Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Hey, just wondering how many weeks make what months? I am 24 weeks and thought that was 5 and a half months, is that right? Then I saw something on pintrest that said that 24 weeks was six months. As in, when you get to 36 weeks you are then 9 months pregnant :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Six of One wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering how many weeks make what months? I am 24 weeks and thought that was 5 and a half months, is that right? Then I saw something on pintrest that said that 24 weeks was six months. As in, when you get to 36 weeks you are then 9 months pregnant :confused:
    Pregnancy lasts 40 weeks

Right. What I meant was are you 9 months pregnant at 36 weeks, or at 40 weeks?

Right. What I meant was are you 9 months pregnant at 36 weeks, or at 40 weeks?

The months technically don't matter as all scans and check ups are worked out on a week count basis
    You're due date is also on the 40 week time frame

I understand that pregnancy lasts 40 weeks and that my due date is on week 40. I understand that the scans at 12 weeks and 20 weeks are based on weeks. I was just wondering how that converts to months. It's often easier to tell people how many months you are when they ask rather than make them do mental maths. Also, I was just interested as to how others counted this, I assumed it was one way but maybe its another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've been treating the months as calendar months, rather than '4 weeks = a month'.

Dolbert wrote: »
    I've been treating the months as calendar months, rather than '4 weeks = a month'.

Yes that's the best thing to do

Don't tell too many people you're due date as you will be plagued with texts and calls
    Have you had it yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I understand that pregnancy lasts 40 weeks and that my due date is on week 40. I understand that the scans at 12 weeks and 20 weeks are based on weeks. I was just wondering how that converts to months. It's often easier to tell people how many months you are when they ask rather than make them do mental maths. Also, I was just interested as to how others counted this, I assumed it was one way but maybe its another.

The thing is though that other people don't really care on a week-by-week basis ... if I was 24 weeks pregnant, I'd just say six months anyways, I'd round the number of weeks to the nearest number of months! In medical terms it's measured by weeks, months aren't used at all. But in conversation, I'd just tell people roughly what month I was at. I'd have always known in my own head how many weeks I was at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I always went by the date my period was due, 1st day I missed was 1 month, so every month on the 6th I'm 1 month further on.. makes sense in my head anyway :D So yesterday I was 8 months, although I'm not due til the 13th i disregard this as extra cos I'll probably go 2 weeks over anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all, I'm 30 weeks pregnant and this morning I lost a part of my mucus plug. It wasn't blood-tinged or anything but should I be worried? I've heard mixed things. Seeing the GP later anyway but just curious if it's happened to anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

TMI, we cant give you any advice here as medical advice is not permitted. Please call your GP or midwife.

TMI maybe wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm 30 weeks pregnant and this morning I lost a part of my mucus plug. It wasn't blood-tinged or anything but should I be worried? I've heard mixed things. Seeing the GP later anyway but just curious if it's happened to anyone else

Same happened to me at 32 weeks
    Gp told me I was about to go into labour, up to maternity emergency room and the doctor there told me they don't worry about the mucus plug
    That's just my own experience but do get it checked out, they will probably advise a scan to check baby
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Went back to Slimming World today after being away for 10 weeks as I was too sick to go, I was up 9.5lbs, apparently I wasn't too sick to eat for the last 10 weeks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I searched this topic on this thread but all the answers it's bringing up are nearly 2 years old. The flu vaccine, does getting it make you a bit sick for a few days, or is it just luck if it does or doesn't? How do you arrange to get it, do you book it with your gp? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I wouldn't have really considered getting it but after being hit with a vomiting bug a couple of weeks ago which I assume was down to my lowered immune system there is no way in hell I'm risking getting very sick again in the near future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I just got a text from my hospital today saying to book with the GP. My baby will be born in winter so definitely getting it.

I assume I can ask things like this at my 12 week scan next week? Not sure what happens at it other than the scan but they go through info too yes? There is too much to know! Never mind the fact that we will have to sneak into the hospital hoping we don't see anyone we know even though we have no idea where we're going in there, gotta love small towns :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

When you get the flu vaccine you could get some mild flu symptoms for a day or two but nausea/sickness would be unusual. Some pharmacies can do the flu vaccine now as well, it can be cheaper than GP. I'm hoping my cold goes soon, really want to get the vaccine before holidays

When you get the flu vaccine you could get some mild flu symptoms for a day or two but nausea/sickness would be unusual. Some pharmacies can do the flu vaccine now as well, it can be cheaper than GP. I'm hoping my cold goes soon, really want to get the vaccine before holidays

Oh yeah I know I wouldn't get nausea/sickness, I just don't want to get sick again in any way shape or form any time soon. If I'm travelling abroad should I get it before then?

Oh yeah I know I wouldn't get nausea/sickness, I just don't want to get sick again in any way shape or form any time soon. If I'm travelling abroad should I get it before then?

The earlier the better, just so you're covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I just got my flu jab there today . The midwife in my go said it to me ages back so I had a bit of time to research it.

• Advertisement

Can I pick the brains of those ladies who are going or have recently gone to the Coombe. I have my first Consultants appointment on Friday & I was just wondering what the procedure is when queuing. SIL said you get a numbered ticket when you queue up for your file but as I already have my file would I still need to queue anyway for a ticket?? SIL had her baby 2 years ago so dunno if things have changed.
    I did the Domino scheme last time so never went to the hospital for any of my appointments, I'm a bit in the dark as to what I should be doing:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes you still need to check in and they give you a number then, was there last year :)

January wrote: »
    Yes you still need to check in and they give you a number then, was there last year :)

Great January, thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Although the number is just for your BP and urine sample at the midwives, they'll take your chart then and put it in with the consultants others and you'll be called to the consultant by name.

Grand, I just didn't want to be sitting there thinking I was queuing for bp etc. only to realise after awhile that you needed a number & then have to go & queue for that.
    I feel like I'm on my first, all this hospital stuff is new to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Hi ladies :) I'm delighted to be back after a long time away! 10w 2d now and my 1st antenatal is on Friday :) I haven't fully caught up yet. It's hard with 2 little boys taking up all my time hehe x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Congratulations Tigeress!

Welcome back Tigeress, congrats on the new baba, hope you & your boys are well.

Had my first pregnancy yoga session tonight, was really good.Instructor has some good info on VBAC & how to prepare for it so looking forward to going again :)

Hi ladies, I'm in for anti d on Monday in the rotunda. Does anyone know is it just straightforward, like getting a flu jab? I'll be heading in alone and then straight to work, assume that's okay?

• Advertisement

Hi ladies, I'm in for anti d on Monday in the rotunda. Does anyone know is it just straightforward, like getting a flu jab? I'll be heading in alone and then straight to work, assume that's okay?

I haven't had it but a friend did - they had to stay for 30-40 mins afterwards being monitored just in case there was a reaction to it but then could leave no problem

Advertisement