Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Random Q but has anyone here done evacuation chair training for work? I've been scheduled in and wondering if I need to disclose my pregnancy for health & safety reasons. It involves putting someone into the evac chair and pushing them down the stairs, then also being the person being pushed. I'm 8 weeks

Absolutely disclose it. You shouldn't be pushing anyone down the stairs in a chair. Or imagine you fell out of the chair! I told my job at 8 weeks because there was a lot of stacking chairs, lifting and dragging tables etc. Some may say it is a bit precious but I miscarried my first pregnancy so refuse to take any chances with this one. Mind yourself!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Absolutely disclose it. You shouldn't be pushing anyone down the stairs in a chair. Or imagine you fell out of the chair! I told my job at 8 weeks because there was a lot of stacking chairs, lifting and dragging tables etc. Some may say it is a bit precious but I miscarried my first pregnancy so refuse to take any chances with this one. Mind yourself!

Yeah I told my main manager pretty much as soon as we found out at about 6 weeks - at the time my job involved some heavy lifting on a daily basis (large sacks of coins up to about 10/12kg) We both agreed that we'd just say that I'd hurt my back, and wouldn't be able to lift things for a few weeks, which would take us up to the 12/14 week mark when I'd be telling everyone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Thanks. You're right of course, I'll disclose it when it comes up again. So far haven't heard any more about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

I am looking for a moses basket with the old school skirt on it. Tis really annoying I cant seem to find any bar the argos one.. Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Milly33 wrote: »
    I am looking for a moses basket with the old school skirt on it. Tis really annoying I cant seem to find any bar the argos one.. Any ideas

Guineys I think, also Smyths. I saw them somewhere else, I'll try remember.

• Advertisement

Smyths just have the regular ones as such with the half covers.. Will take a look at Guinneys thanks

Milley33 is that what you're looking for? I saw that in guineys. Never thought to look at the price.

Milley33 is that what you're looking for? I saw that in guineys. Never thought to look at the price.

Hi Tea and Cake, not perfect but about there. Cant believe there isn't more of them about... Thinking again now, as got delivery today of the cotbed and the travel cot and really thinking do we even need another

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Hi Tea and Cake, not perfect but about there. Cant believe there isn't more of them about... Thinking again now, as got delivery today of the cotbed and the travel cot and really thinking do we even need another

A lot of people say a Moses basket is a bit of a waste because they grow out of them so fast.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's why we weren't going to buy one, but My mum kinda wants to get one for us as tradition.. But I'm just seeing another thing to store..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

What'll you put baby in during the day in sitting room etc? We're borrowing a moses basket for that, last time used carrycot part of buggy but buggy is staying in stroller mode for toddler now so can't use carrycot.

Well we have a bassinet from the buggy also a Moses basket we can borrow from a friend, we have a cotbed too haha a lot of beds for a small baby

No worries. I have given up on a moses basket and am going with a co sleeper. Like you another thing to store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

You've plenty so. The main thing is having something planned for the sitting room/kitchen etc, sometimes people think of the cot in bedroom but forget about everywhere else!

No worries. I have given up on a moses basket and am going with a co sleeper. Like you another thing to store.

I was gonna get a Snuzpod but they are so big looking. I live in a tiny house so I ended up getting a cosleeper that folds up into a big bag so it can be stored easily for any future babies. We are going to use the pram bassinet on a moses basket stand (if it fits) in the sitting room and the cosleeper in the bedroom then.

I was gonna get a Snuzpod but they are so big looking. I live in a tiny house so I ended up getting a cosleeper that folds up into a big bag so it can be stored easily for any future babies. We are going to use the pram bassinet on a moses basket stand (if it fits) in the sitting room and the cosleeper in the bedroom then.

What cosleeper is that? I had planned on getting the snuzpod but have a lot of space in our bedroom. Just not storage.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We got one of those cocoonababy yokes to put in the cot, not bothering with the moses basket this time around because it would take up too much room with the cot as well. We need the cot so we can use the changing table on the end of it.

I love the Inovi Cocoon Travel Cots they look so neat... tis mad all the things you get into thinking you need

What cosleeper is that? I had planned on getting the snuzpod but have a lot of space in our bedroom. Just not storage.

It's Kinderkraft. I got it in a Groupon deal for €119.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We have a snuzpod for the bedroom and will use the bassinet from the travel system downstairs. I liked the snuzpod because of the fact that it’s a bit bigger so will hopefully last a bit longer before having to get a cot.

If using the bassinet doesn’t work out I’ll get a travel cot but so many people have told me the baby could end up just sleeping on me anyway so I don’t want to buy something extra that won’t be used. I like the look of that travel cot Milly.

