Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Shane, did you or are you getting your DVT operated on?

Shots of Dynahep (Heparin) and a broad spectrum antibiotic- and instructions to call an ambulance if I get a sharp stabbing pain in my chest (aka if the clot travels!)..... With any luck at all, it'll dissolve over time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Dose!

You'd think they could laser the sucker or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Hi All.
    First timer here (:D:D:DYeah!!!!!!) and I need your help.
    I'm only 6 weeks+ (apparently means it has a heart beat which is freeking me out as I think I can feel it sometimes + my jeans are tight already:eek:). I have been advised not to tell anyone (husband knows) just in case till 12 weeks. I haven't a clue how I am going to hide it as I like a drink and a social life (Or should I say I did!!) Any way I will manage it some how.
    My big thing is that I am living in Galway and have been told to I need to book an obsterician. I have no idea who I should get (or anyone's names for that matter) I have also been told I need to choose between Public and Private. Now I have health insurance but its a bit vague in what exactly it covers.
    Can anyone out there help me!!

Hi Missus,

First off Congratulations!!

- The heartbeat you can feel is your own, I could check my pulse without going near a vein at that stage.
    - I was straight into the maternity jeans, tummy was so uncomfortable in my normal ones. Meant I had to wear long tops to conceal them!
    - The reason people say not to tell anyone for 12 weeks is that, god forbid, the worst happened you'd have to explain to people what happened. Now I decided to tell a few people as I would have needed their support if anything happened, I included one person at work for health and safety reasons. I made sure that I trusted them to keep it to themselves.

- Private is going to cost approx 3K all told, what you get for this is to see the same consultant every time, less waiting times, and a private room IF there's one available. I didn't think it was worth is so am going public in Galway and find them excellent, 100% free. Don't find the appointment waiting times bad either.
    - If you go public you won't need to book a consultant.

Hope this is of help!

Oh and at the moment you only get your 18-22 week scan as a matter of course so you may want to book a private scan around the 12 week mark. We went with the Galway Clinic and it cost us €135 but was worth every penny when I felt nothing but sick at that stage!

• Advertisement

Kitty.
    Thank you so much. TG I am in my own office coz I'm sitting here with tears running down my face. I feel rediculouse!!!!!!
    Your advice is perfect. I think I will go public too. Thats good advice about the 12 week scan. I'd be so excited about seeing it. It might make it more real for me! not that it doesn't feel all to real at the moment. Constant feeling of about to get sick. Who did you make that appointment with?
    I am off to buy a book this afternoon so I can read all about exactly whats happening to me!
    Thanks Again Kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Hi All.
    First timer here (:D:D:DYeah!!!!!!) and I need your help.
    I'm only 6 weeks+ (apparently means it has a heart beat which is freeking me out as I think I can feel it sometimes + my jeans are tight already:eek:). I have been advised not to tell anyone (husband knows) just in case till 12 weeks. I haven't a clue how I am going to hide it as I like a drink and a social life (Or should I say I did!!) Any way I will manage it some how.
    My big thing is that I am living in Galway and have been told to I need to book an obsterician. I have no idea who I should get (or anyone's names for that matter) I have also been told I need to choose between Public and Private. Now I have health insurance but its a bit vague in what exactly it covers.
    Can anyone out there help me!!

Hey congrats and welcome!!!!!!

You are best going public and there is no costs for obstertician! I had a section (not voluntarily) and it was all covered under public, if I am not mistaken it is an added extra in Private care. You need to decide by your first appointment whether you are public or private. The care you recieve is indentical, but larger price tag on the private. Also believe it or not you are better being in a room with other women when your child is born! And private care does not guarantee you a private room!
    Congrats again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

More blood :(

Kitty.
    Thank you so much. TG I am in my own office coz I'm sitting here with tears running down my face. I feel rediculouse!!!!!!
    Your advice is perfect. I think I will go public too. Thats good advice about the 12 week scan. I'd be so excited about seeing it. It might make it more real for me! not that it doesn't feel all to real at the moment. Constant feeling of about to get sick. Who did you make that appointment with?
    I am off to buy a book this afternoon so I can read all about exactly whats happening to me!
    Thanks Again Kitty

If you haven't been to your GP for your first visit yet go. They'll send a letter to the Maternity Dept in UCHG then you'll get a letter in the post a few weeks later with your first appointment time on it. You also get a list of stuff to bring to the hospital when in labour to marvel at :p

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Hey congrats and welcome!!!!!!

