Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No exams?

Options
  • 10-10-2007 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

whats the deal with the english dept doing away wih exams?
    its only marks for essays and contribution now

is this good/bad/better or weird?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

It's probably a good thing.
    English Literature is all about textual analysis. Sitting an exam without the texts in front of you was always a bit... not quite pointless (there is something to be said for rote learning even if it's deeply unfashionable these days) but perhaps somewhat beside the point.

The actual ins and outs of the new assessment procedures are another matter entirely but hey, teething problems perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

One of my history modules (middle east) has no final exam :) Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

DaveMcG wrote:
    One of my history modules (middle east) has no final exam :) Sweet!

What way is it going to be asessed? I know its document analysis but is it just analyse the King Crane Doc and Jabotinsky or whats the craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Two essays altogether AFAIK... He gave us the titles for the first one, dunno bout the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Count your lucky stars I only had 4 exams out of 10 last year this year I have 9.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Yeah I've down on exams this year. My thesis takes 10 credits. Then a few lecturers have gone for essays or two OCSEs rather than a proper written exam. Cue me being stressed out for longer periods of time.

How I hate transitional modularisation......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

That sounds pretty cool OP, I always thought exams were a crap way to examine a subject like English. They were crap for me anyway, I always did far better in essays and my masters thesis, flat out refused to do an English masters that had exams. (Doing an MBS now and up to my nips in exams, but that's another story.) You've a much better chance of coming up with a decent and/or original argument if you've a couple of weeks to think it over rather than a poxy hour or two. Maths and suchlike are way easier to do exams in I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Essays are a much better way of examining English. I have just finished an MA in English in UCD which had 5 essays, 1 exam and a thesis. But when I was doing my BA we had 4 or 5 exams and it wasn't semesterised, so they were all in April/May - it was terrible, so I'm very jealous of you!!

Advertisement