It's Kinderkraft. I got it in a Groupon deal for €119.

I am on Groupon looking at ALL the Kinderkraft stuff. The bouncers look nice. Thanks

Kinda have my heart set on a snuzpod but the Kinderkraft is a nice one too.

Just realised I would get the bouncer/cot and the cosleeper for the same price as the snuzpod - decisions!!!!

I am on Groupon looking at ALL the Kinderkraft stuff. The bouncers look nice. Thanks

Kinda have my heart set on a snuzpod but the Kinderkraft is a nice one too.

Just realised I would get the bouncer/cot and the cosleeper for the same price as the snuzpod - decisions!!!!

I know, it's so difficult. My parents had planned on buying my cosleeper anyway after I chose the Snuzpod but my mam then went and bought tonnes of stuff for the baby so I felt bad about the price. I have been looking at proper wooden cots for 6+ months on Adverts and you would easily get one and buy a new mattress all for about €80 so €220 for something that will last 6 months and cause issues storing seemed less sensible. I then started to think practically about space as we live in a tiny one bed house and the Kinderkraft one folds up flat into a big bag so I will use it again. I still haven't taken the feckin thing out of the box though. Baby due in 12 days!!

I know, it's so difficult. My parents had planned on buying my cosleeper anyway after I chose the Snuzpod but my mam then went and bought tonnes of stuff for the baby so I felt bad about the price. I have been looking at proper wooden cots for 6+ months on Adverts and you would easily get one and buy a new mattress all for about €80 so €220 for something that will last 6 months and cause issues storing seemed less sensible. I then started to think practically about space as we live in a tiny one bed house and the Kinderkraft one folds up flat into a big bag so I will use it again. I still haven't taken the feckin thing out of the box though. Baby due in 12 days!!

We are getting a cot from his parents (it's the one he had when he was younger) so no need to spend money on that. My parents are getting the crib and the snuzpod looks lovely and wooden but the Kinderkraft can be brought with us if we go to either home house. I may reconsider. Did you buy another of the other bits from Kinderkraft? It's my first baby so no idea what I "need".

Taking it out of the box will probably make the baby coming more real :P

It's my first baby so no idea what I "need".

Taking it out of the box will probably make the baby coming more real :P

My first baby too! I have to take the mattress out to air it (and the bassinet part of the pram- also still in the box!) but it is just space. I will need to move my bedside locker to fit the cosleeper so i think i will just leave it to my husband when I am in hospital.

Check out Ikea for cots - they're very reasonable, and so are the mattresses. We got a cot for my son which was €140 and the mattress was €50 - it was one of those ones that you can take the sides off and turn it into a little bed, so he got use out of it until he was about 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

It's my first baby so no idea what I "need".

You can get all the gadgets you want, but realistically you need so little for a baby! We had loads of stuff, but barely used any of it. The cot, high chair, sterilising equipment, a travel cot that can double up as a play pen and a buggy/carrier are the main necessities imo. That's all we use anyways. The only thing we did use that we loved at the time, but would only ever borrow is a Moses basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Scarepanda totally agree! My changing table is my knee/bed/couch/ground! I got all the gadgets on my first son! This time round I am wiser to the clutter!!!
    To the poster who is going to use OH’s cot....be careful on mattress size. My nephew is 15 and his old cot takes an odd mattress that it was easier for mum to just ikea cot and mattress for her house (for me!). Cots now are 99 times going to take a 120cm x 60cm mattress.
    A cotbed takes 140cm x 70cm.

I have a cot and cot bed believe it or not! IMHO cotbeds are too big!! With ours you need to take a side off to move it from room to room!
    I am going to resurrect our ikea cot in the next few days for our room (baby nearly 11 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

My sister got a loan of a cooconababy to try as her baby had acid reflux and moses basket was not suiting her..baby loved it and napped so soundly in it while downstairs..she used to have it on couch or on kitchen table/island. Obviously not left unattended.
    You only get about 4 months out of it though but i am def getting one ..well that or the sleepyhead one.

• Advertisement

I'm back for more knowledge ladies.. me thinks I know what to do but need re-assurance.. Right so travel cot - just put it together stupid instructions but anywho. I got one of the Graco with Bassinet cots..

Question is for newborns, I am toying with the idea of using it in out own room for the time being before moving in the cot bed.. Instead of the moses basket...

Would you go and buy another breathable mattress for this or stick to the one you get with it? I was of the idea of getting a breathable mattress for it..

And would you use it lets say straight away or would you wait maybe one or two weeks..

Thanks in advance

Advertisement