Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Swizzles wrote: »
    Now i know every baby is different and it all depends on the mothers weight/babies position etc etc but around when have others felt your babies move..
    Im 23 weeks on Wednesday and have yet to feel a kick strong enough to come through...(I have got a good thick enough bump so maybe thats why :rolleyes: lol )
    But the books are freaking me out :eek: Fetal counting or something ..:eek:
    I can only feel the kicks sometimes myself and the doc doing the scan said that it was a very active baby but others have told they should be feeling it by now ...?

You don't do kick counts till much later if I remember, and even then it's if you feel them within not from the outside. I found that my hand would have to be resting in the right place at that stage to feel the kick, don't worry in a few weeks you'll be feeling them all the time and in another few weeks you'll see it and near the end baby will be battering you and your tummy will look like something off Alien and you can gross out your friends who have no kids with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

swizzles -- don't stress about it. A lot of books say you might not even feel the fist kick till 22 weeks, you're doing fine! As long as you feel the movements on the inside that is the important thing. And Das Kitty is right...the kick counting only comes in in the 9th month when the baby is completely filling the uterus.

Fi -- thanks! Swelling has gone down...still swollen, but a normal amount now. Haven't had any more bad contractions since then. Having a lot of strong braxton hicks, but they aren't very painful. Baby must be getting lower...lots of lower back pain/pressure, and my psyatic (sp??) nerve is sore!
    I've received 3 due dates! But as far as i can tell i was either due yesterday or today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Light spotting today, have been worried sick but baby kicking away like mad...the midwife who knows me said not to panic as she knows my history, there was a bit more bleeding but it stopped...still panicking though, ended up balling my eyes out, I know that I can go into baby a and e but the queue would be hours and I get very distressed in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sorry to jump in on preg thread (can't help myself :o). I just wanted to check if there's any update on Cathymoran?
    Are you all okay? Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

littlebug wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in on preg thread (can't help myself :o). I just wanted to check if there's any update on Cathymoran?

Cathy is ok- very stressed out, but baby is ok.
    We didn't go to the A&E in Holles Street afterall- they told us the queue could be 6-8 hours long (eek!) and as baby appeared to be behaving himself, and the bleeding had ceased, that we would not be seen to be a priority. They suggested going to our GP today if we were still worried. We've an appointment in the Fetal Assessment Unit on Friday morning anyhow- along with an appointment in the day unit for a venefer (iron) drip. Its a relief to get the iron sorted- I was really worried about her.

I'm sure Cathy will pop on herself later this evening- I'm just going to give her a call now to let her know I'll be home shortly (so she can have her afternoon bath- and I'll be home to help her out of the bath).

34 weeks tomorrow.......

Shane

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Sorry, am not on boards as much at the moment and was asleep most of the day...am still petrified after yesterday and worrying about baby, he is kicking a lot though...we love him so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Hi girls..
    Little Robin is 13 days today and I’m still exclusively breastfeeding and it seems to be gradually getting a bit easier (one of my nipples has healed, yay!). He’s gaining weight, so it’s working out.
    I got a very useful little book from community midwives about what to expect on day 1, 2, 3 and up to day 7. There’s also a table of how many and what type nappies a baby supposed to have in the 1st week.
    I found it very useful and reassuring and wondering if anyone would like a copy? The part about the days is only a page or so, I can try type it up when I have some free time?
    Will anyone be interested? I’d really like to help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ebmma wrote: »
    I found it very useful and reassuring and wondering if anyone would like a copy? The part about the days is only a page or so, I can try type it up when I have some free time?
    Will anyone be interested? I’d really like to help.

We'd love a copy if its not too much trouble?
    We've lots to learn!

Thanks!

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

What if you post it into a new thread, maybe the mods might sticky it? It sounds like really useful info to have. My little one is just over the one week mark now but it'd be great info for new mums.

I was worried earlier this week after changing from breast to bottle milk when she went 24 hours without a poo, I didn't realise this was perfectly normal :rolleyes: She's making up for lost time with the dirty nappies now :D

I think each day is such a huge learning experience with a new baby!
    How are you keeping? are you recovering well after the section?

