Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Maybe it varies in different hospitals, I've done the test 3 times and I've been given the guidelines written in the pack. 'No fluids or foods (except water)for 12 hours prior to the test. ' I've never not been able to drink water before it. As I said, different hospitals might have different rules, but I can't see how water afftects blood sugar reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was also told no water, in the coombe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I rang them this evening for clarification and was told no food or water from the night before. Knew I wasn't imagining it! Still don't understand how water could affect things but best do as I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

For those who had Ogtt in coombe, was lucozade energy original ok to bring for test?

That's the fizzy red one right?

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    That's the fizzy red one right?

Yea?!

That's what you're supposed to bring. Lovely brekkie :pac:

Oh and you've probably been told you get a breakfast? You get two slices of brown bread. Not a breakfast, not toast, not nice soda bread. Brown sliced pan and flora. And a cup of tea. So if you find fasting difficult, I'd recommend bringing something you'd like or treat yourself to a costa brekkie (there is one across the road from the hospital).

Oh and you've probably been told you get a breakfast? You get two slices of brown bread. Not a breakfast, not toast, not nice soda bread. Brown sliced pan and flora. And a cup of tea. So if you find fasting difficult, I'd recommend bringing something you'd like or treat yourself to a costa brekkie (there is one across the road from the hospital).

Yes will prob be ready for something more substantial than that.. Thanks for advice x

Lucky u, they just fire u out of drogheda!! I pack a lunchbox going to all my appointment now, usually cos I have my 2 youngest with me too and its amazing how much some crackers and bananas can distract them :D I was over at the diabetic clinic one thursday and I had to see the dietitian have bloods and a scan.. Got there for 9am and I got out at half 3 ..!

That sounds like such a long day!! I've been lucky in that I've only had to go to the coombe for my dating scan, one consultant appointment and anatomy scan. The waits for them were terrible but the GTT rang like clockwork. In at 8:15 and out three hours later after the last test.

To be honest I rather they not tell you you're going to get a breakfast if you're not. I was totally unprepared and starving, having fasted for about 16hours the bread was stomach turning.

Quick question: am I being unreasonable here, each coombe appointment I have had, I have to wait at the bus stop right outside the hospital on my way home. Twice, a bunch of people who work in the hospital (I don't know in what capacity, all different uniforms) came out and sat in the bus stop to smoke, meaning the pregnant women got off the bench and leave the stop to avoid breathing in the smoke. I'm not talking about on wet days or anything. Last time I was there my hips were killing me, so the seat was hugely appreciated! members of staff sat either side of me and sparked up, my choice was to sit and have smoke blown all over me or leave my seat. So hormonal overreaction to be annoyed, considering they are entitled to do what they want in a public stop, or justified to think it shows disregard for the people they are employed to care for?

(Btw I'm aware that occasionally breathing in smoke is unlikely to cause harm but the smell is awful when you're a non smoker too)

• Advertisement

Blood sugars were high. Arse. Doing a low-sugar diet for a week to rule out dietary causes then back in for a recheck :(

Dolbert wrote: »
    Blood sugars were high. Arse. Doing a low-sugar diet for a week to rule out dietary causes then back in for a recheck :(

Did you get a diet to follow ?

Nope. Just told me over the phone to avoid white bread, refined sugars, too much fruit etc. Tbh it's all stuff I'm doing already. Though they said they'd write to me so maybe they'll give more info then

Dolbert wrote: »
    Nope. Just told me over the phone to avoid white bread, refined sugars, too much fruit etc. Tbh it's all stuff I'm doing already. Though they said they'd write to me so maybe they'll give more info then

