Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another school shooting in the USA

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mordeth wrote: »
    why do you want so many guns? it's not like you're going to be able to go 'round shooting people.
    Just in case the British invade. Duh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think they're more worried about the mexicans now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Going back to "respect the blade", in Amsterdam on Sunday a chap walked into a police station and set about attacking the local constabulary (who are all armed) with a knife.

One cop was stabbed three times, once in the chest, twice in the back, perforating a pulmonary artery and a lung. The next cop was stabbed five times, including an artery in the head and the wind pipe.

Bilal Bajaka was then shot and killed. (Starting a bunch of riots over the next two days from his local community. Sometimes you just can't shoot someone without annoying people...)

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did the officers die?

Nope, apparently he used a small knife. They were listed as 'critical' when the reports came out, but as far as I know are recovering.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's good to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

So basically guy ambushed police with a knife but they were able to draw their guns and kill him while he failed to kill any of them.

This whole thing of guns being so useless if the attacker is within 21ft (6.4m) of you would also mean that in most circumstances in Ireland the police carrying firearms would be pointless since most stores/rooms are smaller than this and it'd only be on a deserted street that they are likely to have this kind of forewarning (assuming the potential attacker makes clear their intentions from such a distance, e.g. by throwing a bottle).

farohar wrote: »
    So basically guy ambushed police with a knife but they were able to draw their guns and kill him while he failed to kill any of them.

There are similar situations with respect to shooting incidents as well (Let's say he used a .22 rimfire instead). I think the operative point is that the guy had sufficient time to stab two cops, who presumably have some CQB training, eight times between them before getting shot. That they happened to survive is somewhat incidental and could just as easily have gone the other way. The location of the attack may also have contributed to their survival rate. You can't get a much faster response than being attacked in a police station, except being attacked at a hospital.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There are similar situations with respect to shooting incidents as well (Let's say he used a .22 rimfire instead). I think the operative point is that the guy had sufficient time to stab two cops, who presumably have some CQB training, eight times between them before getting shot. That they happened to survive is somewhat incidental and could just as easily have gone the other way. The location of the attack may also have contributed to their survival rate. You can't get a much faster response than being attacked in a police station, except being attacked at a hospital.

NTM
    So, like Farohar said, guns are no use to cops in this situation.
    Why arm them at all then?

What if they're in a different situation?

I'm not saying guns are useless. I'm just addressing the fallacy earlier that knives are useless when the other guy has a gun.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

What if they're in a different situation?

I'm not saying guns are useless. I'm just addressing the fallacy earlier that knives are useless when the other guy has a gun.

NTM

well... it really comes down to one simple premise doesn't it? a weapon is only as good as it's user. I've kinda found this debate a bit pointless meself...

Advertisement