Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    God pregnancies, health problems and root canals, you must be fit to kill!!!!

I refused to take anything when pregnant other than lemsip (had a terrible flu and chest infection last winter) I suffered for a fortnight with the chest infection and the doctors could not get me to take anything. All I could think of is I could get a reaction!!!! Glad you are getting the vaccine, I rather a few days of headaches than losing a baby! The prevention is far better than the virus!

Keep yourself safe, I am delighted little one is telling you its okay:):):)
    I had to take an anti-histamine (was going into severe shock)...no wonder I was so worried at the begining.

It just feels like your tummy has gas, but it moves in a short space and it does not hurt - I did feel one definite kick, have heard the term "fluttering", does that make sense - would hate to be imagining that it is baby - Shane has very sensitive hands and he can tell how active baby is, I know that it is due to happen next week but I guess all babies are different? Hope you do not mind the questions?

Thanks for the welcome! Im sure i will have plenty of questions a bit further on!
    They are great here...it is a learning curve for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I had to take an anti-histamine (was going into severe shock)...no wonder I was so worried at the begining.

It just feels like your tummy has gas, but it moves in a short space and it does not hurt - I did feel one definite kick, have heard the term "fluttering", does that make sense - would hate to be imagining that it is baby - Shane has very sensitive hands and he can tell how active baby is, I know that it is due to happen next week but I guess all babies are different? Hope you do not mind the questions?

Cathy you know more than other women here, there are no silly questions:)

It took ages for me to feel anything (alot of fluid) but I have pics of my in London at 14 weeks with a bump!!!! The fluttering is like the feeling of butterflies. Just because the book says one thing, its not gospel, each baby is different (I personally think Aidan has read the development book and ignores it. They are just average dates, some mums feel them far earlier or like me far later. I am just so delighted you are feeling this, it really means little one is happy and healthy!
    :):):):):)

Cathy you know more than other women here, there are no silly questions:)

It took ages for me to feel anything (alot of fluid) but I have pics of my in London at 14 weeks with a bump!!!! The fluttering is like the feeling of butterflies. Just because the book says one thing, its not gospel, each baby is different (I personally think Aidan has read the development book and ignores it. They are just average dates, some mums feel them far earlier or like me far later. I am just so delighted you are feeling this, it really means little one is happy and healthy!
    :):):):):)
    I like the idea of butterflies - that makes sense! Thanks a million for reassuring me - I have to wear maternity all the time now (have done since week 9) but I was badly underweight at the begining, never thought that I would gain the weight, eating was a real struggle but my stomach has actually grown a lot which I did not think was possible - because mine is up in my chest it was harder for it to expand but it did...my insides are wierd! I never even thought that I would get to 8 stone again in my life...sorry, I know that this is not a typical pregnancy situation, I was scared at the begining that I would not be able to gain enough weight to sustain a pregnancy - my family would be delighted if I kept the weight that I have gained so far...did not realise that I was so skeletal....sorry, it is not a rant, I am thrilled but just a bit shocked how much baby as done for me.

I like the idea of butterflies - that makes sense! Thanks a million for reassuring me - I have to wear maternity all the time now (have done since week 9) but I was badly underweight at the begining, never thought that I would gain the weight, eating was a real struggle but my stomach has actually grown a lot which I did not think was possible - because mine is up in my chest it was harder for it to expand but it did...my insides are wierd! I never even thought that I would get to 8 stone again in my life...sorry, I know that this is not a typical pregnancy situation, I was scared at the begining that I would not be able to gain enough weight to sustain a pregnancy - my family would be delighted if I kept the weight that I have gained so far...did not realise that I was so skeletal....sorry, it is not a rant, I am thrilled but just a bit shocked how much baby as done for me.

Well regardless, you'll have a baby jelly belly for a while after the baby is born (worse if you get a section) I was 9 stone when I got pregnant, because of the pregnancy, I ate breakfast (I never did it before) and I went up to 11 and a half stone, I am now 10 stone but I look the same as before and fit into all of my old clothes.

