Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Is it practical for you to go to the coombe? They give you a scan at 12 wks and another around 20. It seems to be standard policy whether you're public, semi private or private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MzFit

Oh that's interesting. I didn't realise there was such a difference. I could go there but it would be the other side of the city from where I'm living now. Still, it's an option, there's nothing to say that the delivery has to take place there.

Thanks for that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

MzFit wrote: »
    Oh that's interesting. I didn't realise there was such a difference. I could go there but it would be the other side of the city from where I'm living now. Still, it's an option, there's nothing to say that the delivery has to take place there.

Thanks for that info.

There is nothing to say delivery has to take place there, but if you go into labour the hospital that has your file will obviously be the place you should be. If you are public then they usually keep your file for you.

If you go into hospital in early labour and present to the other hospital they will most likely transfer you to your registered hospital. I went to the Coombe on my second and lived in Dublin 11, it didn't take long to get there and it was a great hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

ok so i thought i knew my cylce really well 31 day cycle and i get ovulation cramp..i really dunno much about ovulation tests.....so here it goes i did a test today cuz i know today is my ovulation cramp day but the test showed up negative now is this normal because when i read the pack it said the surge happens a day or two before my most fertile period. or am i getting it completly wrong. any imput would help. i thought i knew myy cycle so well ......maybe the cramp isnt ovulation cramp at all but i so get my period 14/15days after. kinda regret using ovulation kit now,,n i prob did it wrong anyways. thanks in advance for any input!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You know it does say 22 cm, but it must be inches, Oh god I don't even know what planet I'm on.....scrap the last 2 posts......I'm going back to bed.

Bed is always a good place to hide!!! I spent most of yest in it!!!
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    eumom website gives avg weight and measurements for baby every week,it might be worth signing up to to get a rough idea.
    My baba was 58cm and 7lb 4 when she was born,@ 20 months she is now tiny but tall:)
    24 weeks pregnant,have reached another pregnancy milestone:)
    Have begun to think of ways to make birth less painful this time,thinking might start yoga to learn to relax,invest in a tens machine and then just hope it is quick and umm painless hahahahahahahahaha

Can't wait to hit 24 weeks. Mind you, Have another scan in 3 week and can't wait for that either!! I think allof the web sites and bokos are freaking me out a bit. I think i'll just put all away until the consultant actually says i have something to worry about!!! :D
    I've been doing pregnancy yoga since 14wks and I love it. I've had back and neck pain on and off and the yoga really helps. I get a bit freaked out when she mentions labour but am gradually coming around to the idea that the baby has to come out at some stage! I'm going to start going to physio too and a friend gave me contact details for an accupuncturist which I might go too as well. The way I see it everything helps!

There's ante natal yoga where i live. Was considering it. That's a good recommendation to go for it!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

just checked it again n theres a slight line when tilted in the light i didnt wait the ten mins it recommended :o but still i thought at this time in my cycle the line would be a dark very clear line

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

nope it isn't always:)
    This time I could barely make out the line but it was definitely there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can't recommend yoga enough, I did it at 14 weeks for 5 weeks, then got a book to keep it up.

In a perfect world, do it at 14 weeks then again at 24 weeks.

I found it much better than physio for sciatica.

I had my anomoly scan this afternoon and thankfully all seems well. We saw the little babs stick its tongue out and it was doing some serious jumping around. So amazing to see the little life that is inside my tummy.

From what we could see it has its dads nose. No-one on my side has a nose like that!

:mad:Made enquires about yoga - not enough to run the class but will do private sessions with me, while charging almost treble the price!!!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That sucks:( Are there no other yoga teachers in your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I didn't find out on on #1 because I thought it would be nice for her daddy to find out 1st and once I had a baby it didn't bother me too much if it was a girl or boy.
    I didn't find out this time because I like the surprise:)
    My younger cousin was definitely a girl until he was born;)

You must be due the same time as me?25th January for me

Just noticed this... Near enough to you, I'm due 6th Feb! It's just getting closer and closer!!

Well we had the scan on Monday and everything was perfect. Active little one!
    We decided not to find out in the end. We were going back and forth on it, so decided if we change our minds we can always pay for a private one, but if we found out and then changed our minds there would be no going back!
    I'm still convinced its a girl though, OH thinks it's a boy... either way one of us is going to be right!!

May79 I did a google search for my area and found a midwife running classes in a community centre for €12/€10 if you pay for 8.

Lots of places(studios and privately run classes) are charging huge fees for classes which I couldn't really justify paying.

Btw the midwife is great and knows her stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Hopefully a quick question!
    I found out that I am expecting twins last night.
    Should I be increasing the amount of folic acid I am taking??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Hopefully a quick question!
    I found out that I am expecting twins last night.
    Should I be increasing the amount of folic acid I am taking??
    Thanks

No, just the recommended over the counter Clonfolic (or whatever brand you buy) will do. If you do want to increase your intake, you can buy food and milk that is fortified with folic acid, such as Supermilk, and just try and maintain a healthy balanced diet. All women should be doing this anyway, regarless of pregnancy!

You can stop taking folic acid at 12 weeks.

