Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

wow, really can't speak highly enough of Holles Street! Longest appt ever though...5 1/2 hours!

Doc did a mini scan for me, and then i went up to book my 18-22 week scan. I was 18 weeks according to my chart, but told i couldnt get an appointment for 7 weeks. So the head of the department got me to skip the que and gave me my scan there and then! So amazing! Baby is a SERIOUS wriggler. Wouldnt stop moving in either scans, but woman doing the scan got me the best pics i've ever seen. Apparently I'm only 16.3 weeks though!!! So being brought back for more scans at 24 weeks.

I was also referred to physio, social work and hospital psych....they felt all of that was necessary for some reason. But oh well, at least I know I'm being well looked after. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thats great news!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am so glad it all went well for you and you have your first pictures of baby:)

Thanks moonbeam. It's crazy how you just see that little thing moving around n the screen for the first time, and from there on in nothing else seems to matter anymore.

I'm looking at the scan pics everyday....seriously impressed with babies brain. It's so gonna be a smart one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its pretty magical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - the thing is, it was red blood - was told that it can happen with the progesterone that I am on as it can cause irritation. My blood sugars are down at the moment so Shane and I are both up late making sure that the two of us are OK.
    CathyMoran wrote: »
    Thanks, am still so scared though - we are both doing everything we can for our little one to have a chance - the kicking was adorable.

Sorry, very busy trying to organise finding a home for myself, the small fella and Shane in Dublin! V hectic few days. I was terrified the last day reading your post about the blood. I am delighted that your doing well again Cathy. I can only imagine hoe you are feeling each day with nervousness!

Wait til the little one is bigger and kicking. It can get very uncomfortable and you would be fit to yell at night when you are trying to sleep but they wont let you. I suppose it is their way of getting you ready for the months ahead!

I am delighted everything is going well for you:)
    hacked wrote: »
    wow, really can't speak highly enough of Holles Street! Longest appt ever though...5 1/2 hours!

Doc did a mini scan for me, and then i went up to book my 18-22 week scan. I was 18 weeks according to my chart, but told i couldnt get an appointment for 7 weeks. So the head of the department got me to skip the que and gave me my scan there and then! So amazing! Baby is a SERIOUS wriggler. Wouldnt stop moving in either scans, but woman doing the scan got me the best pics i've ever seen. Apparently I'm only 16.3 weeks though!!! So being brought back for more scans at 24 weeks.

I was also referred to physio, social work and hospital psych....they felt all of that was necessary for some reason. But oh well, at least I know I'm being well looked after. :)

I was giving the social workers too, because of my family situation (circus to say the least) they are only doing it to make you feel safe and comfortable! They were great to me. I think everyone is giving physio appointments though. Glad they spent ages with you, in the Rotunda I was there at 8am and didnt get out for hours either!:):):)

Flipping heck lads...i am having the worst pains and cramps!! Equally as painful as a really bad period. This is so uncool. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

If you are feeling that ill go to the maternity clinic, they will not mind. Hugs!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Head in to the hospital. It's probably nothing but best get checked out.

Take care.

Thanks. I had a warm bath and that helped for a minute. The pain seems to all be on one side, I've read on here befor that that's not good, so I got a bit worried. I'm sure it's nothing...I'm just slightly miffed that I feel like im about to start menstruating!
    If it doesn't go away or gets worse by tomorrow I'll head into the clinic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Holles Street and the other maternity hospitals run a 24 hour, 7 day week- emergency pregnancy related service. You can literally turn up at the door- they will take you in and and do a quick assessment which will normally include an ultrasound- to make sure baby is ok. If you're in pain- you *need* to get it checked out. If its a false alarm, fine, but you owe it to yourself and baby to take as good care of both of you as possible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

smccarrick wrote: »
    Holles Street and the other maternity hospitals run a 24 hour, 7 day week- emergency pregnancy related service. You can literally turn up at the door- they will take you in and and do a quick assessment which will normally include an ultrasound- to make sure baby is ok. If you're in pain- you *need* to get it checked out. If its a false alarm, fine, but you owe it to yourself and baby to take as good care of both of you as possible.
    exactly girls dont be shy... if you have any doubts at all.. go straight in... xxx I wasnt even a patient and they were so good 2 me :) xx

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Hi guys, I'm based in Cork, am 15 weeks gone, and decided to check in, nice to chat to people in similar mindframe. Had my first scan in CUMH last month, everything fine. Going to the Midwifes clinic, which I've heard is excellent, and I must say I found it very pleasant and relaxing.
    Anyone else from Cork reading this??
    No major problems for me at the mo, seem to be over the nausea, which is great.
    Just started taking liquid iron which is awful, like drinking rust!!:p

fi1979 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm based in Cork, am 15 weeks gone, and decided to check in, nice to chat to people in similar mindframe. Had my first scan in CUMH last month, everything fine. Going to the Midwifes clinic, which I've heard is excellent, and I must say I found it very pleasant and relaxing.
    Anyone else from Cork reading this??
    No major problems for me at the mo, seem to be over the nausea, which is great.

congrats!

and fair play....the tablet form is bad enough for me...ughhh.

I'm 24 weeks today! My little man is now viable outside the womb. I know it's nowhere near 100% survival but it's miles and miles better than 0%. Touch wood he'll keep on cooking for another 3 monts though!

