Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Here's your wife's sister, I'm wearing fancy flat shoes with my trakkie bottoms because they're the only ones I have without laces. Had to drop my car in to the garage yesterday and walk about a mile to the hospital, God I was destroyed. Had no time for a nap yesterday evening so was like a zombie today at work, was actually afraid of myself driving home I was that sleepy (thank god it's short!). Then I got in the door and there was a card from the inlaws and I called them granny and grandad to my OH and he said "Not Yet" and I started bawling crying like a lunatic. This was at 3pm. Just after waking up after my nap now. LOL.

You poor thing! hope you get some proper rest soon xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I'm sad...anyone sad? :(

I was sad yesterday. Are you ok hon? xx

hacked wrote: »
    I was sad yesterday. Are you ok hon? xx

I'm ok I guess, I'm actually guilty for being so sad...OH is out and I have an exam tomorrow...and sad..so bloody stupid!!!:mad:

It's not stupid. And don't feel guilty, it just makes you more sad. You have nothing to be guilty for. It's just the hormones wreaking havoc. Not only that, but just because your having a baby doesn;t mean you have to be Little Miss Sunshine. It's ok to be sad sometimes. xx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Aw emmba!

Sorry you're blue. Fecking exams, so glad I don't have any anymore.

Don't feel guilty for feeling sad, you're entitled to.

It's not stupid. And don't feel guilty, it just makes you more sad. You have nothing to be guilty for. It's just the hormones wreaking havoc. Not only that, but just because your having a baby doesn;t mean you have to be Little Miss Sunshine. It's ok to be sad sometimes. xx

hey, thanks for listening :)
    the whole pregnancy thing seems a bit isolating sometimes. most of the people I know are busy with their careers. Feel like a bit of a waster by comparison sometimes.
    Friend of mine asked me if I was gonna eat the placenta :eek: and I'm not totally certain she was joking!
    My SIL is pregnant but she is nearly 40 and it's her 3rd..so not a huge amount of connection there..

I'm lucky my OH is very supportive but there's only so much he can do and say..I still feel lonely sometimes it's weird

You should tell your friend that you'll be having a welcoming party for the baby and that the placenta will be served to everyone, tell her she's very special to you and you hope she'll participate!

LOL.

I feel isolated too even though I work full time, I never get invited anywhere and no one thinks of visiting unless I ask them to come. I've started doing this, had a lovely time last Saturday when 3 or 4 of my pals came over and we played boardgames and they drank wine.

I understand what you mean, sometimes it can be quite isolating. It's such an exciting time of your life, but there is also a lot of change. And that can be really confusing and scary sometimes...none of us really know exactly what it's going to be like, or what our babies are going to be like and there's so many questions and what ifs!
    Not only that, but being "the only one" out of everyone you know doesn't help. You are changing with your pregnancy, turning into a fully fledged mommy, and as you change a lot of other things change too. Relationships, situations. It's very confusing!

Just remember your not alone. I know there's not much we can do, but we're always here to listen! And don't listen to anyone who tells you you'll upset the baby....sometimes feeling a little blue and having a good cry can be really therapeutic. *hugs*

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You should tell your friend that you'll be having a welcoming party for the baby and that the placenta will be served to everyone, tell her she's very special to you and you hope she'll participate!

LOL.

I feel isolated too even though I work full time, I never get invited anywhere and no one thinks of visiting unless I ask them to come. I've started doing this, had a lovely time last Saturday when 3 or 4 of my pals came over and we played boardgames and they drank wine.

Thanks for making me laugh! :)

OH says people will visit us more often when baby is born coz they won't want to miss him growing. It's selfish but the thought of it actually pisses me off right now. What, a small baby that nobody knows is more worth the visit than just me and my husband?? I've been alive longer and I actually try to do nice things for people and he gets more visits??? It's mad what goes through your mind...I'm jealous of my unborn son...wow...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You are changing with your pregnancy, turning into a fully fledged mommy, and as you change a lot of other things change too. Relationships, situations. It's very confusing!

the most confusing thing is that I don't feel particularly motherly.. Sometimes I just want to come out and say it to some people - look, it's still just me! Yeah, I'm having a kid, but I don't intend to base my entire life around him...
    Hell, I'm still figuring out who I am and what I want to do...hardly a 'mother knows best' sort of figure..

What would be great is if I had some friends who I knew before and after having kids. Because what bothers me is how much it is all going to change - will i really completely lose myself and not care about anything else??:confused:

Know what you mean! I had this before when I got a puppy when I was 16, I had so many friends calling over! LOL!