Yeah, the fun starts! :eek: cereals, rices, pastas, potatoes, breads (even brown or wholegrain) crackers, granolas,
    Any or all the of the above should be cut right down,
    Cakes, fizzy drinks, cordials, sweets, biscuits, jams, honey, syrups, icecream, sweets, chocolate, sweetened coffees, breakfast bars, health store alternative bars are all out :D
    feeling healthier yet?
    Bulk up on the proteins, especially at breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, (preferably grilled). You won't get away with porridge or cereal or toast, it sounds healthy but they send the blood sugars mental. Add lots of veg and bigger protein portions to your dinner plate and have a salad bowl on the table too, it's good for the feeling of deprivation when you're losing out on the carbs.
    Half a banana is one portion of fruit, 4-6 grapes or a small handful of berries, 1 apple/orange etc.,that's the in between meal snacks for a sweet hit with a yogurt. Nuts are great too for a stave off the hunger without affecting the blood sugars, or throw some into the salads.
    Don't use the artificial sweetened alternatives, aspartame actually increases the craving for sugar.
    It sounds so restrictive but after a few days you really do feel much brighter and energetic and hopefully you'll pass the next test!! :D

Thanks cbyrd. I cut way back on carbs a while back and lots loads of weight, found it quite enjoyable most of the time. Today's food featured mostly salad, eggs, protein, nuts and Greek yoghurt :) Oh, and almost no heartburn - a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

On phone so can't start a new thread for some reason. Hospital bag(s) query.

I have 2 bags packed - one for me and one for baby. Some people suggest a separate bag for delivery room eg what mam wears for birth and one outfit and nappy for baby. What is the process from arrival to hospital to discharge and how to manage stuff? Do you go to labour ward first and get into normal bedwear first and then change into birth gear when you move to delivery room? Where do your main bags go, left in labour ward or do you take everything with you? I'm public so sharing ward so conscious of minding stuff as well. When you have baby are you straight back to labour ward for shower, change or does that happen in delivery room? Just trying to imagine how it all pans out. Obviously I'm have too much time on my hands - 40 WKS + 1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I'm just 5 weeks pregnant and having some spotting today. It's very light brown discharge. I had the same the day before I got my positive test (well it was a bit darker) and I presumed it was inplantation bleeding. I'm feeling fine, still nauseous and have other pregnancy symptoms and not in pain (apart from a dull backache and the kind of cramps I've been getting the last few weeks)

I can only hope it's remnants of the implantation bleeding and nothing is wrong. I never bled once on my first pregnancy. It's definitely not bright red blood anyway.

What's the protocol here? Do I need to get checked out? I was going to wait to see if it stops first. I've actually no idea what to do in this situation! It's a bit scary.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

nuttykat wrote: »
    For those who had Ogtt in coombe, was lucozade energy original ok to bring for test?

Do they make you bring in your own glucose for the test?? :eek: At mine they gave me vile stuff but at least they provided it. Didnt get offered breakfast though, but treated myself after in the nice cafe across the road.
    73trix wrote: »
    On phone so can't start a new thread for some reason. Hospital bag(s) query.

I have 2 bags packed - one for me and one for baby. Some people suggest a separate bag for delivery room eg what mam wears for birth and one outfit and nappy for baby. What is the process from arrival to hospital to discharge and how to manage stuff? Do you go to labour ward first and get into normal bedwear first and then change into birth gear when you move to delivery room? Where do your main bags go, left in labour ward or do you take everything with you? I'm public so sharing ward so conscious of minding stuff as well. When you have baby are you straight back to labour ward for shower, change or does that happen in delivery room? Just trying to imagine how it all pans out. Obviously I'm have too much time on my hands - 40 WKS + 1 now.

These might help you out.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1092&query=hospital+bag

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80445891

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Awake with back pain . Have had a bit the past couple of days but first time it has kept me awake. Did any of you experience back pain as the start of labour? #waitinginanticipation.

73trix wrote: »
    Awake with back pain . Have had a bit the past couple of days but first time it has kept me awake. Did any of you experience back pain as the start of labour? #waitinginanticipation.

