Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

oh god sorry to hear that! im sure we could all say the same at times haha

Well I always think that my parents **** ups showed my how NOT to raise Aidan. I am lucky to have Shane in Aidans life but the minute you hold your baby in your arms you will not want a fecker there ruining it for you as you hold it for the first time.
    hacked wrote: »
    wolfpawnat -- Oh wow! Good luck with the move, I do not envy you! Hope you are getting some help!
    I have my ups and downs. I get scared and moody and revert to a child and just want my mummy, but really I'll be ok and I know it.

The baby will give you someone to look after that hopefully will take your mind off your PND

I dont get any help off Shane, he is in college, I have to keep 3 people going on €230 a week including paying €50 for rent before I get so much as a dropof formula for Aidan. It is tough but you will do anything to click everything into place for the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

im working part time for now, 20 hours per week but only the last 6 months. is there really some kind of support i could get? wouldnt go for it if i didnt have to but paying a mortgage alone etc etc and then the baby.. things will not be easy

Listen, I'm going to send you a pm. :)

Wolfpawnat-- oh god i feel the same! My parents are still together, but we all wonder why. I hopefully won't make their mistakes...just new ones of my own creation! haha!

Do you not get any more than 230 euro? Surely you must be entitled to something more? Do you get child benefit?

Oh, and I always mean to ask. Any plans on when you'll return to college?

hacked wrote: »
    Wolfpawnat-- oh god i feel the same! My parents are still together, but we all wonder why. I hopefully won't make their mistakes...just new ones of my own creation! haha!

Do you not get any more than 230 euro? Surely you must be entitled to something more? Do you get child benefit?

Oh, and I always mean to ask. Any plans on when you'll return to college?

We will make mistakes as parents, but I know I can't be as bad as my parents, physically impossible.

Sadly no I get rent allowance 200€ short of the cost of the place and only Jobseekers allowance and the usual childrens allowance.

Was going to go back, even made all the plans to and got the vaccines but I wont be able to afford the creche, Will cost me between 450-977 a month. I cant do that!:( really depressed by it

That just doesn't sound right to me...I'm on social welfare at the moment and it would seem i am entitled to quite a bit when the baby comes. We won't have much...but 230 seems so little!

Don't be depressed about college. You WILL get back...somehow or other you will. You were so determined to go in the first place...hell you even when while you were pregnant....fair play! You'll get back, I have no doubts.
    The way I'm looking at it, I don't know what will happen in the future or what my child will be like, what it's needswill be etc. I just keep thinking I won't go back till he or she starts school....that way if I get to go back any earlier...its a bonus.
    Don't give up...you'll get there! (although i know that doesnt make it any easier) hug!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Jaysus girls ye've been busy on this thread!

I have a total waster of a father so I wouldn't wish it on any child. He has both mental illnesses and is an alcoholic. He was sober for about 8 years, then he did something which resulted in him getting attacked by a guy with a hammer and he ended up back on the drink. Thing is, even when he was medicated and not drinking he was still an utter bollix. Mam had to eventually pat him to leave. For these reasons I would say to the two girls if these guys are the ****s they seem to be and have no interest let them off. They may come back in years to come but will have to prove that contact is in the interest of the child. My Dad is the only person in my life that I have ever wished dead. At the moment when I give birth I won't be able to text everyone until I'm home in case he finds out and comes to the hospital and I'm trapped. :( least he doesn't know where I live.

Other stuff ye're talking about...

I got a Doppler at 14 weeks, I've used it 4 times. It was pretty clear that baby hated the thing, kept moving away. Last time I used it he kicked it so hard he nearly deafened me so I took the battery out and put it away. I can feel him constantly now so would only use it if he went quiet for a day or something. They're really noisy inside the womb

And finally...

We have our second hospital appointment at 10am so have my list of questions ready and a sample jar in the mobile phone pocket of my handbag ;) . God I hope it's normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Das Kitty wrote: »
    At the moment when I give birth I won't be able to text everyone until I'm home in case he finds out and comes to the hospital and I'm trapped. :( least he doesn't know where I live.

Das Kitty, the security guys in the hospital are effing brilliant. If your father does manage to find out your whereabouts just call a midwife and get her to alert security. They'll remove him from the hospital quick as a flash. Happened while I was in the Rotunda with a girl beside me...

Jaysus girls ye've been busy on this thread!

I have a total waster of a father so I wouldn't wish it on any child. He has both mental illnesses and is an alcoholic. He was sober for about 8 years, then he did something which resulted in him getting attacked by a guy with a hammer and he ended up back on the drink. Thing is, even when he was medicated and not drinking he was still an utter bollix. Mam had to eventually pat him to leave. For these reasons I would say to the two girls if these guys are the ****s they seem to be and have no interest let them off. They may come back in years to come but will have to prove that contact is in the interest of the child. My Dad is the only person in my life that I have ever wished dead. At the moment when I give birth I won't be able to text everyone until I'm home in case he finds out and comes to the hospital and I'm trapped. :( least he doesn't know where I live.

