Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question regarding the FCA (or the reserve,or whatever they're calling it now!)

• 10-10-2007 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was considering applying to join for a brief stint. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was required that you pass a drugs test prior to joining ?

I checked the website, it says you're required to pass a medical and a fitness test, but nothing about a drugs test ?? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Military forum (under the 'Soc' category) would be your best bet to ask....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

DaveMcG wrote:
    The Military forum (under the 'Soc' category) would be your best bet to ask....

You know, I was totally unaware that was there !

Thanks a lot ! :lol:

Sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Basic Medical and eye sight test and urine samples taken.

Oh and its the RDF ( Reserve Defence Force ) FCA no longer applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote:
    Basic Medical and eye sight test and urine samples taken.

Thanks a lot. Shouldn't be any problem for me, come to think of it. Overthinking as usual ! :)

Does anyone know when the recruit -> private training camp in lahinch is being held ? It's meant to be the first week in June, but I've not heard a positive 1-7th type arrangement, and I was hoping there might be a standard or something, as I have some arrangements for, you guessed it, around the first week of June and was hoping they wouldn't clash !

Terry wrote:
    Moved from AH.

Thanks, sorry about that.

You seem anxious about a "drugs" test, i seriously hope you dont dabble in them as drugs and Weapons DO NOT MIX, and the DF or RDF dont need those types of people.

Steyr wrote:
    You seem anxious about a "drugs" test, i seriously hope you dont dabble in them as drugs and Weapons DO NOT MIX, and the DF or RDF dont need those types of people.

You seem to have gotten my very wrong !

I go to a lot of concerts - upwards of 40-50 a year, my business/hobby is taking photos at them.

As many a concert goer will tell you, one can hardly go into the bathroom in some places without being greeted by the smell of stale marijuana. It can be, quite literally, everywhere, and unavoidable. Even at one stage a few years ago I accidentally stepped on a syringe, which lay on the floor. I suffered no ill effects, aside from a concert cut short and a trip to the hospital, but still, it proves my point ! :)

I was scared this would show up on my test, and I wouldn't like having that kind of thing associated with me, should I be that unlucky.

Guns and the RDF definitely don't mix. If I wanted to do drugs, I'd be applying for the cadets ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Steyr wrote:
    You forgot to close the tags,

</high horse>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

DaveMcG wrote:
    You forgot to close the tags,

</high horse>

It's Steyr. He's never off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Jeebus wrote:
    Guns and the RDF definitely don't mix.
    Jeebus wrote:
    If I wanted to do drugs, I'd be applying for the cadets.

Ok ... what? :mad:
    As a fairly active RDF member and someone who got far enough in the Cadet competition, that's just insulting.

Feel free to back up either comment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ignore him, both of those comments were either an attempt at tongue in cheekiness or foot up assedness and the latter will be issued if he isnt careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I took it as tongue in cheek.
    I didn't know Steyr was in the Cav?

testicle wrote: »
    It's Steyr. He's never off it.
    You got dismounted from yours a few days ago didnt you son.......BURN. Good burn too.:D

Hagar wrote: »
    I took it as tongue in cheek.
    I didn't know Steyr was in the Cav?

Support Coy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Steyr wrote: »
    You got dismounted from yours a few days ago didnt you son.......BURN. Good burn too.:D
    someone call the fire brigade......whoop whoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Steyr wrote: »

No I don't think I did. Boo-urns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alteregoZR

Hi was thinking about joining for a while myself, requested some info and never got any. Any idea what the upper age limit is and whether an Irish resident (married to an irish citizen) is able to apply?

Have previous military experience if that counts for anything...

Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

upper age limit i believe for joining anyway is 35 yo

Im not sure but i dont think that previous mil exp wont be taken into account when joining.

If you stick around though, once you get to 3 star level, any ideas you have about doing things based on prev exp will at least be listened to, when out on the ground etc.

Be prepared to work hard at sticking it out, particularly if older when you join (i was 28) and ive been in 3 years, hard work marching around with a bunch of 17 - 21's still in college but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

testicle wrote: »
    No I don't think I did. Boo-urns.

did you boys date at some stage? acrimonious split?? :p

Advertisement