Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Milly33 wrote: »
    I'm back for more knowledge ladies.. me thinks I know what to do but need re-assurance.. Right so travel cot - just put it together stupid instructions but anywho. I got one of the Graco with Bassinet cots..

Question is for newborns, I am toying with the idea of using it in out own room for the time being before moving in the cot bed.. Instead of the moses basket...

Would you go and buy another breathable mattress for this or stick to the one you get with it? I was of the idea of getting a breathable mattress for it..

And would you use it lets say straight away or would you wait maybe one or two weeks..

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't bother to be honest... you could go straight to the cot in the bedroom that's what we did. Travel cots really are only designed for occasional sleeping - not particularly comfortable or supportive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thanks Angeldelght.. We have the travel cot already though haha the question was about using it as such instead of a moses basket, and should I get the breathable mattress etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Use the moses basket.
    Even with a good travel cot that has different levels, your back will be broken bending way over into a travel cot to pick up a baby.Also I don't find those travel cot bassinet things to be very sturdy myself, not for a few weeks of newborn sleeping.
    I cannot emphasise how hard babies are on your back!
    We just have a big moses basket to about 10 weeks, then onto a cot.Got a cot from Eurobaby for no.1 and then an ikea cot for no
    2 with a new mattress (there was a short period where both cots were in use and I wasn't forking out 200eur on a second cot)
    I find the changing table to be essential just because it takes the load off your back but I know opinions vary.Ikea do a great wooden one for 60, works a treat for us.
    Other than that.... lots of blankets and sheets.That's about it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Actually, we have a changing table as well that I'd be lost without. However it's not a proper changing table. My dad made us what was supposed to be a cot top changer that just happens to fit perfectly on top of a 2*2 IKEA kallax unit. The four drawers are used to store all the essential clothes (vests/grows/everyday clothes) and we have shelves above it to store nappy changing stuff. If I didn't have a dedicated changing area everything would be all over the house!

We are using the cot that my parents had for us. It takes a smaller sized mattress, but one of the big baby shops 1) make mattress to order and 2) have a smaller size mattress that they stock (which thankfully fits in our cot). I can't for the life of me remember the name of the shop though, it was in Blanchardstown retail park, but not mama and papas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We also got a made to measure mattress for an old moses basket....I think it was from Little Dreamers, in Galway.I ordered it online.I missed the one in Blanch scarepanda, that would have been much handier.

• Advertisement

See that's another thing, the moses baskets are very low down.. I thought maybe it was the one that we had got but looking in smyths and all the shops they are all the same, so the bassinet in the travel cot is no lower than the moses basket

Sorry our basket is old so it's quite high.
    I'D still go with the proper basket or cot to be honest.We have one of those travel cot with bassinet things, and I just think it's a temprary one night thing, I wouldn't be comfortable with putting a newborn in it for several nights or weeks or whatever.I'd rather they were on proper flat open mattress where I can arrange and secure blankets properly around them.
    i have however seen the bassinet in cot used as a secondary changing table!!!!It's a bit low though.

Shesty, it was bugging me what shop we got it in, so I just checked! Baby elegance is the shop. I don't think the advertise the smaller mattress, but they will tell you if you ask about specific sized mattresses. If I remember correctly it was about €50..... I think. After a little over a year the surface is a bit baubley even though we always have a sheet on it. But it will do madam till she's out of the cot.

