Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

missymad wrote: »
    Just a question to see if anyone has experienced this problem. I'm between 6-8 weeks preg not to sure. Have had spotting/bleeding going on 2 1/2 weeks. Been to the doctor last week and he done bloods to check hcg levels and done again today to see if they are rising. It's my fourth pregnancy and only had very light spotting once or twice on my last one nothing like this. Also on my last 3 preg it's like clockwork at 4 weeks the morning sickness hits with a bang but this time nothing at all.. Can't help worrying. I know I'll find out tomoro if hcg levels has risen or not and dc has me booked in for a scan next week but just feel frustrated

I had light intermittent bleeding between week 5 and 6 of my pregnancy and it turned out to be nothing sinister. They think it was implantation bleeding that had gotten caught in a blood blister and then burst during week 5.

I know it is horribly worrying but it doesn't always mean bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭missymad

brokensoul wrote: »
    I had light intermittent bleeding between week 5 and 6 of my pregnancy and it turned out to be nothing sinister. They think it was implantation bleeding that had gotten caught in a blood blister and then burst during week 5.

I know it is horribly worrying but it doesn't always mean bad news.

Thanks... I got the results and unfortunately it's not good news have to go for a scan to confirm but from my hcg results they Have lowered instead of jumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Hey guys, my wife got the list for the baby bag and is wondering about do we need everything on the list, this is for the hospital in galway, I myself am clueless about the whole deal :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

astonaidan wrote: »
    Hey guys, my wife got the list for the baby bag and is wondering about do we need everything on the list, this is for the hospital in galway, I myself am clueless about the whole deal :o

It depends on the list I suppose! What I will say is that there is nothing that can't be gotten once the baby is born so wouldn't panic too much! Once you have clothes to put baby in and nappy once he/she is born anything that has been forgotten can be picked up! Most hospital shops even sell babygros, nappies toiletries etc

Recommend having 2 separate bags! One for labour and delivery and one for ward. my first child my I only had one bag and my husband was like a pig knitting trying to find the things I was asking him for because I had packed it and it was so full of stuff lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It depends on the list I suppose! What I will say is that there is nothing that can't be gotten once the baby is born so wouldn't panic too much! Once you have clothes to put baby in and nappy once he/she is born anything that has been forgotten can be picked up! Most hospital shops even sell babygros, nappies toiletries etc

Recommend having 2 separate bags! One for labour and delivery and one for ward. my first child my I only had one bag and my husband was like a pig knitting trying to find the things I was asking him for because I had packed it and it was so full of stuff lol
    The clinic I had my son in (and will soon have my daughter in) actually specifies that you need two bags. It's more practical for yourself but also, it takes up a lot less space in the labour room just to have a small bag with the essentials for the labour/birth.

• Advertisement

The clinic I had my son in (and will soon have my daughter in) actually specifies that you need two bags. It's more practical for yourself but also, it takes up a lot less space in the labour room just to have a small bag with the essentials for the labour/birth.

I'm being induced tomorrow and I still have stuff to sort out for my bag lol sure the hospital is beside a shop it's grand lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On the other hand, I've been fully packed since 36 weeks but my midwife thinks I'm going to go quite overdue...

On the other hand, I've been fully packed since 36 weeks but my midwife thinks I'm going to go quite overdue...

I'm only 37 today and only found out about being induced on Thursday! You would think that would light a fire under me but I'm still trying to get the house sorted ha ha painting and everything going on here! Hope I get a good night sleep tonight if I have to give birth tomorrow lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Agiibagii

