Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Digs wrote: »
    Can't believe you're so far along YH, where is the time going??? Hope you and bump are doing well!

Yeah I'm good. Lots of funny aches and pains that weren't there last time but in general, I'm good. You must be similar in dates to me, no? I'm due to finish work on the first friday of april but already I'm thinking that I'm going to be looking to go in early March. My son has a huge speech delay and is waiting on a HSE assessment of need and I just want to try and give lots of time and attention to him when I can. I know that's nothing got to do with my job, and I normally never take sick leave but this time, I really hope to get signed out early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

yellow hen wrote: »
    Yeah I'm good. Lots of funny aches and pains that weren't there last time but in general, I'm good. You must be similar in dates to me, no? I'm due to finish work on the first friday of april but already I'm thinking that I'm going to be looking to go in early March. My son has a huge speech delay and is waiting on a HSE assessment of need and I just want to try and give lots of time and attention to him when I can. I know that's nothing got to do with my job, and I normally never take sick leave but this time, I really hope to get signed out early.

Oh no I'm a bit behind you this time, I'm only 18 weeks! Tiredness this time round is something else.

I find my GP only too willing to sign off in pregnancy so I'm sure you'll have no problem. Quality time before baby arrives with your little guy would no doubt do you and him the world of good. Hope you get some good support for him from the HSE and he starts improving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi everyone. So, I spent twenty five minutes in Marks and Spencer's at lunch trying to find something for lunch and left with a packet of crisps a yogurt and a headache! I know the safe food guidelines regarding food from deli counters but are things like pre packed hummus and carrot sticks or even a premade sandwich off limits?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Prepacked stuff is fine. Stuff from a reputable deli is also fine. Its the ones that might have less than stellar food safety awareness are the ones to avoid.

Food poisoning is more common in the home than from food being prepared professionally. But all the same, food poisoning is not that common, especially when you take out the food-poisoning-but-it-was-really-the-drink types of 'food poisoning' that some people claim to have.

Even then, a lot of things that will give you a dodgy tummy wont harm the baby - it will just knock YOU for six. Some forms of rarer food poisoning can harm the baby, such as listeria, but you'd be wanting to be eating pretty dodgy stuff from a pretty dodgy place to get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. So, I spent twenty five minutes in Marks and Spencer's at lunch trying to find something for lunch and left with a packet of crisps a yogurt and a headache! I know the safe food guidelines regarding food from deli counters but are things like pre packed hummus and carrot sticks or even a premade sandwich off limits?

If I get a pre-made I toast it which my gp said was fine.

I have stayed away from pre-made hummus cause I can't heat it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Thanks for the replies. You're so right neyite and being honest that's the approach I usually take, even when I'm not pregnant. Had momentary lapse of common sense/judgement!! Thanks for the reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Hi all I am 19 weeks and I swear I have never been so anxious in my life this is my first baby. Yesterday my cheeks looked a little on the red blotchy side and I convinced myself I had slapped cheek syndrome well the doctor laughed me out of the surgery.

Just looking for any mums who've had a fast first labour and went onto have more children. My first labour was really quick. I went from not being in labour to 0-8cm in less than an hour and she was born within the hour after that. I remember the midwife just afterwards at the time telling me not to hang about on getting to the hospital number two! To be honest I think I was in shock at that stage aswell, could not get my head around what was after happening!

It's been mentioned by my consultant at my last two visits, the speed at which my first came and it's playing on my mind lately, especially now considering we have number one to think about when the time comes.

In general did people find second labours to be even quicker? I know anything can happen but just wondering what the general feeing is!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know of a couple of people who have had similar on both and lived to tell the tale:)

My own first was a bit longer than you - 6 hours start to finish. My second is due any day and yes - the staff as a whole and my GP have said labour should/will be shorter and to get in to hospital fairly lively. The added wrinkle for me is that I need antibiotics for Strep B and the longer I can have them going into me, the better for me and the baby. So there will be no hanging around here.

Like you it's playing on my mind though, because we have no.1 to think of. Even with family in the local area, I could be hanging around up to 1.5 hours I think, waiting for OH and babysitters to show before I get out of the house - if labour is 4-5 hours for me, that's a fair chunk of time.

Have the local garda/fire brigade number handy on your phone, is the other thing. I'm in the Rotunda and due around St Patrick's day, and the streets there are already bad enough due to the Luas works. Praying it doesn't happen during rush hour.

I don't think there's anything else that can be done....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭missymad

Just looking for any mums who've had a fast first labour and went onto have more children. My first labour was really quick. I went from not being in labour to 0-8cm in less than an hour and she was born within the hour after that. I remember the midwife just afterwards at the time telling me not to hang about on getting to the hospital number two! To be honest I think I was in shock at that stage aswell, could not get my head around what was after happening!