We did a thing with my friend when she was 8 months, booked a hotel for 4 of us and took her off for a couple of days. Was her idea and I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise. Best weekend ever, no drink at all the 4 of us sat in the room watching X Factor and chatting and I taught them knitting! It'll be Christmas when I'm 8 months so won't be doing it here but I have told them all that's they're coming to spend a day here on my house over Christmas!

Oh and you will still be you, just you who happens to be someone's Ma. Your baby will add to your life not take anything away,

Yep, thats the same thing really!

I completely get you. I worry about the same things sometimes. And you know, people really piss me off too. I have got so angry at people and their attitudes lately.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to tell the people close to you about it? If that's how your feeling there's nothing wrong with reminding people about who you are and that that;s not going to change just cause there's a baby on the way!

Personally I've found people don't realise they are acting a certain way, and it just takes a bit of reminding.

Wow, that sounds like a such a lovely thing to do for a friend!

I went through some very tough confusing time last Christmas and did some stupid things I can't fix so Christmas feels kind of tainted now and I don't know if it'll go away...I hope it will anyway...:(

Yep, thats the same thing really!

I completely get you. I worry about the same things sometimes. And you know, people really piss me off too. I have got so angry at people and their attitudes lately.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to tell the people close to you about it? If that's how your feeling there's nothing wrong with reminding people about who you are and that that;s not going to change just cause there's a baby on the way!

Personally I've found people don't realise they are acting a certain way, and it just takes a bit of reminding.

It is kind of hard to tell people things like this, because they mean well and are nice...(my side of the family is not like that, I actually haven't spoken to them in over a year)..But damn, they say some well-meaning things that end up making me feel bad...

God that well meaning clichèd drivel can send you round the bend, can;t it?

I think Das Kitty has some good ideas. I also think you should pamper yourself this evening...go run yourself a bubble bath and light a few candles before bed.

Sorry I'm so useless!

God that well meaning clichèd drivel can send you round the bend, can;t it?

I think Das Kitty has some good ideas. I also think you should pamper yourself this evening...go run yourself a bubble bath and light a few candles before bed.

Sorry I'm so useless!

No you're not :)
    I think I'll give up on trying to study anyway it's obviously not working for me tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

ebmma wrote: »
    the most confusing thing is that I don't feel particularly motherly.. Sometimes I just want to come out and say it to some people - look, it's still just me! Yeah, I'm having a kid, but I don't intend to base my entire life around him...
    Hell, I'm still figuring out who I am and what I want to do...hardly a 'mother knows best' sort of figure..

What would be great is if I had some friends who I knew before and after having kids. Because what bothers me is how much it is all going to change - will i really completely lose myself and not care about anything else??:confused:

QUOTE=ebmma;63458580]the most confusing thing is that I don't feel particularly motherly.. Sometimes I just want to come out and say it to some people - look, it's still just me! Yeah, I'm having a kid, but I don't intend to base my entire life around him...
    What would be great is if I had some friends who I knew before and after having kids. Because what bothers me is how much it is all going to change - will i really completely lose myself and not care about anything else??:confused:[/QUOTE]

No you wont lol

You'll be totally obsessed with your new baby for the first few weeks, kinda like getting a new outfit and wanting to wear it all the time ( okay maybe not the best way to describe it but you know what I mean )

You'll get into the swing of it though and soon start to look outside your own little bubble.

My little chap is three weeks tomorrow and I'm taking my daughter to a concert tomorrow night. Last week I was thinking "how can I leave him!!!"..now a week later I'm dying to get out of the house :D

Its normal...my daughter is nearly 13 and the novelty of leaving her wore off a LONG time ago ( I still love her to bits though obviously ) But my point is that you are still you, just you with a child.

I come across posts on boards like 'my child is my life', 'the most important thing that ever happened to me', 'my proper life only started when I became a mother' sort of posts and it just sends me into depression... Wonder if I'll be saying those things myself in March.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I come across posts on boards like 'my child is my life', 'the most important thing that ever happened to me', 'my proper life only started when I became a mother' sort of posts and it just sends me into depression... Wonder if I'll be saying those things myself in March.:rolleyes:

I cannot stand women who say that last one...like what were you doing before your child was born? Just waiting for your life to start?? Give me a break !!!

I love my kids to bits and wouldn't be without them and they are definately the best things I ever did but I'm me first and their mother second. I take the job as mom very seriously and I would never ever give up my friends or my alone time with himself or anything else just for the kids. They are very well looked after so I dont feel guilty about having "me" time...you need it or you'd go mental and you'd be a pretty useless mother then

Don't worry, it seems sometimes that kids take over your life but you find your feet eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Jesus... people like that get on my nerves! Having kids is the best thing in the world but it shouldn't be the only thing in your world. Come 7 o'clock in the evening I get to be alone with my OH and just be me. I love getting out with friends whether it be on my own or with my baby. Don't let it take over your life. Bring baby along with you (obv not to the pub or anything, but girlie coffees/shopping trips etc.