Cathy - sorry you have been so unwell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

hi ebmma, delighted to hear Robin is doing well, and great to hear the Bf is working out well! The leaflet sounds really helpful, it would be great to have if its not too much trouble!

Cathy & Shane you are in my thoughts. Let us know how the appointment goes tmw.

• Advertisement

Cathy and shane -- woohoo!! 34 weeks!!! That's such an incredible milestone. Try not to worry too much, even if your baby was born now, the chances would be so good. 2 more weeks and you'll be 36 weeks...thats pretty much full term, and babies lungs are fully formed!
    I was at a friends house yesterday and she was showing me pictures of her twins who were born prematurely at 30/31 weeks. They were 3 1/2 pounds roughly. They are now 10, in 4th class, moaning about how much they dislike their student teacher as she gives them too much homework....they are doing wonderfully :) Not a bother on them.

Thinking of you guys, and as fi said...let us know how you get on at the appointment. xx

Hi everyone,

I decided instead of typing I'll just take pictures of the booklet. Quality is not great, but they should be readable :)

I don't really know how to put the pictures up here and they are quite large.
    I can email to people who are interested if you wanna pm your emails to me?

Also, something useful I was told in the hospital - day 2 is normally very tough because babies get over the whole birth thing a bit end start realising that things are different and freak out a bit :D
    My little one was pretty much impossible to settle and so were lots of babies in the ward regardless of the type of feeding or what mums were doing.

so don't think that your baby is necessarily starving. I had a midwife check latching pretty much all the time and he was soiling enough nappies, so I knew he was ok.
    He lost some weight in hospital (110 g) and was nearly back to his birthweight at 5-6 days and he is now 250 g over on day 13.
    But I was told it is perfectly normal for a baby to take up to 3 weeks to regain original birthweight.

hope that helps a little

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Hi everyone,

I decided instead of typing I'll just take pictures of the booklet. Quality is not great, but they should be readable :)

I don't really know how to put the pictures up here and they are quite large.
    I can email to people who are interested if you wanna pm your emails to me?

Also, something useful I was told in the hospital - day 2 is normally very tough because babies get over the whole birth thing a bit end start realising that things are different and freak out a bit :D
    My little one was pretty much impossible to settle and so were lots of babies in the ward regardless of the type of feeding or what mums were doing.

so don't think that your baby is necessarily starving. I had a midwife check latching pretty much all the time and he was soiling enough nappies, so I knew he was ok.
    He lost some weight in hospital (110 g) and was nearly back to his birthweight at 5-6 days and he is now 250 g over on day 13.
    But I was told it is perfectly normal for a baby to take up to 3 weeks to regain original birthweight.

hope that helps a little

Oh god the memories! I didn't have a bloody clue what I was doing!
    I wouldn't even change his babygro and vest until my mom came in to do it!

Oh god the memories! I didn't have a bloody clue what I was doing!
    I wouldn't even change his babygro and vest until my mom came in to do it!

I was terrified of changing the vest - thought I'll break poor child's neck. :eek:

I was terrified of changing the vest - thought I'll break poor child's neck. :eek:

Yup same here!!! They're so much sturdier than we give them credit for!
    I found looking after him in the hospital for the first few days nearly as bad as labour. I looked at the midwife as if she had twenty heads when she told me I had to set my alarm to wake every three hours to feed him during the night after just finishing about 36 hours of labour and never having looked after a baby before in my life!

We got out of hospital...baby may be becoming distressed so they are keepig a close eye...back in again monday, they are being very good...we dont know which is tough though.

Hacked, thinknig of you and your daughter, hugs.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    We got out of hospital...baby may be becoming distressed so they are keepig a close eye...back in again monday, they are being very good...we dont know which is tough though.

Hacked, thinknig of you and your daughter, hugs.

