Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

January wrote: »
    Hi Tigeress, just be aware that medical advice cannot be given on this forum and if you are worried about anything please consult your medical team.

Ok will do January.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

Johnnyq79 wrote: »
    Hey,
    the letter is gone to the CUMH to get first appointment. Does anyone know how long it will take to hear back from them to get the appointment, and at what week will herself have the appointment. Is it always week 12/13? or earlier/later? My wife is just starting week 6.
    Thanks, "PUBLIC Patient"

Hi! i rang the rotunda when i was 7 weeks and got my 1st appointment when i was 15 weeks. seems like a long wait but i think it flys in. im 30 weeks now and it doesn't seem like too long ago i found out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

bobobear wrote: »
    I'm with Holles St and the first time they'll see me is at 17 weeks! If I had gone with the satellite clinic they didn't have an appointment til I'm 24 weeks, a month after the scan. If they don't get back to you soon, start ringing. I had to make my own scan appointment, if I left it til my booking appointment I'd never get one!

I just want to add, I had my scan at 15w.... my dates were all in the air, I hadn't had a period in months.

In the end she came early but as the scan was so late no-one knows how early she was. The doctors just kept asking me how far gone I was!

As far as we know I was 37w 5d. Squeeky wheel gets the oil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Baby Ellie was born at 11:11 and weighed 6 lbs 2 oz. C section at 38 weeks. Mammy and baby are perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Baby Ellie was born at 11:11 and weighed 6 lbs 2 oz. C section at 38 weeks. Mammy and baby are perfect

Yay:) Congrats to you:D Ellie is a beautiful name:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Yey congratulations :) I bet little Ellie is just amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

This is week 11 for me and am heading for a scan tomorrow. It is the first I will have and looking forward to seeing it on the screen :)
    My pants are all too tight for me now - have been going to work this week with the buttons and zips open and a long top so no one would see!
    So this evening I bought my first lot of maternity clothes and I have to say as soon as I put them on, it's like a bump just materialised out of nowhere! My other half said ''OK, now you can really see that you are pregnant''. Funny how the clothes do that..Can't wait to wear them to work on Monday and watch the realisation slowly appear on my colleagues faces :D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

This is week 11 for me and am heading for a scan tomorrow. It is the first I will have and looking forward to seeing it on the screen :)
    My pants are all too tight for me now - have been going to work this week with the buttons and zips open and a long top so no one would see!
    So this evening I bought my first lot of maternity clothes and I have to say as soon as I put them on, it's like a bump just materialised out of nowhere! My other half said ''OK, now you can really see that you are pregnant''. Funny how the clothes do that..Can't wait to wear them to work on Monday and watch the realisation slowly appear on my colleagues faces :D

Have fun with that! :-D I have to say I wish I didn't have so much of a muffin top cos I can't wait to see my bump when it appears. It just won't be so definite I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Had my first scan today and hard to believe it. At 11 weeks we could see the whole little person - arms, legs, hands feet - everything. It had its back to us and was sleeping away - it took the nurse a while to wake it up, but when she did - boy was it an active little thing! Surreal to think it is inside me! Even with all the hopping around it did, I never felt a thing - guess that won't last much longer :D

It was a bit too small to do the proper risk check for Downs syndrome, so I get the added bonus of going back to see it again in a week and a half. Already looking forward to it! Good luck to everyone else going for first scans - it's a great experience.
    I don't think I will ever forget today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nicole22

Johnnyq79 wrote: »
    Hey,
    the letter is gone to the CUMH to get first appointment. Does anyone know how long it will take to hear back from them to get the appointment, and at what week will herself have the appointment. Is it always week 12/13? or earlier/later? My wife is just starting week 6.
    Thanks, "PUBLIC Patient"

I saw my doc at 5weeks pregnant, I'm now 12weeks and havent heard anything from St. Lukes in Kilkenny so I rang them to check. Apparently I wont be seen untill I'm 20weeks pregnant due to them being so busy. The secretary said that this is an acceptable time for a first appointment...acceptable to who?! I'm going for a private 2D scan to make sure all is well in a week or so even though we cant really afford it. Lovely budget cuts:mad:
    If its her first baby maybe she'll get in sooner. Its my second and I had no complications with my first so maybe I'm just low priority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Im attending Sligo and have my first appt this Tuesday, I'll be 19+6 at that stage. I haven't had any scan yet and will push for one before the end of the month. So annoying that policy differs so much from hospital to hospital! It's no.3 for me...

