Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Has anyone seen the Advent microwave steriliser on sale anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

hacked wrote: »

Is it this one hacked? In stock in Smyths Jervis St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I'm just over 5 weeks now and the hormones are kicking in BIG STYLE! Poor OH has been on the receiving end of some serious tanturms over the past few days. He says I was the exact same this time last pregnancy and that it eased in the following weeks as the pregnancy sickness kicked in and I was just too ill to moan :eek: Really, really dreading the thought of being sick again.

Interested to hear about the double buggies as we will have to get one also.

Is it this one hacked? In stock in Smyths Jervis St.

That is the one...thanks a million!

Congrats Vel! Hope the sickness isn't as bad this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Some good baby bargins to be had out there atm..
    Too soon for me but useful for some of you :)
    Was asking one of the girls in Mothercare when the sale was over..She told me it wouldnt be that they are becoming a Outlet store ...Dont know if this applies to just Cork though :rolleyes:

Sam mcCauleys have some good offers...Johnsons baby wipes...E1.39 a pack:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I did my 'big shop' for the baby stuff I need and I was amazed at the differences in prices for the same thing.
    ie, I got the Philips Avent electric steriliser for €49.99, it was €69.99 in a chemist a few doors away and €39.99 in Byrnes!
    I just couldn't get over the difference of €20 between 2 shops for the same thing :eek:

One thing that drove me mad was a few of the chemists I went to to look at stuff had the likes of sterilisers/breast pumps etc on high shelves. I had my sister with me giving me a hand other than that there's no way I could've reached any of the stuff with my ever increasing bump in the way!

@smcarrick - I think Dexter is a great name, unusual without being too out there :)

@ Hacked & CathyMoran - I'm sorry to hear you're both are having a tough time in your pregnancies, hopefully bab's will arrive soon for you both and the crappy bits of pregnancy will be a distant memory :)

@cbyrd - fingers crossed bab's will arrive soon, God bless your patience if I'm even a day overdue I'll crack up, I have so little patience!

I'm due in 8 weeks, it feels like ages in some ways but I just know it's going to fly by.
    A part of me wishes it was time already so I can meet this tiny terror that's been kicking the living daylights out of me every day, though at the same time I'm kind of glad that there's still a few weeks to get my head around the idea of the new addition to our family :)

I'm due in 8 weeks, it feels like ages in some ways but I just know it's going to fly by.
    A part of me wishes it was time already so I can meet this tiny terror that's been kicking the living daylights out of me every day, though at the same time I'm kind of glad that there's still a few weeks to get my head around the idea of the new addition to our family :)

I think we're due the same time! :D

I can't wait to see all your gorgeous little additions! All of you who post pics after the birth really make my day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I think we're due the same time! :D

Aw cool, I'm due Feb 21st though hubby and I are both convinced that it'll be sooner than that. I know we could end up really jinxing ourselves and end up a fortnight overdue :)
    Its just that baby is so hyperactive we're convinced she wants out asap!

Yep I'm due around 23rd Feb! My first daughter arrived on time, here's hoping the second one will too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

They are on sale in Sam McCauleys for 9.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Picked up "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" book in Belfast. It's weird that there's very little choice in breastfeeding books in shops and sometimes they aren't there at all :confused:
    Anyway, I read half of it and I really like it so far. It is not just about the 'technique' it goes through all sorts of things that are interesting to know with regards to actually integrating breastfeeding in your daily life, lookin after the rest of the family, becoming mother (there's a dad section too), working, etc. I thought it was great that it actually talks about people's feelings...

Did you girls come across any nice books?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ebmma wrote: »
    Picked up "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" book in Belfast. It's weird that there's very little choice in breastfeeding books in shops and sometimes they aren't there at all :confused:
    Anyway, I read half of it and I really like it so far. It is not just about the 'technique' it goes through all sorts of things that are interesting to know with regards to actually integrating breastfeeding in your daily life, lookin after the rest of the family, becoming mother (there's a dad section too), working, etc. I thought it was great that it actually talks about people's feelings...

We're trying to put together a list to get either online (most probable) or else in the UK. Perhaps it might be an idea to start a seperate thread? I'd also suggest a thread rating the various different Pregnancy and Parenting magazines- there are almost 30 on the Irish market- of extremely varying quality or use. Sometimes the only reason to get a particular issue is for the vouchers in it- which is pathetic, but thats life for us all, I guess.

Nearly after going into labour with the fright I just got. Kids (of the older variety) throwing fecking ice balls at the windows in the estate... Heart is still racing :(

smccarrick wrote: »
    We're trying to put together a list to get either online (most probable) or else in the UK. Perhaps it might be an idea to start a seperate thread? I'd also suggest a thread rating the various different Pregnancy and Parenting magazines- there are almost 30 on the Irish market- of extremely varying quality or use. Sometimes the only reason to get a particular issue is for the vouchers in it- which is pathetic, but thats life for us all, I guess.