Ah great! i did all my searching online, that's probably why I missed it.We may need another moses basket mattress ....third baby....so that's good to know to ask anyway :-)

Gave in and got a new mattress for the travel cot so going with it.. We have the main cot/bed in her own room and we have a lend of moses basket so that is it.. No more stuff hahaha...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Gave in and got a new mattress for the travel cot so going with it.. We have the main cot/bed in her own room and we have a lend of moses basket so that is it.. No more stuff hahaha...
    Would you not use Moses basket in your room and your pram for in the house? That’s what we do. I am not a travel cot fan. Apologies if that was already suggested......am sleep deprived ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Not expecting but our LO is nearly 7 months, and my third. I spotted this thread from the main page, so sorry for wading in! :)

I use the bed, sofa, lap you name it for changing baby at the moment. Early on I'd say stick to anything not your lap and use a changing mat. You can use one that comes with your bag but I used disposables - the Mania ones do just fine, never mind pampers extortionate ones! I use those only for the first while, the poos can be quite explosive. A little experience of poo gone up the back to the vest and babygro and you won't know where to land the child to be cleaned :D

I do have a changing table but only use it at bath time as the bath is underneath the changing table /lid. It's a babylo and can be bought cheaply. Previous experience of putting a baby bath in the main bath or low surface taught me to bathe at my level or prepare to have an achey back. We leave it in our bathroom.

Regarding the sleeping situation.. well I'm still breastfeeding and find it handy to have LO near me just for now. The move to the big cot in the new room is coming soon though. Moses baskets I find you don't get much longevity out of them. So the first bed this time around is a Chicco Lullago, and I love it. It's deeper than a Moses basket, it's sturdy, and we can fold it down and put it in its bag if we need to be away from home. It's been worth every cent. There is also a Chicco next-to-me version which side opens up to match up to the side of your bed, but I prefer Lullago. I haven't even used our travel cot yet, for me they came into their own for playing in safely, maybe a day nap as older babies / toddlers.

The travel cots with bassinet seem to be very popular with American ladies, think they call them 'pack and play's some have mentioned using them from birth, but it wouldn't be for me. We have a generous sided bedroom but the size of a travel cot in the room would still annoy me. Each to their own however, you do end up finding something that works for you :)

You do end up rearranging all your careful arrangements the minute you walk back in the door after the hospital anyway!!

My downstairs changing table is a thick changing mat that is stored in a press and goes on the kitchen table or the sofas in the living room (19 mth old is a very unwilling participant in nappy changes).Couldn't be going up and down to the changing table upstairs once there were two of them!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The baba decided to scare the crap out of me this morning - usually as soon as I get up, she wakes too and starts kicking etc. This morning she decided not to move at all until I was walking back to the car after dropping my son off to school! The little monkey! Must have decided to put Mammy out of her misery before she drove to the hospital in a panic.

Oh Toots hope she is kicking like mad now for you, tis scary alright when yous top and think wait I haven't felt a kick for while..
    In my head now the plan is to leave the moses basket downstairs and use the travel cot upstairs.. We needed a travel cot anywho for visiting the folks so twill be used either way.. If it doesn't work then we can bring the moses basket upstairs.... plenty of options..

Just trying to keep the cat from scratching anything now, tis mad how animals cop there is something about to change...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Just trying to keep the cat from scratching anything now, tis mad how animals cop there is something about to change...

I am being induced tomorrow and still haven't set up the cosleeper because of our feckin cat! We have the pram bassinet on a stand in the sitting room and it's covered so she won't hop in. We are trying to make small changes at a time because her pattern is to pee everywhere if there is too many new things at once. From tomorrow she will be banned from the bedroom so the cosleeper shouldn't affect her that much. I am gonna get my husband to allow her to smell the worn baby clothes over the next few days in preparation for her world to be turned upsidedown!

Ohh best of luck for tomorrow!! Very exciting....
    Yeah while the cats are easier the notions they get or sense is mad.. And the smell from the pee when they do start ohhh I don't even you.. Our fellas isn't being too bad now but I would not trust him not to scratch, I normally don't leave him into the rooms upstairs alone as it is just safer.. The trick with the baby grow is suppose to work great, have ye tried this one before? Must remember to do the same.. Have ye ever used the Feliway plug in? I must say I find them great to calm our chap, he gets the urinary infections when he gets too stressed hahaha :) fecking cat, so I plug them in when I know something is going to happen kinda chills them out

Oh i never thought of that. Its our first baby so we never tried the babygrow thing but I put one of our blankets over the bassinet so our smell transfers. She has been ignoring it since so I think it seems 'safe' now. We left the carseat on the couch for a day so she got that smell too. Its gas the lengths we have to go to!