I'm craving lots of red meat right now so my iron levels are grand thankfully, hate having to take iron, it has some uncomfortable side effects. I have heard that mixing the liquid iron in with OJ helps both with the taste and absorbtion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'm 24 weeks today! My little man is now viable outside the womb.

It's a nice milestone that alright. We're just ahead of you and given that we're likely to go over we may end up in the hospital on the same day. :)
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    I have heard that mixing the liquid iron in with OJ helps both with the taste and absorbtion.

I heard that too. My mrs was taking that liquid iron on her last pregnancy. Galfer tablets on this one. She's craving tortellini pasta with spinach in it. She says she doesn't even like it that "the baby is making me". :D

I'm so sorry for all the questions the last week! Pregnancy is being a bit of a bastard to me at the moment!

I've not been feeling great...I caught two seperate things going around, and now my body is just being cruel. I spent the day projectile vommiting yesterday because baby has clearly decided its going to be fussy. Because of this my diet hasn't been as great as it normally would. Is this dangerous? I'm sure I'd be able to tell if /i was lacking in something, i usually just start craving it. I have prenatal multi vitamins...but they are big horse pills that just make me get even more sick, so i can't really take them.

Also, baby seems really active last night and this morning. It almost feels like gas sometimes, but clealy isn't. Also resembles the churning of my stomach. My baby makes me want to vomit...how awful is that? Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hey everyone, no need to get excited, i'm not joining this forum any time soon!!But just wanted to pass on what I know about iron to Khannie (or rather Mrs Khannie!) and Das Kitty;

The vitamin C in orange juice is actually needed to absorb iron properly, so if you can take the drops in juice that actually is an iron-complete meal!!In home ec we were taught this when making meals, to make them totally balanced.

Das Kitty: my aunt always said to take the iron supplements(if needed) right before you go to sleep so you don't have to be awake for the unpleasantness!!

Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

fi1979 wrote: »

If you down it in half a glass of orange juice while holding your nose, and have a slice of toast or something ready to eat straight away to get rid of the taste, it's not as bad!

Hang on - pregnancy thread - what am I doing here?!

Damn boredom! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

hacked I would suggest that you talk to your dr about it asap.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    hacked I would suggest that you talk to your dr about it asap.

Thanks! Although I swear my doctor is going to be sick of me after this last week!

that idea about taking it before bed sounds good. I'm conscious tho, people warned me to be careful of my teeth with the liquid, so I'm taking it and then rushing to brush the teeth straight away. Dunno how true that it, there are so many old wives tales about!

Hacked you're sounding pretty stressed about the whole thing. I appreciate things aren't easy, but worrying too much about things probably isn't helping either. :(

nah im actually pretty ok. I just have a lot of questions that probably aren't worth waisting my doctors time. Also, i live on my own and am on my own most of the time...so don't really have anyone much to talk to/ask...so i bother you guy's instead. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Bother us away... jeez I remember all the questions I had. It's endless! It doesn't stop afterwards either!

What is peoples take on this? Is it just me but seems particularly bad. I've a bit of irritable bowel, so I'm dreadful in the afternoons!!:mad:

tooooootally normal. My first trimester I was worse than an old man. Seriously....atrocious. My 2nds trimester ive moved on to burping.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No:)
    They are parasites!
    That is what my gp and consultant told me during my 9 months of "morning sickness"

Do not be afraid to ask the doc or consultant questions,they are paid to answer them;)
    hacked wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for all the questions the last week! Pregnancy is being a bit of a bastard to me at the moment!

I've not been feeling great...I caught two seperate things going around, and now my body is just being cruel. I spent the day projectile vommiting yesterday because baby has clearly decided its going to be fussy. Because of this my diet hasn't been as great as it normally would. Is this dangerous? I'm sure I'd be able to tell if /i was lacking in something, i usually just start craving it. I have prenatal multi vitamins...but they are big horse pills that just make me get even more sick, so i can't really take them.

Also, baby seems really active last night and this morning. It almost feels like gas sometimes, but clealy isn't. Also resembles the churning of my stomach. My baby makes me want to vomit...how awful is that? Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I was nauseous on the liquid iron, so I used the tablets! The only thing is you have to have vitamin C to allow iron to be absorbed by your system.

Also do NOT drink any caffeinated drinks an hour before or after food as it drains alot of the iron from your system.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

I am taking pregnacare which contain iron. Both the pharmacist and the midwife told me I do not need seperate iron, and my haemaglobin is perfect. None of the nasty taste problems, it's great.

• Advertisement

My back has started acting up :(

I have had backpain in the past, but it's different at the moment. My bump has started to lift away at my rib level now and it seems to be pulling the muscles all around my bra line in my back out of whack, I just have this ring of muscular ache almost all the time. :(

I'm still doing my lower back exercises in an attempt to help it but it doesn't seem to be working, I'm going to have to go to the physio I'm afraid. I have my next checkup in 2 weeks, hopefully I can hold out till then to get advice from the consultant.

On the plus side I've got most of my shopping done now and my hospital bag nearly sorted.

Anyone know how many disposable knickers you're supposed to have? I have 10 pairs in there but I'm not sure what the leaflet I got means by "a supply" :P

Jaysus, top of page again!

Advertisement