who had Emergency section first time ( but already had epi in) and had planned section second time where she just had spinal block.

From what I'd heard from the anaesthetist the leak could happen when the needle went in. Perhaps with the spinal as the needle deosn't stay in there, there is less chance of getting leak?

I hope no one with a needle-phobia comes across this discussion!

Suucee wrote: »
    When I was getting epi with no 1 I got such a bad head ache that came on so quick. I honestly thought my head was going to burst. They thought that was what had happened but once baby was born it was ok.
    TBH it did scare me a lot but still had epi with no 2, but had a bit of a panic attack as they were just about to do it.

I think with a planned section they do some spinal block which is just one shot as they know how long you will need to be numb where as with epi it stays in so they can increase / decrease the amount anaesthetic you are getting.

I could be totally wrong on this but from chatting to SIL who had Emergency section first time ( but already had epi in) and had planned section second time where she just had spinal block.

This is what my sis must of been talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I have decided that along with duvet days the world should recognise "Pregnant Women's Crying Days".
    It's weird, I slept fine and all that jazz but the need to cry for absolutely no significant reason at all has come over me this morning!.
    I'm not sad or in a bad mood or anything but the tears seem to be ready to come at any old time for no apparent reason.
    What I'd give to be able to stay at home today. I have lots of things I could get started on that I'm too wrecked to even think about when I get home from work too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Three years on & I'm back over here, cautiously anyway, only tested positive at the weekend. All going well I'll be due April 6th.
    Boobs are at the really sore stage & having waves of sickness & some stretching pain but otherwise am fine, can't sit around feeling too sorry for myself this time round as I have a 2.5 yr old to run after:D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Hi All,

I always read through the pregnancy threads with so much envy!!

Delighted for all of you but wish I could join the gang. I discuss it with my OH all the time. I'm 25 and he's 31, we're engaged, living together and hoping to buy our own home soon.

Every month we discuss not taking birth control but I bottle it !, I'm terrified that it might not happen for us and terrified if it did where we would live etc etc etc.

So, I need to know for those who've planned.... how did you pluck up the courage to just go for it??

Were you financially secure? Or did it just feel right?

Thanks!

Sadderday wrote: »
    Hi All,

I always read through the pregnancy threads with so much envy!!

Delighted for all of you but wish I could join the gang. I discuss it with my OH all the time. I'm 25 and he's 31, we're engaged, living together and hoping to buy our own home soon.

Every month we discuss not taking birth control but I bottle it !, I'm terrified that it might not happen for us and terrified if it did where we would live etc etc etc.

So, I need to know for those who've planned.... how did you pluck up the courage to just go for it??

Were you financially secure? Or did it just feel right?

Thanks!

Sadderday god only knows how many years away the "perfect" time is? We still rent and have "buying" the perfect house for gosh 5 years!!!! And let's face it with the bubble in dublin we could be waiting another while! we just went for it because I wanted to have our first child before I was 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Is there ever the perfect time to have a baby x our 1st was a wonderful surprise we were engaged and planning our wedding renting a house we were both working but wouldn't say financially secure, since then we have a 2nd which was planned we are now married still renting but now I'm only workhor part time don't care about money now all that's important is spending time with my children and when I go back after maternity leave this time if I can get less hours again I'll take it

Thanks,

Just another question.... I'm am absolutely freaked, I have it in my head that I won't be able to concieve. I've never been able to see myself pregnant but of course we would both love to have a family.

Did anyone else have that fear ? I think i'm too afraid to try incase I can't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

You should also take into consideration the fact that if you are on the pill, it can take quite a while after stopping before you ovulate again. In my case, it was almost a year and then nearly another 2 before I became pregnant . Then again, you could ovulate and fall pregnant straight away :) Like the others said, is there ever a perfect time to have a baby? Neither of us are what I would call financially stable but the way we reckoned it was that both of our parents reared their families while earning less and if they could manage then so could we :D

You should also take into consideration the fact that if you are on the pill, it can take quite a while after stopping before you ovulate again. In my case, it was almost a year and then nearly another 2 before I became pregnant . Then again, you could ovulate and fall pregnant straight away :) Like the others said, is there ever a perfect time to have a baby? Neither of us are what I would call financially stable but the way we reckoned it was that both of our parents reared their families while earning less and if they could manage then so could we :D

Fair play to you, I'm on the pill and have been for 6 years or so.

I know it can take time... just so weird to not take my pill.... the control you have over your body is gone and your just hoping for the best!

It took us 6 months, I was getting worried tbh. Sadderday you still have age on your side :) I want two kids but with a gap my cut off age for me is 33/34 although my OH will say 35/36!

It took us 6 months, I was getting worried tbh. Sadderday you still have age on your side :) I want two kids but with a gap my cut off age for me is 33/34 although my OH will say 35/36!

Thanks all,

I figured these thoughts were so worrying that there must be something my body is telling me... like it's not gonna happen!!

I've been taking my pill properly but still feeling down when I get my period... at this point in my life... after all them years trying to avoid it... an accidental pregnancy would be amazing !!!!! :)

I admire you all for sticking with it, I know the wait would get me down, I'm sure it wasn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Not being able to conceive is probably at the back of everyone's mind I am overweight and had myself convinced that would never have kids our 1st we weren't trying our 2nd was planned and it took 7months to conceive

Best of luck with whatever ye decide x

• Advertisement

Sadderday sure no harm in starting your folic acid now "just in case" ;)

Advertisement