I did with 2 of mine.. here's hoping! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The bags have to traipsed around with you. My advice (if you're still here!), pack what you can for you and baby after birth into one bag and leave extra at home for your partner to bring in. One bag for labour for you and baby. Leave the first bag in the car until you are on the ward and your partner can go and get it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I've entered a state of almost complete denial about being pregnant, it's interesting :) This week I have been fine, so have been going about life as normal, not talking about it, not really paying attention when my husband says anything about it, absolutely zero desire to tell anyone about it. It's probably the most peaceful I've felt since we found out 6 weeks ago. I'm quite enjoying it really, I was getting so worked up worrying about everything that for now it's nice to be fine and not be thinking about all the what ifs.

I'm not worried about feeling this at all, but has anyone else been like this, or is it completely normal and I've just never heard of it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I'm like that 99% of the time about my pregnancy . I don't want discussing it with people but usually cos it turns into advice or horror stories I don't wanna hear,or a discussion on bump size,what I'm having etc etc.

altho sometimes like today I just wish people namely family would realise I'm not myself and not able for what I usually am!

I'm like that 99% of the time about my pregnancy . I don't want discussing it with people but usually cos it turns into advice or horror stories I don't wanna hear,or a discussion on bump size,what I'm having etc etc.

altho sometimes like today I just wish people namely family would realise I'm not myself and not able for what I usually am!

Yeah it's nice now "ignoring" it, no stress, just waiting until 12 week scan. I'll have to tell my parents soon for a few reasons, and I really would prefer not to, with my nice denial thing I feel really flippant about it and they probably won't believe me because I'll say it so lightly.

I know what you mean about avoiding telling people because of "advice", much as I really love my inlaws and they will be so happy every time I see my mil or sisters in law I know they'll fawn all over me and ask me questions and see if I'm "doing ok" and all that, can't handle it. The same with some friends, I know I'll get constant texts from one asking how I am, which is very sweet of her, but will bore me :p

ah I don't have that problem,I've plenty of miles between me and my inlaws :D

enjoy these few weeks of blissful peace would be my advice . I had to tell people early on in my pregnancy cos I had fertility treatment and a few people knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I feel bad for this baby cos I'm more or less ignoring this pregnancy other than taking my vitamins & going to hospital appointments.
    With my first I couldn't get enough of reading up on each weeks developments, buying things etc. I had everything for baby no.1 & a nursery decorated by 16 weeks, I've done nothing for this poor child.
    Dunno if it's because I'm so sick & tired this time round so I just lack any motivation, at this rate this baby will be sleeping in a drawer, wrapped in a tea towel :P

My poor husband, bless him, the one in this that I thought would be freaking out and in denial. He suggested a cute way to tell his family that he had planned all day at work, and I just said "Why? Must we talk about this NOW? I'm over it" :o Such a cow lol. Then he had the audacity to refer to it as a baby, I call it "it" or "this thing", can't be dealing with the thoughts of an actual baby :eek:

It was the same here with me practically ignoring it. My pregnancy was a major surprise and I found it hard to accept its real at first. But my husband was delighted from day one. He has referred to the baby as "he" from the start, even though he keeps saying it would be lovely to have a girl (we have two male dogs and a male cat so I'm the only girl in the house :) )

He'd say things like how he can't wait to watch ET with the baby or he can wait to bring the baby walking with the dogs etc. I just couldn't get my head around it.

I felt like I was weird, cold, unfeeling. Really though I think what was happening was he was excited about the idea of a baby while I was thinking about the realities of being pregnant. We are pretty much on the same page now though. Pretty much :)

• Advertisement

I think it's very unfair the way women are afraid to say if they are feeling anything other than warm fuzzy happiness, for fear of being seen as not maternal, cold, unloving. I think it's perfectly reasonable that if pregnancy has come as a shock/surprise it is a massive, terrifying event, I find it odd actually when women are just beaming and delighted, I always think it must be lovely to be so naive and optimistic :o If somebody asked me to commit to anything for the rest of my life with less than a years notice I think I'd be entitled to get a bit worked up about it!

A couple of nights ago at a dinner with friends and their kids their youngest just whinged a bit at the table (we were in restaurant) and my husband very quietly said to me "All of that to look forward to", I shot him such a look, I don't know why he can't leave me in peace in my little cocoon of denial! :p

Advertisement