Thats great thanks for that!
    Always use supermilk so will keep that up!
    Wouldnt have too bad a diet in general but trying to be extra good the last few weeks!!:)

Oh don't deprive yourself of the bad stuff! Just make sure you have lots of good stuff too :D

Congratulations on the twins btw!! Lots of fun ahead for you!

I have a work related question that perhaps someone could help me with.

I've been told unofficially that my role is going to be changed and I will take on a more junior role as well as what I'm doing at the moment. I haven't been told this officially by my manager yet. However when I am told it will be delivered in a 'its already been decided' kind of way with no expectation of negotiation on their part.

What I'm wondering is can an employer change the t&c's of your employment while you're pregnant considering I've maximum 3.5months left in work.

I obviously don't want this change in my role as it means different t&c's and more importantly it becomes a more junior position when I've worked very hard over the years to get where I am. For instance it would mean when I come back from maternity leave I'd be more restricted in my hours (would be set) so I wouldn't have the flexibility I currently have to say start early and finish early.

Maybe I'm way off the mark and my nose is just a little out of joint but I would've thought they are being very foolish to try doing something like this to a pregnant woman as it would look like they are trying to manage me out of my current role.

I'm being deliberately vague as you never know who's lurking here and I'm a tad paranoid about things like this.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think they're being very foolish whether you are pregnant or not, they cannot change the t&c's of your employment without your consent. Maybe give NERA a ring and see what your rights are??

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Maybe post in the Work & Jobs forum? Usually good advice there.

• Advertisement

May79 I did a google search for my area and found a midwife running classes in a community centre for €12/€10 if you pay for 8.

Lots of places(studios and privately run classes) are charging huge fees for classes which I couldn't really justify paying.

Btw the midwife is great and knows her stuff.

Must try that. Will have to do some homework. This is frst baby and i have no idea how anything is working yet!!!
    Oh don't deprive yourself of the bad stuff! Just make sure you have lots of good stuff too :D
    QUOTE]

I am having trouble staying away from the bad stuff. I'm eating ginger nuts for nausea and anything i can get hold of to keep me awake. I'm trying to eat well but i know i am failing miserably....:(

Has anyone experienced pains in the lower back? I have noticed it as the day wears on, and some times when i move in bed i can feel it. It's not excrutiating but def a dull ache. What causes this? Is it the baby growing? Also, any thought on MBT shoes/runners to improve posture while all of this is happening to the body?

NextSteps wrote: »
    Maybe post in the Work & Jobs forum? Usually good advice there.

Thanks NextSteps good idea

May79 talk to your doctor about the back pain, it could be one of many things causing it.

I've had terrible headaches and my doctor told me they were caused by problems with my back. The midwives etc are great but they just don't have the time to sit and listen to
    these problems, they told me headaches were normal, so speak to your doctor.

About mbt's I think I read somewhere they're not suitable for pregnant
    women as your posture and centre of gravity shifts.

May79 wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced pains in the lower back? I have noticed it as the day wears on, and some times when i move in bed i can feel it. It's not excrutiating but def a dull ache. What causes this? Is it the baby growing? Also, any thought on MBT shoes/runners to improve posture while all of this is happening to the body?

Ive atcually noticed this in the last day or two! Right at the top of my ass but on either side and not really in the middle!(of my back)

May79 wrote: »

MBT's aren't recommended in pregnancy.

The back ache is just caused by everything stretching and being pushed out of place as the baby grows. Also everything relaxes and becomes unsteady which can also cause aches and pains. I used to get a painfull bum-bone! Very sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

afaik MBTs are fine if you have been using them before pg, but to to start with in pg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

tbh wrote: »
    spinning like a top! the doc went to take the measurement when the baby was lying on it's back and just as she was about to press the button, it turned to face us and waved :D baby has their daddies sense of humour, and from the looks of it their mammies nose :)

Hi guys, just a quick update. We went in today for a checkup and got a very quick scan done as well
    To quote the doctor, "lovely baby, lovely heartbeat". The heartbeat was loud, clear and above all, strong. Doc was delighted as were we. Big scan in three weeks and then a more detailed cardiac scan two weeks after that, but so far, so good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

That's brilliant TBH... Our's waved at us in the 10 week scan, have a great still shot of the little tiny paw saluting us :D breaks your heart doesn't it.. in a good way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Nearly 37 weeks now, and worryingly calm :p

Everything is ready, or so we think, even daddy haha! I am feeling quite uncomfortable, so bebe can come out anytime he wants (been thinking its a boy since the start, but we didn't actually find out the sex, can't wait for the surprise!).
    I have been doing yoga since the start, with a dvd and found it great to be able to do it whenever suited me at home and for something like less than 20 euro. Would defo recommend it. And for the past 6 weeks or so have been going to aqua aerobics classes and its the highlight of my week (1h of weightlessness at this stage is a godsend ;)), especially that now, if I go for walks any longer than 20 minutes, I get terrible back and hips ache.
    Craving for chocolate is back with a vengeance though, i'd gone off it for the first few months, damn it!!

Another thing I would recommend is a relaxation/self-hypno cd, I've been listening to one every week and it has really brushed away all my apprehensions in regards to the birth.

Hope all is well for everyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

littlemissfixit, i used and am using the gentle birth cd home study pack from Tracy Donegan and it is so great. I would give her stuff a go, www.changeyourmind.ie

Advertisement