Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Lmp would be more accurate until your early scan I'd have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Lmp would be more accurate until your early scan I'd have thought

You're right. You'd think I'd know that given that its not my first time out. As I said my last cycle was a little odd and I'm a little confused as to when conception actually took place given the OPK readings.
    Still doesn't matter as the outcome has been just want I (hadn't quite dared) hoped for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭br2015

Hi all, can I ask if anyone knows what is the story with the white card provided for your free GP maternity visits? I registered my pregnancy with my GP about 6 weeks ago and had to pay the normal charge but I filled out the application form and my GP said that I would get a letter in the post with a card and to bring that to subsequent appointments so I won't have to pay.

I haven't heard a thing and plan to visit my GP as she suggested in about another 4 weeks time, I was a bit annoyed having to pay to confirm my pregnancy and I want to make sure I don't have to pay next time. Does the card usually take a while to be posted out or should I contact the GP's receptionist to see what the story is?

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No card needed at our doctors practice for any of our three. The first visit was paid on all three occasions though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

No card here either, just filled out form at first visit. Didn't pay for the first visit, I guess this is at the discretion of the individual GP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I didn't get a card either, I did get a letter at about 20wks which confirmed I am eligible for the scheme.

I didn't pay for my confirmation visit which surprised me.

Supercell wrote: »
    No card needed at our doctors practice for any of our three. The first visit was paid on all three occasions though.
    No card here either, just filled out form at first visit. Didn't pay for the first visit, I guess this is at the discretion of the individual GP?
    I didn't get a card either, I did get a letter at about 20wks which confirmed I am eligible for the scheme.

I didn't pay for my confirmation visit which surprised me.

Same for me. I didn't pay for my first vist which was before I went next or near a hospital. I was given a white card at the hospital which I took with me to the GP visits (did shared care) and the hospital ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭br2015

Thanks everyone for your replies and help. Ironically the white card and letter confirming I had been accepted for free maternity care was there when I got home from work yesterday. The white card looks very useful and I will be taking it to all my consultant and GP appointments.

Slightly annoyingly though, the letter said I was entitled to 7 free GP visits with the first being before 12 weeks so GPs shouldn't charge really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Newlook currently giving 15% off online with code FRIGHT15 for anyone in the market for some maternity wear :D

So I had an early scan on Tuesday afternoon and everything is looking good so far. It was so nice to see the little one's heartbeating away super fast, its like the wings on a humming bird.

The exhaustion is killing me at the moment. I'm coming from a poor baseline anyway as I have RA which I'm only starting to get under control and I also have a lovely 13 month old daughter that I'm running around after. Thankfully I only work a 3 day week now.
    I go to bed at night exhausted and just as with my daughter I wake up at some silly time in the morning and find it so hard to get back to sleep.
    My nausea is also pretty bad this time around, worse than before I think. Yesterday was such a hard day. Thankfully I was on a day off and my little one was with her childminder anyway so I had a day to myself to lie on the couch on concentrate on not throwing up.
    I am 7+2 - roll on second trimester and the end of all this carry on.

• Advertisement

Ah Penny, delighted to hear your good news. I have been following your posts and am really excited for you.

Sorry to hear about the naseau, I can offer no helpful advice as I have tried everything and am still sick daily at 29 wks.

Looking forward to more good news updates from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Congrats Penny I'm delighted for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Probably a stupid question, but is there a difference between a regular 12 week scan and an NT scan? Living abroad at the moment and went for an 12 week scan yesterday which was an NT scan, thought it was standard, my insurance called me after to say its not covered as its considered screening. Bit confused, this is my first time getting this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For me (on the NHS in London so all free anyway) it was done at the 12 week scan but considered optional, you can refuse the NT measurements and blood test for Downs screening. Your insurance is probably assuming that the 12 week scan is only a dating scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Thanks Rainbow, I wish they would have just told me it was optional and not standard. I'm in Dubai so its all private, I have maternity cover, but apparently this is hardly ever covered by insurance, which they tell me afterwards. It leaves me nearly 300e out of pocket which is not ideal! Trying to arrange to pay the difference between the two scans but doubt that will be a runner and they won't tell me the difference. Not back there for another few weeks so will have to wait and see. Will be more careful in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I'm back with a very surprising 3rd pregnancy approx 8 weeks Lovely little surprise though x

I'm back with a very surprising 3rd pregnancy approx 8 weeks Lovely little surprise though x

Congrats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Thanks little miss cutie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Hi guys this is a bit of a long shot but I've tried a few communities now and getting nothing! Has anyone had any experience with circumvallate placenta? Its rare I'm told and would love to hear of other mummies who have experienced this! I'm 22 weeks pregnant on baby number 3.