I got very big VERY fast! Always wear comfortable clothes. If nothing else you'll be comfy! Have you sickness still? Any foods starting to niggle at you?

• Advertisement

Well regardless, you'll have a baby jelly belly for a while after the baby is born (worse if you get a section) I was 9 stone when I got pregnant, because of the pregnancy, I ate breakfast (I never did it before) and I went up to 11 and a half stone, I am now 10 stone but I look the same as before and fit into all of my old clothes.

I got very big VERY fast! Always wear comfortable clothes. If nothing else you'll be comfy! Have you sickness still? Any foods starting to niggle at you?
    Breakfast is still out - they said that if I went up to 10 stone that would be great...cant see that being a problem now! I am still getting the morning sickness (well up to last night). I was a size 6 though at the begining of pregnancy...maternity tights are a lifesaver...better get to bed to Shane, I imagine that the angel is sleeping, he is so cute...thanks again for all of your help.

Edit, yes, I go off foods at a scary pace, something can be fine one day and make me rush to the bathroom the next...I also get a lot of cravings...

A lot of the time, if you crave it, your body is lacking something in it, still cannot explain why I was up at 4 one tuesday night eating icecream though!

You will always have good and bad days. We'll talk to you again soon missis, keep us posted!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went up to 10 stone when pregnant too,no where near back to normal yet.
    I found maternity leave caused me to put on more weight then having a baby!!
    Cathy do not take the books too seriously everyone is different. I loved feeling movement esp in the beginning when your not too sure if it was baby or wind;)

Jesus, I was a walrus so with my 11 and a half stone! I am only down to 10 now. I find myself eating small amounts of food all day long though!

God the day of the first kick, it was october last year, I was alone so I just lifted up my top and watched as he kicked. It was the most amazing feeling ever!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ha! Ye shower of skinnies! ;)

I'm looking at at least 13 stone. I'm heavy for my size anyway, 5'4" and 11.5 stone and I normally wear a 12.

For me the butterflies analogy never made sense. It was more like having wind but not farting! LOL. If you know where your womb roughly is and the windy feeling is to the front and not followed by farting you can be pretty sure that's baby. Hubby couldn't feel him for ages after I could though.

• Advertisement

Shane refused to feel my stomach, only ever did it once. It freaked him out! One day he saw Aidan moving in my stomach and he said it reminded him of a scene from Alien.
    What I hate most is the stretch marks!!!! Still very scarred.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Mike loves feeling and seeing home move about in there, the only thing he found weird was when he had hiccups and my tummy turned into a gremlin that had water spilled on it (almost as hairy too!).

I thought that looked freaky too in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I didn't put on much weight in pregnancy at all. Loved it, back to pre pregnancy weight but I am overweight anyways so still trying to lose some.

I used to sit on my chair some nights with my top lifted just watching Addison moving. She was always very active in the night time. Dave used to love feeling her when she kicked and we both used to listen to the doppler together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lemontree

Is anyone else here overdue??

Am 4 days overdue now and have given up hope of baby coming out by himself so jus waiting to be induced on tues! At my appointment yesterday d doc had trouble finding the heartbeat at first and scared the crap outa me, not gud for hormonal pregnant ladies! But i kno evrythings fine as its been moving non stop all day!

Lemontree wrote: »
    Is anyone else here overdue??

Am 4 days overdue now and have given up hope of baby coming out by himself so jus waiting to be induced on tues! At my appointment yesterday d doc had trouble finding the heartbeat at first and scared the crap outa me, not gud for hormonal pregnant ladies! But i kno evrythings fine as its been moving non stop all day!

I went over with Aidan, had to have induction. It is nerve wreckingly scary when you are waiting to be induced.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

God, I'm told that I am what every pregnant woman wants to be...but I hate it! I know I'll be grateful after the birth maybe, but now I feel like an alien. I was always underweight, but in the last 8 months before I got pregnancy put on a good bit of weight and made it up to almost 8 stone. I think I was roughly 8 stone.
    I was 50 kilos when the doctor first weighed me at the beginning...8 stone approx. In almost 6 months (im 22 weeks now) I've put on 2 kilos...just did the conversion....8.1 stone!!