I like the book thread idea. Not into magazines really, can't justify the cost and my dole has been cut to 9.90 a week :D:rolleyes:

Another book I liked was Birthing from within by Pam England. It was recommended by the midwives clinic and the yoga instructor in the Holles St.
    It's all about how you change as a person in pregnancy and motherhood and pain coping techniques for labour, art therapy that sort of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

We went into week 24 earlier in the week, he was kicking his mummy so much earlier today that I had to sit down when we were out shopping, in the past few weeks I actually look pregnant which Shane and I love. Still getting my head around the fact that we are having a boy, I love him totally, everyone seemed to know that he was a boy before me, including my dad...still only have one name for him and the hubby hates it, we will see if Shane gets away with Dexter as another name.

Nearly after going into labour with the fright I just got. Kids (of the older variety) throwing fecking ice balls at the windows in the estate... Heart is still racing :(

i hate any type of snowballs...loathe them...:mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

ebmma wrote: »

I have one called Bestfeeding - A guide to breastfeeding.

It's pretty good.

I was also given an American book called So that's what they're for! Apart from the ridiculous title it's also quite a good book. It has a few chapters on the history of formula milk and why is was first created that had me :eek:. LOL

Just finished Ina May's Guide to Childbirth now too, it's helped me relax about the whole birth part (which is good seeing as I have 5 weeks tops to go).

Love my Pregnancy Bible too, it's nearly a text book it's so detailed.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    We went into week 24 earlier in the week, he was kicking his mummy so much earlier today that I had to sit down when we were out shopping, in the past few weeks I actually look pregnant which Shane and I love. Still getting my head around the fact that we are having a boy, I love him totally, everyone seemed to know that he was a boy before me, including my dad...still only have one name for him and the hubby hates it, we will see if Shane gets away with Dexter as another name.

It's gonna get weirder as time goes by. When my little boy got to the stage when he was small enough to do more moving but large enough that he's quite strong..Kicking's fine...it's squirming and turning that I didn't really like as much, coz it feels like your insides are getting flipped!

I'm really curios about the name, Cathy :)

More contractions...lets hope they stay mild. My stomach feels like it's a prune!!

My bad mood of being cooped up in the house has vanished. My sister and her boyfriend got back from Donegal today, and then she decided to go home with him to Carlow for a few days too. He's lovely though, and his car is better on the ice, so he took me out to Tescos to get Ben And Jerry's cookie dough! Bless him.
    Now off to the freezer...

• Advertisement

I'm very curious about the name also!

This little one does some very weird movements. It's lovely just sitting here watching my belly flopping all over the place lol!

More contractions...lets hope they stay mild. My stomach feels like it's a prune!!

My bad mood of being cooped up in the house has vanished. My sister and her boyfriend got back from Donegal today, and then she decided to go home with him to Carlow for a few days too. He's lovely though, and his car is better on the ice, so he took me out to Tescos to get Ben And Jerry's cookie dough! Bless him.
    Now off to the freezer...

Damn you... my Lidl alternative is just not doing the same job as Cookie Dough does!

Damn you... my Lidl alternative is just not doing the same job as Cookie Dough does!

Woman, it's so cold out I'm sure I could post you half of mine along with that hot water bottle :P Hope you can get some soon!

Seriously girls...I discovered the most amazing food available to a pregnant woman. A baked potato with sour cream and salsa. I've eaten three today!

I would give you all my thanks in the world if I could. I love baked potato's!! Gonna try that tomorrow... if I can get to Tesco!

Adrieanne...good call. Got to be loaded with the sauces though. Yummm. I was more attracted to that potato earlier than I ever was to the baby's father, even with my rose tinted goggles on!!

I've had them with salsa before but never with sour cream yum yum yum!

Cathy glad to hear you both are doing ok :)

God you lot must be getting it bad up the country ..Worst we got in Cork was a bad bit of ice..

Girls is it normal to get cramps in week 13??Ive gotten some today which kinda feel like stretching but some feel like stabbing pain..Used to get bad cramps but this all stopped around week 7 ... Also felling kinda weird/Numb down there :rolleyes: anyone else experience this??

Swizzles wrote: »
    Cathy glad to hear you both are doing ok :)

God you lot must be getting it bad up the country ..Worst we got in Cork was a bad bit of ice..

Girls is it normal to get cramps in week 13??Ive gotten some today which kinda feel like stretching but some feel like stabbing pain..Used to get bad cramps but this all stopped around week 7 ... Also felling kinda weird/Numb down there :rolleyes: anyone else experience this??

I got a load of those pains early on, and it was just stretching. If they continue I'd call your doctor just to make sure though. You don't want to take any risks. Is it just crampy or is there any bleeding as well?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ya, you can get crampy around the times your periods would have been due.

I got stretchy pains all up to about 20 weeks.

• Advertisement

Nah no bleeding just cramping but seems to be way less painful than in the first few weeks..Just thought it was meant to die down soon is all.
    Its strange coz everyone says youll know whats normal and youll know if its not normal...Just makes me wana scream none of this feels normal to me coz ive never been pregnant before :rolleyes:

Advertisement