Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

andreac wrote: »
    Hi, hope im posting in the right section, or maybe i need to start a thread.

We are hoping to start trying for a baby now soon and i was wondering should i start taking things like Folic Acid or doing anything in particular to prepare myself?

Thanks in advance :-)

Oh, just realised there was a "Trying to conceive" forum so ill pop across there.

I'm pregnant for the first time at the moment. We bought some cheap ovulation strips and used them when we were trying. I'd recommend them. We ended up pregnant on our first cycle. I know it's partly us being very fortunate but I do think the strips really helped pin point the best times to try.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Quick question about Sterilisers! Do they all leak, anyone that I have seen has leaked.. I quite fancy the Tommee Tippee brand, does anyone have any experience of these ones leaking, if they do thats it im not bothering with one just go back to old school style. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Milly33 wrote: »
    Quick question about Sterilisers! Do they all leak, anyone that I have seen has leaked.. I quite fancy the Tommee Tippee brand, does anyone have any experience of these ones leaking, if they do thats it im not bothering with one just go back to old school style. Thanks in advance

I used an Avent Steam one for my two. Doesn't leak at all and the bottles are done in 7 minutes.
    If I go so far as to have a 3rd I'd be more than happy to use it again.

Thanks Penny Dreadful, at awe of that now as anyone I have come across has leaked, there is always a bit of water underneath the machine. it would drive me bonkers//Maybe I just dont like them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We had the Avent steam one as well - got it in a set with a breast pump and bottles. No issues apart from huge limescale buildup from our stupidly hard water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

We have a microwave steriliser philips avent, takes 2mins, no leaks and no extra gizmo on my counter top which i love as I am stuck for space/plugs as it is. Also super handy if you are traveling/away for a night etc...

thanks wuffly i was looking at the microwave ones too but then thought if we go someplace that doesnt have a mico your stuck, plus I dont really like the mico myselfs.. But good to know they work, thats what i dont want another thing stuck on the counter top.. So said i would look as himself likes them but really think i might just use milton and water

thanks wuffly i was looking at the microwave ones too but then thought if we go someplace that doesnt have a mico your stuck, plus I dont really like the mico myselfs.. But good to know they work, thats what i dont want another thing stuck on the counter top.. So said i would look as himself likes them but really think i might just use milton and water

We actually borrowed ours you won't really need one to being with if you are bf'ing only got it when we moved to bottles (which was a quick for lots of reasons)and used it to sterlise bottles and breast pump stuff. We brought it to hotels etc.. and they took it to the kitchen and gave it a go for us. Milton and water is handy and my mam still wanted to milton everything anyway! I just found it a lot of work when you are already tired. My parenting strategy is entirely based on do whatever works for you and your baby so see how you go!! Also in hindsight buy things as you need, don't be afraid to borrow or go 2nd where you can! Best of luck!

Great words of advice thanks wuffly

I have another question for the wise mums here... The Cleve Mama pillow, is it worth it? I am like yes I want one, then I just think it is another thing taking up space... So would you say they are worth it, to maybe just get a reg half moon pillow or this one. thanks in advance..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I never bothered with a nursing pillow - just used a normal one if I needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I hadn't one - can't remember where it came from or what brand it was. I did find it great especially when I developed bad SPD. His name was Clive :D my husband hated him

Thank you so perhaps tis just another thing to sell you.. Id have it purchased now if it was in red but the colour is putting me off. Normal pillow it is then.. Thank you ladies

I didn't have the clevamama one, seems expensive for a feeding pillow and a head rest. That said I used a pregnancy pillow for about half my pregnancy as i had spd from 20 weeks. I did use a feeding pillow that I got a a gift but not for feeding that much I found it too awkward and to be honest it seemed like it was made for skinnier mums, but that might have just been mine! I ended up just propping my arm up with other cushions etc.. Used it a lot for tummy time and when he was bigger to help him stay sitting up. For me I'd say yes to a feeding pillow but i'd say you can find better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Used one of those v shaped orthopaedic ones. It was brilliant and doubled up as a support body pillow during pg.. After using a while I had to borrow a "bfeeding" one and found it hopeless by comparison as it was too flat / soft
    I had a big babba.

Thank you ladies again. Ye are so much help at keeping my head level with things..Tis just when you see them your like yeah that might be handy and then the more you think about it, your like why just as ye say use a pillow... I shall mark it off the list... What is SPD can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

What kind of money are ye spending on pillows? Need to get one and not sure where or what kind to get or how much I am meant to be spending!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Thank you ladies again. Ye are so much help at keeping my head level with things..Tis just when you see them your like yeah that might be handy and then the more you think about it, your like why just as ye say use a pillow... I shall mark it off the list... What is SPD can I ask?