It worries me, but apparently im eating healthily, so doctors arent worried. I look like a freak though...big belly with sticks propping me up for legs! Euw!!

And I feel the same as Das Kitty. Don't get the butterflies anaology at all....my little seamonkey feels like wind too!

Cathy...so sorry to hear everything thats going on. Don't listen to the books. I felt my baby's first strong movement at 13 weeks (and I SAW the first stretch at 13 weeks!! ) and first strong kick at 14 weeks.According to the books that doesn't seem possible. It is. Everyone is different! xx

Good to hear from you - I got one of those things so that we can hear the heartbeat - is not supposed to work for another 6 weeks but we heard baby this evening - how are you keeping, hugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

hi, im also one of the more petite pregnant women out there and have actually lost a stone since becomming pregnant but not due to morning sickness as i have had none, more to do with no more partying and not drinking 3 lattés per day in work!

cathy i have been feeling bubbles in my tummy at night too and i am 14 + 5. have been hearing heartbeat on the doppler from 13 weeks and saw the baby move around and suck its thumb from 12+4 at my nuchal fold scan.

I'm close to 8stone 4lb now...for me that is huge but I am glad that I am managing to put on weight. I guess that size 6 is a distant memory for now (gladly)...have an eye check tomorrow because of my diabetes...not looking forward to that but at least I have the scan on Friday.

hey cathy -- yeah i know...i used to be close to a size 6 before too! Happy with my weight now though!

Aw wow, that must have been so exciting! I was considering getting the doppler, but my baby is so active it would be waisted money. I'm begging the little thing to just stop moving for a bit!!

I'm ok. Been feeling less sick, but was diagnosed with pre natal depression...so thats not been much fun! I have an appointment with the holles street psych to discuss meds in 2 weeks, but i dont know if i want them. Because im so far along, the risk to the baby is almost non existant...but still!

• Advertisement

Good to hear from you - I got one of those things so that we can hear the heartbeat - is not supposed to work for another 6 weeks but we heard baby this evening

Oh Cathy that is wonderful! I am so glad little one is doing so well:):):) I knew this one was a fighter!
    hacked wrote: »
    Cathy...so sorry to hear everything thats going on. Don't listen to the books. I felt my baby's first strong movement at 13 weeks (and I SAW the first stretch at 13 weeks!! ) and first strong kick at 14 weeks.According to the books that doesn't seem possible. It is. Everyone is different! xx

Exactly, the book is just averages, I was nearly 5 months before I ever felt proper movement. Some start moving early, some wait til very late.
    hacked wrote: »
    I'm ok. Been feeling less sick, but was diagnosed with pre natal depression...so thats not been much fun! I have an appointment with the holles street psych to discuss meds in 2 weeks, but i dont know if i want them. Because im so far along, the risk to the baby is almost non existant...but still!

It is up to you whether or not you take any tablets. Don't be ashamed of having pre-ND, it is a hormone thing! Plus not helped by the stress you have had up to now, how are things going for you now, dad still being as ass??

It is up to you whether or not you take any tablets. Don't be ashamed of having pre-ND, it is a hormone thing! Plus not helped by the stress you have had up to now, how are things going for you now, dad still being as ass??

Well, I have bipolar type II, so I was always high risk for post natal depression. Pre natal depression can sometimes increase the risk of getting post natal depression also. Because I'll be 6 months by the time I see the doctor, I'm considering taking the meds to do some damage control. If I can catch this before it gets too bad I should be fine...and because I have a history of severe depression, I don't want to risk it! Nevertheless, it's still a mind battle!