Oh same here the first... It was a friend said it to me about getting your partner to bring home one of the baby grows from the hospital after so the cat or animals can smell so it,said ti worked a treat and she had three indoor chaps..Hope you have a nice relaxing day planned for yourself today and tomorrow will be magical for ye

I am just pottering but don't feel l am getting anything done. Just chose tomorrow's outfit and am packing a going home outfit for the car. I picked a jersey dress, leggings and boots cos at least I know they will fit. Also threw three 'up to one month' babygrows in a bag in the drawer for my husband to grab in case the baby is too big for the newborn gear I have. I think I am just making jobs up now!

• Advertisement

We had cats when our first was born and they had to be confined to the kitchen and outdoors....I love cats but they will get into the cot and sit on the baby's chest (source of heat), which is obviously so dangerous, so I had to ban them....I wouldn't trust them an inch otherwise, you know what they're like!!

We are lucky (!) In that we really only have two rooms so we will either be in the sitting room or the bedroom with the baby. The cat only hangs out in those two rooms so we always know where she is. She will be barred from the bedroom and there is a catflap in the back door so she can get in and out herself but she can never really be unsupervised with the little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

DOnt have cats but have dogs. Our two still haven’t realised there is an 11 week old in the house....or maybe they are just ignoring him ;)

Ah I don't think the animals care as much that there is another person there, tis more the newness and the change I think that gets them.. Or sharing the attention.. I must say of all the cats I have been around I have never once seen a cat go to snuggle into a baby.. More like they would sit in the cot to take over the kingdom and claim it as their own. then pee in it and walk away :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We had to stop our dog from grooming our son when we brought him home. She was very protective of him - if he was asleep in the pram, she'd sit up on the back of the couch so she could see down into the pram and keep an eye on him. She'd go up and lick him whenever she had the chance, and we didn't mind the odd doggy-kiss but she'd have happily sat there and absolutely soaked the child. She was very gentle though, so it was alright.

She passed away a couple of years ago, and our current dog is a lot more boisterous, so it will be interesting to see how she reacts to a newborn. She's very protective of our son, and follows him around all over the house, but he's 6 and every bit as nuts as her. A teeny person who wakes up and screams every few hours will probably be hugely confusing to her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I must say of all the cats I have been around I have never once seen a cat go to snuggle into a baby..

I think that’s one of those urban myths to be honest. Obviously I’d never leave any animal alone with a kid but don’t think a cat is gonna curl up on a baby.

Hey ladies! This is a bit mank, but works a treat! Bring home a couple of dirty nappies for the dogs and cats to sniff! The smell is obviously stronger than clothes and it's not going to loose it's smell from other environments.

Haha oh I could imagine his face if I asked him, mind he probably would to keep the animals happy...I saw a pic of a cat asleep next to a baby at the end of the cot, but I think that was more the cat was comfy with the baby and the baby went in after the cat was there...

Lol! That's hilarious! Imagine if the OH had to go home on the bus with a dirty nappy in a bag, he'd be sure to get a seat to himself anyway! Actually thinking of nappies, our dog will often try to raid the bin... I hope she doesn't figure out how to get into the nappy bin!

For my son we got a muslin square and got them to wrap that around him when he was being swaddled just after he was born. Hubby took that home for the dog to have a good sniff of.

Just heard the Luas cross city is opening in a couple of weeks so that'll be dead handy for getting in to the Rotunda. I'd imagine parking will be scarce in the run up to Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Very tentatively stepping back in here with a positive test at 4 weeks. I know everyone was recommending a hypnotherapy app, can anyone remember what its called?

Advertisement