It's been mentioned by my consultant at my last two visits, the speed at which my first came and it's playing on my mind lately, especially now considering we have number one to think about when the time comes.

In general did people find second labours to be even quicker? I know anything can happen but just wondering what the general feeing is!

Hi I've had 3 babies on my first I was induced and went quick enough for first baby like you on my second I was in there an hour nd he popped out they hadn't anything ready then on my third I was induced 2 weeks before my date but when I went into labour ward I was told I wasn't in established labour and was told because I was in so much pain I'd better get an epidural as I wouldn't have her till they next day, I turned to my partner and said this is how I felt just before I had my boys low and behold I was checked a few min later and I was 4cm and she flew out 9 min later. So literally had her 15 min after being told I wasn't in labour. They got a shock were handing my partner things to hold and all.. I had told my midwife my waters broke in between and she didn't believe me. Hope that helps a little bit. Just be ready. I'm on my fourth now and like you I def won't b hanging around before going to the hospital

• Advertisement

Holy moly missymad 15 mins?? Thats unreal! I'm sure you'll def be on alert this time around! Hope everything goes well for you.

My folks are only up the road so tbh anytime day or night they'll be there for my daughter, I just have this thought at the back of my mind of not making it to the hospital.

A colleague of my mums first labour went the same as mine and her second baby was born in the car outside holles street :D

Sure what will be will be I suppose, Murphy's law dictates I'll be three days in labour on this one :D

Holy moly missymad 15 mins?? Thats unreal! I'm sure you'll def be on alert this time around! Hope everything goes well for you.

My folks are only up the road so tbh anytime day or night they'll be there for my daughter, I just have this thought at the back of my mind of not making it to the hospital.

A colleague of my mums first labour went the same as mine and her second baby was born in the car outside holles street :D

Sure what will be will be I suppose, Murphy's law dictates I'll be three days in labour on this one :D

In the car o my god, that's my worst fear. A friend of mine had her little girl just after me and she had her on her kitchen floor at home, imagine!!

Hopefully we'll both get there in loads of time nd have really easy labour and birth ha hop your pregnancy is going well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My friends second baby was a super quick labour. She was crowning going in the door of the hospital, think it was an hour from first proper pain to baby in her arms. She was terrified having her third because everyone said it would be faster but her third took a leisurely 4-5 hours. I was induced twice and had quick labours on both. Less than 4 on my first and maybe an hour of established labour on my second.

Roesy wrote: »
    My friends second baby was a super quick labour. She was crowning going in the door of the hospital, think it was an hour from first proper pain to baby in her arms. She was terrified having her third because everyone said it would be faster but her third took a leisurely 4-5 hours. I was induced twice and had quick labours on both. Less than 4 on my first and maybe an hour of established labour on my second.

Leisurely is a nice word to hope for when it comes to labour, thanks Roesy :)

swooshty wrote: »
    I know of a couple of people who have had similar on both and lived to tell the tale:)

My own first was a bit longer than you - 6 hours start to finish. My second is due any day and yes - the staff as a whole and my GP have said labour should/will be shorter and to get in to hospital fairly lively. The added wrinkle for me is that I need antibiotics for Strep B and the longer I can have them going into me, the better for me and the baby. So there will be no hanging around here.

Like you it's playing on my mind though, because we have no.1 to think of. Even with family in the local area, I could be hanging around up to 1.5 hours I think, waiting for OH and babysitters to show before I get out of the house - if labour is 4-5 hours for me, that's a fair chunk of time.

Have the local garda/fire brigade number handy on your phone, is the other thing. I'm in the Rotunda and due around St Patrick's day, and the streets there are already bad enough due to the Luas works. Praying it doesn't happen during rush hour.

I don't think there's anything else that can be done....

Sorry swooshty your post just showed for me now for some reason?! Do you know what that's it exactly there is nothing to be done, what will be will be. I'm not usually a worrier, I hate dramatics and I suppose worry isn't the right word to use about this but it's on my mind a bit. To be honest it's probably other people saying it to me! My Mam was saying this evening if it comes to it put daughter number one in the car and my folks will follow, there's a solution to everything!