On the plus side, feeling loads of movement and bump has suddenly appeared this week :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Naineen

first scan at 20 weeks is apparently normal...(don't get me started...). It's ridiculous that you will not know any earlier if anything is ok. Then again it probably wouldnt be in anyone's interest to find out if anything is wrong anyway, since there's absolutely nothing you can do about it in this country...

I also just heard that you won't get proper 'organ' scans apart from in Dublin. I fully assumed the hospital scan at week 20 did all that. Apparently not, it's just a simple ultrasound.

The more I think about the system here, the more I get upset at the sheer backwardness of this country (a lot of my friends had babies in Germany/the continent, and it's much more organised over there - a lot more checks, a lot more care options, etc). Don't get me wrong, i am sure the staff, nurses, midwives etc are all doing their best, are caring and well-trained, and my rant does not go against them.

It's just the options here (the fact you don't even have gynaecologists for regular checkups, even outside being pregnant) that are lacking compared to other countries...I am baffled when I read that people never had a transvaginal scan for example - that is routine at every 6 month checkup when you attend a German gynaecologist, pretty much from age 14. Same with proper breast exams, and the like. The mind boggles...

sorry for the rant, very disillusioned with the system here right now (but have no choice but to go through with it here, 'feckin' off to my own country is not an option...)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nicole22

I agree completely Naineen. Its a joke. There must be a reason that everything you read says that first scans should be between 10-13weeks. Only for watching American films I wouldnt even know a transvaginal scan existed! I've had quite a few experiences lately, both directly myself and involving loved ones, that have left me with ZERO faith in our health system. As you said I know all the midwives, nurses etc are doing the best with what they have but its the system itself that just isnt good enough. I shudder to think of the people that must die every year in Ireland due to long waiting lists for absolutely everything! Unfortunately my partner and I had to get rid of our health insurance 2 years ago after he lost his job in the reccession and I cant remember how many times since them I've wished we still had it. My partner has been the "priority" waiting list for arthroscopic knee surgery for 6mths, it literally is getting worse by the day, and he has been told he will be waiting another year. He hasnt even seen a consultant yet! He'll be crippled by the time he gets in. I'm ranting now but it just makes me so mad. My 3 year old son is also waiting for a fairly routine day case operation I wont even get started on that!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

16 weeks and still no bump. Feel fine, not sick but very tired n the evenings. Still very stressed. Look very bloated and puffy and have had to go up 2 sizes in clothes but maternity ones dont in the right places yet!! Midwife said bump with hit at about 19/20 weeks. cannot wait.

We still have not told anyone yet other than my best friend as we want to be sure we going the full way this time.

Had a major scare a couple of weeks when I started bleeding and cramping. Went to the hospital and was kept overnight but thankfully it all settled down and all seems fine on the scan. Cant wait for the next month to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Half way there. .. tiny bump. . no sickness energy has returned. . . i'm starting to wonder if i'm pregnant at all :eek: was out gardening all day sunday and tuesday, tired today though from doing nothing. . .
    Doc next week, hoping alls well . .

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

hi ladies did any of ye try fertility monitors? been looking at the ovacue and the clearblue? any recomendations plz and thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Hello all. Just checking in to say hello. I haven't been on in months. Things got really hectic - We had a baby girl Kiera, born 11.4.11 weighing in at 8lb 4ozs by C section....Not what i had in mind but it worked out ok. Shes so perfect, i cannot believe she's ours. Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

talkin wrote: »
    hi ladies did any of ye try fertility monitors? been looking at the ovacue and the clearblue? any recomendations plz and thanks in advance.

Hiya, I bought a bulk pack of ovulation and pregnancy tests on ebay. Much cheaper than the named brands and exactly the same tests as my GP uses.
    Like these ones, although I'm not sure if it's the same seller as I used:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/30-OVULATION-FERTILITY-TEST-TESTS-UK-SELLER-SENT-DAILY-/300377685214?pt=UK_Health_HealthCare_RL&hash=item45efe7bcde

You'll get lots more recommendations and advice on the Trying To Conceive forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

May79 wrote: »
    Hello all. Just checking in to say hello. I haven't been on in months. Things got really hectic - We had a baby girl Kiera, born 11.4.11 weighing in at 8lb 4ozs by C section....Not what i had in mind but it worked out ok. Shes so perfect, i cannot believe she's ours. Best of luck to you all.

