Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’m not sure if this thread will get the traffic for this question but rather than start a new thread I’ll ask!

We are expecting our 3rd in November. I have two girls already, one just turned 5 (going on 15) and the yougest is 2 next month. We told them yesterday (well the youngest is oblivious!) but the eldest is extremely excited, knows exactly what’s going on, all interested in how the doctor gets the baby out :O and is full of chat! We were thinking of getting her one of those books aimed at older siblings. Not necessarily about being a big sister or anything, she’s got that bit down but more so what’s going on in Mammys tummy and how long it’s going to take etc we’re currently going through all the usual tactics of quantifying time Mammys birthday, Halloween etc before baby gets here!!

Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It’s waaaay too late but just to leave it here for anyone reading. We got this one ‘waiting for Baby’ for our 3 year old. I was a bit nervous that as a board book it would be too old for him but he loved it. Lots of prompt questions rather than readable text which means we both read it differently to him and he seems to really like that

Waiting for Baby (New Baby) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1846432758?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Great minds Mirrorwall! I actually ended up ordering that one. Unfortunately I think it’s too basic for my 5yr old, I was looking for something a bit meatier for her. My 2yr old likes looking at the pics and pointing at baby etc but I think it’d be perfect for a 3 yr old!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

I’m sure it may be in here somewhere but I don’t have the patience to look so...

Could someone please recommend breast pads? I generally need to start using them from 20 wks on and I’m nearing that time but for the life of me I cannot remember what ones I used last time! My local tesco only have own brand ones which are very plastic like and itch. They had more options last time round.

I’m trying to be prepared this time so I’m not caught out by it all again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

natc wrote: »
    I’m sure it may be in here somewhere but I don’t have the patience to look so...

Could someone please recommend breast pads? I generally need to start using them from 20 wks on and I’m nearing that time but for the life of me I cannot remember what ones I used last time! My local tesco only have own brand ones which are very plastic like and itch. They had more options last time round.

Lidl have just started selling them, not sure of the quality though sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Either of these I find good Tesco own brand ones are awful like wearing sandpaper

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lansinoh were the only ones my boobs didn't scrunch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mini15

Johnson & Johnson’s were the only ones I could ever use that stayed in place and felt comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

Currently using the hot milk washable ones. Nice and soft. Expensive though. Have boots disposable ones as back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can I hide in here for a bit? I'm so afraid I may be up the duff! I'm hoping if I tell about it my period will come and I'll feel stupid. I'm in such a panic I can't differentiate between pregnancy symptoms and pre-menstrual symptoms :pac: Sore boobs etc. I'm mid 40s, two kids already. Out of baby stage for years now. Full sure I'm late, unless my periods have gone from regular as clock work to being 5 weeks apart :eek: Too afraid to buy a pregnancy test for fear of the pharmacist looking at me and thinking...ya clown...have you no better sense at your age :pac: . Or even worse, a condescending, best of look smile. Unless this month things have gone a bit crazy because of my age...oooh maybe it's just the start of menopause! I'll wait a few more days and if nothing will face the test :o

• Advertisement

Oooh best of luck Eek-a-Rama! I hope you get the result you want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

hide away eek-a-rama, thats why this section is here to hide, hope it all works out for you whatever you want x

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CD2

Hello ladies, can anybody recommend a large changing bag big enough for twins? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Hi Folks,

My better half is due early feb(our first) and had initially submitted her Maternity leave to begin 3 weeks before the due date.
    However, she has begun to really struggle in work over the last month. She is based in a private nursing home and they aren't willing to accommodate her with shorter shifts and 'lighter' jobs.
    With that in mind she has decided to finish up work in the next 2 weeks.

Will the GP sign her off work upon her request or is there a way we can adjust the Maternity leave start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Hi Folks,

My better half is due early feb(our first) and had initially submitted her Maternity leave to begin 3 weeks before the due date.
    However, she has begun to really struggle in work over the last month. She is based in a private nursing home and they aren't willing to accommodate her with shorter shifts and 'lighter' jobs.

Will the GP sign her off work upon her request or is there a way we can adjust the Maternity leave start date?

Get the GP to sign her off sick, if she goes on maternity leave early she will have to go back early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi Folks,

Get signed off by the GP or consultant. If she has paid sick leave it’s well worth doing that rather than early maternity leave.
    I’m being signed off from next Monday.

Thanks both for the quick responses!

Is it just a case of asking the GP to simply sign her off or will he need to deem her unfit for work himself?
    No sick pay with her cowboy employer unfortunately but will apply for state benefit.

Thanks both for the quick responses!

Is it just a case of asking the GP to simply sign her off or will he need to deem her unfit for work himself?
    No sick pay with her cowboy employer unfortunately but will apply for state benefit.

If she goes to the GP and says she needs for be signed off now for pregnancy related reasons that should be enough. Mine are always very supportive and understanding for things like that.
    Having a rest before hand is very important. Also you never know when the baby will arrive too. My first arrived at 36 weeks and I hadn’t even started my maternity leave

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Most GPs are very accommodating when it comes to signing patients off on sick leave.