Hi all,
    I am in a big need of advice please,
    This is my first pregnancy didn't even know until the other day. I have a bad case of PCOS and not having regular periods so not actually sure how far am I, if my calculations are correct I am due around 31St October. I am just so confused about everything. Me and my partner have discussed before to have kids but in few years, but this is very unexpected and not a great timing sadly, tho still happy it actually happened and naturally as I was told I might have big issues becoming pregnant.
    I dont really have any pregnant people around that I might chat to plus I work nights so not very social altogether ha so I have like million questions in my head.
    Me and my partner don't live together, can't afford it as he's unemployed and I work full time but can't afford with the rent prices soooooo hight. No idea where to live... Thinking of applying for social housing but I heard that might be taking years.
    Haven't been in my company where I work 2 years, well in October it's going to be 1 year and 11 months so I can't get maternity money from them. I am freaking out I won't be able to provide... My partner is thinking of taking any job by this point but even with that we can't afford normal rent, prices are crazy here in Cork...
    Health wise I am very nauseous, not getting sick tho. I have some issues with food as some things I use to love make me feel sick... Mainly living on fruit and veg haha. I have noticed my clothes are tighter and my boobs are sooo sore, have some cramping sometimes bit bad on left side, and I pee like crazy... I am going to the GP on Monday.
    Basically, I wonder has anyone has any ideas what to do in my situation as I have no clue where to start. Sorry for the long rant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Yeah, this pregnancy has turned me into a nervous wreck. Found out at nearly 6 weeks that I was pregnant despite having heavy bleeding for the two weeks prior to testing. Ended up in hospital with a suspected ectopic but thankfully bub was in the right place. Have had a lot of pain and a few bleeds since but had a third scan on Monday and baby was still doing well. Had another bleed on Wednesday but was told no need to go in unless very heavy or super painful. Bleed stopped within a couple of hours with no real cramping and I didn't pass clots or anything. Not due back until Wednesday for another scan but woke up this morning at 8 weeks feeling very unpregant. Anyone have symptoms stop at this stage? I have a two year and 8 month old but don't remember if anything similar happened with them. Definitely didnt bleed like this with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Agiibagii wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am in a big need of advice please,
    This is my first pregnancy didn't even know until the other day. I have a bad case of PCOS and not having regular periods so not actually sure how far am I, if my calculations are correct I am due around 31St October. I am just so confused about everything. Me and my partner have discussed before to have kids but in few years, but this is very unexpected and not a great timing sadly, tho still happy it actually happened and naturally as I was told I might have big issues becoming pregnant.
    I dont really have any pregnant people around that I might chat to plus I work nights so not very social altogether ha so I have like million questions in my head.
    Me and my partner don't live together, can't afford it as he's unemployed and I work full time but can't afford with the rent prices soooooo hight. No idea where to live... Thinking of applying for social housing but I heard that might be taking years.
    Haven't been in my company where I work 2 years, well in October it's going to be 1 year and 11 months so I can't get maternity money from them. I am freaking out I won't be able to provide... My partner is thinking of taking any job by this point but even with that we can't afford normal rent, prices are crazy here in Cork...
    Health wise I am very nauseous, not getting sick tho. I have some issues with food as some things I use to love make me feel sick... Mainly living on fruit and veg haha. I have noticed my clothes are tighter and my boobs are sooo sore, have some cramping sometimes bit bad on left side, and I pee like crazy... I am going to the GP on Monday.
    Basically, I wonder has anyone has any ideas what to do in my situation as I have no clue where to start. Sorry for the long rant :)

You can get statutory maternity benefit, you have paid enough stamps (PRSI) it's 230 per week (less tax) for 26 weeks. You can also claim an additional payment for an unemployed spouse/partner as part of it, but you'd have to be living together Í'd say?? Not sure on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Roesy wrote: »
    Yeah, this pregnancy has turned me into a nervous wreck. Found out at nearly 6 weeks that I was pregnant despite having heavy bleeding for the two weeks prior to testing. Ended up in hospital with a suspected ectopic but thankfully bub was in the right place. Have had a lot of pain and a few bleeds since but had a third scan on Monday and baby was still doing well. Had another bleed on Wednesday but was told no need to go in unless very heavy or super painful. Bleed stopped within a couple of hours with no real cramping and I didn't pass clots or anything. Not due back until Wednesday for another scan but woke up this morning at 8 weeks feeling very unpregant. Anyone have symptoms stop at this stage? I have a two year and 8 month old but don't remember if anything similar happened with them. Definitely didnt bleed like this with them.

Roesy I've no experience with bleeding during pregnancy but hope all went well today for you. You've had a rough few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Roesy wrote: »

I 100% was the same when pregnant in terms of symptoms disappearing - felt normal for a week or so and had myself tied in a knot but all was fine x

Thanks ladies. Had a scan yesterday and consultant appointment today(and another scan!!). Baby is growing well but the bleeding continues to come and go. Another one again tonight. It's nearly every second day at this stage :( seeing baba growing as it should be is fantastic but my nerves are still shot. Heard the heartbeat today, beautiful sound. He basically said bleeding is considered a threatened miscarriage and that we just have to wait and see what happens. In the meantime I'm to take it easy, no heavy lifting, no exercise etc. Need to sit the two year and 8 month old down tomorrow and tell them they need to pull their weight a bit more around the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'll be well used to mid night escapades from this pregnancy...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

Digs wrote: »
    Just looking for any mums who've had a fast first labour and went onto have more children. My first labour was really quick. I went from not being in labour to 0-8cm in less than an hour and she was born within the hour after that. I remember the midwife just afterwards at the time telling me not to hang about on getting to the hospital number two! To be honest I think I was in shock at that stage aswell, could not get my head around what was after happening!