You are best going public and there is no costs for obstertician! I had a section (not voluntarily) and it was all covered under public, if I am not mistaken it is an added extra in Private care. You need to decide by your first appointment whether you are public or private. The care you recieve is indentical, but larger price tag on the private. Also believe it or not you are better being in a room with other women when your child is born! And private care does not guarantee you a private room!
    Congrats again.:D

Thanks so much wolfpawnat. I think I will. I'll email my GP now and tell him thats what I want to do.
    So excited now. Can't wait for my first scan.

• Advertisement

If you haven't been to your GP for your first visit yet go. They'll send a letter to the Maternity Dept in UCHG then you'll get a letter in the post a few weeks later with your first appointment time on it. You also get a list of stuff to bring to the hospital when in labour to marvel at :p

I've been and he got me to sign all this stuff but an emergency came in and let him off to deal with some poor lady.
    Looking forward to seeing this list.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    More blood :(

OK just asked the girl next to me whose sister had a bleed last month.

They kept her in whilst she was bleeding (10 days) but couldn't tell her why it was happening. Sent her home when it stopped advising her to take it easy. She's 8 months now and baby is still well.

Think you should ring the hospital again and see if they can do anything.

OK just asked the girl next to me whose sister had a bleed last month.

They kept her in whilst she was bleeding (10 days) but couldn't tell her why it was happening. Sent her home when it stopped advising her to take it easy. She's 8 months now and baby is still well.

Think you should ring the hospital again and see if they can do anything.
    I rang the high risk pregnancy midwife (I have her on speed-dial at this stage) and rang Shane...also rang the brother but was about to burst into tears and he is not good on that...I have to wait and see, I can go in but it will not help much they say and I do not want to be stuck in hospital even if it is a late mis...this baby is beautiful, healthy and perfect, why is it happening. They do want to see me on Friday in any case.

I am on sick leave with the pregnancy in any case (due to it being very high risk).

Sorry, am stressing and worried about our baby.

OK but if you get any cramping go straight in. It could be something placenta related as it's around this stage it's fully formed. You're really being put through the ringer for this little one!

OK but if you get any cramping go straight in. It could be something placenta related as it's around this stage it's fully formed. You're really being put through the ringer for this little one!
    The thing is that with the first mis there was no pain for 2 days. I had the internal on Monday morning and up there was fine. If the baby is OK it will all be worth it, it is important, not me...I just want our baby to be OK.

Yet more blood, this is mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hugs Cathy, I really hope everything is ok. A work colleague of mine bled profusely at different stages of her pregnancy. Each time led to another hospital visit, scans etc and she ended up leaving work and pretty much on bed rest. There never was an explanation and she had a perfectly healthy full term baby.

littlebug wrote: »
    Hugs Cathy, I really hope everything is ok. A work colleague of mine bled profusely at different stages of her pregnancy. Each time led to another hospital visit, scans etc and she ended up leaving work and pretty much on bed rest. There never was an explanation and she had a perfectly healthy full term baby.
    Have been on as good as bed rest for most of the pregnancy - I get to the supermarket and see my dad but that is it, am at the couch but that has lots of pillows and was asleep all this morning...(all this is on medical advice). Sorry, have been doing everything for this baby, trying to stay calm, low stress etc and this is happening...I cant do any more for this baby...sorry, I just need to rant a bit, am petrified.

