Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got a sweep and internal at 40 + 1 at 10am and it worked. Started contracting at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks Adrieanne & Das Kitty, feck it think I may as well ask them for a sweep while I'm there Monday, worst they can do is say no! :)

Is it the midwife or the Doctor/Consultant that does the sweep/internal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well I'm not seeing the midwives so the consultant just did it... but I'm sure a midwife can do it?

Doc told me there was no point in a sweep for me as I wasn't favourable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Jeez girls ye are getting really close now. Excitement galore :D

Cathy, my Jack was bang on 6lbs when he was born, came at 37 weeks, and he is a buster!! He eats everything and anything and everyone thinks he's about 1.

Doc told me there was no point in a sweep for me as I wasn't favourable :(

Hopefully when you go back next week it might be a bit more favourable or did they say it was unlikely? Fingers crossed babs will come naturally :)

I normally see midwife first then into Doctor, think I may as well ask them both, chance my arm!

gowayouttadat - I know, officially my little one is due in 3:30 hours, though she's so high up at the moment I think she's quite happy where she is for the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Bah...can GPs do internals and give sweeps? I'm due to see the GP on monday/tuesday with the combined care.

Stupid doc told me i was only 36+ weeks at my last hosp appt. Midwife who did my scan gave me my due dte for 41 weeks though...cause she also told me how many weeks i was, and thats what i've been going by. 38 weeks now and no internal! I want to know if i am effacing and if i can have my sweep...im so tired and sore and ready to break down from whatever sort of hell this fake **** is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

hacked wrote: »
    Bah...can GPs do internals and give sweeps? I'm due to see the GP on monday/tuesday with the combined care.

Stupid doc told me i was only 36+ weeks at my last hosp appt. Midwife who did my scan gave me my due dte for 41 weeks though...cause she also told me how many weeks i was, and thats what i've been going by. 38 weeks now and no internal! I want to know if i am effacing and if i can have my sweep...im so tired and sore and ready to break down from whatever sort of hell this fake **** is!

I don't think they'll be willing to do anything like that if you are 38 weeks. Unless they have a reason to think baby isn't happy in there.
    afaik, sweeps only seem to happen when people go overdue.

39 weeks now, getting tired of the whole pregnancy thing...my sister in law was due 2 weeks after me and she went ahead and had a baby girl last friday (the cheek of her! :D)...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Well , I haven't posted in this thread, more in the general parenting looking for advice on prams and the like (being the daddy :))............but happy to report our 2nd little boy, a brother to our 2yo, was born last Sunday, Valentines Day !! A whopping 11b 6oz - natural birth, all well, mammy and son out walking today, and he's off to toddler group to meet his new friends tomorrow !!

ghosttown wrote: »
    A whopping 11b 6oz - natural birth,

Omigod fair play to your missus that is a fine size baby! Congratulations to ye both :)

Hacked it might be no harm to ask doc/midwife to do internal to let you know if you're effacing/dilating, worse they can do is say no :)
    I asked today and they did one, half wishing I didn't now I've been in loadsa pain all day after it and still no sign of baby hauling ass out of there!
    They weren't able to do a sweep as I'm not dilated yet but she did try loosen the cervix a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Congratulations to you and your partner ghosttown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 houseman

They weren't able to do a sweep as I'm not dilated yet but she did try loosen the cervix a bit

ok i should know this, but what's a sweep?

houseman wrote: »
    ok i should know this, but what's a sweep?

"A membrane sweep in which the membranes that surround your baby are separated from your cervix. A midwife or doctor can carry out this procedure during an internal examination. It’s been shown to be effective in stimulating labour and is now offered routinely to women who are overdue before any other methods of induction. It can be uncomfortable if the neck of your womb is difficult to reach."

Or is short where the midwife/doc puts their hand up there and tried to coax the little bugger out :) hasn't worked as yet for me but here's hoping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

'lo! Going to hospital soon, been having regular strong contractions since early this morning... lost my mucous plug last night! This TENS machine is the business! Wish me luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

'lo! Going to hospital soon, been having regular strong contractions since early this morning... lost my mucous plug last night! This TENS machine is the business! Wish me luck!!
    Ohh, exciting...hugs and best wishes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thinking of you- the best of good luck!
    Best wishes from the three of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Best wishes Adrienne, thinking of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Hope all goes well for you, Adrienne :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Good luck Adrienne!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

good luck adrieanne.. hopefully everything goes well and you're done in an hour !!!:D;) i'll be thinking of you.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

ahh good luck adrieanne!! so excited for you :) Was praying this baby would decide to come out the all natural way!

• Advertisement

Best of luck Adrieanne I'm so so jealous!!! Here's hoping for a quick labour and a gorgeous healthy baby in the next few hours :D
    I'm absolutely delighted for you and especially that you might not need that section now - fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Oh good luck Adrieanne
    Hope you dont need that section :)

Hope you both are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hey everyone, I was texting Adrieanne, she and baby are fine, she wasn't actually in labour when she was admitted, but they are keeping her in, they are convinced baby will be on it's way soon, I was telling her how everyone is wishing them the best :)

That's fantastic wolfpawnat hopefully baby will be with her soon :)

So who's next on the due date list?
    I think so far its me (over :rolleyes:)
    Ebmma
    Hacked

any more takers? :)

Fingers crossed all goes well :)

Cap put me allll the way down on July 14th and heres hoping i wont go 8 days over and have the baby on my birthday:D:D

I'm 32 weeks now so he may be coming in a month...at most will be 6 weeks...we are on watch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 garniey_luvs

anyone in portlaoise?
    im only very early on in my pregnancy 7 weeks but wondered if anyone is around the same time.only just moved to portlaoise n would lyk to meet sum other mums.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I'm 32 weeks now so he may be coming in a month...at most will be 6 weeks...we are on watch though.

Hope all is well with all 3 of ye :)

Swizzles wrote: »
    Hope all is well with all 3 of ye :)
    Thanks, he has always been a high risk pregnancy as my medical history is odd but he is on the home straights now. Our sons clock actually started around your due date!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I'm 35 wks complete, due 29th March, but adding the 10 days extra as standard, so prob around 8 April!:D

Advertisement