It's been mentioned by my consultant at my last two visits, the speed at which my first came and it's playing on my mind lately, especially now considering we have number one to think about when the time comes.

In general did people find second labours to be even quicker? I know anything can happen but just wondering what the general feeing is!

On my first my labour was 90 minutes ...he was born five minutes after we got to hospital.

Second guy labour lasted under an hour.

Now I am pregnant with number 3 and hoping to be induced . I am.on inohep and need to be off it 24 hours before labour/birth

On my first my labour was 90 minutes ...he was born five minutes after we got to hospital.

Second guy labour lasted under an hour.

Now I am pregnant with number 3 and hoping to be induced . I am.on inohep and need to be off it 24 hours before labour/birth

I had her in June and can confirm it was true for me! Second labour was under half the time of my first, 30 minutes!

Best of luck with #3 :)

Digs wrote: »
    I had her in June and can confirm it was true for me! Second labour was under half the time of my first, 30 minutes!

Best of luck with #3 :)

Eek...i will be camping outside cumh in May.

A couple of the women from my antenatal group who ended up having quick labours (< 3 hours) were recommended to plan a home birth if they have a second!

All three of mine were induced. First was under 4 hours. Second was about an hour. Third was an hour and 8 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Orangetaster85

Hi everyone ! So I'm just back from the doctors where she done a urine sample and confired my pregnancy of about 5 + weeks. Very early I know! She then told me there was a trace of blood in the urine 😣 she asked me to come back next week and gave me a letter for the a&e anti natual 'just in case' Has anyone every experienced this before? I've no bleeding.
    Thank you !

A couple of the women from my antenatal group who ended up having quick labours (< 3 hours) were recommended to plan a home birth if they have a second!

I'm most definitely considering it if we have a third, it crossed my mind this time round but when I mentioned it to my husband and my mam they nearly passed out so I didn't bring it up again.

If my time halved again I wouldn't make it out the door :D

Thing is I am on inohep and aspirin so need to be careful over risk of bleeding more. Home.birth not an option as i am classed as high risk. I am.going to ask if its possible to induce me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Those of you who have gone on maternity leave, do ye leave yourselves available for calls/emails/queries about things you would have been responsible for? Or is it a case of "when you're gone, you're gone"?
    Just trying to gauge what the norm is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Those of you who have gone on maternity leave, do ye leave yourselves available for calls/emails/queries about things you would have been responsible for? Or is it a case of "when you're gone, you're gone"?

Bloody hell no way! You're on your legally entitled maternity leave and when you're gone you're gone. Once your baby is born there is no earthly way you will have time for or be interested in work.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

s4uv3 wrote: »

It depends probably on how likely you'd get calls or emails. And how sound your employer normally is. My workplace is very flexible for personal stuff, don't dock wages if you are sick or have an appointment and are quick to thank you when you go the extra mile. So I was more than happy to offer my number but it was never used because I knew they would only ring me if they had exhausted all other sources first. Plus I luffs my colleagues so would hate to think they were pulling their hair out trying to figure out a task I'd normally do.

If you've got an employer /colleague who would ring you almost every day for stupid stuff, you might be less likely to offer. Or steer them towards email rather than phonecalls because you will want to nap, or be in the middle of pumping or nappy change etc and you cant get to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi, hope im posting in the right section, or maybe i need to start a thread.

We are hoping to start trying for a baby now soon and i was wondering should i start taking things like Folic Acid or doing anything in particular to prepare myself?

Thanks in advance :-)

Oh, just realised there was a "Trying to conceive" forum so ill pop across there.

Folic acid and a good multivitamin are always useful - try and get as healthy as possible before you start trying too. It makes it easier if you're physically fit and healthy when you become pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orangetaster85

I just had a hot bath!! I completely forgot that it's not good for the baby to raise your body temperature. I got out after 15mins I was a bit too warm. Is there any truth behind this? I'm very early on 11 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

It's fine. To raise your core temp you'd be absolutely roasting yourself. I continued with my scaldingly hot baths and showers, if I had ever felt remotely weak/faint/too hot from it I'd have turned it down or gotten out but was always grand, your own body won't tolerate too hot for very long.

Advertisement