Very best of luck to you, hope all goes well! Fingers crossed the luas drivers don't cause anymore havoc than necessary too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Swooshy my first labour was six hours and so was my second. I also had gbs and got the anti biotics in time. Hope that helps reassure although I know it prob won't lol I'm on number 3 now and still worried about those darn anti biotics although It's looking like I might be induced now! Will find out on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I too had a fast (enough) labour and delivery on my first pregnancy. Waters broke at 36+6 which was quite unexpected. Happened at 07:30 and I had no pains at all.
    Went into the assessment unit where they were going to send me home until they realised I wasn't yet 37 weeks and so protocol dictated that they had to keep me. No one thought I'd be having a baby that day though.
    First tiny contraction or hint of pain came at midday. It was a blip and nothing more. More definite pain but still very manageable didn't start until 14:00. Slow progress (or so it felt) and used my TENS machine for a good while to great effect. Asked for a pethadine injection at around 17:00 and felt like I was going to be in labour forever and ever and wasn't very dilated. Pain got quite intense and then I remember being examined at around 20:00 and I had progressed quite far quite quickly. Midwives suddenly very interested in me. Next time I was examined they told me I had to go upstairs to the delivery suite and that was at 21:00. I got my epi then and baby was born at 23:00.

Apparently it would seem (in so far as anyone can ever tell) that I might well go early and go fast this time too. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and I want to discuss things for delivery with her then. I will be 27/28 weeks then but given that I had nothing written in my chart at all around pain relief preferences or anything last time I do want to feel a little more prepared this time out.
    My mum had quick labours with each of us and my sister went from 22 hours on her first, to 10 hours on her second to 90 minutes on her third!.

I was in with the GP on Friday and she said statically speaking half the time of your first labour so I'm looking at under an hour if baby decides to be a statistic :P . Keep the number of the fire brigade handy like swooshty said was her advice!

We were chatting about women giving birth years ago at the weekend and realised i was being a bit precious given it too much thought, I'll be grand. My maternal granny for example gave birth to 12 at home and the third pregnancy was (surprise) twins! Imagine being told after you'd given birth, hang on, here's number two!

I was in with the GP on Friday and she said statically speaking half the time of your first labour so I'm looking at under an hour if baby decides to be a statistic :P . Keep the number of the fire brigade handy like swooshty said was her advice!

We were chatting about women giving birth years ago at the weekend and realised i was being a bit precious given it too much thought, I'll be grand. My maternal granny for example gave birth to 12 at home and the third pregnancy was (surprise) twins! Imagine being told after you'd given birth, hang on, here's number two!

Sounds like mine. She had 11 babies, surprise twins too, all at home and each and every one of them survived. Given that my mum at 72/73 is the youngest of the 11 it would confirm that little was known then (compared to now) about many of the dangers for babies or women. It is after all an entirely natural biological event even if it is not without its potential dangers and problems. Knowledge of basic hygiene alone has improved outcomes hugely.
    My poor Granny was a red head and the "midwife" (who was just a woman who happened to know how to help birth babies) in the village (they lived in a very rural area) had a superstitious fear of redheads. She was also convinved that women were the root of all evil and childbirth was painful as their punishment for this. She spent my granny's labours reminding her that all of this pain was God's way of paying women back for all of their wrong doings.
    Just what you need to hear in the midst of all that isn't it:rolleyes: Poor Granny. :)

That's gas penny, so similar, my Mum is the youngest also, although she's 59, she's from rural Ireland too!

Some of my Grannys stories make me shudder, 4 children under 3 and your mother in law implying you were to blame for not controlling yourself :confused:

• Advertisement

That's gas penny, so similar, my Mum is the youngest also, although she's 59, she's from rural Ireland too!

Some of my Grannys stories make me shudder, 4 children under 3 and your mother in law implying you were to blame for not controlling yourself :confused:

Granny wasn't the midwife, it was the local "nurse" who happened to be the nutter who was horrible to all women but most especially red heads. In the depictions of Adam and Eve in the local church Eve had long red hair in all of the paintings. I'm guessing thats where she got it from.

She lived close to my grandparents and believed that if the first person you saw on New Year's Day was a red headed woman then you'd have bad luck for the rest of the year. She used to pay my uncle to get up really early on January 1st and come to her house and knock on her door so he would be the first person she saw.
    She was a touch odd to say the least.

Oh yeah I got it wasn't your granny with the vendetta against redheads, I must have worded myself wrong! When I said some of my Grannys stories, I meant some of her own experiences from giving birth and general life back then :)

From her MIL implying she'd want to control herself better so as to prevent so many children Granny said her only form of contraception was to face the wall in the hopes my Granddad thought she was asleep!