SPD is a common pelvic problem in pregnancy whereby the pregnancy hormones cause the joint to loosen, causing pain during any type of movement of the lower body. Generally starts somewhere from around halfway through the first trimester and often continues to worsen until birth.

It helps to put a pillow between your knees while sleeping in order to keep the pelvis in alignment. Although I didn't have a big pregnancy pillow as our house is super small. I just used normal pillows for sleeping and for breastfeeding.

It's a horrible and often very debilitating condition.

Oh dear that does sound horrible... Thanks for filling me know, jes I feel bad for any women who has to go through that... The pain, women defiantly have the most fantastic bodies when you think about it, but the pain i would not fancy

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If anyone does get it, head down to a physio asap. I suffered for weeks on my first while waiting to see the hospital physio. In fairness once I saw her she gave me this support belt which worked wonders, and showed me how to turn over in bed and get out without hurting myself. However, if it happens again this time around I'll just head to a local physio where I don't have to wait so long for an appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I had a full body pillow for during pregnancy. I didn't have SPD, but it was super comfy regardless. It was supposed to be usable for breastfeeding, but I didn't use it for that.
    I have two V shaped pillows, one for €20 from Argos which I think was advertised as a feeling pillow. It's a good size and nice and compact/dense feeling which I use for the rocker. The other pillow is just one from aldi/Lidl for €10. It's just a normal V pillow. It's not as dense or secure feeling at the other one, and it's bigger. But it suits perfectly for giving that little added support when I'm in the living room on an armchair. Personally I love the V shaped pillows for breastfeeding as it creates a nice little snug hole for baby to settle into while also lifting them that slight little bit so that your not breaking your back trying to lower yourself into a good position or lifting your arm to do the same. For me personally they were definitely a good buy.

Agree with what the others have said re SPD its horrible and debilitating, go straight for physio if you feel any weakness or pain around your back/pelvis. I was going twice a week up until the birth, that along with the support belt and pillow helped a lot but it really slows you down. Fair play to women managing it and looking after toddlers/older kids. Thank god it totally disappeared as soon as my son arrived, i think this is the case for most people. I can't remember how much i paid for my pillow i did buy it online tho. (i live in the middle east and everything in shops is extortionately expensive compared to online and home).

Toots wrote: »
    If anyone does get it, head down to a physio asap. I suffered for weeks on my first while waiting to see the hospital physio. In fairness once I saw her she gave me this support belt which worked wonders, and showed me how to turn over in bed and get out without hurting myself. However, if it happens again this time around I'll just head to a local physio where I don't have to wait so long for an appointment.

I have had very bad back pain for over a month, am nearly 18 weeks now. I went to my GP and she just said she couldnt do anything and couldnt refer me to the maternity physio in the hospital so all I could do was pay a private one which I cant afford. Went to my first antenatal class last week and the GP can refer to them and there is a 2 month waiting list. So annoyed, was going to ring GP and complain but probably wont get anywhere. Have my midwife tomorrow so will ask her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

What reason did GP give for not referring you to physio? When I had carpal tunnel last time my gp referred me and I saw the physio the same day and got advice and splints.

What reason did GP give for not referring you to physio? When I had carpal tunnel last time my gp referred me and I saw the physio the same day and got advice and splints.

She said that she couldn't refer to the maternity physio, only midwife/consultant could. She said she could refer me to the general hospital physio but there was a waiting list of 6 months so said there was no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Anyone else with the Coombe? I sent off my registration form 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back, is that the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Anyone else with the Coombe? I sent off my registration form 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back, is that the norm?

I heard back from them after less than a week both times. I'd give them a call tomorrow as that sounds like quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Random Q but has anyone here done evacuation chair training for work? I've been scheduled in and wondering if I need to disclose my pregnancy for health & safety reasons. It involves putting someone into the evac chair and pushing them down the stairs, then also being the person being pushed. I'm 8 weeks

Would anyone know where you can buy Moses basket covers, like the typical long skirt etc.. I found Michael Guinneys online but of course they are sold out of the white

• Advertisement

Would anyone know where you can buy Moses basket covers, like the typical long skirt etc.. I found Michael Guinneys online but of course they are sold out of the white

Can't help re the cover but if you are buying sheets for the Moses basket would suggest not buying many as they grow out if the Moses basket quickly and your left with loads sheets you don't need after 3/4months. We bought 2 but often used pillow cases if they were in the wash due to a little spew, poo explosion or leaky nappy!

Advertisement