Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland win Special Olympics gold

• 10-10-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Beat the French 7-0 in the final of the 11-a-side football.

Not mentioned anywhere else that I could see, congratulations to the team and their coaches.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good stuff! Congrats to them.

Dont suppose they're free saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

+1, well done to all involved. A great achievement.

Thanks for the heads up therecklessone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Excellent stuff.

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm chuffed to bits about this:)

Can you imagine the pride they must be feeling - World Champions at football, it doesn't get much than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Am i the only one who does'nt care? The special olympics are great for the participants and their friends and families but general sport viewing public have little or no interest. Ya can't take it serious as a sport as the quality is not "world" standard and the participants have varying degrees of disability making it an unfair "competition". Yes sport is about more than winning but i just dont think the special olympics is appealing in a competitive sporting sense and think the media generally cover it so as to be seen as being politically correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

fair point ron but a bit harsh all the same. These guys often train as hard and harder to be the best that they can be. Fair play to them, is a bit typical of the irish begrudging nature that there are people who will write off a gold in an olympic games just because it is the special olympics. Not exactly like we have a plethora of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Fair play to them. Congrats all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Possible future management position for Staunton.

Well done to them, great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great stuff, we seem to have a good medals haul at these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Am i the only one who does'nt care? The special olympics are great for the participants and their friends and families but general sport viewing public have little or no interest. Ya can't take it serious as a sport as the quality is not "world" standard and the participants have varying degrees of disability making it an unfair "competition". Yes sport is about more than winning but i just dont think the special olympics is appealing in a competitive sporting sense and think the media generally cover it so as to be seen as being politically correct.

Be a boring world if we all agreed, but I choose to applaud anyone who overcomes disability to compete (yes, compete). What a world we'd live in if everyone could find that motivation...instead I'm trying to decide whether I should watch Monday's Prison Break or put my new PS3 through its paces...go figure...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fair play to the team and all the different parties involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Good stuff! Congrats to them.

Dont suppose they're free saturday?
    brilliant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Taking this thinking to the extreme means you would only watch champions league and world cup knockout stages as everything else isn't 'world' standard.

I get the point you're trying to make but I don't agree. Sport is about effort and they should be applauded for theirs.

I mean pretty much everything in your argument could be said about the eircom league - well maybe not the 'varying degrees of disability'...but..:D

Regardless you started your post with 'I don't care' and your entitled not to but I don't think they care if you do or not.

It's not about saying 'we're still not good enough at the full game', it's more about saying 'well done them'

WELL DONE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Well done to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well done to all.

Now sack Stan and promote the manager to the senior international side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Well done folks. Thats a great achievement on the final of a world staged tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

well done lads,

Be a boring world if we all agreed, but I choose to applaud anyone who overcomes disability to compete (yes, compete). What a world we'd live in if everyone could find that motivation...instead I'm trying to decide whether I should watch Monday's Prison Break or put my new PS3 through its paces...go figure...:o

NICE POST

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Congratulations to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

great stuff, well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

gosplan wrote: »
    I mean pretty much everything in your argument could be said about the eircom league
    HARSH :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

They definitely get a congratulations from me. :)

Monday's Prison Break was ok, make sure you watch Heroes aswell though! :cool:

Advertisement