I'm a mammy to a one year old :D Still can't believe it sometimes... (Happy Birthday :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

How long to go now? I'm so bad with remembering the numbers.

just over 4 weeks. She's convinced she's gonna go early though. We'll see! We were 2 weeks over on the last one.

Not long know! hoping the next few weeks will go quickly for her. Keep us posted. :)

I'm in so much pain today. I roared at my little sister this morning...just the contstant pain wearing me down. I'm not far enough along to be in this much pain am I?! Starting to wonder if I'll be up for this whole pregnancy and birth malarky!

Not long know! hoping the next few weeks will go quickly for her. Keep us posted. :)

Will do :)
    I'm in so much pain today. I roared at my little sister this morning...just the contstant pain wearing me down. I'm not far enough along to be in this much pain am I?! Starting to wonder if I'll be up for this whole pregnancy and birth malarky!

How far gone are you? Could be braxton hicks. My mrs is crippled with them for the last 10 weeks (or possibly longer, I can't remember exactly but it's been a good while).

Khannie wrote: »

How far gone are you? Could be braxton hicks. My mrs is crippled with them for the last 10 weeks (or possibly longer, I can't remember exactly but it's been a good while).

I've had a few braxton hicks, and thye werent too too bad.

No I was diagnosed with that pelvic girdle disorder...SPD? whatever it is called. I'm 28 weeks now and in so much pain. My back has got so much worse and the baby is at my ribs, so I don't ever get a break. My back and pelvis has actually got so bad I need to use a crutch when walking for long than a few minutes as my knees have started going. It's almost like i'm arthritic! Starting to get worried as it'[s getting worse by the day. :s

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

As adrienne said that won't happen! For the whole 9 months I was pregnant I could never ever face the thought of being a mother. It completely freaked me out. I still wanted to be the young, sporty, lively, party girl :D And guess what? It can all still stay the same after the baby comes alone. The first few weeks are hard just because you're knackered but you can still get out and about and have your own life.
    The one thing I would say is to make an effort at the start to leave the LO with your OH so he gets used to it. I did that with my boyfriend and it makes the world of difference because I have no bother leaving the little fella with him now and heading off for a while.
    Trust me, you'll be fine. And the motherly thing kicks in after the baby arrives.

It's almost like i'm arthritic! Starting to get worried as it'[s getting worse by the day. :s

Yikes!

Khannie wrote: »
    Yikes!

Could be worse! I've managed to avoid heartburn and a host of other pregnancy irritations, so all in all I'm not doing too too bad.

How are all the mommies to be out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Could be worse! I've managed to avoid heartburn and a host of other pregnancy irritations, so all in all I'm not doing too too bad.

9 days to go... or 25... i'm prone to going over, 6 days with my first and 12 with my second.! I'm fully engaged and ready for off, my husband is freaking cos i've no bag packed.. i actually do have all the stuff i need for the hos just not physically in the bag.. i keep telling him that i'll have lots of time in labour to waste around the house. this just freaks him out more cos i was so quick on the last one he nearly missed her being born:D:D i'm so bold but i have to have my fun somewhere
    as for the pregnancy irritations.. well my right hip is fcuked (old injury) but the ostoepath has me on the straight and narrow so the pelvis is aligned and ready for the birth!! sounds like a take off!! which for those of you with sore hips and knees might be worth a visit to one
    i have constant indigestion day and night sit stand or lie.. i've been waiting for the baby to drop cos it seems like it's under my chin.. i was informed on monday it has... and it's still under my chin.. now i'm looking at the babygro's i bought and i'm thinking i should buy bigger ones just in case:eek::eek::D god help me this could be epic!!!!:Dand i'm 4kg lighter now than i was on my booking appt.. this is my best diet never!! lol
    how's everyone else doing??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't speak too soon hun! I remember being crippled with heartburn in the last four weeks with Addison. Rang my mam crying at 11.30pm one night because I'd no Gaviscon and didn't know any "alternative" remedies for it.

I walked around the shop yesterday and had the most unbelievable cramp in my lower left abdomen. Could hardly walk with it... only seems to be when I'm walking and starts after a few minutes. Baby is moving around like mad the last two days, OH got a kick in the head last night :D Was sooo funny :D

Advertisement