Daddy is and always will be an ass. :rolleyes: He was in causing huge amounts of stress and trouble a a month or so back, and I finally got rid of him. The extremely mild version of events is that he couldn't care less about the baby (or me of course). Apparently I am ridiculous for expecting him to not only be in the childs life consistently, but to actually give us a bit of money for bits and pieces!! I'm such a bitch really. Haven't heard from him in over a month as he's decided he can't pay for the child and see it...so why do either? He'd rather aquander his money on what he considers his "life" and forget we exist. I'm just happy he's out of my hair for now!

How are you and your little man getting on? Been a while since I've talked to you!

Hacked i am going through the same thing with sperm donor of the century. from the day i told him i was pregnant he told me he wanted me to have an abortion and didnt want the baby. i told him that he should have thought about that before sleeping with me as abortion would never be on my agenda. he stopped talking to me since then and that was weeks ago. he wants nothing to do with me or the baby as it will interfere i presume with his drinking time and days down the gym. selfish ass.

Hacked i am going through the same thing with sperm donor of the century. from the day i told him i was pregnant he told me he wanted me to have an abortion and didnt want the baby. i told him that he should have thought about that before sleeping with me as abortion would never be on my agenda. he stopped talking to me since then and that was weeks ago. he wants nothing to do with me or the baby as it will interfere i presume with his drinking time and days down the gym. selfish ass.

Ah no. I'm really sorry to hear that honey. I think there's a few of us on the boards with sperm donors! I honestly don't know what's wrong with young men in this part of the world...part of me really wants to have a boy so I can raise him to be a man!

How are you coping? And how far along are you?

Fair play to you. I feel the same way. No matter what way this child has happened, it is a precious life in my eyes. Foetus or not, I feel it move, I see it on scans, I hear its heart beat, and I couldn't imagine having an abortion!

When I read a post like that I wish I could give you a hug. My mother for years was running around after my dad for maintenence. Just remember by a court of law he could be forced to pay it and although I am still angry at my mother for being a b!tch when she finally did get it, I would say take the Basturd to the cleaners!!!!!!

But at the same time you may be better off without him in yer lives forever. Do whatever is right for you and baby, but if you cannot take the financial pressure then take the git for his half!

Sadly more often than not the men get to run away and stick their head in the sand about their children, I do have a best friend whose dad raised her.

Little man is doing great, he is going to Cork overnight tomorrow with me, we have a few jobs to do there. We are getting ready to move to Dublin in the next few weeks

i am hoping i can cope without a cent from him. there are a few other things that have come to light in recent months and lets just say he is not the person i thought he was. basically a walter mitty and i think he has serious mental health issues so for that reason (and that he is the scum of the earth!) i dont want him to pay for a child i dont want him around. as i said to the sperm donor himself, im glad its nurture over nature, because i wouldnt wish any child the brain difficiences you seem to have. shockingly no reply! we are better off without him. and thanks for the kind words!

Not getting financial help fron the vanker means he has little right to be in the childs life. All the text books say that parents are more often than not better off with both parents, but from personal experience I can honestly say there are times when that is not the best for baby. I came from that background, in fairness though I could have done better without either parent!!!!!

oh god sorry to hear that! im sure we could all say the same at times haha

some of my close friends are single mums and they are a total inspiration to me. some of the strongest women i know and i will be taking many leaves out of their books on raising baby alone. kinda looking forward to it actually, im a bit of a control freak by nature!

wolfpawnat -- Oh wow! Good luck with the move, I do not envy you! Hope you are getting some help!
    I have my ups and downs. I get scared and moody and revert to a child and just want my mummy, but really I'll be ok and I know it.

hilton hater too -- I am the same!!! He wasn't the person I thought he was. He lied a lot....ended up being a complete waster when the full truth came out. I respect your attitude!
    I'm the same....I don't want him in my life spewing his crap, and the stress of trying to get money out of him is useless. Especially as he lives accross the pond. It won't be easy, but we'll manage!

Are you working? Because there are allowances you should be able to get. As well as child benefit.

• Advertisement

im working part time for now, 20 hours per week but only the last 6 months. is there really some kind of support i could get? wouldnt go for it if i didnt have to but paying a mortgage alone etc etc and then the baby.. things will not be easy

Advertisement