Other stuff ye're talking about...

I got a Doppler at 14 weeks, I've used it 4 times. It was pretty clear that baby hated the thing, kept moving away. Last time I used it he kicked it so hard he nearly deafened me so I took the battery out and put it away. I can feel him constantly now so would only use it if he went quiet for a day or something. They're really noisy inside the womb

And finally...

We have our second hospital appointment at 10am so have my list of questions ready and a sample jar in the mobile phone pocket of my handbag ;) . God I hope it's normal!

Haha yeah sorry about that! I think there was a number of us mummies up late. Bloody child can't even scream yet and it's already keeping me up! :P

I agree about the dad situation. I'm all for Father's Rights...but with anyone who has rights...they need to prove they deserve them! I think it's the same for the mummies. For anyone really. Prove you will be a good thing in both mummy and babies life, and there ya go. No problem. Act the maggot, be a problem and hinder instead of help...and whats the point?

You make me feel better about the doppler now! I feel abnormal for not wanting to hear my babies heartbeat all the time. My baby is just so active I'm not bothered. Even on a quiet day I'll feel a kick or two or a few squirms. I don't think my baby likes any of the scans or foetal heart monitors either...i frequently hear kicks!

Oh and good luck with the second appoitnment! Fingers crossed for your urine sample! I don't think the anti biotics got rid of my 2 kidney infections this last week....so I feel your dread. Let us know how you get on. xx

I'm back! All good, everything normal and baby is head down as I suspected. He could well move again but I'm fairly confident I can tell myself now from the kicks.

Don't have to go back till 34 weeks!

Deliorah!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm back! All good, everything normal and baby is head down as I suspected. He could well move again but I'm fairly confident I can tell myself now from the kicks.

Don't have to go back till 34 weeks!

Deliorah!
    Delighted for you and glad that it all went well. Am still nervous about our scan tomorrow...

• Advertisement

Will be thinking of you. All will be grand though guys, try not to worry and enjoy having a good look at your little one.

Are you having another scan between this one and the 20 week one?

Was delighted with my urine sample (LOL), was a bit worried about GD but great to get the all clear so I can still have my sweet stuff. :D

Will be thinking of you. All will be grand though guys, try not to worry and enjoy having a good look at your little one.

Are you having another scan between this one and the 20 week one?

Was delighted with my urine sample (LOL), was a bit worried about GD but great to get the all clear so I can still have my sweet stuff. :D
    Diabetic pregnancies tend to get scanned a lot more, having said that, it is only for about 30 seconds so I do not feel too bad about baby, I dont think that our one minds, it is quite happy to sleep (much to my worry), I like to see it moving in the scan. Have to run off for an eye test now, part of the joys of being diabetic and pregnant - we are doing everything we can for the not so little one (I check every 1.5 hours at night that the bs is OK as mine are not stable but we are both very tired. I would never forgive myself if this little one did not have every chance, especially with our past history of mis, I still feel that I did things wrong, I cant help that.

Baby was really active last night, I had a curry so maybe that did it to it...however I temporarily gained more weight as a result and am going to be killed today in the clinic...I hate the weigh in, I know that the weight gain is only short term (am also constipated), will be put on a diet, not nice :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    We will make mistakes as parents, but I know I can't be as bad as my parents, physically impossible.

Sadly no I get rent allowance 200€ short of the cost of the place and only Jobseekers allowance and the usual childrens allowance.

Was going to go back, even made all the plans to and got the vaccines but I wont be able to afford the creche, Will cost me between 450-977 a month. I cant do that!:( really depressed by it

Are you aware of community creches?
    If you have one near you they are heavily subsidised for people on jsb/jsa.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Cathy and Shane - Hope the scan today goes well and you enjoy it:)

oh my lord! Kidney infections up the wazoo here. So sick of them!! Got off a plane two weekends ago and was rushed to hospital because of mass amounts of pain, while they were trying to figure out the source of hte pain they also discovered that I had a double kidney infection...two different kinds of infection.

Took a course of velosef, and it's not gone. Went back to the doctor to get more anti biotics last night. I'm actually going to go spare! I can't keep peeing this much...im going to lose the plot!

Make sure you're drinking lots of water (not gonna help with the peeing!) cranberry juice is also reccommended if you can afford it. Only ever had a bladder infection but that was bad enough. Hope this course of antibiotics solves the problem.

yeah i need ot start drinking more definately. For some reason, drinking a lot is making me feel ill, so im having to force myself to do it. I'm quite prone to UTIs ordinarily, so its even worse now that I've got one in the oven! Would usually use cranbery juice, but it is quite harsh, and the baby has started to protest.