I would imagine working in a nursing home requires having to help lift and move some residents around which is strenuous enough when your not pregnant. So given it’s not the most suitable job in late pregnancy I would say she has a relatively good chance of getting signed off.

I’m not due until Jan 7th but I’ve been signed off since mid November due to back pain and I work in an office so certainly nowhere near as physically demanding as your partners job.

Did her employer carry out a risk assessment when she reported that she was pregnant? There is health and safety leave which can be implemented depending on the risks involved in her job. Might be worth looking in to, citizens information will have plenty of info on that.

She’ll need to get plenty of rest before baby arrives.

Best of luck with it!

Most GPs are very accommodating when it comes to signing patients off on sick leave.

I would imagine working in a nursing home requires having to help lift and move some residents around which is strenuous enough when your not pregnant. So given it’s not the most suitable job in late pregnancy I would say she has a relatively good chance of getting signed off.

I’m not due until Jan 7th but I’ve been signed off since mid November due to back pain and I work in an office so certainly nowhere near as physically demanding as your partners job.

Did her employer carry out a risk assessment when she reported that she was pregnant? There is health and safety leave which can be implemented depending on the risks involved in her job. Might be worth looking in to, citizens information will have plenty of info on that.

She’ll need to get plenty of rest before baby arrives.

Best of luck with it!

Thanks.
    Would you believe they didn't carry out any risk assessment. When requested, a comment was made along the lines of 'usually pregnant employees just got on with it'! Also, when she submitted her Mat leave form, she was told 'she better not leave before Xmas'.
    Anyway, the employers conduct is an issue for another day.

We've had a look at H & S leave and it does look the most obvious route( i.e. applicable if an employer cannot accommodate the pregnant employer), there's just a concern having her employer sign off on that may result in difficulties!

Best of luck to you too, and I hope your back isn't giving you too much trouble.

Fairly confident after the helpful replies above that our GP will be understanding so thanks everyone!

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Would you believe they didn't carry out any risk assessment. When requested, a comment was made along the lines of 'usually pregnant employees just got on with it'! Also, when she submitted her Mat leave form, she was told 'she better not leave before Xmas'.
    Anyway, the employers conduct is an issue for another day.

We've had a look at H & S leave and it does look the most obvious route( i.e. applicable if an employer cannot accommodate the pregnant employer), there's just a concern having her employer sign off on that may result in difficulties!

Best of luck to you too, and I hope your back isn't giving you too much trouble.

Fairly confident after the helpful replies above that our GP will be understanding so thanks everyone!

That’s really bad from re: the assessment especially given the type of work your wife has to do.
    The employer can’t argue with the sign off from her GP

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ruby2Shoes

Can anyone tell me where I could buy maternity clothes in an actual shop in Dublin City centre or Blanchardstiwn or Dundrum shopping centres please? I’m struggling with online and need comfortable stuff for my last few months. Thanks

Ruby2Shoes wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I could buy maternity clothes in an actual shop in Dublin City centre or Blanchardstiwn or Dundrum shopping centres please? I’m struggling with online and need comfortable stuff for my last few months. Thanks

Jo Jo Maman Bebe on Wicklow St has always been a favourite of mine. Their stuff isn’t the cheapest but it lasts. I’m on my third pregnancy now and most of the clothes are still in great working order. They’ve also been worn by my sister on her pregnancies too.
    In Blanchardstown you have Mothercare which will have some maternity clothes but their range isn’t great. H&M are also there and have a maternity section. New Look out in the retail park has a maternity section too but again it’s small. I’m not sure if the Next in Blanchardstown does maternity clothes but I know the one in Liffey Valley does and the H&M there is bigger than Blanchardstown too.

When registering baby's name with HSE do both parents really need to attend if baby is taking Fathers name and couple are unmarried?
    Asking as tis logisitically awkward for us and will require taking a day of annual leave.

Beautiful baby arrived last week ðŸ˜

When registering baby's name with HSE do both parents really need to attend if baby is taking Fathers name and couple are unmarried?
    Asking as tis logisitically awkward for us and will require taking a day of annual leave.

With the HSE? I have two and am due my 3rd this week and don’t remember registering the babies with the HSE...... granted I’m lucky that I can remember my own name these days.
    When registering the babies for their birth certificates you don’t need both parents to be present. When our first was registered we both went but my husband was away for work for our second and I went on my own and it wasn’t a problem at all.

You can sign a declaration thing to allow your partner to register the birth if you are unmarried or your partner can sign a declaration thing to add his name to the birth cert. All the info is on Citizens Advice.

When our first was registered we both went but my husband was away for work for our second and I went on my own and it wasn’t a problem at all.

It is assumed that your husband is the father unless you say otherwise. There is a bit of extra hassle if a couple is unmarried. My husband registered our son's birth on his own but it obviously had both our names on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We were told my OH had to come in each time as we are unmarried.

jlm29 wrote: »
    We were told my OH had to come in each time as we are unmarried.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if they would enforce that stipulation or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Thanks. Wasn't sure if they would enforce that stipulation or not.

They do, though As above, it seems as though you can get a declaration signed, if the father can’t attend. I didn’t know this, but I’m sure it has to be sworn and witnessed, etc. It’s probably just as easy to take the leave and attend!

Advertisement