Oh yeah I got it wasn't your granny with the vendetta against redheads, I must have worded myself wrong! When I said some of my Grannys stories, I meant some of her own experiences from giving birth and general life back then :)

From her MIL implying she'd want to control herself better so as to prevent so many children Granny said her only form of contraception was to face the wall in the hopes my Granddad thought she was asleep![/QUOTE]

It was such a hard time to live in for women then wasn't it? Absolutely no control over their reproductive system.

I've started to watch The Knick through On Demand and the women in 1900s NYC seeking ways to not have sex with their husbands, husbands demanding it and yet getting cross when their wives are somehow pregnant as a result is quite upsetting.

Crazy times alright, I must look that programme up, sounds very interesting!

I've just binge watched 5 seasons of call the midwife and a lot of the women went though similar scenarios.

Crazy times alright, I must look that programme up, sounds very interesting!

I've just binge watched 5 seasons of call the midwife and a lot of the women went though similar scenarios.

I've never seen it, I'm guessing its very good if it needed a binge watch:D
    I've never seen House of Cards (the US version) either and have it on my list too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I too had a fast (enough) labour and delivery on my first pregnancy. Waters broke at 36+6 which was quite unexpected. Happened at 07:30 and I had no pains at all.
    Went into the assessment unit where they were going to send me home until they realised I wasn't yet 37 weeks and so protocol dictated that they had to keep me...
    That's interesting, here the protocol is that if your waters break, you go to the clinic for them to confirm that the waters really broke. If yes, you are hospitalised, put on antibiotics and kept under observation. If after 48 hours, labour hasn't started, you're induced.

That's interesting, here the protocol is that if your waters break, you go to the clinic for them to confirm that the waters really broke. If yes, you are hospitalised, put on antibiotics and kept under observation. If after 48 hours, labour hasn't started, you're induced.

They were going to put me on Klacid and send me home for 24 hours. There was no doubt that my waters had broken and kept on coming (that one was quite the lesson for me. I thought waters broke and that was it. Mine kept on coming for hours in fits and starts). They put a trace on the baby and she was doing fine. As I hadn't a hint of a pain or contraction at that stage they felt that Klacid, home and back the next day for induction if necessary was the way to go.
    As I said it was only when they realised I hadn't hit 37 weeks that they had to keep me. At that stage they felt I would be in for the night and be induced the next day, no one thought I'd have my baby before the day was out. Clearly the little one had other plans.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

They were going to put me on Klacid and send me home for 24 hours. There was no doubt that my waters had broken and kept on coming (that one was quite the lesson for me. I thought waters broke and that was it. Mine kept on coming for hours in fits and starts). They put a trace on the baby and she was doing fine. As I hadn't a hint of a pain or contraction at that stage they felt that Klacid, home and back the next day for induction if necessary was the way to go.
    As I said it was only when they realised I hadn't hit 37 weeks that they had to keep me. At that stage they felt I would be in for the night and be induced the next day, no one thought I'd have my baby before the day was out. Clearly the little one had other plans.:D
    My midwife gave me a good explanation: Imagine you're standing up, well the baby's head is like a "plug", so if your waters break when you're out and about, it's not always a big gush like on tv, it'll come out in drips. It's more likely to come out in a gush when you're lying down, because baby's head is not being "held down" by gravity, if you get me.

My midwife gave me a good explanation: Imagine you're standing up, well the baby's head is like a "plug", so if your waters break when you're out and about, it's not always a big gush like on tv, it'll come out in drips. It's more likely to come out in a gush when you're lying down, because baby's head is not being "held down" by gravity, if you get me.

Its quite the learning experience all right. I had a loud pop sound and then out came a fair bit of water. It tied in with what I imagined it would be like and as I'd never heard of it taking a long time for all of the water to go or leave your body I just assumed that was it. :o Then as the day went on every so often I'd have either a trickle or another gush.
    I remember when the contractions were getting stronger my husband trying to encourage me to go for a walk to ease the pain and all the other things we'd heard at the ante natal class.
    I refused to go anyhwere other than sit on an inco sheet on the edge of the bed and rock from side to side because I felt I was like a snail or a slug with the amount of fluid coming from me. :)

• Advertisement

Just a question to see if anyone has experienced this problem. I'm between 6-8 weeks preg not to sure. Have had spotting/bleeding going on 2 1/2 weeks. Been to the doctor last week and he done bloods to check hcg levels and done again today to see if they are rising. It's my fourth pregnancy and only had very light spotting once or twice on my last one nothing like this. Also on my last 3 preg it's like clockwork at 4 weeks the morning sickness hits with a bang but this time nothing at all.. Can't help worrying. I know I'll find out tomoro if hcg levels has risen or not and dc has me booked in for a scan next week but just feel frustrated

Advertisement