Try not to think of the worst. Just think you've made it this far and if he does come early you'll have less time to wait before you hold him and he's yours. My small fella came at 37 weeks and is as healthy as a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Cathy you've done brilliant thus far, and he's in the best hands if he does come early he's almost cooked and if there are signs of early labour, if they needed, to they would give him steroids to strengthen his lungs;)

as for the new baby... my third with a 7 year gap i was back at the start, so being cheeky the day after he was born i asked the midwife if she could show my husband how to bath him. i had a sneaky look on and remembered how to hold him:D i just didn't want to look like a complete dork :D especially when i made him dress the baby too!! hahaha i'm an old hand at it now though, it slowly came back to me!!:rolleyes:

Getting a bit more nervous now, depending on the tests on Monday he could be born then or Tuesday...I hope that he gets to stay a while longer as I hate the thought of him being in an incubator but at least he is over 4lb...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Getting a bit more nervous now, depending on the tests on Monday he could be born then or Tuesday...I hope that he gets to stay a while longer as I hate the thought of him being in an incubator but at least he is over 4lb...

Ah Cathy I hope everything works out for you on Monday. Hopefully he will be able to stay inside mammy for little while longer but they can do great things with premmies now tho. I only heard on the radio last week about a little baby born in Germany at I think 23/24 weeks weighing less then 9oz and nearly a year later he is still alive and doing very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hi girls,

Cathy i've been following this thread but haven't posted that much your such a tropper and already an amazing mother in how you are looking after your lil man with you as a mammy he is sure to be a lil fighter. Babies are so much tougher than us my lil girl went thru chemo at 4 months and believe you me they are so strong and your lil guy will be the same i'll be thinking of you on monday.

His readings were a lot better today so we are back home until Friday which is great, they are keeping a very close eye on us but the iron infusions that I am getting are really helping (though they take a long time)...have been told that he will be a C as he is breech....his mummy's birthday next Monday is still not ruled out but am happy for him to stay in as long as possible...I love his kicks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

ah Cathy that is great news, every day inside you will help. Its good that they keeping a close eye on you.

I love my babies kicks too but not when they kicking my ribs but I reckon thats the one bit about being pregnant that I will miss.

OK, so in hospital tomorrow for check up. Holles Street told me last week I'll only be let go 14 days over.

I am NOT happy with this as from all other sources it's 10 days. Especially as i think they got my dates off anyway.

What has everyone else been told...is it 10 or 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I was told 12 days at the Rotunda oddly enough, half way between your two!?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was given term + 12 as my induction date if I didn't go on my own. I know someone who was left till +18.

Cathy and Shane: just to think that you're little son will be here soon after everything that you went through to have him makes me smile.

By the way there was a girl in my ward who had her babby at 35 weeks and he wasn't in an incubator, he was there in the ward with the rest of us, he wasn't even 5lb and she took him home after 4 nights.

James is here farting on my lap and laughing at me, that will be you soon! LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Cathy, Delighted to hear you're hanging on in there still, and baby is happier again.

Hacked sorry to hear you're still hanging on... Don't psych yourself up about the induction, sure they'll do what they have to, and unfortunately we're rarely in control of the sequence of events with these things.

I was told they only ever let you go 10 days over before being induced, but considering what some of the others have said it can't be the end of the world if it ends up being a bit more. You should stress the fact that there is a possibility of confusion on dates to them, if you're concerned, they should know.

Thinking of you guys!!

Does anyone have any experience with back labour? I don't know what I'm doing!

I woke up this morning with really bad acheing back, and just ignored it. Been getting contractions all day, but they have felt more like braxton hicks because there is no pain. It just registered with me sitting here that while my stomach has been painfree, my back pain has been getting more intense all day. It's not excruciating yet, but its quite intense compared to this morning. Am wondering if this is a slow back labour, but afraid to call the hospital.

Contractions are really frequent, and back pain has been fairly consistant the last hour.

I am as clueless as you but there is no harm in ringing them...best wishes and hugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

hacked wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with back labour? I don't know what I'm doing!

Hacked I had back labour with my first. It came in waves with the contractions though rather than continuous pain. Though I could feel my womb contracting all the pain was focussed on my lower back. Not pleasant. It also meant that for a lot of my labour I was being told I wasn't in labour :rolleyes: Don't be afraid to call/ go in if it gets worse. Good luck!

Advertisement