Congratulations May, and welcome baby Keira!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

Hi all, 25 weeks, being kicked as i type, first baby, we cant wait.
    Attended 1st ante natal class tonight, felt dressed down in my runners but its all about comfort now!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

deeduck48 wrote: »
    Hi all, 25 weeks, being kicked as i type, first baby, we cant wait.
    Attended 1st ante natal class tonight, felt dressed down in my runners but its all about comfort now!!:D

Oo, you must be due the same time as me, I'm 25 weeks tooo! :D

Hm, might seem a strange question... what was everyone else wearing?! My antenatal classes aren't until July... If I keep going the way I am feeling ridiculously warm (thought that the thermometer in my car was faulty the other morning: it read 8 degrees, I was convinced it was at least 18! :eek: ), the class will be lucky if I'm dressed at all! :P

liliq,
    firstly congrats! about the heat thing, im glad to hear its not just me,normally i have to be pried away from my 15 tog duvet at all times of the year but the last few weeks ive been waking up sweating, i think its the first time my husband has heard me complain about heat :p

everyone else was only 18- 20weeks, and were in leggings and heels, (which the midwife told them not to be wearing the next time!) and they looked lovely but for me fashion has gone astray in favour of comfort.
    baby had the hiccups for the 1st time on tues night, i was awoken by what i thought was a HUUUUGGE kick, but when i woke my husband in fright he saw my belly jumping and said, its hiccups. phew!:D

Hehe... Congrats you too! :D

What are we going to be like in July and August?! :eek: Sounds like we're similar! I'm usually fairly cold blooded as well! I'm starting to realise that I should assume that it is actually cold out, it's just me that's a human radiator!

Wow... 18- 20 weeks sounds early for ante natal classes! I'll be 31 weeks before I'm going to classes! :rolleyes:

Eep... you're dead right going for comfort over fashion!! I've seen a few girls in heels in the mat hospitals... don't know how they do it! I've been living in converse!

How did you know it was hiccups?! Cuteness! :)

hiccups is your whole belly jumps like as if the baby's sneezing, rapidly in succession, but it doesnt feel muscley like a kick does, if that makes any sense!!! when i get kicks it feels like its kicking a muscle but not like that with hiccups!!
    trying not to sound vague, sorry!:o
    btw a body pillow is long and rectangular, so yiu can wrap it around you whatever feels comfiest, but a pregnancy pillow is a hard triangle of foam designed to support bump as bump gets bigger. at the mo, the body pillow is best for me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

week 22... half way there by my standards. . . :rolleyes: i'm feeling lots of little kicks now.. and i have the beginnings of a bump in certain tops..other tops i just look fat :eek: Got some cream for my itchy legs that lasts all day and then all night.. THANK GOD :D
    I was having a chat with my husband the other night and neither of us can believe i'm pregnant again.. it's hilarious but good that it's not just me who's freaked out :) 3 babies didn't seem so far fetched but 4.. . it's taking a long time to get my head around it. . probably won't til s/he's here

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

Hello all , hope you dont mind me jumping in . 30 weeks gone , roasting and shattered . Hope your all keeping well

deeduck48 wrote: »
    btw a body pillow is long and rectangular, so yiu can wrap it around you whatever feels comfiest, but a pregnancy pillow is a hard triangle of foam designed to support bump as bump gets bigger. at the mo, the body pillow is best for me.:)

Got a body pillow in Argos over the weekend... I'm very strongly attached to it already!! :D
    cbyrd wrote: »
    Got some cream for my itchy legs that lasts all day and then all night.. THANK GOD :D

is that the Antistax or a different one? I have the Antistax for my legs being restless but it's not all that effective :rolleyes:
    Hello all , hope you dont mind me jumping in . 30 weeks gone , roasting and shattered . Hope your all keeping well

Hope the weather stays a bit on the cooler side for you! Yay for (hopefully) only 10 weeks to go! I'm not too far behind ya, and I'm in the same boat with being roasting!!!

Baby mama is on itv2 at the moment... hehe... Sister (?): "What you eat, the baby eats. What you listen to the baby listens to...." Some guy in a uniform "If you listen to DMX, Baby comes out going grrrr!"

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

Cant say how amazing body pillows are , if you dont have one seriously invest in one .Great for feeding and for baby to use for tummy time later on too :D

30 weeks? congrats, im only 4 wks behind u but it seems like an eternity!!:D
    cant wait for my next scan in 4 weeks! seems so far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi everyone i'm back. We just got a positive this morning :-) after 2 misses in the past year we are very nervous but i'm going to do my best to treat it like a new seperate pregnancy and live in hope :-)

Advertisement