Meaghers pharmacy are having a winter sale. Reductions on some mother and baby stuff including medula breast pumps and accessories, for anyone interested!

Code Tara gets you a further 5% off :)

https://www.meagherspharmacy.ie/mother-and-child/breastfeeding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Probably a stupid question, but well since my wife got pregnant she has became really moody, like anything sets her off and she wont talk to me for hours. I feel like Im walking on egg shells around her.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but well since my wife got pregnant she has became really moody, like anything sets her off and she wont talk to me for hours. I feel like Im walking on egg shells around her.

How far gone is she? Mood swings are very common in first trimester but 2nd should get better . 3rd is a nightmare! Do nice things for her . keep the house tidy and smelling good! Smells are really important lol invest in a nice Yankee candle for her! Be sympathetic . I know that might be hard when you feel like you have done nothing wrong but it will help keep the peace .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

How far gone is she? Mood swings are very common in first trimester but 2nd should get better . 3rd is a nightmare! Do nice things for her . keep the house tidy and smelling good! Smells are really important lol invest in a nice Yankee candle for her! Be sympathetic . I know that might be hard when you feel like you have done nothing wrong but it will help keep the peace .

Shes 21 weeks, So Im guessing shes in 2nd, I understand her going through a lot so Ill definitely try be more sympathetic

astonaidan wrote: »
    Shes 21 weeks, So Im guessing shes in 2nd, I understand her going through a lot so Ill definitely try be more sympathetic

Were just nuts! I kinda got better from about 24 but I'm kinda getting a bit cranky now again at 28. My husband is very laid back so I'm lucky ! Most men would have kicked me out the back with the dog at this stage lol

I'm just speaking from my own experience but they best way I can explain it is there is so much Chaos on the inside that you need everything on the outside to be calm! Mess is a big stresser for me at the moment! And bad smells! I lose my reason if my husband farts near me lol

BTW this is my 3rd pregnancy so he has had some practice at turning my voice k to white noise 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mood swings are definitely a pregnancy trait but if she's being overly moody or just being an idiot pull her up on it. It's not fair for you to be walking on egg shells all the time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Just had a meltdown over housework. Oh has hoovered washed clothes and is currently ironing,now I feel bad but like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders . It's only housework. I've only got 6 weeks left. I dunno how either of us has put up with practically two years straight of hormonal Mammy but I'm defo looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Just had a meltdown over housework. Oh has hoovered washed clothes and is currently ironing,now I feel bad but like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders . It's only housework. I've only got 6 weeks left. I dunno how either of us has put up with practically two years straight of hormonal Mammy but I'm defo looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel

I wish I was there lol I have 12 weeks left although I went about 2 weeks early on my other 2 so could be 10! I hope lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I wish I was there lol I have 12 weeks left although I went about 2 weeks early on my other 2 so could be 10! I hope lol

God I still have 14 left and I feel mahooosive! Although I'm in the coombe this morn for my GTT test (dads diabetic) and I'm astonished at the varying sizes of women. You couldn't predict their gestation based on size.

yellow hen wrote: »
    God I still have 14 left and I feel mahooosive! Although I'm in the coombe this morn for my GTT test (dads diabetic) and I'm astonished at the varying sizes of women. You couldn't predict their gestation based on size.

Ah we won't feel it now . I'm so unprepared this time I'll prob get to the end and be begging baby to stay put until I'm ready! That's what I'm hoping. The countdown at the end is absolute torture! Willing every twinge to get worse. Probably the only time in your life you want to feel pain :-P

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote: »

Can't believe you're so far along YH, where is the time going??? Hope you and bump are doing well!

Advertisement