Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Colleges

Options
  • 10-10-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey I was just wondering would anyone know if it is possible to change college completley at this stage. You see I'm not really happy with the course Im doing in DIT at the mo and I was wondering if I'd be able to try and get into a course thats in UCD that I qualified for but was lower down on my CAO then the one I'm doing right now...

If anyone can help me out with this in anyway I'd really appreciate it, cheers!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

same boat as u !! im wondering the same thing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 islay

Hi

Not completly sure if you can swap colleges at this stage. I do know that if the college has empty places on another course you can apply to that. You should talk to the retention officer or your course tutor. BUT if you stay past november and start college again next sept you are liable for fees for first year approx 4000 euro.

Don't know if this helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ChairmanCow

Thanks islay! Yeah talking to someone in the college would probably be the best bet. Ill ask around tomorrow and see what I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dublin.07

I'm just finished in UCD and I know 2 of my friends transeferd from DIT. I think maybe one reapplied or else got over a certain mark in his DIT exams and I know the other one got over a certain mark in his DIT exams and got in that way (I think he might have done the diploma in business studies and then got into Commerce in UCD).

If you aren't happy with your course I wouldn't advise leaving it till you know all your options and maybe wait to see do the points in UCD stay the same, or if you can transfer for definite. Maybe contact the UCD admissions office and they might be able to help you. And if you do end up in UCD...you are so lucky I would LOVE to be there still...the best 3 years of my life!

Hope that helps

islay wrote: »
    BUT if you stay past november and start college again next sept you are liable for fees for first year approx 4000 euro.

Don't know if this helpful.

Just to correct this - there are two dates during each year when you have to register in the course you're in. If you drop out after November, you will have to pay half of the cost of the new course, but the second half will be pure 'free fees', and the fees will be paid for you for the rest.

To answer the original query, yes you can apply to other colleges, yes they take people on. To find out how, contact the college you want to talk to, and ask for their admissions office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Key-Connors

if i was to turn up at registrations at 9 in the morning would be able to get free fees or are they pretty strict?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

if i was to turn up at registrations at 9 in the morning would be able to get free fees or are they pretty strict?

im not sure wat your actually asking here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm the other way around, looking to transfer from UCD -> DIT. I'm currently on a year out having finished 2nd year in UCD Civil Engineering. Anyone know who would be the best person to contact in DIT about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I'm the other way around, looking to transfer from UCD -> DIT. I'm currently on a year out having finished 2nd year in UCD Civil Engineering. Anyone know who would be the best person to contact in DIT about this?

find the course you want on the website and you'll find contact links for the appropriate man/woman in charge. contact them. i find contacting admissions is a horrendous affair (in DIT anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi Simona1986,

The best person to talk to is Matthew Lysaght in Admissions. He deals with Advanced Entry and will be able to advise you on how to apply. His phone number is 4023302 (and he's a nice guy to deal with).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

"was wondering if I'd be able to try and get into a course thats in UCD "

DONT COME BACK!!!!

Advertisement