Sorry, I also meant to say, thanks for telling me about that woman, I am just very worried and scared, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Stop apologizing, you've nothing to be sorry for. It's perfectly ok to be worried about baby especially with what has gone on in the past. Like Das Kitty said, if you feel cramping at any stage head to the hospital straight away.

In the mean time, keep ranting here.

Stop apologizing, you've nothing to be sorry for. It's perfectly ok to be worried about baby especially with what has gone on in the past. Like Das Kitty said, if you feel cramping at any stage head to the hospital straight away.

In the mean time, keep ranting here.
    Thanks, I just feel guilty, poor Shane too...would be totally lost without him...Shane is very involved in the pregnancy, he is doing everything for me and is wonderful.

More blood again...am drained.

• Advertisement

Shane sounds like an absolute saint! Just keep relaxed and stay on that sofa. Don't move unless you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cdlc

Hiya all,

I'm a bit late joining this board, just stumbled across it! I'm 33 + 4 pregnant; due 18th December, it's our first baba and he's boy!

Just thought I'd say hi....

x

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Hi,
    I am being induced tomorrow! A bit apprehensive, excited as well. On Monday was 1-2 cm dilated, so I do not need to go in tonight for the gel. Between injecting heparin daily, borderline gestational diabetes and the threat of pre eclampsia, I think I deserve a nice labour and delivery. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

best of luck beachbabe and here's hoping that it'll be a one hour labour with no pain.... :) we can all but hope!! i'm hopping my head off the wall with a toothache (am allergic to paracetamol so no painkillers) and have to wait til morning to see the dentist.. then i'm off for the swine flu injection my doc called today and wants me in at 11am...yahoo can't flippin wait..!! will be thinking of how lucky you are to be over it and able to reach the floor again!!! good luck

Hi Cathy.
    I hope everything is ok. I was thinking of you last night. I have everything crossed for you.

Hi Cathy.
    I hope everything is ok. I was thinking of you last night. I have everything crossed for you.
    Thanks, she was still alive at lunch time but still scared about the bleeding. Am taking a nap now.

Hang in there. We're all thinking of you.
    hugs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

Hope you and partner are ok and keeping as calm as u possibly can at such a worrying time. I am 18wks pregnant (second time around). I bled with my first pregnancy at 20wks and 25wks. First time was very heavy, and bright red. I too had a very uncomfortable internal but they found a healthy baby on the scan and sent me home to rest with no explanation as to why I was bleeding. Then at 25wks bled again not has heavy but with bad cramping. This time they kept me in and they thought I was going to miscarry but after a couple of days it all stopped and I was sent home again. Today I have a beautiful 6yr old boy (David) and I still dont know why I bled. This time around I have had spotting off and on since I found out I was pregnant and seem to have stomach and back cramps all the time. I hope hearing other peoples stories makes you feel "not so alone". All us mums and mums-to-be are thinking about you! Keep the feet up and God Bless.
    CathyMoran wrote: »
    Thanks, she was still alive at lunch time but still scared about the bleeding. Am taking a nap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey found out im 5.3 weeks gone yesterday..Keep getting cramps mostly on my left side but sometimes on my right...This is my first and im am very worried..Mentioned it to my doctor who did an internal but said i should be ok and to come back in 3 weeks...Meanwhile im still cramping but worried that im thinking to much about it...Power of the human mind and all that :s

• Advertisement

Swizzles wrote: »
    Hey found out im 5.3 weeks gone yesterday..Keep getting cramps mostly on my left side but sometimes on my right...This is my first and im am very worried..Mentioned it to my doctor who did an internal but said i should be ok and to come back in 3 weeks...Meanwhile im still cramping but worried that im thinking to much about it...Power of the human mind and all that :s

Could be something as simple as your uterus stretching to accommodate baby over the next 8 months. Try not to stress out and just go back in 3 weeks as advised. If you have any bright red blood with the cramps do attend the local maternity hospital though.

Advertisement