My GP said he might like to send me off to get an ultrasound done of my urinary tract and kidneys considering this is the second time i have gone to the GP about it, and I've also been to the hospital twice! Here's to antibiotics! :P

Try sipping the water. If pour yourself a pint and work away on it whilst watching TV or reading. When it's gone pour another. I have my Brita filter jug here in the living room along with a pint glass so I don't even have to go to the kitchen! So lazy!

Lazy is good! I have a couple of 1 litre volvic bottles sitting around the house....very handy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hi hacked,

I'm not pregnant so I know I don't belong in this thread, sorry! :)

I just got over an awful kidney infection, I did try to drink loads of water and cranberry juice but I also got cranberry capsules and Solidago Complex tincture from a herbal health store, I don't know if these can be used during pregnancy but it'd be worth going to a good health store and asking for their advice.

Also a heat pack or hot water bottle on your back where your kidneys are was also recommended to me, as hot as you can stand it for 2 hours, gets the kidneys working to flush it out faster.

Hope this helps some bit, and someone can benefit from my suffering! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A straw might help and a series of bottles filled with water in the fridge.

Had a small amount of blood last night and did not think that much of it, had a small accident involving a trolley today and got badly hit in the tummy, then I got another bleed (again small)...rang the hospital and they said not to bother to come in but to stay on bedrest until Friday unless it got worse, then I am to go to the clinic...have had some stomach pain since, not happy.:(

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Had a small amount of blood last night and did not think that much of it, had a small accident involving a trolley today and got badly hit in the tummy, then I got another bleed (again small)...rang the hospital and they said not to bother to come in but to stay on bedrest until Friday unless it got worse, then I am to go to the clinic...have had some stomach pain since, not happy.:(

If you're not happy and feel worried later on then please please go to the hospital. Do not worry about what they say, they're probably just a teeny bit busy tonight... You may be waiting a while, but they have to see you.

If you're not happy and feel worried later on then please please go to the hospital. Do not worry about what they say, they're probably just a teeny bit busy tonight... You may be waiting a while, but they have to see you.
    They told me that the treatment would be the same, bedrest...the baby is still alive for now.

Babies are tough, I had a fall on late pregnancy with Addison (dog ran out front door, I ran after him and fell on my stomach), she was fine. The bleeding could just be a coincidence.

Keeping you and baby in my thoughts tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

this place is full of great information!!! i've been reading for weeks and have decided to join in...! I'm 32+3 due on christmas eve with my third.. this one is my surprise i've 2 girls aged 10 and 7 and they are so looking forward to santy bringing the baby and leaving it under the tree!!! haha they'll be disappointed cos i went 6 days over on the eldest and 12 with the youngest so i'm aiming for january 8th...that's the full 15!! so far so good apart from amazing morning sickness for 4 months in which i lost almost 2 stone (yay best diet i never went on!!) i've a crappy cold now that's heading for my chest..i've a few allergy issues paracetamol is one which means i've to grin and bear the sore throat and headaches.. i go into annaphylactic shock from a spice that hasn't been identified yet.. and i'm newly diagnosed lactose intolerant... so all in all there's nothing straightforward about me... haha only thing that i'm hoping for is a birth like the other 2... first one was an hour and a half after a few hours of very mild pains they decided to speed me up... and the 2nd was 3 hours 40mins from start to finish..hopefully i'll make the hospital this time!!!
    So that's me and i'm looking forward to keeping up with all of you,

Am update: midnight yesterday aka 28 hours ago the bleeding got heavier, I freaked and got to the maternity hospital where they did a test for uti and also did an internal (painful), they also did a scan...it was unexplained bleeding, whatever that is but I was told that the pregnancy was fine, am still very scared but have been told that I do not need to be seen for 2 weeks. Did anyone else go through this...oh, and Shane had a dvt, opps.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Am update: midnight yesterday aka 28 hours ago the bleeding got heavier, I freaked and got to the maternity hospital where they did a test for uti and also did an internal (painful), they also did a scan...it was unexplained bleeding, whatever that is but I was told that the pregnancy was fine, am still very scared but have been told that I do not need to be seen for 2 weeks. Did anyone else go through this...oh, and Shane had a dvt, opps.

Lots of people have unexplained bleeding in pregnancy. I didn't...

But I'm glad you and baby are alright.

• Advertisement

My friend's sister had this at 25 weeks. Told it was unexplained. She gave birth to a 7lb girl last week and they found out that there was a small pooling of blood on the placenta that they couldn't see on the scan that must have leaked, then filled up again. (apparently this is called laking!)

Shane, did you or are you getting your DVT operated on?

Advertisement